Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,798,562 members, 6,687,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 January 2022 at 03:04 PM

An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa (1959 Views)

Meet Ohanekwu Favour Ebuka, OAU Overall Best Graduating Student With 4.88 CGPA / Snake In FUTA Akindeko Male Hostel! / Meet Akinyele Tobiloba, The Overall Best Graduating Student In FUNAAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2018
To rank the number one student amidst thousands of students across thirty different departments in a top-ranking University of technology in Nigeria is no beans. You know what I mean, right?

Here is Michael, who finished as the overall best graduating student in the entire University.

On two occasions, he miraculously overcame death and came back to life; and if you think financial challenges are enough reason to fail in life, you are so wrong.

Enjoy this interview with Michael and learn from it.

1. YOUR FULL NAME?
Okpara, Michael Obinna

2. COURSE STUDIED, GRADUATION YEAR AND GRADUATING CGPA?
I studied Biochemistry, 2014 Academic Set, C.G.P.A. of 4.84

3. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT COURSE OF YOURS?
My love for Life Sciences drove me to choose Biochemistry for my first degree.

4. CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE ANY DIFFICULTY OR HURDLE YOU FACED WHILE BEING A STUDENT AND HOW YOU OVERCAME?
My most challenging moment was in my first year when I struggled financially. Then, I was unable to afford a room for myself and had to stay with some friends as a “squatter” for over a year. Studying under this condition was very difficult but there was nothing I could do. I only ate what was available and not what was desirable because my budget was very limited. But in my second year, I applied for the Federal Government Scholarship for Undergraduate studies, sat for the examination and was awarded the scholarship. With this scholarship, I could pay my tuition, afford an accommodation, buy most of the items I needed for my studies, and eat what I desired.

5. WHAT IS YOUR PERSONAL MISSION/VISION STATEMENT?
My mission/vision is to be better than I was.

6. WHAT DRIVES YOU TO SUCCESS?
Knowing that being a failure is the only other option is the driving force behind my quest to always attain success.

7. WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES AND DISLIKES?
I love to play football. Though I am a terrible singer, I love listening to good music. I dislike people who live a fake life.

8. WERE YOU IN A LOVE RELATIONSHIP WHILE IN SCHOOL? IF YES, HOW DID YOU COMBINE IT WITH YOUR ACADEMICS WITHOUT ONE AFFECTING THE OTHER? IF NO, WHY?
Yes, I was in a love relationship while in school. Maybe being in a long-distance relationship made it easier for me to put each of them in their rightful place. We would talk and chat every day, catch up on each other’s activities for the day and only see each other during vacations.

9. DID YOU SEE YOURSELF BECOMING THE BEST STUDENT A FEW YEARS BACK AND WHY?
For two reasons, I never thought I would become the best graduating student. Firstly, the financial challenge I faced in my first year limited me in some ways. Secondly, while I could only make 8A’s and a B (in a 4-unit course) in my first semester, a few students made straight A’s. So, I felt I should just focus on graduating with a first class.

10. HOW DID YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS OF BECOMING THE BEST STUDENT?
Until I got to my final year, I never worked towards becoming the best graduating student. For me, if my CGPA did not drop below what it was the previous semester, I was satisfied. Albeit, the target was to always perform better than my previous result.

11. WAS THERE ANY TIME YOU FAILED OR ANYTIME YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR GRADES? CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE?
There was never a time I failed. But there were times I was not happy with my grades. There were some semesters when I would have made straight A’s but would have one B among the A’s. I used to be unhappy about this and could spend a few days taking a retrospective look at the situation and trying to figure out what I did not do right.

12. HOW DID YOU GET OVER IT?
Knowing that there is a new semester and another opportunity for me usually made it easy to forget about it and forge ahead.

13. HAVE YOU HAD ANY CHALLENGE WITH A LECTURER IN THE PAST? HOW DID YOU SCALE THROUGH?
I don’t remember having any challenge with a lecturer. I always did my best to remain anonymous during lectures.

14. WOULD YOU ADVISE STUDENTS TO COMBINE ACADEMICS WITH OTHER ACTIVITIES WHILE ON CAMPUS? WHY?
YES. Personally, I believe that a tertiary institution is not just a place for academics but also a place where young and vibrant minds are exposed to other aspects of life. Combining academics with other relevant activities could provide students with certain experiences which can give them a comparative advantage over those who stick to only academics when they find themselves in the labour market. Being able to combine academics with some relevant activities while in school could make one a strong “competitor” in the “real world”.

15. WOULD YOU SAY YOU HAD MORE FRIENDS OR LOST MORE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF YOUR GOALS AND VALUES? KINDLY EXPLAIN.
I had more friends because of my goals and values. It is only natural to find more students who want to make good grades in school than those who do not care about their grades. When the students who want to make good grades see that your grades are good enough, they want to get acquainted with you, learn how you do it and hope that their grades get better.

16. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A RECIPIENT OF ANY SCHOLARSHIP? HOW DID YOU APPLY FOR IT?
Yes, I have been a recipient of some scholarships. Whenever I come across a scholarship opportunity, usually via notifications by some websites, I go through the criteria for application.

If I meet them, then I ensure I prepare all the required documentation and essays by following the awarders guidelines. I always had it in mind that there were equally good, if not better, students who were also applying for the same scholarship, hence I must make my application distinct.

17. IS THERE ANY HABIT YOU ARE WORKING HARD TO BREAK AND WHAT ARE THE MEASURES YOU ARE TAKING TO BREAK IT?
None comes to mind.

18. DURING YOUR UNDERGRADUATE DAYS, WAS THERE A MISTAKE YOU MADE AND WISHED YOU COULD UNDO?
Read the rest of the interview here: http://explicitsuccess.com/an-interview-with-okpara-michael/
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2018
To rank the number one student amidst thousands of students across thirty different departments in a top-ranking University of technology in Nigeria is no beans. You know what I mean, right?

Here is Michael, who finished as the overall best graduating student in the entire University.

On two occasions, he miraculously overcame death and came back to life; and if you think financial challenges are enough reason to fail in life, you are so wrong.

Enjoy this interview with Michael and learn from it.

1. YOUR FULL NAME?
Okpara, Michael Obinna

2. COURSE STUDIED, GRADUATION YEAR AND GRADUATING CGPA?
I studied Biochemistry, 2014 Academic Set, C.G.P.A. of 4.84

3. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT COURSE OF YOURS?
My love for Life Sciences drove me to choose Biochemistry for my first degree.

4. CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE ANY DIFFICULTY OR HURDLE YOU FACED WHILE BEING A STUDENT AND HOW YOU OVERCAME?
My most challenging moment was in my first year when I struggled financially. Then, I was unable to afford a room for myself and had to stay with some friends as a “squatter” for over a year. Studying under this condition was very difficult but there was nothing I could do. I only ate what was available and not what was desirable because my budget was very limited. But in my second year, I applied for the Federal Government Scholarship for Undergraduate studies, sat for the examination and was awarded the scholarship. With this scholarship, I could pay my tuition, afford an accommodation, buy most of the items I needed for my studies, and eat what I desired.

5. WHAT IS YOUR PERSONAL MISSION/VISION STATEMENT?
My mission/vision is to be better than I was.

6. WHAT DRIVES YOU TO SUCCESS?
Knowing that being a failure is the only other option is the driving force behind my quest to always attain success.

7. WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES AND DISLIKES?
I love to play football. Though I am a terrible singer, I love listening to good music. I dislike people who live a fake life.

8. WERE YOU IN A LOVE RELATIONSHIP WHILE IN SCHOOL? IF YES, HOW DID YOU COMBINE IT WITH YOUR ACADEMICS WITHOUT ONE AFFECTING THE OTHER? IF NO, WHY?
Yes, I was in a love relationship while in school. Maybe being in a long-distance relationship made it easier for me to put each of them in their rightful place. We would talk and chat every day, catch up on each other’s activities for the day and only see each other during vacations.

9. DID YOU SEE YOURSELF BECOMING THE BEST STUDENT A FEW YEARS BACK AND WHY?
For two reasons, I never thought I would become the best graduating student. Firstly, the financial challenge I faced in my first year limited me in some ways. Secondly, while I could only make 8A’s and a B (in a 4-unit course) in my first semester, a few students made straight A’s. So, I felt I should just focus on graduating with a first class.

10. HOW DID YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS OF BECOMING THE BEST STUDENT?
Until I got to my final year, I never worked towards becoming the best graduating student. For me, if my CGPA did not drop below what it was the previous semester, I was satisfied. Albeit, the target was to always perform better than my previous result.

11. WAS THERE ANY TIME YOU FAILED OR ANYTIME YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR GRADES? CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE?
There was never a time I failed. But there were times I was not happy with my grades. There were some semesters when I would have made straight A’s but would have one B among the A’s. I used to be unhappy about this and could spend a few days taking a retrospective look at the situation and trying to figure out what I did not do right.

12. HOW DID YOU GET OVER IT?
Knowing that there is a new semester and another opportunity for me usually made it easy to forget about it and forge ahead.

13. HAVE YOU HAD ANY CHALLENGE WITH A LECTURER IN THE PAST? HOW DID YOU SCALE THROUGH?
I don’t remember having any challenge with a lecturer. I always did my best to remain anonymous during lectures.

14. WOULD YOU ADVISE STUDENTS TO COMBINE ACADEMICS WITH OTHER ACTIVITIES WHILE ON CAMPUS? WHY?
YES. Personally, I believe that a tertiary institution is not just a place for academics but also a place where young and vibrant minds are exposed to other aspects of life. Combining academics with other relevant activities could provide students with certain experiences which can give them a comparative advantage over those who stick to only academics when they find themselves in the labour market. Being able to combine academics with some relevant activities while in school could make one a strong “competitor” in the “real world”.

15. WOULD YOU SAY YOU HAD MORE FRIENDS OR LOST MORE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF YOUR GOALS AND VALUES? KINDLY EXPLAIN.
I had more friends because of my goals and values. It is only natural to find more students who want to make good grades in school than those who do not care about their grades. When the students who want to make good grades see that your grades are good enough, they want to get acquainted with you, learn how you do it and hope that their grades get better.

16. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A RECIPIENT OF ANY SCHOLARSHIP? HOW DID YOU APPLY FOR IT?
Yes, I have been a recipient of some scholarships. Whenever I come across a scholarship opportunity, usually via notifications by some websites, I go through the criteria for application.

If I meet them, then I ensure I prepare all the required documentation and essays by following the awarders guidelines. I always had it in mind that there were equally good, if not better, students who were also applying for the same scholarship, hence I must make my application distinct.

17. IS THERE ANY HABIT YOU ARE WORKING HARD TO BREAK AND WHAT ARE THE MEASURES YOU ARE TAKING TO BREAK IT?
None comes to mind.

18. DURING YOUR UNDERGRADUATE DAYS, WAS THERE A MISTAKE YOU MADE AND WISHED YOU COULD UNDO?
Read the rest of the interview here: http://explicitsuccess.com/an-interview-with-okpara-michael/
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:25pm On Sep 27, 2018
Oh, really interesting success story!
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2018
I wish we all knew the path to success is a mind resolute to succeed in the presence of challenges.
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:26pm On Sep 27, 2018
Kudos to him
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:28pm On Sep 27, 2018
He must have been so determined and unrelenting. I congratulate him for this feat.
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by ExplicitSuccess: 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2018
Wonderful!
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by Vihcahdhez(m): 2:38pm On Sep 27, 2018
Congratulations bro.
Hard work,determination and consistency
I really love this guy.Where are all those students that say being SOCIAL will not make you focus on your studies.It's laziness and unseriousness that's doing you.Shout out to this guy.
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by kennyjam: 2:49pm On Sep 27, 2018
Congrats bro..... May God help us too..
Re: An Interview With The Overall Best Graduating Student In Futa by Hahjascho(m): 4:16pm On Sep 27, 2018
good

(1) (Reply)

The Pressure On “First Class” Graduates. / The Federal Polytechnic Ede Announce Resumption Date / New University Of Benin VC Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.