Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,911 members, 7,806,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU (27271 Views)

Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers / 578-day Strikes: Angry Lecturers Dumping Varsities, ASUU Laments / ASUU Strike: Claims Of N350,000, N500,000 Tuition Fees Untrue— Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 03, 2018
lexy2014:
Ur reasoning is highly flawed &contradictory cos u are suggesting that its only those who can pay high fees should have access to education. Whether an individual is qualified to have access to education is first&foremost determined by his/her ability to scale d entrance exams. If d process is faulty at d entrance level, its not high school fees u use in correcting it cos many empty skulls will b able to pay. Then u will b back to square1

You've only stated the first step which isn't even what the topic is about. It's about school fees but you're talking about entrace exam. Does the Nigerian Uni entrance exam need an overhaul? Abso-fucking-lutely. But that's not what the top is about.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 03, 2018
I hope they also increase minimum wage to 1million naira angry bunch of insensitive bastards
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Franklyspeakin: 8:42am On Oct 03, 2018
Young man it wasn't just punch newspaper that carried this news it's on both vanguard and Thisday newspaper. B4 u begin defending your government get your facts right. I sincerely wish APC well. But they are the once doing themselves. Imagine this news towards an election year. Can't they just get their acts right??
danjumakolo:
Obviously a blatant lie judging from the outrageous amount.This most be politically linked.
Punch company should be sanctioned for this by Fed gvt.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2018
bot101:

The current generation is very complicit in every facet of Nigeria's current delimma. Until you can rationally explain why a secondary school student or university undergraduate will be looking towards cybercrime as his future ambition, or why the majority of this nation's youth see absolutely nothing wrong in that while cheering these teeming criminals on then we can start looking towards exonerating them. Now, that's just one of many issues that still leaves me totally baffled at our general psyche. Now don't say it's poverty because I do not come from a well to do family, and am still struggling to establish myself, a thousand other youths are doing same too, legally. As I said earlier, there are a thousand other issues wrong with the Nigerian youth that they had the choice to accept or refuse.

Alot the points you've made have nothing to do with what I asked.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 8:45am On Oct 03, 2018
RevenGeMission:
It's a plan, not confirmed,

Use your brain

UPDATE : My comment above was based information available to me and the present state of the economy , I learnt that what Universities generate (some sort of IGR) is barely enough to sustain the institutions themselves , Government has to literally pay for everything , from Lab materials to car maintenance , Facilities and everything , this figure is being discussed , and obviously it would not work , even if Min wage is increased , If the government can find a solution to Unis being unable to generate monies from their institutions, it will end incessant ASU / ASUP strike actions , at least reduce it to the barest minimum

But as usual, i got 11 mentions as at 8:04 AM and they were all insults from people whose reactions are always emotional , By the time i start insulting people back, others who wouldn't know why i started will start calling me all sorts of na
first, I don't subscribe to anyone being called names but telling someone "use ur brain" isn't a compliment either. Second, its good u put this info up but it would have saved u d trouble if u had done much earlier. Still better late than never.
Back 2d matter. D problem with govts, preceding & present is their rush to always apply "school fees increase" as d only solution to d problems in tertiary education. I believe that Nigerian govts apart from d regional govts of d 60s have no plan whatsoever 4 education. Unfortunately, d folks making these policies are those who benefitted from free qualitative education. Many tertiary institutions might not have enough money 2do d right things but they have enough 2 steal. Saving tertiary education is much more than just increasing school fees.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by UncleJudax(m): 8:47am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:
Not bad actually. People will now attend school and learn and not fvck around because they know how much they spend on school fees alone, why the rest learn a trade.

Not that you set school fees at 50k and everyone attends, and after graduating 100k students at once, more than half can't even a construct simple sentences but then they want an office job.

Sometimes when I talk to graduates in Nigeria, I'm shocked they were able to get admitted into a university in the first place.

Everyone thinks they can't make it without going to school even though they know atleast 10 graduates that went to school and never made it.

Everyone now has a degree certificate in Nigeria andd now Bsc has been watered down so much that you need an Msc to even work in Mr.biggs. fvck!!!
Contrary to what you and many Nigerians believe, Going to school is not about "making it", formal education builds healthy and well-informed society.

Nigerians should stop equating good life to "making it"

The richest people in this world are not from the Scandinavia, Germany etc, yet these countries are the model for every nation because of the quality education available.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by IBBG(m): 8:48am On Oct 03, 2018
LilSmith55:
What have the govt put in place before planning to increase the tuition fee, what facilities are on ground before yeye increment

Imagine in a university, where a computer program is been written on a white board and dey start telling u if u press enter it will run,

Why not press d enter and d board and run it

Imagine a chemistry class, where u were told only on white board dat if u miss chemical A and B togeda it will give u AB and it will evaporate.

Imagine in a Computer Engineering class where a motherboard is been drawn and label on a white board and start telling u this is function A and this is function B

And So On

What have they put in place in those University before planning to increase the tuition fee
baba God bless u for this comment. To think that some fools are supporting this wickedness, it tells you that there are many people who are sadomasochist. Infact to add to what you've said, the govt will have to increase minimum wage to 100k before even thinking of making tertiary fees 350k. We are just too docile in this country. In other countries, howls of protests will have already begun just based on this rumour alone.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 8:53am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

You've only stated the first step which isn't even what the topic is about. It's about school fees but you're talking about entrace exam. Does the Nigerian Uni entrance exam need an overhaul? Abso-fucking-lutely. But that's not what the top is about.
if d topic wasn't about entrance then how do u explain these statements u made&did u make them:

"Not that you set school fees at 50k and everyone attends, and after graduating 100k students at once, more than half can't even a construct simple sentences but then they want an office job.

Sometimes when I talk to graduates in Nigeria, I'm shocked they were able to get admitted into a university in the first place. "

Is it high school fees that will remedy d situation?

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by bimtee2001(f): 9:07am On Oct 03, 2018
I have only one question for those planning this increment. "How much was your tution when you were eating and living fine when you were in the university?"
For the youth who supports the present leaders, I want you to know that most of this people enjoyed free education to become who they are today.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by ofuonyebi: 9:14am On Oct 03, 2018
That's why we have Adamu Maduru in charge of Education now!

He is working according to the tenets of his name....Madaru!
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by yaki84: 9:15am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:
Not bad actually. People will now attend school and learn and not fvck around because they know how much they spend on school fees alone, why the rest learn a trade.

Not that you set school fees at 50k and everyone attends, and after graduating 100k students at once, more than half can't even a construct simple sentences but then they want an office job.

Sometimes when I talk to graduates in Nigeria, I'm shocked they were able to get admitted into a university in the first place.

Everyone thinks they can't make it without going to school even though they know atleast 10 graduates that went to school and never made it.

Everyone now has a degree certificate in Nigeria andd now Bsc has been watered down so much that you need an Msc to even work in Mr.biggs. fvck!!!
so students in covenant, igbinedion, abuad, abti n other private unis across naija no dey fvck abi?

ur sense don spoil. it needs quick fix
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by tosinet(m): 9:19am On Oct 03, 2018
I taught it is minimum wage...

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by connectboi(m): 9:20am On Oct 03, 2018
Instead of then to make minimum wage 350k And make education 18k Won Ba iranu kakiri(them they do rubbish up and down) Foolish Government Foolish adamu adamu Foolish Apc Foolish anybody way day plan this work Foolish people entirely
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 03, 2018
lexy2014:
if d topic wasn't about entrance then how do u explain these statements u made&did u make them:

"Not that you set school fees at 50k and everyone attends, and after graduating 100k students at once, more than half can't even a construct simple sentences but then they want an office job.

Sometimes when I talk to graduates in Nigeria, I'm shocked they were able to get admitted into a university in the first place. "

Is it high school fees that will remedy d situation?

Yes. It will discourage those kinds of people from going to Uni. And even if they insisted on going, alot of them will drop out or completely sit up, as did alot of my coursemates.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 03, 2018
Danhumprey:
Tuition loan? Similar to the college loan in the US?

The did mention introducing an education bank to give out such loans to students.

But the issue is paying back the loans after graduation, when there's little or no jobs available.

I'm sure the loan won't start counting till one gets a job. But since we don't have a functional database, I don't see it working
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 03, 2018
2019elections:

Who will pay the loans? Parents or students? Which work will make u afford such?

Students. My fear is, the school fees hike won't improve the education standard.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 03, 2018
UncleJudax:

Contrary to what you and many Nigerians believe, Going to school is not about "making it", formal education builds healthy and well-informed society.

Nigerians should stop equating good life to "making it"

The richest people in this world are not from the Scandinavia, Germany etc, yet these countries are the model for every nation because of the quality education available.

And you can only get this "formal education" in the university?

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Iamdmentor1(m): 9:35am On Oct 03, 2018
RevenGeMission:

Use your brain

UPDATE : My comment above was based information available to me and the present state of the economy , I learnt that what Universities generate (some sort of IGR) is barely enough to sustain the institutions themselves , Government has to literally pay for everything , from Lab materials to car maintenance , Facilities and everything , this figure is being discussed , and obviously it would not work , even if Min wage is increased , If the government can find a solution to Unis being unable to generate monies from their institutions, it will end incessant ASU / ASUP strike actions , at least reduce it to the barest minimum

But as usual, i got 11 mentions as at 8:04 AM and they were all insults from people whose reactions are always emotional , By the time i start insulting people back, others who wouldn't know why i started will start calling me all sorts of na

The government is supposed to be the sole sponsor of federal universities. Sometimes I wonder where the tax paid go to
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 03, 2018
yaki84:

so students in covenant, igbinedion, abuad, abti n other private unis across naija no dey fvck abi?

ur sense don spoil. it needs quick fix

Are you a graduate?
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by yaki84: 9:38am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

Are you a graduate?
is ur president a graduate?
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2018
yaki84:

is ur president a graduate?

Yes
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Timekeeper: 10:01am On Oct 03, 2018
Kemisolabadmus:
Your p
Your psy
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by CodeTemplar: 10:06am On Oct 03, 2018
seguntijan:
Education is expensive , Tertiary education should not be free, this will check the over population of our classes, hostels and laboratory. Our country is like this because of the amount we invest in the education. All stakeholders must invest. People get loan in the developed world to continue tertiary education.

But before that is done the FG has to ensure that there's option for loan (for the brilliant less privilege people), the economy is strengthen(for Work-study option) and the minimum wage is increased (for the parents that choose to invest in their children tertiary education).

in summary we need more funding in our institutions if we want turn around in our country
Good.
People have no idea of the current funding arrangement of the universities. They just know they want education and they want it cheap.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by UncleJudax(m): 10:08am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

And you can only get this "formal education" in the university?
No. But it depends on your definition of formal education.

I am particularly disturbed by your assertion that paying tuition would make people to study harder. That's hogwash.

Here in Germany, there is no tuition, and the students are eager to learn. Even if you want to raise the fees, why not first raise the structure? Let universities, colleges of education and polytechnics do what they are meant to do.

You can always point to people who have made so much money and name without a university education, but you have to also know that these people are nationals of countries that have already attained where they are because of their education structure.

Nigeria doesn't have such a structure
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 03, 2018
Darkseid:
Half baked even good. I seriously don't think I learnt anything useful in my five years in school, the only thing we did was to cram materials and pour on the exam day. All the skills I have; I learnt myself, including the ones I paid to learn.
I dey tell you. 5 years of my tertiary education and I won't say there's one special thing I learnt from school. I only met people and obtained a certificate. Shikena
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 03, 2018
UncleJudax:

No. But it depends on your definition of formal education.

I am particularly disturbed by your assertion that paying tuition would make people to study harder. That's hogwash.

Here in Germany, there is no tuition, and the students are eager to learn. Even if you want to raise the fees, why not first raise the structure? Let universities, colleges of education and polytechnics do what they are meant to do.

You can always point to people who have made so much money and name without a university education, but you have to also know that these people are nationals of countries that have already attained where they are because of their education structure.

Throughout my argument on this topic, I deliberately refrained from comparing Nigerians students with first world country because its an unfair comparison, and because of that, I stopped reading your post when you mention "here in Germany"
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by CodeTemplar: 10:27am On Oct 03, 2018
maybachmusic:

so education should now be only for the rich

smh
No, it will be for those who plan to use their skills to earn after graduation. The current system is breeding cultists and prostitutes all over. A graduate who enjoyed 4 years of heavily subsidized education by govt will get his skill and certificate then decide he wants to be a g-boy or high class prostitute. some even get govt job of 100k/month and frustrate the civil service by demanding BT be for mundane tasks.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 03, 2018
UncleJudax:

Then why are people killing themselves on this thread? That would mean going to school is just to fulfil all righteousness.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by TruthinAction: 10:28am On Oct 03, 2018
RevenGeMission:

Use your brain

The issue is not insufficient fund to run the school but that of mismanagement and misappropriation.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by bot101(m): 10:39am On Oct 03, 2018
Dudeweedlmao:

Alot the points you've made have nothing to do with what I asked.

Well, if you can't make simple deductions from what I posted, I have nothing more to say to you.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by yaki84: 10:41am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:
Yes
isoryt
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 03, 2018
bot101:

Well, if you can't make simple deductions from what I posted, I have nothing more to say to you.
There's nothing to deduce if you're not addressing the boomer situation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emelife Stella Chinelo Receives Medals And Cash Prizes From University Of Mysore / We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG / JAMB Speaks On Rescheduling 2019 UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.