Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,717 members, 7,805,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? (21006 Views)

Stammering: Steps On How To Reduce It And Speech Therapy / Thread On How To Stop Stammering / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by kroger: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
Pipedreams:
At OP do not mind the jobless youths and kids on this forum. This is the best time to encourage your kid. I stammered too when i was very young and instead of parents and siblings to assist me overcome it i was mocked. This caused me to struggle with my self esteem. Thank fully I have out grown it and more and more confident in each passing day. I still stammer a lil tho but its under control.

Solution:

Correct your child with love and tell him to take a deep breath and repeat the word slowly. Scold anyone who mocks him. Also, let him mix alot with his peers and kids activities such as sunday school acting, singing etc

My his grace he will overcome.

Shalom

#2000 worth of recharge card for you boss.. I was a stammering when I was much younger. . but I kept working on myself and I outgrew it. Though I still stammer a lil when I am angry or excited ..
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by jasysandra(f): 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2018
henwealth:
Try and get a snail shell �, clean one. early in the morning let the child use it to drink water even,before talkin to anyone. Do it for 3weeks and u see the changes
grin grin
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by marsh4332(m): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2018
He should sing more often, rap music especially. It worked for me.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Yankee101: 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2018
Professional speech therapist.

You can also watch some YouTube videos and read relevant books on how to help while he gets professional help
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by gbengaoyeladun(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
I .........d...on..t.......kno...w ....what...t......to..to.2......say
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by jbtobsyn(m): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
perfectcrown:

And so?! So bcus it worked for A,so it will also work for B,abi?

@OP,all u need do is to be VERY patient with him/her,ok? He/she will come thru...

U can search on GOOGLE for further help.

So because patience worked for A means it will work for B abi?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by onatisi(m): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
peteruuu:

You got my Like on this heh!.
I'm a mild stammerer wink
same as me , when i was young it was very bad , but when i was young and i want to say about 500 words in 30seconds and i start stammering , my mom will just tell me to shut up , and then tell me to start speaking the words one at a time , it may take time and practice but eventually the stammering reduced , although i still stammer when i am angry and i want to pour all my mind out in seconds. grin
kwam1 was and is still a stammerer but he too has learnt to pick his words , as we grow older we tend to have control over our temperament and eventually control the stammering , that is why it is important not to let the poor boy have any negative thought or trauma about it as this may affect him psychologically as he will tend to see himself inferior to others

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by kidman96(m): 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Please, what can I do to help my 5 year old to stop stammering?

I live in Lagos and I seem unable to find a speech therapist around.

I am getting so frustrated.

Thanks so much.

Monitor him whenever he speaks and compel him to talk slower, make him or tell him to breathe deeper while he speak,and monitor his shoulders and chest. If he chests out and raises his shoulder naturally he is more likely to stammer when he speaks. So watch him and if he chests out force him to hunch but not too deep and teach him to relax his shoulders. People mostly stutter when they are anxious, angry or agitated and this is because they tend to want to say more words with shorter breathes.... So let the emphasis be on his breathes and the natural positions of his chests and shoulders.

Also monitor his jaws when he speaks. Make sure he is moving his jaws and entire mouth when he speaks.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by cedar3: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2018
coolcatty:

They are very correct...my niece used to be a chronic stammerer..those ones that used to stamp their feet before speaking...but she stopped when her grandmother used slap to reset her brain...most of these myopic remedies work.....
all this slap slap slap, kini e? OK Granny use slap take correct the stammering but at what expense? The child's self esteem?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by idonhammer: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2018
[quote author=dundunni01 post=71733406]Don't bother yourself Nature will take care it.One day u will Wake up and see that the stammering is gone. it happens to my first daughter wen she was 5yrs but now she is fine and making us proud in school and she is 12yrs now. /quote]
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Gerrard59(m): 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2018
oyejideogunjumo:
I was able to get it out of my son.
Stamerring is as a result of impatience and agressiveness. Any time he wants to talk,telling him to keep quiet and start to talk steadily and patiently but u really need to be at hos neck to always talk gently
With time he will overcome because he is still young. My son I s above 20 now and we'll balanced in speech. Don't stop until he overcomes it.

victorian:
Op, Make your child love you and NOT fear you.

It's the fear, he has towards you and possibly his teachers in school, maybe they beat him with cane every time, that's why he stammers.

Stammer is caused by Fear and mockery when he's trying to say some words.

Show him more love and make him become calm and at ease in your presence. With time, he will relax and stop stammering. Hug him often and teach him to breathe deep and be calm before saying anything. Anyone who laughs at him should be rebuked on the spot. With time he will overcome it.

Not true.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stammering/

But your solutions are on point.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Josh44s(m): 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2018
henwealth:
Try and get a snail shell �, clean one. early in the morning let the child use it to drink water even,before talkin to anyone. Do it for 3weeks and u see the changes

Which coast of Nativr doctor do you represent bro?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Cozydaniel(m): 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2018
I feel your distress. Just teach him to speak more calmly and please stop people around him from laughing at him when he stammers. Be very serious and firm about this because the more he gets laughed at, the more his self-confidence decreases and this will not help his case at all.

I hope he overcomes this challenge. Best wishes.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by peteruuu(m): 1:36pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
The two commenters above, how could the both of you be so heartless and cruel ??

When someone is asking for help, if you have nothing sensible to say, just shut up !
You can say that again hey!
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Olarewaju89: 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2018
grin grin grin
Realberg:
Position your hands 10m away from his cheek, Spread your fingers and move it faster than the 'speed of light' to his cheek!
*blackout*
Stretch up to kiss your red-cheeked son. He'll be grateful to you forever.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by HomeOfMe(f): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
Oh my God. First of all since your child is still very young,spending most of his/her time with friends or playmates who are very outspoken could help your child adjust his speech. Stuttering/stammering is an accident that happens mostly during childbirth;natural birth especially. When the baby is being delivered,an object either through forceps or when the mother has pushed for too long and has put so much pressure on the baby's head. There's a device,can't remember what it's called which looks like an earpiece which is put in the child's ears. Whenever he talks,it echos back to him and sends a signal to his brain cautions him to talk more audibly and slowly. It was used for my husband's nephew who is based in the US. I don't know the name of the device.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by SunriseW(f): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2018
deathmen12:
let him use snail shell as his water cup for 3months, i mean to be drinking water with it, wash it very well, i mean those big snail. or you can also let him be, he will stop as time goes on. mine was worst, but it was the snail shell method i use.

Jesu!!
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Ghostmode2two(m): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2018
OP be gentle with your kid and let the kid understand that she could talk normal. With time she will outgrow the stammering since no one in your family have or had speech problem. you can check Google too
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
I wouldn’t suggest you use the slap reset remedy recommend by a few people here, you will just be abusing the child for no fault of theirs.

However i think you should employ the services of a speach therapist, he/she would teach the child how to pronouce words with one breath, also they will teach the child how to relax the vocal chords when speaking so as to reduce the effect of stammering.

You can google online how to get a good speach therapist in your location for your child.

dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Tellemall: 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

There are speech therapists in Lagos.

But is your child stammering really as big a problem as you make it out to be?

Some people grow out of it.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Geonigga(m): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
I was once a stammer but now I am a full time advocate of the law. From my expirience, what I did to stop stammering are as follow: 1. Try to build the child's confidence by putting him in a position that will make him bold by removing all sort of fear from him. 2. Always advice him to be taking deep breath before talking, he should not be rushing while talking, if possible he should talk slowly whenever he wants to. 3. Get an old gong for him so that he will use it and be drinking water revert time he wants to drink water. 4. Ground a ginger mix it with honey let him be licking it. It works for me, just try it. 5. In all put him in prayers always.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by westkid001(m): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
Use slap,am still saying it use slap
..same thing was used to cure my neighbour son and i swear it works...another way again is to use slap...i say slap,use slap again and again i say use slap..tbh this the only quick remedy
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2018
There is a speech therapist here in Ilupeju.
Pls do anything possible to stop his stuttering cos i stutter really badly esp when i am netvous, flustered and angry.
Give me little time to find out their addtess for you.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by phanshark(m): 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

always try to make him happy(but not against good morals

try to force him to settle down before talking, because most of them always rush to talk but don't have the ability to control it.

try to make him read loudly to you,it will gradually improve his speech

he will be subject to bully and mockery, try ur best to defend and build his confidence

and most importantly, put him in prayer's

thank me later

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by jesutakewe(f): 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2018
I've seen Pastor Ibiyeomie heal several people, I mean people that I used to know as chronic stutterers. There's nothing God cannot do. I know this will offend some people but there's a page in the Bible that refers to such people as fools.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by nino17(f): 1:42pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
You have to be patient with him / her .
You are the only that can help your child build his/her confidence .
Teach him/her to speak more slowly, it might help...

Teach him to say one word at a time very slowly. It works
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by victorian(f): 1:44pm On Oct 05, 2018
Gerrard59:

Not true.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stammering/

But your solutions are on point.

Mine was caused by fear and mockery, in my early years.

It stopped and went away when I wanted to defend my course during my finals and when I was about convincing my mum about a business proposal, I needed her financial investment on.

I prayed fervently, then had to start reading newspaper articles, pretending I'm a newscaster in my room talking to a hall full of people.
Then condition my mind not be scared of anybody, no matter who the person is, everyone is equal in my mind and it worked.
Also meditation works.

For me it's fear, which I conquered.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by obataokenwa(m): 1:46pm On Oct 05, 2018
I was a stammerer from small...during my child hood days, it was very serious and I was not comfortable till I grew up and I noticed that my language Igbo, Hausa and English are my three major problems.

Atimes speaking Igbo language will flow so well and one may not even know I stammer...speaking English or Hausa at some point, may not flow well so I began to adjust and know the ones to speak and when to keep quiet.

I remember one day I blamed my mum for not helping to adjust and stop stammering not knowing it was all all abt who I interact with.

Whenever he wants to stammer, change language for him and or make him calm down and talk one by one with the best language that will flow.

The most ways people stammer is when u harshly demand explanation and before their brain could select the language or the right words to use, it has already affected their speech and he way just say anything even if not accurate just to ease himself of the pressure.

One thing my Dad did for me was he shows me greater love whenever I talk and cos I was so stubborn, he will rather solve any problem I caused rather than putting me under pressure to explain cos he knew I did somethings out of anger cos I couldn't express myself.

Dont u ever joke with anyone that will mimmick your son when he stammers cos it causes depression and low self-esteem.

Just avoid pressure on him and encourage him. Now people hardly know I stammer cos I know when to keep calm even at every pressure.

Thanks
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by elganzar(m): 1:47pm On Oct 05, 2018
Some often out grow it...teach him to be as calm as possible when he speaks
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by ACollinsE: 1:48pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let him/her breath in before talking also help bring up his./her confidence
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Databee(m): 1:50pm On Oct 05, 2018
That Green Water Inside Snail,turn It Inside Snail Shell Only One Week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Brown And Crusty Toe Nails / Expect 100% Hike In Drug Prices, PSN Tells Nigerians / My 3-Year-Old Son Doesn't Fart, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.