Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn (3473 Views)

Paul Allen: Late Microsoft Co-founder's Art Collection Sells For $1.5 Billion / Chinese Vase Valued Below $2,000 Sells For Nearly $9 Million After Bidding War / 517-Year-Old Leonardo Da Vinci's Portrait Of Christ Sells For ₦162.3b (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by IgboticGirl(f): 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2018
Njideka Akunyili Crosby, one of the daughters of late Dora Akunyili, has sold one of her numerous artworks for N1.2 billion ($3.4 million).

In a report by Wall Street Journal, Njideka's highest selling artwork at the moment is a 2017 botanical piece named 'Bush Babies.'

According to the report, New York based art company dealer, Sotheby’s estimated that the 'Bush Babies,' would sell for up to $800,000 but ended up selling for $3.4 million.The 'Bush Babies' artwork was sold during an auction at the Christie's in London, United Kingdom.

The artist, who once sold artworks for $3,000 apiece has joined the leagues of top-flight artists in United States of America and United Kingdom.It was also reported that least 20 public museums are on a waiting list for works which Njideka hasn’t painted yet.
Njideka Akunyili Crosby's laurel list

At 35 years old, Crosby from Eastern Nigeria, has since been awarded the prestigious MacArthur Fellowship. The MacArthur Fellowship, also referred to as the Genius Grant, awards $625,000 to artists, writers, teachers, scientists, entrepreneurs, and people from all works of life who have shown exceptional creativity.

The grant is doled out in instalments, made over a period of five years.

Aside the grant, Njideka has also been decorated with honours for her artworks by the New York’s Whitney Museum of American Art and London’s Tate Modern have come calling.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiSlaGOitvdAhXLq1MKHdN7C6oQqQIIJigAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pulse.ng%2Flifestyle%2Ffood-travel-arts-culture%2Fdora-akunyilis-daughters-artwork-sells-for-n1-2-billion-id8889913.html&usg=AOvVaw3hwEcWkQeb8ylkkK406iqD

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by IgboticGirl(f): 12:36pm On Sep 27, 2018
LASTICALA
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by SimplePlan34: 12:36pm On Sep 27, 2018
Wow congrats girl
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by chriskosherbal(m): 12:37pm On Sep 27, 2018
That's a beautiful art work out there ...

Cuddles
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by IgboticGirl(f): 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2018
FP
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by IgboticGirl(f): 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2018
fp
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by okwabayi(m): 6:22am On Sep 28, 2018
Holy s.hit!
I wonder what white people enjoy in art. Another thing about it is good art pieces appreciate with time. Something created now and sold for $700.00 will possess a resale value of $3,000.00 in about thirty years time, sometimes less.
I am proud of her. I don't know her personally but I share her joy.

1 Like

Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2018
Congrats young lady! Proudly Nigerian but wait, 1.2billion for painting? What makes any art so valuable? What makes some art works sell so high while many others are used to wrap groundnut? Why are some things so extremely overrated in life? What can be done with a piece of art other than just look at it nothing more? Why will digital artists go through more stress to build 3D characters, cartoons, animations etc but get no recognition? Why are some easy talent overrated while more tasking talents not recognised? Why will one frog voice pick mic and sing and get millions while the skilled instrumentalists who did the main work will not be recognised by anyone? One will always keep wondering about this mysterious life.
I will not also labour in vain in life, the works of my hand will be overrated and over paid! Even when I do nothing, it will be seen and paid as something big.

2 Likes

Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by nijabazaar: 4:15pm On Sep 28, 2018
Gratefulheart1:
Congrats young lady! Proudly Nigerian but wait, 1.2billion for painting? What makes any art so valuable? What makes some art works sell so high while many others are used to wrap groundnut? Why are some things so extremely overrated in life? What can be done with a piece of art other than just look at it nothing more? Why will digital artists go through more stress to build 3D characters, cartoons, animations etc but get no recognition? Why are some easy talent overrated while more tasking talents not recognised? Why will one frog voice pick mic and sing and get millions while the skilled instrumentalists who did the main work will not be recognised by anyone? One will always keep wondering about this mysterious life.
I will not also labour in vain in life, the works of my hand will be overrated and over paid! Even when I do nothing, it will be seen and paid as something big.

I understand you totally...

It sounds somehow if i say understood

1 Like

Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by cooljoe7(m): 6:15am On Sep 30, 2018
Wow!! cheesy :-Bravo girl, Art they is priceless..I'm very sure her piece was auctioned to the highest bidder. kiss

See my signature for the best animated advert for your products and services. wink
Re: Dora Akunyili's Daughter's Artwork Sells For N1.2bn by RuggedSniper: 5:14pm On Jun 02, 2020
IgboticGirl:
Njideka Akunyili Crosby, one of the daughters of late Dora Akunyili, has sold one of her numerous artworks for N1.2 billion ($3.4 million).

In a report by Wall Street Journal, Njideka's highest selling artwork at the moment is a 2017 botanical piece named 'Bush Babies.'

According to the report, New York based art company dealer, Sotheby’s estimated that the 'Bush Babies,' would sell for up to $800,000 but ended up selling for $3.4 million.The 'Bush Babies' artwork was sold during an auction at the Christie's in London, United Kingdom.

The artist, who once sold artworks for $3,000 apiece has joined the leagues of top-flight artists in United States of America and United Kingdom.It was also reported that least 20 public museums are on a waiting list for works which Njideka hasn’t painted yet.
Njideka Akunyili Crosby's laurel list

At 35 years old, Crosby from Eastern Nigeria, has since been awarded the prestigious MacArthur Fellowship. The MacArthur Fellowship, also referred to as the Genius Grant, awards $625,000 to artists, writers, teachers, scientists, entrepreneurs, and people from all works of life who have shown exceptional creativity.

The grant is doled out in instalments, made over a period of five years.

Aside the grant, Njideka has also been decorated with honours for her artworks by the New York’s Whitney Museum of American Art and London’s Tate Modern have come calling.

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiSlaGOitvdAhXLq1MKHdN7C6oQqQIIJigAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pulse.ng%2Flifestyle%2Ffood-travel-arts-culture%2Fdora-akunyilis-daughters-artwork-sells-for-n1-2-billion-id8889913.html&usg=AOvVaw3hwEcWkQeb8ylkkK406iqD

(1) (Reply)

Flyer Design For Uniktouch Makeover / Check Out W4's 3D Animated Kontrol Dance Video. / Pls Help! I Want To Learn Auto-card And Archi-card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.