Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. (61925 Views)

Lockdown: Inter-state Travelling. Share Your Experience. / Canada Is Sad And Depressing:life Experience Of A Nigerian Student In Canada / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by bravesoul247(m): 2:02pm On Oct 06, 2018
mctowel01:
I havent been to any other foreign country other than australia and I ve been living here for over a year now. Life here is generally good and independent. Very conservative, pretty mild racism-compared to what our brothers go through in Europe. What more? I can assure you that here, it is very easy for someone who grew up in nigeria to live a decent life. here. As usual, basic amenities are there to standards and what I love most about here is the fact that the LAW works. I am rest assured that contractual aggreements are usually honored, espescially when compared to nigeria where you get duped and still get the response " shine your eyes next time". Safety is taken very seriously here. Just recently, I heard in the news where bones were found in a bush (unsure whether its human bones)- a thorough police investivation was conducted- and I thought about my country where even real open deaths get swept under the carpet.

Well, no place like home, but with the level of thinking of nigerians I see on nairaland and other social media, I definitely do not want to go back
Good day Boss. How did you migrate there cos I've been planning on doing same too.
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by bravesoul247(m): 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2018
SweetyZinta:
This thread is really interesting, though I don't have the opportunity to travel out yet but when I wish to travel the information here can guide me. I really want to experience life outside Nigeria. Let me start working on my savings though.

I particularly wanted to hear gist about a certain country but I have not heard, I thought our members were worldwide? Someone help me tell Explorers I have not heard from him in ages. I hope all is well?
Which country would that be? We might be sharing same interest you know..
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by SweetyZinta(f): 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2018
bravesoul247:
Which country would that be? We might be sharing same interest you know..

LOL.

Say your own make I know
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by bravesoul247(m): 6:04pm On Oct 06, 2018
SweetyZinta:

LOL.

Say your own make I know
lol...you want to use 419 sense for me abi? I thought it's Lady's first na?

Anyway, mine are Switzerland, Norway and Netherlands... Oya talk your own
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by SweetyZinta(f): 6:13pm On Oct 06, 2018
bravesoul247:
lol...you want to use 419 sense for me abi? I thought it's Lady's first na?

Anyway, mine are Switzerland, Norway and Netherlands... Oya talk your own

Thanks gentleman, mine is Luxembourg and Netherlands
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by smoothvee(m): 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Still in naija. Eyeing Australia though.

Nwanyi awka tie tie, ebe ka isi .. umunocha, umudunu abi nkolofia? Lol I’m from Awkaetiti too
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by mctowel01: 11:25pm On Oct 06, 2018
bravesoul247:
Good day Boss. How did you migrate there cos I've been planning on doing same too.
https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Temple1288(m): 2:13am On Oct 07, 2018
igboboy3:

What's it like for black people in the Deep South? What's the poverty level like? I'm curious about Mississippi

Quite a number of blacks live here, especially students. But to be sincere, racism exists deeply in the South especially MS. Ellisville, Laurel, Southhaven these places are just 'no-go' areas.
There's little of that in Jackson. I can't begin to explain all about life in Mississippi and the entire South, but you'll enjoy life here, live with your two eyes closed (unless you mock the Confederate flag)

Best fact about living in Mississippi is the fact that it won’t drain your bank account. Against a national index of 100, the cost of living index in Mississippi is 89, 11 points cheaper than the national average. Groceries, healthcare, and transportation are all cheaper than the national average here but it’s the housing where you’ll save the most with a super cheap index of 74. With a median home value of $124,000, you can score a house here for almost $50,000 cheaper than the national average, which gets you in a lot sooner and gets you more house for your money.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 07, 2018
smoothvee:

Nwanyi awka tie tie, ebe ka isi .. umunocha, umudunu abi nkolofia? Lol I’m from Awkaetiti too
Nwannem ekenem gi. Abum Onye umunocha

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Babyvet: 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2018
AnthonyAk:
Living in Vancouver, BC, on my toilet as I type this. Life expensive, u work for everything u have.

Ur levels depends on how hard u work and if ur educated.

I work as a software engineer, lost my job in may but by God's grace found a job and starting tomorrow. I make good money but it's not enough to ever buy a home here.

I live alone in a pretty nice apartment in a decent part of town, I can afford anything that I want beyond real estate.

I contribute to my girls school fees so she can graduate and get a decent paying job. Maybe then I'll get married.

I also help some friends and siblings back in nigeria when ever I can.

I really should goto church more because God has always been faithful through out my time here.

There are no handouts here, alot of Africans come here and lose their way to cheap jobs and hustles.

Some work hard, stay in school, graduate, apply themselves in their careers stay and flourish.

Some come and flex and have a good time but they never last long. Sooner or later they are forced out because of immigration.

Others fall into unfortunate circumstances and are forced to leave.

There are others that get their papers but given they never graduated, they can never get good paying jobs

Moving bk to Nigeria as soon I become a citizen next year.

The idea is to land a position at Microsoft, IBM, Google or any of the big boys and transfer to Nigeria.

Hopefully somebody reads this and learns. My only regret is not graduating from school sooner. I was fortunate to finish secobdary school and come here at 16

Just curious , why do want to go back to Nigeria? especially since a lot of Nigerians are running to Canada.
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by AnthonyAk(m): 7:49pm On Oct 07, 2018
Babyvet:

Just curious , why do want to go back to Nigeria? especially since a lot of Nigerians are running to Canada.

There are more opportunities in nigeria...long term

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Babyvet: 8:03pm On Oct 07, 2018
AnthonyAk:

Okay good thing you are waiting till after you get citizenship plus you don’t own an home so you won’t be tied down with a mortgage.
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by AnthonyAk(m): 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2018
Babyvet:

Okay good thing you are waiting till after you get citizenship plus you don’t own an home so you won’t be tied down with a mortgage.

I may still get a mortgage but it depends on if i marry my girl here.

Ideally I want to build/buy a crib in nigeria first.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Babyvet: 9:09pm On Oct 07, 2018
AnthonyAk:

I may still get a mortgage but it depends on if i marry my girl here.

Ideally I want to build/buy a crib in nigeria first.

Is your girl moving to Nigeria with you ?
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by AnthonyAk(m): 9:17pm On Oct 07, 2018
Babyvet:

Is your girl moving to Nigeria with you ?

She'd better be willing. Interracial relationships can be complex when one party dosent want to stay

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Babyvet: 9:25pm On Oct 07, 2018
AnthonyAk:

She'd better be willing. Interracial relationships can be complex when one party dosent want to stay

Lol, then why get a mortage then? You have expressed that you not able to afford a house or are planing on renting it out? If so I would not recommend renting it out because it’s going to be tough for you to manage the rental property if you are in Nigeria . If the tenants don’t pay be that you will be on the hook.
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by mzhorlah(f): 12:53am On Oct 08, 2018
Have never travelled out of this Country (Nigeria) before but I know I will testify soon cheesy
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by AnthonyAk(m): 1:22am On Oct 08, 2018
Babyvet:

Lol, then why get a mortage then? You have expressed that you not able to afford a house or are planing on renting it out? If so I would not recommend renting it out because it’s going to be tough for you to manage the rental property if you are in Nigeria . If the tenants don’t pay be that you will be on the hook.

Oh no, I want to move from this city. Housing is more affordable in Alberta.

I'm looking in the 300 - 400k range for a house. It's not so bad. Mortgage should be just under $2000 per month.

As I said if I get crib for Naija first, this one is just jara
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Olufemi786(m): 5:37am On Oct 08, 2018
Wow, from Page 1-15. learnt alot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by LaJose78(m): 10:42am On Oct 08, 2018
rilil learnt alot frm page 1 down here. One thing I can point to is dt almost evry1 prefers Australia. So can anyone tell me hw much I must av if I wanna go to USA or Australia. The cost of traveling out, (as in, visa, passport, flight nd accommodation).
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by ibrahimovic303: 10:53am On Oct 08, 2018
Babyvet:

I love to network a lot, recently on a transit flight in Doha, I met a Nigerian who should be in his very late thirties or early forties who told me that as soon as he landed a big job with an International firm in London, he worked for two years, then immediately applied for a transfer back to their office in Abuja...he earns over two million per month now....Why wont life be better with that sum in Naija? compared to here where bills upon bills would suck all one´s earnings....that is food for thought for me though
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by Babyvet: 1:03pm On Oct 08, 2018
ibrahimovic303:

I love to network a lot, recently on a transit flight in Doha, I met a Nigerian who should be in his very late thirties or early forties who told me that as soon as he landed a big job with an International firm in London, he worked for two years, then immediately applied for a transfer back to their office in Abuja...he earns over two million per month now....Why wont life be better with that sum in Naija? compared to here where bills upon bills would suck all one´s earnings....that is food for thought for me though

Nothing wrong with that , especially if you work for an international company that still pay well , no matter where you are.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by pussyMagnett: 5:34am On Oct 13, 2018
Very interesting thread
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by bravesoul247(m): 12:44am On Oct 14, 2018
SweetyZinta:

Thanks gentleman, mine is Luxembourg and Netherlands
now you see that our paths align. But i think it's kinda hard to migrate to those countries or what do you think? Do you already have a head start?
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by SweetyZinta(f): 8:21am On Oct 14, 2018
bravesoul247:
now you see that our paths align. But i think it's kinda hard to migrate to those countries or what do you think? Do you already have a head start?

Smiles, I hope to migrate. Let me work on myself and other stuff. God help me
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by olami101: 8:46am On Oct 14, 2018
bravesoul247:
where is this place that you eulogized so much like this,I want to know the country, maybe luck will bring me down their.
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by ahiboilandgas: 8:54am On Oct 14, 2018
AnthonyAk:

hmm this got me ,I have been thinking of leaving Nigeria for Canada but I having a rethink ,I earn around 600 k monthly in nigeria
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by olami101: 9:01am On Oct 14, 2018
I have consulted an agent to help me on my travel plan to united state of America, the day of my interview, I went like every other intending migrants to the embassy in Lagos,that was the day buhari came to visit Lagos,to my surprise, the embassy was luck down,a mail was later sent to my agent email address to rescheduled but,surprising to me,he didn't do it in time,then,the embassy canceled our visa application and ask us to pay another visa fees,considering all this make me agreed with the agent on his suggestion of Uae visa,after so many rigorous, time,money,prayer and effort, I finally travel down to the city of Dubai, life here is to difficult especially if you don't have enough money with you like 500k and above, agent will milk you, landlord or landlady will milk you and people are always ready to take advantage of you anytime and the weather is nothing but killer, most especially if you don't have a good job here,Will be going back to my father's land very soon since I don't choose to be illegal immigrants.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by ahiboilandgas: 9:15am On Oct 14, 2018
BiafraIShere:
Lol, you are gradually becoming funny.
Did you read and understood what I wrote earlier? I said I served in the north, once lived in Abuja and have visited some other areas, I don't have to visit all the northern states and towns before I can know what is happening there!
On your 2nd paragraph, you also missed the point. You said that north supplies 80% of the food consumed in the South and I told you it's a fallacy because the major staple food consumed in the South is garri, rice, yam, cocoyam, vegetables etc and they are largely sourced in the South with others imported. What the north supplies to the south is mainly onions, tomatoes, and a few others while items like livestock and beans are gotten from the north, Niger, Chad, Burkina Faso etc. Now how does these items constitute 80% or you just throw figures about carelessly??

On your third paragraph, thanks for acknowledging the fact that northerners live in shanties all over the south. Again, have you asked yourself how Nigeria would have looked like if Igbos in north as well as Yorubas and other Southerners all chose to live in shanties across the north just like the northerners do in the South?? The whole country would have been filled with slums and the GDP would have been far lower than what it is currently!! When you buy land and develop standard structures or at least rent, you are helping the economy to grow unlike when you live in unsightly shanties!! If Nigeria is not a fake country don't I don't see any reason why rich northerners won't build standard structures in the South. Whatever their reason is, is antithetical to national development, divisive, selfish and parochial.

On your 4th paragraph, you ended up validating my earlier statement that northerners are docile, unambitious and timid. Just look at the examples you are giving as case studies shocked shocked Jesus Christ, how on earth can someone attend Milwaukee school of engineering and studied a high in demand course like software engineering only for him to return to the north and be selling textile materials This is absolute waste of resources, time and money and he ought to be ashamed of himself, no pun intended!! About your second example, this is a common phenomenon because there are thousands of Southerners who studied in the UK and other Western countries who returned afterwards to look for jobs in Nigeria.

Lol, your statement about embassies looking at names and giving Northerners visa than Southerners is nothing but beer parlor gist and fallacy of hasty generalization. Embassies grant visa based on individual reasons for wanting the visa and if they appear genuine enough. I have a brother and sister that were granted visa to the US this year and they have Igbo and Christian names!! This assumption lacks merit and should be thrown into the trash bin until we have strong evidence to back it up.

On your final paragraph, again read what I wrote earlier, this time more slowly. You said north is safe and I asked how is that so when you can't travel on the roads without risking being killed or kidnapped?? What about the killings currently going on a daily basis in states like Plateau, Kaduna, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Borno, Yobe, Zamfara etc or are these not northern states?? What about the former army general who was recently kidnapped and killed while he was on his way to Bauchi?? What about the MTN engineer who was also killed in similar fashion not long ago among others?? How do you explain that more people died in Northern Nigeria this year alone than war torn Syria?? So much for peaceful North.

Now, this is ridiculous, has it gotten to the level of posting two pictures of Maiduguri, and what is spectacular about those pictures?? What point exactly do you want to prove with those mediocre pictures?? FYI, Borno is still receiving its monthly allocations as well as more extra budgets being allocated to it in the name of fighting boko Haram not to mention foreign aids through NGO's.

Northern Nigeria including its leaders and the people are the reason why Nigeria is in this mess and has refused to develop!!

but dangote 14 bn dollars refinery is more than the entire property built in north by southern(5 trillion naira)..rich northern people own property down South in choice area...like Lagos and ibadan.go to agege,festac ikoyi ...any where u here sabo it a northern enclave ....for a successful textile delear in kano is far richer than a soft ware engineer in the us.several successful dealer control over 3 million dollars as capital and earn over 3 million as profit...those shop selling lace in Lagos island are worth millions not on credit but cash....infact the finest houses in banana island is own by a northern sayyu dantata
Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by ahiboilandgas: 9:26am On Oct 14, 2018
BiafraIShere:
Lol, you are gradually becoming funny.
Did you read and understood what I wrote earlier? I said I served in the north, once lived in Abuja and have visited some other areas, I don't have to visit all the northern states and towns before I can know what is happening there!
On your 2nd paragraph, you also missed the point. You said that north supplies 80% of the food consumed in the South and I told you it's a fallacy because the major staple food consumed in the South is garri, rice, yam, cocoyam, vegetables etc and they are largely sourced in the South with others imported. What the north supplies to the south is mainly onions, tomatoes, and a few others while items like livestock and beans are gotten from the north, Niger, Chad, Burkina Faso etc. Now how does these items constitute 80% or you just throw figures about carelessly??

On your third paragraph, thanks for acknowledging the fact that northerners live in shanties all over the south. Again, have you asked yourself how Nigeria would have looked like if Igbos in north as well as Yorubas and other Southerners all chose to live in shanties across the north just like the northerners do in the South?? The whole country would have been filled with slums and the GDP would have been far lower than what it is currently!! When you buy land and develop standard structures or at least rent, you are helping the economy to grow unlike when you live in unsightly shanties!! If Nigeria is not a fake country don't I don't see any reason why rich northerners won't build standard structures in the South. Whatever their reason is, is antithetical to national development, divisive, selfish and parochial.

On your 4th paragraph, you ended up validating my earlier statement that northerners are docile, unambitious and timid. Just look at the examples you are giving as case studies shocked shocked Jesus Christ, how on earth can someone attend Milwaukee school of engineering and studied a high in demand course like software engineering only for him to return to the north and be selling textile materials This is absolute waste of resources, time and money and he ought to be ashamed of himself, no pun intended!! About your second example, this is a common phenomenon because there are thousands of Southerners who studied in the UK and other Western countries who returned afterwards to look for jobs in Nigeria.

Lol, your statement about embassies looking at names and giving Northerners visa than Southerners is nothing but beer parlor gist and fallacy of hasty generalization. Embassies grant visa based on individual reasons for wanting the visa and if they appear genuine enough. I have a brother and sister that were granted visa to the US this year and they have Igbo and Christian names!! This assumption lacks merit and should be thrown into the trash bin until we have strong evidence to back it up.

On your final paragraph, again read what I wrote earlier, this time more slowly. You said north is safe and I asked how is that so when you can't travel on the roads without risking being killed or kidnapped?? What about the killings currently going on a daily basis in states like Plateau, Kaduna, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Borno, Yobe, Zamfara etc or are these not northern states?? What about the former army general who was recently kidnapped and killed while he was on his way to Bauchi?? What about the MTN engineer who was also killed in similar fashion not long ago among others?? How do you explain that more people died in Northern Nigeria this year alone than war torn Syria?? So much for peaceful North.

Now, this is ridiculous, has it gotten to the level of posting two pictures of Maiduguri, and what is spectacular about those pictures?? What point exactly do you want to prove with those mediocre pictures?? FYI, Borno is still receiving its monthly allocations as well as more extra budgets being allocated to it in the name of fighting boko Haram not to mention foreign aids through NGO's.

Northern Nigeria including its leaders and the people are the reason why Nigeria is in this mess and has refused to develop!!

but the finest house in banana island is owned by a northern sayyu dantata ,follow by rabiu isyaku of irs airline,while the largest employer of labour after govt is dangote group with thousand of southerner working there ,while bau cement invested 300 million dollar in edo...which southern has ever invest such sum in North,the north hold 70 percent of Nigeria land mass and 60 of mineral deposit ,there are more southerner living in the north the are around 10 m ibo living ,working in the north, beef,maize ,millet tomato bean ,yam are produced in bulk in the north for the nation ....millet is used in Milo while maize in your beer ...the ibos has dented Nigerians image through drug peddling,419,prostition etc that has underdevelop Nigeria as a sane national

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by ahiboilandgas: 9:46am On Oct 14, 2018
BiafraIShere:
Reading the comments here made me sobber, and angry at the same time. Lately, I'm always battling with my emotions if I made a mistake in deciding to stay in Nigeria. Just look at all the things people are enjoying and taking for granted abroad which we home-based see as luxury!? I had the opportunity to travel to the US this year but I passed it over to my brother and he traveled to the US along with my sister. I thought I would be somewhat okay in Nigeria since I was earning relatively good money (averaging about 250-300k but now seems to be fluctuating downwards) in a not so expensive city. I even installed solar system in my office to overcome the notorious power problem but most times at home, a neighbor will always leave his rickety generator on even late into the night with the noise and fumes constituting serious nuisance!! Nigeria is just a terrible and hopeless place where nothing works yet I'm very reluctant to travel abroad. Someone said that Nigerians are living a mediocre life grin grin If only the politicians and indeed everyone else will be responsible and productive, maybe we won't be in this mess we are currently in. I keep saying it, the problem with Nigeria is majorly caused by the north. Northern Nigeria is largely unproductive and the South has to pay for it by subsidizing them!! If the whole country is working in the same pace then our GDP would have been double of what it is currently and the north won't have been so adamant against restructuring. Nigeria will be in serious trouble if the status quo remains considering that income is likely to fall or at best remain the same while population keeps ballooning!! My ambition has always been to earn enough to travel the world and send my children abroad for good education but this country is so unpredictable and with buhari staying beyond 2019, I don't know what the future holds in stock for us. So sad.
selling drugs and prostituting in Europe or fake Aba made thing is not adding to GDP......northerner are in farms working hp u know 70 percent of Nigeria GDP is in agriculture and the north hold 70 percent of Nigeria land mass for farming ... ..u need some education opening big church's is north sign of developments

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. by AnthonyAk(m): 8:46pm On Oct 14, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
hmm this got me ,I have been thinking of leaving Nigeria for Canada but I having a rethink ,I earn around 600 k monthly in nigeria

600k is not bad at all. Going abroad only works if you have a plan.

It works even better for those that are bi coastal.

Personally long term Naija is the goal cause of connections. Once I become a Canadian I can always fall back is needed.

I'm fortune as I'm single with no kids. My siblings can no longer just pack up as their kids are settled here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos / 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. / Nigerian Woman, Sarah Soyemi Brutalized By Canadian Police Officers (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.