Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (259540 Views)

Isoko Names And Their English Meaning / Russian Girls Learn Yoruba And Igbo Language / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2020
AmazingELixir:
What about Afonja...?
Afonja is the name of a warrior who once lived and was assasinated in kwara.i wonder why nLDERS call yoruba people that name.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by abdullkabar(m): 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2020
Who go wake up this sleeping thread
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by imam07: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2020
Helianthus:
Have you heard of Baron betting app, the number 1 surest tips and the most expensive app on playstore, you can look it up.... WhatsApp me if interested in having the app at affordable rate. 08119850047
100 Legit cool
Bet safe and win big. smiley
How many millions has the bet app won for you oga. You want to sell app that will make people to loose more money. I have them, d vip too. I don't even use them because it's useless.

7 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by snazzy5050(m): 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2020
1Sharon:

Abeg! How is it possible for the minor tribe to influence the majority ?

Stop reaching.
go and find out about your history, don't go about reading the fake Amazon copy they did for money
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Thirteenblood: 2:58pm On Feb 16, 2020
Wow

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 16, 2020
AkpaMgbor:
Igbo calls it ikwikwi..sounds familiar.
true.

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by loveliveshere: 2:59pm On Feb 16, 2020
NigeriaBam:
I need Yoruba name for "Toad"

And English name for "Opolo"
Toad is konko, sorry I don't know any better way to write it.

Opolo is frog

2 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by iberrylee(m): 2:59pm On Feb 16, 2020
gregyboy:
Ekolo

Is earth worm in benin

My yoruba brothers wouldn't accept we taught them yoruba language inother not to teach them the Royal benin language

Lolzzxxxx you taught us Yoruba but you don't speak the language and how come some of you bear Yoruba name and we don't bear Bini name

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by 1Sharon(f): 3:01pm On Feb 16, 2020
snazzy5050:
go and find out about your history, don't go about reading the fake Amazon copy they did for money

You're the one who needs to find out about your own history and stop reaching

6 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by snazzy5050(m): 3:01pm On Feb 16, 2020
1Sharon:

You're the one who needs to find out about your own history and stop reaching
ok
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by backnbeta(f): 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2020
[quote author=sammyfrosh post=71589830][/quote]
Crocodile is Oni

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by israelmao(m): 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2020
Kudos to researcher.
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by ajebuter(f): 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2020
icon02:
Akurakuda is crocodile not shark

Akurakuda is shark..

Crocodile is ooni

2 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by pjecly: 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2020
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by backnbeta(f): 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2020
loveliveshere:

Opolo is frog
Opolo is konko because frog is the edible one while the nasty one is toad.

4 Likes

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by confiritch(m): 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2020
Zebra is Egbin. Kekete Abila is descriptive.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by walyx(m): 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2020
waoh! educative..
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by frog12: 3:05pm On Feb 16, 2020
very good
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by ajebuter(f): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2020
NigeriaBam:
I need Yoruba name for "Toad"

And English name for "Opolo"

Toad is Akere or Konko

Frog is Opolo

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by LegendHero(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2020
Lokospirit:

Crocodile is Oni' not Akurakuda'
Akurakuda is Whale not Shark.

Crocodile is both oni and Akurakuda.

If you listen to Barrister song “Reality”, he made mention of:

Be so ra yin da Akurakuda, toloyinbo n pe ni crocodile”
(If you turn yourself to Akurakuda that the Englishmen call crocodile).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by ajebuter(f): 3:07pm On Feb 16, 2020
loveliveshere:

Opolo is frog

Toad is also Akere

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by brashear: 3:07pm On Feb 16, 2020
So monitor lizard isn't Antaa. I have always been calling it Antaa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 16, 2020
I was confused too. Barrister used that in one of his songs... Akurakuda t'oloyinbo n pe ni crocodile...

icon02:
Akurakuda is crocodile not shark
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by farem: 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2020
Ìkan and Ikamudu are not the same.
Ikan as translated here is termite BUT Ikamudu is different. Ikamudu is bigger and black. Anywhere just one Ikamudu is, there is always some kind of foul odor.
Termites bites but Ikamudu stings (dreadful, I never came near it, except I want to kill it)
I need to know Ikamudu's correct English name.
Good work, though.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by farem: 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2020
[quote author=sammyfrosh post=71589830][/quote]

Ọ̀nì and not Ooni

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by thundafire: 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2020
I wanted to see just Amotekun to confirm

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by salford1: 3:11pm On Feb 16, 2020
There are no tigers in Africa though, so I wonder how yoruba of olden days had a name for it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by farem: 3:12pm On Feb 16, 2020
gregyboy:
Ekolo

Is earth worm in benin

My yoruba brothers wouldn't accept we taught them yoruba language inother not to teach them the Royal benin language

Poor you! Did you know Yoruba remained official language in Benin Palace until politics, pride and prejudice entered?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by maclatunji: 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2020
Konko= toad
Opolo= frog
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Bakrabas: 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2020
Obokun::: shark

1 Like

Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by Tajbol4splend(m): 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2020
nlPoster:
There should be a dictionary somewhere describing these things.

I agree
Re: Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning by gregyboy(m): 3:15pm On Feb 16, 2020
iberrylee:

Lolzzxxxx you taught us Yoruba but you don't speak the language and how come some of you bear Yoruba name and we don't bear Bini name

This question would have been cleared if you will swallow your pride and pick a benin history book to read

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Igbos come show your proverbs skills / African Weddings From All Over! / Yoruba Idioms: Owe Yoruba, Itunmo Re Ati Lilo Re

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.