Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,743 members, 7,806,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

All about being a Physicist In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All about being a Physicist In Nigeria (1180 Views)

Educator And Scientist, Scholarship Needed,a Physicist Of Our Times,2022 / Please Can Any Physicist Help Me Solve This Question / Assassination Targets: Why Are The World Nuclear Physicist Endangered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 1:31am On Oct 03, 2018
[color=#000000][/color]Please I beg of anyone with experience in this field.
I've been offered admission to study physics in the federal university of technology akure although I applied for mining engineering but I was given physics. I have searched the whole net trying to understand what it means to be a physicist, I found out its a great course but not here in Nigeria. There is like no labour market for it, you only get to be a high school teacher. I may be wrong but right now I'm thinking of rejecting the offer and take jamb again. I really need your help on this one's. Please gurus in the house shed more light on this.

Is it really worth studying in Nigeria?
If I finish with my first degree is there any possibility of getting a good job?
Do you advice that I just opt in for change of course in my 200l ?
Please helpe out. I don't even know how to explain toy parents what I'm about studying. Thanks everyone.
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 03, 2018
am in the same dilemma as you, I don't know the prospects of studying physics in Nigeria......how financially stable it is

1 Like

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 12:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
I don't know if this could make fp.
Please someone should comment and change someone life.. The comment you say here will go a long way In my life
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by lastmessenger: 1:04pm On Oct 03, 2018
Physics is a very good course to study but you must make up your mind to find yourself outside the country if you don't want to end up as a high school teacher.
Again you can read very hard graduate with a very good grade and join your mates that are working in the banks.
You can also graduate with a good grade, go for your masters and PhD and end up lecturing physics and researching on physics in the university
Infact you can be anything you want to be if only you work very hard and commit your ways in the hands of the almighty
I wish I studied physics

2 Likes

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 4:42pm On Oct 03, 2018
Thanks. More opinions are welcome
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 03, 2018
lastmessenger:
Physics is a very good course to study but you must make up your mind to find yourself outside the country if you don't want to end up as a high school teacher.
Again you can read very hard graduate with a very good grade and join your mates that are working in the banks.
You can also graduate with a good grade, go for your masters and PhD and end up lecturing physics and researching on physics in the university
Infact you can be anything you want to be if only you work very hard and commit your ways in the hands of the almighty
I wish I studied physics

Wat did you study sir?
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 03, 2018

1 Like

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by lastmessenger: 9:25pm On Oct 03, 2018
gigabyte01:

Wat did you study sir?
mechanical Engineering. Go for physics. It is a great course. Make up your mind to be the best physicist and work hard towards it and you will see that the sky will be your limit.

1 Like

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2018
Nawa oo.. It's like there are many people in Nigeria that are not fully aware of this course. How many views and yet few answers
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 10:00pm On Oct 03, 2018
I've decided to just do it in my 100l .in 200l I'll do a transfer to another course. Maybe mining engineering
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 03, 2018
lastmessenger:
mechanical Engineering. Go for physics. It is a great course. Make up your mind to be the best physicist and work hard towards it and you will see that the sky will be your limit.

Sir so if you really had the chance to re pick a course, would you pick physics?
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by lastmessenger: 10:35pm On Oct 03, 2018
gigabyte01:

Sir so if you really had the chance to re pick a course, would you pick physics?
I swear I will go for physics. the engineering that I studied is just the application of physics principles.
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 03, 2018
lastmessenger:
I swear I will go for physics. the engineering that I studied is just the application of physics principles.

Thank you for your advice sir.. But I heard dat in many job vacancies, they consider engineers before physicists...and please where can a physicist get a job apart from teaching because am not ready to start teaching

1 Like

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2018
gigabyte01:

Thank you for your advice sir.. But I heard dat in many job vacancies, they consider engineers before physicists...and please where can a physicist get a job apart from teaching because am not ready to start teaching
You just said my mind. Thanks to everyone that's commenting
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by lastmessenger: 6:53am On Oct 04, 2018
gigabyte01:

There are many places that you can work as a physics graduate. I have mentioned banks and tertiary institutions. You can also decide to go into IT and that will give you broader opportunities in different companies.
But if I studied physics, i will gather money and go abroad for my masters and PhD. Believe me physics is a great course in the developed countries. There you can go into full time research and make a name for yourself. Its possible that you can become the next Stephen hawking or Albert einsteen.

2 Likes

Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 04, 2018
lastmessenger:
There are many places that you can work as a physics graduate. I have mentioned banks and tertiary institutions. You can also decide to go into IT and that will give you broader opportunities in different companies.
But if I studied physics, i will gather money and go abroad for my masters and PhD. Believe me physics is a great course in the developed countries. There you can go into full time research and make a name for yourself. Its possible that you can become the next Stephen hawking or Albert einsteen.

Or maybe I will do physics then venture into electrical engineering for masters...... How do you see it embarassed
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Mariomadiba(m): 10:08am On Oct 04, 2018
Please can I do physics in university and then go for applied geophysics in my Msc
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Debangis20(m): 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2022
Mariomadiba:
Please can I do physics in university and then go for applied geophysics in my Msc
Yes
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Debangis20(m): 6:23am On Oct 30, 2022
lastmessenger:

Oh-uh! Me that was trying to change to ME from PHY...?
Re: All about being a Physicist In Nigeria by Najdorf: 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2022
This country offers terrible employment opportunities no matter what you study. Physics is a great course that allows you go into different fields. Do your BSc here, graduate with a good a GPA and apply to institutions abroad that will value your knowledge.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2018/2019 TIMEON KAIROS POLYTECHNIC Admission Thread / Kaduna State University Pulls Out Of ASUU Strike / 5 Tips To Discover The Fine Essay Writing Services That You Did Not Read Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.