Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,949 members, 7,799,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? (2535 Views)

Google Photos Adds Instagram's Feature Called "Memories" / Instagram To Launch A New Feature Called Mute Account / Will You Buy This Phone With 8300mah, 4GB/64GB For 65k? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 4:23pm On Sep 30, 2018
I saw a mid-range tecno phone u can type words into by speaking to it. I needed to get a phone with that feature but i don't know the keyword to use in googling or when asking vendors. I know that voice recognition is the word for this fundamentally. But then, this is also/mainly used to describe the security feature whereby my phone unlocks when it hears ONLY MY voice. What I am looking for instead, is to be able to type my word documents by reading the manuscripts.

Pls, be kind with a bush man like me & help.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by NLbully(m): 5:23pm On Sep 30, 2018
Voice typing and voice unlock
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 30, 2018
dumahi:
I saw a mid-range tecno phone u can type words into by speaking to it. I needed to get a phone with that feature but i don't know the keyword to use in googling or when asking vendors. I know that voice recognition is the word for this fundamentally. But then, this is also/mainly used to describe the security feature whereby my phone unlocks when it hears ONLY MY voice. What I am looking for instead, is to be able to type my word documents by reading the manuscripts.

Pls, be kind with a bush man like me & help.

Not a big deal, Virtually all android phones can do voice typing.

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 30, 2018
Bush man you are, better stay within your boomerang, throw it around your anthill phone, you will hear wuurum wuurum, then pick a race.

3 Likes

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 6:29pm On Sep 30, 2018
greenhulk:

Not a big deal, Virtually all android phones can do voice typing.
I have been avoiding screentouch phones because i find it difficult to type on it. Tnx i now see a good reason to ditch laptop & go fully mobile. Meanwhile, why re people still typing with hand when dis voice typing is such a common android feature? or are there limitations with it? Sorry to bore u with my bushmanic questions.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 6:35pm On Sep 30, 2018
NLbully:
Voice typing and voice unlock
NLbully, Tnx 4 ur kind help to a bushman... instead of bullying him. lol.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2018
dumahi:

I have been avoiding screentouch phones because i find it difficult to type on it. Tnx i now see a good reason to ditch laptop & go fully mobile. Meanwhile, why re people still typing with hand when dis voice typing is such a common android feature? or are there limitations with it? Sorry to bore u with my bushmanic questions.

There are limitations especially with accents. Sometimes the AI might not understand some things u say depending on how u speak. And it doesn't understand pidgin English and might get some local names wrong, e.g if u say Olorunfunmi, don't expect the AI to get that correctly.

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by OVA200(m): 7:29pm On Sep 30, 2018
Man it is simple just download Google keyboard also Gboard you will then allow voice typing on your settings (under language and input) it might require to download some voice sample or so but I won't eat your MB and will be done in less than 10 minutes.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2018
greenhulk:

There are limitations especially with accents. Sometimes the AI might not understand some things u say depending on how u speak. And it doesn't understand pidgin English and might get some local names wrong, e.g if u say Olorunfunmi, don't expect the AI to get that correctly.

May u receive help when u need it in Jesus' name.

3 Likes

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Oluwasaeon(m): 7:42pm On Sep 30, 2018
dumahi:

May u receive help when u need it in Jesus' name.
Amen but what did he say wrong ?
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2018
Oluwasaeon:
Amen but what did he say wrong ?
Who?
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Oluwasaeon(m): 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2018
dumahi:

Who?
I got it now. Thought you were bashing him
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by mu2sa2: 8:26am On Oct 01, 2018
greenhulk:

You are on point. Somebody complained before on nl that Google gives wrong spellings most of the time. I know some people will not have a pleasant user experience with speech apps because of incorrect pronunciation. When you say " gohvanoh" Google won't come up with "governor"; "Kohrent" for current; "nechor" for nature etc. Also, unfamiliar words are liable to be misspelled - letters of such words should be called out quickly ( e.g. f-a-s-h-o-l-a instead of fashola)

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Eberechi24(f): 10:32am On Oct 01, 2018
dumahi:

pls give me your laptop if you are tired of using it. embarassed
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Kennyflyair: 11:08am On Oct 01, 2018
dumahi:

Bro one major limitation with the voice typing is that you'll need to have data every time you want to talk to the phone. Therefore, you can't type with voice if you don't have data.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Nobody: 4:26am On Oct 02, 2018
Kennyflyair:

Bro one major limitation with the voice typing is that you'll need to have data every time you want to talk to the phone. Therefore, you can't type with voice if you don't have data.

Not true. U can still send text messages and take notes using voice typing even without data. Though u won't be able to use Google now for search but then u can't do any search by typing either if u don't have data.

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 4:55am On Oct 02, 2018
Many tanx 2 u mu2sa2, greenhulk & kennyflyair & to u Eberechi24 for ur childlike openness.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by Realboygenius(m): 6:59am On Oct 02, 2018
Do you mean text to speech because I use it on Tecno Spark 2.
Re: Pls, What Is This Phone Feature Called? by dumahi(m): 5:37pm On Oct 02, 2018
Realboygenius:
Do you mean text to speech because I use it on Tecno Spark 2.
No. I mean speech to text instead. That's what i admire gr8ly for promising to save my word processing time & energy. I already have text to speech in my basic Tecno phone but I turned it off. Tnx 4 still caring.

(1) (Reply)

Snapdragon Processors Ranking & Complete List / Tecno Spark 10 Pro Users Thread / RAM And Storage Differences: Infinix Smart 8 Vs Tecno Pop 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.