Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria (39412 Views)

SME30 Challenge To Reward Small Business Owners In Nigeria / Professional Bill Of Material for Bakery and Eatery / Trend For Bakery And Bread Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by nzube89(m): 5:19am On Jan 15, 2019
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by chinnyonwu(m): 5:42am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:
I have this strong desire for a bakery business and I am looking forward to starting one soon.

I was told by a member here that one could start a bakery business with 600k or even less. I need people who are into this business to please come in here and share their experiences and any helpful information for intending bakery owners here.

Please, I want this thread to be solely for those who have anything meaningful to contribute to the subject and not some unnecessary adverts and noise. Thank yhu all in advance.

First, i will advice u to intern with a bakery even if for a few months to enable you learn the ropes (at least the basics).

A family friend of mine who ran a bakery lamented not being properly informed.

He says he spent so much on a much bigger generator than he needed (which led to increase in diesel consumption and thus, cost of production).
He also lamented not starting with a local oven cos the foreign ovens repairers were more difficult to find and more expensive to fix.
He also battled bitterly with getting staff to stop stealing from him and remit money they collected for the day's sales.

These are the few in my head right now which is why i think u should try to learn how these issues are managed first.

You didnt state you location, im in the business of selling baking materials at affordable prices. We supply to aba, umuahia, Port Harcourt, uyo, eket, abak, calabar, bayelsa.

0 8 0 three seven two three seven nine four nine.

Cheers

12 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by ibrokay(m): 5:44am On Jan 15, 2019
michaelala:

Sir, if you want to make premium bread that stands out, then you must be concerned about the kind of equipment you use.

I don't understand what you mean by premium bread. Forget about all those grammar bro. I have been in the business for more than 3years, quite stressful but rewarding. You will face so many challenges, most baker's will not release their formulas and to get honest staffs and manager is a big challenge. So many things involved. I can even write a book on bakery business now. grin

5 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by banio: 5:59am On Jan 15, 2019
I am here to learn
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by donpata(m): 6:16am On Jan 15, 2019
I have been in the baking world for over 10yrs. Took a Break. will return here to state my experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2019
Op can you bake? Bake one bread first lets see.

Must you start on a large scale?

Start small scale first and gather experience and solid reputation.

Location, planning, design, structure and integrity, these are a some of the key factors you must consider.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Godsfavour78: 6:59am On Jan 15, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
who told you Lebanese are not spiritually strong sir?...you are very funny!!....the only part I agree in your post is Jesus has all the powers..hit please don't be naive,even people selling borehole water 10 naira and 20 naira know what they are facing
I didn't say all Lebanese. I am talking about some specific set of Lebanese people. And I said base on what i observe. Which means i might be wrong.

And location and customers experience is almost the most important factor all things being equal
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Isoduwa(m): 7:00am On Jan 15, 2019
khatea:
Nice thread Op

I'm in the packaging sector, we supply both plain and printed Bopp bread wrappers. I presently do have a client who wants to start up newly in Ogun state and so, I'll ask him to give me step by step details of his expenses so far wc I'll post here once he does

So make we dey wait you and your friend abi?
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by sylve11: 7:02am On Jan 15, 2019
Ruddyman:
Ndi bread......

grin grin cool
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by introvertme: 7:12am On Jan 15, 2019
963AvatarSpirit:
Bakery is now every where. Every minimart and super market in my vicinity at Lekki has their own bakery. I kid you not. I do not see why people should buy bread when you can bake it for consumption right from your home oven that comes with the stove.

It is just butter, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, sugar or sacarine and some other additives in a pan and at the right temperature.

Such a simple stuff or buy the rotary electric oven around a few millions and start making all sort of wheat products.

Gamble to loose but win eventually with a crack team of salesmen

No time For this.

It might even taste completely different

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Rebuke: 7:21am On Jan 15, 2019
collinskoko14:
Am a Chef/Baker so if any of my services are needed do feel free to contact me on
08030854475 on WhatsApp
09050253837 on Voice call

Great. I love the simplicity and neatness of that set up. I will contact you bro.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 15, 2019
Nice thread and comments.

Somebody has already involved juju.

I wish your location is Abuja.

And you produce a good quality bread.
Even if you are in one bush there, people must locate you and you will sell.
When I was there, I patronize only one bakery. The worst is that their bread can only be bought from their shops and it's far from my end.
Bread makers can never be enough.

About your marketers, they pay them according to the number of breads they sell.
Bear that in mind please.

7 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by akinlolumichael(m): 7:37am On Jan 15, 2019
I don't really know the kind of bread u want to do. If it is to be the normal agege bread you can start with 600k or even less. Ask me how? You don't need to buy all the equipment for start. You just have to rent a bakery and join association, then you start. With 600k, you are good to go. But there is disadvantage in it. The only disadvantage is that you will pay the owner of the bakery per bag of flour you bake... I have done it and it work for me. Now I have my own bakery...

4 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by bankylan: 7:39am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:
Ah, I almost forgot o. I have been hearing alot about butterfield and happy chief(Big treat)

I was told their d best in Naija. I have eaten quite a lot of bread already, both inclusive bt I don't want to b the judge.

Please, I want yhur opinion on the taste.

Butterfield all the way for me....I buy it at least 5 days in a week.

Will you prefer a bread that taste more like the above mentioned or something even better.

I will list more brand later and I will b glad if we all pls drop our opinion.

Though I have my own recipe alrdy, it's a foreign based brand and mine is going to taste so much like it.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Asour: 7:44am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:
Ok, today I was to meet one of the bakery owner and he later cancelled the appointment due an emergency, according to him.

Well, I won't stop till I gather reasonable infor and enough knowledge.

Somehow, this thread is becoming my own diary. Hmmmm.

I didn't create this thread for myself o. If this continues, wll leave the thread but I promise to share pix of my bakery once its opened.

Hope say una go patronise me wella sha. Watch out for me.

I don't know a lot about bakeries BUT seeing you struggle to get info both here and with real bakers, I would proffer a solution.

Get one or two good/practically inclined books on (production) baking.

And watch as many videos as possible on YouTube to supplement, making your own tweaks where necessary. It is just pricing/sizing that you have to look around to understand (since you'll still sell in a local market) . And that should not be a problem.
In this age, More than any other time in history, access to Information cannot be the problem.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by staffingx: 7:45am On Jan 15, 2019
For those with experience in the business, how much profit margin is to be expected from every production cycle? For instance how much is the profit margin from one bag of flour?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Rebuke: 7:56am On Jan 15, 2019
Visenya:
First of all, what type of bakery do you intend on opening. Is it just bread, small chops, cakes etc. I suggest you start small. I run a home bakery here in the North and for now, I only make cakes because I'm very good at it. Took me 50k to get all my starter baking equipment from Yola. I got an oven of 80k and Generator of 90k. To be honest when I entered cake house in Jimeta Market, I was confused. I had so much to buy with so little money, I almost cried. But I had to prioritize.
I went for hand mixer 8k instead of the smallest standing mixer there 19k. I got 4 pans, nozzle set, fondant equipment and much more. To be very honest with you I make nothing less than 70k on a very good week and 30 - 45k on a very bad week. I have a lot of customers and I deliver my best.

Now, you have way much capital than me when I started, you can do better. Work with what you have, work within your budget. Anyone telling you, you need mixer or oven of 500k to 1m is not good at giving advice. You can start at home, share flyers along your street and beyond. You will definitely get customers and as time goes on and you expand because you definitely will, you can now start buying sophisticated equipment one at a time.
God bless your hustle

Oh my! This is the kind of person I want to hear from. Practical xperience. Yhu jxt increased my zeal n passion.

If yhu don't mind, I wil love to contact yhu.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Joemetry(m): 8:04am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:
I have this strong desire for a bakery business and I am looking forward to starting one soon.

I was told by a member here that one could start a bakery business with 600k or even less. I need people who are into this business to please come in here and share their experiences and any helpful information for intending bakery owners here.

Please, I want this thread to be solely for those who have anything meaningful to contribute to the subject and not some unnecessary adverts and noise. Thank yhu all in advance.

You opened this thread just the time I need it.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Sormeh: 8:04am On Jan 15, 2019
For low cost, top quality bread packaging and wrapping bags, call or Whatsapp me on 0 8 0 three eight six three six nine nine four.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Boyooosa(m): 8:56am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:

Ok. I appreciate yhur contribution bro.

I have 3 locations in mind at d moment: Oyo State (Ibadan), Lagos and Ogun State.

Any idea of what it will cost to start up in any of these locations? Also, the chance of making reasonable profits over time. Ose
Those first two reasonable comments are the best shots. Don't be lazy, investment requires more than online enquiry. Online enquiry is good when u r making moves, updating online and getting practical advice as necessary.
1, do ur feasibility right (practical not phone or enquiry)
2. Get ur figures (market price ) both on cost and expenditure.
3. Find out the potententials in the business (online can work a bit here but not as effective as ur local area market survey) get it and accurately.
4. Determine your start up capital (which u r assuming 600k), bep, roi and other logistics from day 1 (ie business plan).
5. Most importantly, 600k can only do Nada! That's just the basic truth.
Mind you, if u want to have peace of mind, do all the necessary registrations and get the necessary license(s) to run the business. Join or affiliate ur self with relevant association or organisations will help u run ur biz with peace (talking from experience tho).
Now, let's do small calculation;
Bakery rent or acquisition, nowhere u won't need lesser than 250k. Locally constructed 25kg mixer won't cost u lesser than 150 - 200k, befitting regulated baking oven1.5-2.5, if u need result.
Materials, other tools, workers salary must be projected for at least 6months b4 profit expectation.
All these things are the things u need to put into consideration.
Wish u well tho.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by coolie1: 9:08am On Jan 15, 2019
gypsey:
Bakery? are you fa real? people are opening Church business and collecting thithe and donations, others are becoming polithiefcians and you want to burn your ass Baking bread? grin

Good luck with that.
bro be responsible these are words of wisdom you don't have to embezzle people of their money you can do it the right way
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Sunmolar(m): 9:22am On Jan 15, 2019
if your land & vehicle is in place,a budget of 1m will get you the registration, production room, mud oven, milling machines,pan and the ingredients for start up in small capacity.

Even a steel-brick insulated oven alone could cost you as much as #600k.it depends on...projection & standard of quality & efficiency.

a lister milling machine plus installation may cost you #200k.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by tubouncen(m): 9:30am On Jan 15, 2019
Rebuke:

Ok. I appreciate yhur contribution bro.

I have 3 locations in mind at d moment: Oyo State (Ibadan), Lagos and Ogun State.

Any idea of what it will cost to start up in any of these locations? Also, the chance of making reasonable profits over time. Ose

I'm a technical consultant... I set up, install and repair bakery equipments... 07030948888

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by uwelaa(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2019
nice to have guyz here. pls I am a profesional Baker Am avaliable if any vacancy. Thank you.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by uwelaa(m): 9:36am On Jan 15, 2019
uwelaa:
nice to have guyz here. pls I am a profesional Baker Am avaliable if any vacancy. Thank you.

my number is 07082221857
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Nyamo: 9:38am On Jan 15, 2019
To start a bakery business,

*You need to define your target market *Determine the scale of production (Large Scale Mass Production or a Pilot One Stop Shop)) *Determine Product type(Standard or Premium Brands). Therefore depending on which of the options you chose enumerated above you can plan the capital outlay. The larger the scale of production the higher the capital outlay in terms of size of equipment and raw materials.

However with only N600k, I will advise you begin on a small scale (ONE STOP SHOP PILOT scheme) to taste the market, see what consumers around prefer and then increase production as demand increases. With this you wont need a delivery van for distribution and other incidental costs that is associated with Mass Production.

*N350K can get you home made fairly used (second hand) electrical Mixer & Oven.

*Rent a small Shop and partition it with N100K where you do your production and and display your products.

*Use N100 to buy start up raw materials like few bags of flour, additives, packing leather etc.

*N50k shall be your working capital to meet staff costs, utilities and other exigencies. Good luck brother.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Olababa9(m): 9:38am On Jan 15, 2019
This nice Op... God bless you.
To Start up a bakery depend on the standard you want.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by uwelaa(m): 9:49am On Jan 15, 2019
first and formost, pls I want to ask are u in lagos? I am a cook, chef, and a baker.I am avaliable for any vacancy. For buttterfield bread if you ask me, my opinion and answer is No they are not best as far as bread production is concern. bread deepened on the mixture, the mixer and the oven. a baker must master this three things to get a complete result. e.g continually using your oven togather with your mixer pluse perfect mixing will give you a satisfactory result.

3 Likes

Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by uwelaa(m): 9:50am On Jan 15, 2019
uwelaa:
first and formost, pls I want to ask are u in lagos? I am a cook, chef, and a baker.I am avaliable for any vacancy. For buttterfield bread if you ask me, my opinion and answer is No they are not best as far as bread production is concern. bread deepened on the mixture, the mixer and the oven. a baker must master this three things to get a complete result. e.g continually using your oven togather with your mixer pluse perfect mixing will give you a satisfactory result.
am always avaliable in 07082221857
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by shinricks: 9:52am On Jan 15, 2019
i have locally Fabricated Oven for sales that can bake One bag of flour call or whatsapp 08038791655 if you are interested.
Re: Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria by Guruindahouse(m): 9:54am On Jan 15, 2019
I got your points. I concur with the bolded. I have countless of folks in diaspora that regreted Investing in Naija. Even when you are on ground, the heartless ones have their ways to run people coming abroad down. My first job was with a man that had lived in USA for 25yrs to establish a company, and he spent close to 30million naira on the projects. To cut the story short, some workers colluded and ran the company down. This man is dead now.
AreaFada2:

Actually many diaspora people do lots in absentia. Building houses, running hotels, processing plants, farms, pure water factories, etc.

The idea is to come visit Nigeria regularly.
Time was when people were a bit more honest
. If you left abroad over 20 years ago, you might not realise how things have changed. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photo: Who Can Tell The Source Of This Money? / Tomato Price Crashes As Ghana, Cameroon Supplies Hit Nigerian Markets / Olasele Anthony Accuses Polaris Bank Of Freezing His Account, Claiming He’s Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.