Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,018 members, 7,803,419 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? (21002 Views)

Stammering: Steps On How To Reduce It And Speech Therapy / Thread On How To Stop Stammering / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Baron7(m): 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2018
Train your kid to think about every sentence before saying any words. That will make him/her patient.
The confidence is important too. When you are scared of someone there are times you can't pronounce words, so be your child's best friend at this moment.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by DrMuzungu(m): 2:38pm On Oct 05, 2018
[quote author=OneCorner post=71805575][/quote]

You should be jailed for life for giving st00pid advices.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by ksbusari(m): 2:38pm On Oct 05, 2018
blingxx:

shut up their jhor....stupid African mentality, this is why oyinbo better pass us, how is beating a child always a solution to all his problems.. I was a stammerer too when I was kid my mum normally shout at me, this made me quiet and introverted, I don't speak in public, but my class teacher help me out.. (1)take a deep breath before you talk (2) try to speak as quietly as possible... and it work grin
av we met before ni?
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by dona2us(m): 2:40pm On Oct 05, 2018
But like seriouly the only cure for now is slap that is what i use to help my 3year old son and i tell you the truth when ever he want to stammer and i raise my hand you hear him talk normal. God help us
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by 19naia(m): 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2018
Stop beating or slapping the child everytime the child says something disapproved of.
It makes them unsure of speaking and then fear causes distraction to their flow of speech as their head is filled with images of being slapped or beaten for what they have spoken.

Perhaps kind and gentle sessions of giving the child proper things to say and making the child recite them.
Perhaps have the child memorize a paragraph of useful and good things to say, and have the child positively encouraged to recite the paragraphs for you daily. Not read them. But recite them off head.
Teach the child some happy things to recite and do it in ways that do not scare the child nor involve beating or slapping.
If the child can read, then let the child read a paragraph or sentence silently and memorize it. Then to recite it to you everyday under the conditions of not being pressured with fear of being slapped, beaten or verbally acosted.
Even if one word at a time and then move to two at a time and then three and more.
Also look for key words around which the stammering is more present. Sometimes it is even a key letter, such as stammering only with words that contain a certain letter or certains letters. Then use those key words as primary focus in speech practice.

At 5 years of age; now is the time to do speech lessons and even add more subjects to the lessons to make an above-average intelligence child.

Even if the stammering is not caused by fear, using fear to break the stammering is not going to make it easier. Some cases of stammering are caused by fear that derails areas of focus neeeded for fluid speech. It could be complicating to have beatings, slaps and verbal accosting attempted to stop the stammering. Not good if beatings, slaps and verbal accostings were the causse of the stammering from day one.

Rasing children can be hard for those who are too busy making a living and keeping the house in order.
If you can find time for gentle speech practice, it can work wonders. Maybe just 30 minutes a day.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by gesi: 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2018
I was a terrible stammerer as a kid. But when a corper told me that I should learn to sing songs and to talk slowly, it helped and the stammering STOPPED. Now I even preach,give business presentation flawlessly. Let.your.sing a lot, speak slowly, read books it will help. Queen Elizabeth's last son stammers a bit so he speaks slowly.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by peteruuu(m): 2:46pm On Oct 05, 2018
onatisi:

same as me , when i was young it was very bad , but when i was young and i want to say about 500 words in 30seconds and i start stammering , my mom will just tell me to shut up , and then tell me to start speaking the words one at a time , it may take time and practice but eventually the stammering reduced , although i still stammer when i am angry and i want to pour all my mind out in seconds. grin
kwam1 was and is still a stammerer but he too has learnt to pick his words , as we grow older we tend to have control over our temperament and eventually control the stammering , that is why it is important not to let the poor boy have any negative thought or trauma about it as this may affect him psychologically as he will tend to see himself inferior to others

Lol. Funny thing is that...I'm still a mild stammerer and I love it wink
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by iamlahmee(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2018
i also stammer but that's when i'm angry or in a haste to say something and some times when i lack confidence believe me most stammerers had already completed what they wanted to say in their mind but to say it out is the prob..tell him to talk slowly and impact some confidence in him moreover u can let him drink from clean snail shell or clean bell.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by mokaflex(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Please, what can I do to help my 5 year old to stop stammering?

I live in Lagos and I seem unable to find a speech therapist around.

I am getting so frustrated.

Thanks so much.
If you are interested get to me. I used to stammer but no more. Thanks to my late grand mom who gave me the keys free of charge. Freely would I give to you.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Switruth: 3:00pm On Oct 05, 2018
It will go away with time if you heed to all the relaxed advices given here. For those that administered reset slap I pray you all to have a child who stammers chronically so would know if slaps and scolding works. It shall surely come your way now or later in life.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by MagicPie: 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

The only way i believe this can work out fine is when you allow him to talk slowly. As in one word at a time. Do not allow him to give a fast reply. Do not scare him, always be calm with him. Its works.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by ceedon007(m): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2018
STAMMERING IS CAUSED WHEN WANT TO SPEAK TOO MUCH WORDS WITHIN A VERY SHORT TIME LIKE WITHIN 1 SECOND.

TO HELP UR CHILD, ENGAGE HIM ALWAYS IN A CONVERSATION WITH U VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING WHEN HE WAKES UP AND LATE AT NIGHT BEFORE HE SLEEPS, AND ANYTIME HE TRIES TO STAMMER DURING A SPEECH......... TELL HIM TO TAKE A DEEP BREATHE (BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT X 5 TIMES) THEN HE CONTINUES WITH HIS STATEMENT.

HAD THAT EXPERIENCE WHEN GROWING UP..... BUT WAS ABLE TO OVER COME IT WITH THE HELP OF MY FATHER. THAT WAS THE METHOD HE USED ON ME.

WHEN YOUR CHILD GETS USED TO THIS METHOD.... HE WILL AUTOMATICALLY CORRECTS HIMSELF ANYTIME HE TRIES TO STAMMER DURING A SPEECH BY TAKING A DEEP BREATHE.

USE THIS METHOD AND THANK ME LATER (08068750528)
PARENTS ARE THE BEST SPEECH THERAPIST.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Sejeje: 3:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
Just be patient.He will be okay with time.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by lielbree: 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
Go online and order a hearing aid for people who stutter. It works 100% immediately.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by akdjr(m): 3:24pm On Oct 05, 2018
Add original honey inside lukewarm water and give him before bed for 2weeks u will be amaze.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Maxcollins042(m): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

Hi dear, there is a huge chance that you can still correct your child's speech defect. But first you have to find out the root cause of this problem. Does any body in your family's genealogy stutter? Does your child associate with stutterers at school?

Solution

Provide an incentive: Children are likelier to make greater improvement in accomplishing a task when a carrot is dangling at the other end. Establish a reward mechanism where you will reward him as he stutters less with each utterance.

Breath regulation: teach him how to control his breath with each speech he makes. He should take it slowly with voicing out the words.

Do not scold him: no matter how bad his stuttering his do not scold or beat him. You will only be hurting him on two fronts if you do this; break his self-esteem and exacerbate the stuttering. Just be patient with him as he speak.

Disassociate him from his stuttering friends: children are highly impressionable and as such, a friend's habit can easily rub off on them. If they have a friend that stammers, try as much as possible to minimize if not break contact.

Give him time: most stuttering children outgrows this condition as they age. I once stuttered so badly as a child that I barely utter a word in the midst of my peers. Today I have outgrown it and can speak fluently (though not 100%).

Just be patient and encourage him as he undergoes any of the recovery processes above. If any of them doesn't work you should look for a speech therapist. Godspeed.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by officialfestus(m): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2018
don't scold him always,else you want to impart fear in him I was once a chronic stammerer
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by bikefab(m): 3:29pm On Oct 05, 2018
Overcoming stammering has to do with advancement in age and mastering your breath when you are about to speak. It might shock you but the mastering of breath technique has proved very efficacious. Let ur speech come out the same time u are about to breathe out...it is barely audible but you will be audible when you repeat it and without stammering too. You need to hear me speak between the ages of 3-15, i was a very bad stammerer but this simple technique introduced to me by a senior student cured me.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Holysuck(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
Zoharariel:
You will go to Mr. Biggs today, Tantalizers tomorrow & Domino's Pizza next tomorrow - how will you not born a stammerer & slowpoke when the food you're eating & feeding your system are ridden with GMOs?

I meant no offense.

In Ijebu, there are no stammerers & imbeciles because na paki we dey chop morning, afernoon & night. grin

If you see any stammerer or slowpoke in Ijebu, na foreigner them be. grin

Well, according to Mark 7:32 - "A deaf man with a speech impediment was brought to him, and the people begged Jesus to lay his hands on the man to heal him".

Unfortunately, since all of us reading this thread know with utmost conviction that in this age, what was written in the scripture above can only take place in the "United States of Utopia". grin cheesy grin

I can only say I'm sorry, I do not have a solution to your query. grin

just sharap!! Hediot, u got ntin to add. U are stupidly foolish
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2018
tabithababy:
Hmmmmm
*Slaps*
Speak Up!
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 05, 2018
Get him an Eminem Album.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by BillgatesMaigad(m): 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2018
henwealth:
Try and get a snail shell �, clean one. early in the morning let the child use it to drink water even,before talkin to anyone. Do it for 3weeks and u see the changes
well I think this might be true, I heard about it some years ago. A friend of mine was a staunch stammering machine. He usually does stand ups and often times his audience get really cracked up listening to him.

OP.......Try the snail shell first
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by tsmith(f): 4:11pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.

My son was a stammerer too. We used the lidcombe language therapy. Of course we had a therapist guiding and teaching us, but the everyday exercises, encouragement etc was down to me and my son. You can research and see if you can do this by yourself. Happy to chip in and help out.

Ps. He was about 4/5 too and i can he was stammer free in about 6months. He is now 10years old but i can still remember the process etc

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by bamdupsy28(f): 4:20pm On Oct 05, 2018
Let him listen to MUSIC
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by MahatmaGhandi: 4:22pm On Oct 05, 2018
I stuttered as a child. But as time progressed I learnt to speak slowly and calmly. Before long I was talking like every other person. Be patient with him
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by ashadesamson: 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2018
am a stammerer from childhood a very chronic one before I could say a word is problem hitting my leg on the floor and beating my self with my hand before I could say a word, but now am talking perfectly without stammerer the logic i apply is just simple, don't get angry, talk slowly that's it all, but as for him he's not adult yet it will take him time but u will be the one as a mother to guide him to do that till he grows up to apply the conditions by him self. I wish him quick recovery by God grace.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by sykeng(m): 4:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
dundunni01:
Hello parents,

Thanks so much.
wow, what a child, do not slap the child as proffered by the first two commenters, show him/her support, correct the child by telling him to repeat the words he stuttered on, as he grow older he will conquer it. I was a chronic stammering, attimes I even hit my head on the wall when I was 8, if I see someone intimidating a stammerer infact I don buy d case ooo, just take it easy on the child please.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by channel3310(m): 4:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
Are you very sure? Hmmm... let the poor kid no go dey chop unwarranted slap
coolcatty:

They are very correct...my niece used to be a chronic stammerer..those ones that used to stamp their feet before speaking...but she stopped when her grandmother used slap to reset her brain...most of these myopic remedies work.....
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by sykeng(m): 4:35pm On Oct 05, 2018
ashadesamson:
am a stammerer from childhood a very chronic one before I could say a word is problem hitting my leg on the floor and beating my self with my hand before I could say a word, but now am talking perfectly without stammerer the logic i apply is just simple, don't get angry, talk slowly that's it all, but as for him he's not adult yet it will take him time but u will be the one as a mother to guide him to do that till he grows up to apply the conditions by him self. I wish him quick recovery by God grace.
we passed through a lot bro, I just remembered the ordeals, I'm seeing my tears now.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by hushyp(m): 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
Tell him to calm down when talking and he should always speak slowly. I use to be a stammerer. Instead of stammering, i pause, organize my sentences and speak slowly and gently. It helped.
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by onyekabe(m): 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2018
Teach your child to breath in when talking
Re: How Can I Help My 5 Year-Old Son To Stop Stammering? by Oju4190: 4:46pm On Oct 05, 2018
The best way is to boil hot water at 100 degree centigrade.Give him/her to drink. I belt you if he/ she stammers again then change my name. My younger broda used to stammered and we used the same remedy, today he is a lecturer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

298 New COVID-19 Cases, 207 Discharged And 1 Death On August 16 - (2,036 Tested) / How To Get Rid Of Brown And Crusty Toe Nails / Lagos Discharges 10 Coronavirus Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.