Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,251 members, 7,807,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

The End Of Marriage As We Know It - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The End Of Marriage As We Know It (2383 Views)

10 Lessons I Learnt In My 10 Years Of Marriage / Egyptian Woman Divorces After 2 Weeks Of Marriage, Husband Does All The Chores / Court Dissolves Marriage As DNA Reveals Child’s Paternity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The End Of Marriage As We Know It by antagonist: 3:31pm On Oct 02, 2018
UK:

Straight couples to be allowed to enter civil partnerships

Straight couples are to be allowed to enter into civil partnerships instead of getting married, Theresa May reveals to the Evening Standard today.

The Prime Minister said that for the first time ever gay and straight people will have “the same choices in life”.

Some 3.3 million couples in the UK live together but are not married, nearly half of them with children. Despite fully sharing their financial responsibilities, the families lack the full legal rights offered by marriage or civil partnerships.

Mrs May said: “This change in the law helps protect the interests of opposite-sex couples who want to commit, want to formalise their relationship but don’t necessarily want to get married. 

“As Home Secretary, I was proud to sponsor the legislation that created equal marriage. Now, by extending civil partnerships, we are making sure that all couples, be they same-sex or opposite-sex, are given the same choices in life.”

Civil partnerships were introduced under Tony Blair in 2004 to give gay people a right to marry in all but name. 

The milestone reform was limited to gay people because of fears among traditionalists that it would compete with marriage.

“There are all sorts of reasons why people may choose not to marry,” said Ms Mordaunt. “By giving couples this option we hope to give them and their families more certainty and security.”

In June the Supreme Court ruled in favour of Rebecca Steinfeld, 37, and Charles Keidan, 41, from London, who demanded the right to legal recognition of their relationship without “patriarchal baggage”.

The court decided the Civil Partnership Act 2004 – which only applies to same sex couples – was incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights.

Source:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/straight-couples-to-be-allowed-to-enter-civil-partnerships-theresa-may-reveals-a3950956.html

Lalasticlala mynd44 dominique

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by babyfaceafrica: 7:59pm On Oct 02, 2018
terrible decision
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 02, 2018
good. its a welcome development maybe all these stabbing and entitlement will end

7 Likes

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Ishilove: 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2018
And these people keep mocking God

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by bukatyne(f): 11:00pm On Oct 02, 2018
What is the practical difference between marriage, civil partnership and cohabiting?
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Seahawk: 5:33am On Oct 03, 2018
Oh how are we going to survive now that people who don’t want to get married get to have other options?

Sigh. everyone will do what they want.
Those who are appalled. On whose behalf are you appalled? If you want to get married, no one will force you to go into a civil partnership.
If you want a civil partnership, no one will force you to get married. If you want to stay single, no one will force you otherwise.

8 billion people on earth and counting. I’m sure EVERYONE will a situation that works for them.

As usual, sensationalist/alarmist thread on an issue because it doesn’t buy into the mainstream ideas of how others should live.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Seahawk: 5:35am On Oct 03, 2018
bukatyne:
What is the practical difference between marriage, civil partnership and cohabiting?

I wonder too.

Maybe no rigorous divorce process when the couple wants to dissolve the partnership? No vows or rings or claims to monogamy (at least official monogamy). Wish I knew. Each to their own

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by YourCoffin: 7:57am On Oct 03, 2018
Does it mean no alimony payments and property sharing incase of dissolution of partnership?
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Daeylar(f): 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
Seahawk:

I wonder too.

Maybe no rigorous divorce process when the couple wants to dissolve the partnership? No vows or rings or claims to monogamy (at least official monogamy). Wish I knew. Each to their own

Maybe.
If this is the case then I can see how it would be attractive.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by crackhaus: 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2018
Nothing new to this, just making it legal is all.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by crackhaus: 9:28pm On Oct 03, 2018
bukatyne:
You're asking a question you already know the answer to.

Practically, there's obviously no difference.

Legally and religiously (for people like Ishilove), there's a big difference.

I wonder why any man should even get married when he has the option of a civil partnership.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2018
crackhaus:

I wonder why any man should even get married when he has the option of a civil partnership.

I am a woman, and I also prefer civil partnerships.
It is therefore not a man thing but a person thing I believe.
Some people are commitment-phobic, and in this case, when they are in love they can be in a union with all the benefits without feeling trapped
It is a thing of joy (for the said phobes cheesy)

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Ishilove: 10:26pm On Oct 03, 2018
crackhaus:

The word of God is a standard. If us human beings like we can twist and pervert everything to suit our own selfish carnality, but it still won't change the Word. Marriage was instituted by God, but because we want to eat our cake and have it, we are now turning the process upside down

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by crackhaus: 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2018
merahki:

I am a woman, and I also prefer civil partnerships.
It is therefore not a man thing but a person thing I believe.
Some people are commitment-phobic, and in this case, when they are in love they can be in a union with all the benefits without feeling trapped
It is a thing of joy (for the said phobes cheesy)
Ohh this is good, I wish more women would take their mind off marriage and just enjoy being together in civil unions, make babies, and live...but alas, you're an exception and wishes are not horses.

I'd like to make a correction though, if you don't mind.
LOVE itself is a commitment, just in case you were of the opinion that being commitment-phobic is a reason not to get married.
The true "phobes" don't even fall in love.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by crackhaus: 10:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
Ishilove:

The word of God is a standard. If us human beings like we can twist and pervert everything to suit our own selfish carnality, but it still won't change the Word. Marriage was instituted by God, but because we want to eat our cake and have it, we are now turning the process upside down
A submissive wife you will make, lucky is the man who has you in his home.

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Ishilove: 11:20pm On Oct 03, 2018
crackhaus:

#fact
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by weyreypey: 3:07am On Oct 04, 2018
crackhaus:

Ishilove? Hmmm be careful you don't jam her in the wrong moment. She's a wife already with kids. If not I'd have carried her since
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 5:24am On Oct 04, 2018
crackhaus:

Ishilove? A submissive wife? That deranged feminist. Abi na pity u suppose they pity the husband.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 04, 2018
Pipedreams:

Ishilove? A submissive wife? That deranged feminist. Abi na pity u suppose they pity the husband.

Ishilove isn't a feminist.

weyreypey:

Ishilove? Hmmm be careful you don't jam her in the wrong moment. She's a wife already with kids. If not I'd have carried her since

Lies. She isn't married.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 04, 2018
Seahawk:
Oh how are we going to survive now that people who don’t want to get married get to have other options?

Sigh. everyone will do what they want.
Those who are appalled. On whose behalf are you appalled? If you want to get married, no one will force you to go into a civil partnership.
If you want a civil partnership, no one will force you to get married. If you want to stay single, no one will force you otherwise.

8 billion people on earth and counting. I’m sure EVERYONE will a situation that works for them.

As usual, sensationalist/alarmist thread on an issue because it doesn’t buy into the mainstream ideas of how others should live.

You type like cococandy. So ,you have more than 1 account.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 04, 2018
bukatyne:

Government involvement and Legality the rest is just good ol shackling together
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by weyreypey: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2018
Elder0001:

Ishilove isn't a feminist.

Lies. She isn't married.
Ishilove is married with kids

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 04, 2018
weyreypey:

Ishilove is married with kids

How did you know this?

Ishilove isn't married.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Seahawk: 2:20pm On Oct 04, 2018
Elder0001:

You type like cococandy. So ,you have more than 1 account.

Yes Cococandy is banned. You must need reading glasses if you’re on the kitchen thread and don’t know this is my account for 2 years now.

Anyway....After making all that noise about deactivating , you added another 0 to your account and continued your fake feminism and derailing threads huh.

You’re not serious.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by weyreypey: 2:31pm On Oct 04, 2018
Elder0001:

How did you know this?

Ishilove isn't married.
Be careful stop talking anyhow about someone's housewife.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2018
Seahawk:

Yes Cococandy is banned. You must need reading glasses if you’re on the kitchen thread and don’t know this is my account for 2 years now.

Anyway....After making all that noise about deactivating , you added another 0 to your account and continued your fake feminism and derailing threads huh.

You’re not serious.

You need to learn how to respect women and together we'll make the world a better place by making sure everyone living on earth supports feminism.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Eketem: 3:59pm On Oct 04, 2018
bukatyne:

Co habbiting and civil partnership the difference is with civil partnership one can list the partner as next of kin in case of emergency and they can benefit from each other's health insurance, and have other legal rights a couple has without being married
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 04, 2018
crackhaus:

Ohh this is good, I wish more women would take their mind off marriage and just enjoy being together in civil unions, make babies, and live...but alas, you're an exception and wishes are not horses.

I'd like to make a correction though, if you don't mind.
LOVE itself is a commitment, just in case you were of the opinion that being commitment-phobic is a reason not to get married.
The true "phobes" don't even fall in love.

Hello, and thank you for the correction. And I do not mind at all. For some people, even though they hear and learn and or even know about the commitment-as-love law (okay), love is something they emote more, (I honestly hope there is a thing like what I just "spoke" now). Maybe the commitment part of it may be beyond them for some reason or none. Well, let's call what they do/practice fake love then, but they feel it cheesy. A certain demographic of people feel that way, and that feeling of love is their truth, however fleeting or lasting, and civil partnerships come to the rescue, to solve the problem of entrapment. Even plain old shacking up might work for these people better than marriage. My pen ran away from me there!

But why would you wish more women would take their minds off marriage? The majority of people want marriage, and besides, these women are not marrying themselves. Why, it is not even women who propose! Who are those people marrying these women who only breathe and live marriage? Aliens?
Anyway, I know I am in the minority, the surely very tiny percentage, I dunno, but guessing 2 percent? of people who feel this way, and this is my weak (but from my heart) defence of my truth.
Cheers
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by ednut1(m): 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2018
Ishilove:
And these people keep mocking God
is God complaining U cant force people to marry this is 21st century. Most of the people in the uk are not religious dey dont care about God
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by revolt(m): 8:19pm On Oct 04, 2018
Bring this to nigeria quickly plssssssssss. Let relationships be based on mutual efforts by both parties not people hiding behind the marriage act to misbehave cos of consequences the state hands down thus using it to torment a spouse.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by revolt(m): 8:24pm On Oct 04, 2018
Ishilove:

unfortunately your kind are becoming extinct . If u were in the majority homes wouldn't b breaking eeryday. Hope others learn from u.
Re: The End Of Marriage As We Know It by crackhaus: 11:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
merahki:

Hello, and thank you for the correction. And I do not mind at all. For some people, even though they hear and learn and or even know about the commitment-as-love law (okay), love is something they emote more, (I honestly hope there is a thing like what I just "spoke" now). Maybe the commitment part of it may be beyond them for some reason or none. Well, let's call what they do/practice fake love then, but they feel it cheesy. A certain demographic of people feel that way, and that feeling of love is their truth, however fleeting or lasting, and civil partnerships come to the rescue, to solve the problem of entrapment. Even plain old shacking up might work for these people better than marriage. My pen ran away from me there!

But why would you wish more women would take their minds off marriage? The majority of people want marriage, and besides, these women are not marrying themselves. Why, it is not even women who propose! Who are those people marrying these women who only breathe and live marriage? Aliens?
Anyway, I know I am in the minority, the surely very tiny percentage, I dunno, but guessing 2 percent? of people who feel this way, and this is my weak (but from my heart) defence of my truth.
Cheers
Lol..
Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Conflicted: Please Advise Me. / Nigerian Families Face Deportation From Uk / Again! Naija Guy Weds Oyinbo Grand Mama.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.