Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches (4492 Views)

Today Fa Cup Matches Fixed? / Predict The Caf 2012 Nations Cup Matches. / History Repeating Itself At Fifa World-cup Matches. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by AjanleKoko: 8:35am On Jul 10, 2010
[size=14pt]Fifa was warned of Nigeria World Cup match-fixing fears[/size]

Nigeria went out of the World Cup in the first round, losing twice
Fifa was warned before this year's World Cup of fears that Nigeria's team could be vulnerable to match-fixing, the BBC has learned.
An investigator for Uefa raised concerns, including suspicions over betting patterns.
Nigeria went out of the tournament in the first round, losing to Greece.
World governing body Fifa does not deny receiving a warning but say it has "no indication" of match-fixing in any World Cup matches.

Anger
BBC Newsnight understands an investigator working with Uefa first became suspicious during qualifying rounds of the World Cup.
It is alleged that certain Nigerian players came forward and said their team was vulnerable to manipulation.
On the morning of Nigeria's first match, he alerted Fifa's new Early Warning System, set up to look for signs of match-rigging, of his concerns.

Hundreds of matches across Europe - from Champions League qualifiers to cup and league games - are currently being scrutinised.
German journalist Christian Bergmann also had a call just before the first Nigerian game of the tournament from a Uefa contact who said there were suggestions that "some players from the Nigerian team are actually involved in some form of manipulation".

In their second game of the tournament, Nigeria were strong favourites to beat Greece and took an early 1-0 lead.
But after just 33 minutes Nigeria had a man sent off and Greece subsequently scored their first ever World Cup goals to win 2-1.
After their elimination, Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan was so angry with the poor performances that he suspended the whole team from international competition. He later reversed that decision following a complaint from Fifa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8805137.stm
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by base10: 11:20am On Jul 10, 2010
i doubt this story, but there might be an element of truth about it
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 10, 2010
abeg make we hear word jare, no body bleeping fixed any match, super eagles are not good simple undecided
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by saintneo(m): 11:50am On Jul 10, 2010
saw this earlier on ESPN.

come to think of it, Kaita and Largerback might be the sell outs
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Menene(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2010
Story story, story! Once upon the time, time time!

Nothing like that. The players were not just competent. Moreover, they were other African teams with excellent form, why weren't they manipulated.

Lagerback, Kaita, It is well with both of You.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by paradigman(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
this one na wa o. e get as e be. na lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by leuelliot(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2010
well any thing is possible
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by slap1(m): 1:04pm On Jul 10, 2010
God forbidbut would this had come to the fore if we had lifted the trophy?
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by 5p1naz(m): 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2010
call an otu an otu, dont call it match fixing, or shud i say MATCH FIXING is The english interpretation for OTU
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Modongho: 1:35pm On Jul 10, 2010
kiss
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by baslone: 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2010
Nigeria is a country that can go ahead and do
anything, but personally for me- anything[b] BBC[/b]- I'm out!!
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by styles2009: 2:02pm On Jul 10, 2010
To all denying this story, you just dont know anything about football betting.

As a regular punter, i can tell you,if countries like Nigeria,England,Argentina losses,the kind of money people make from it

lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by rasputinn(m): 2:36pm On Jul 10, 2010
saintneo:

saw this earlier on ESPN.

come to think of it, Kaita and Largerback might be the sell outs

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Na wa ooooo
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by baslone: 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Anger

there were suggestions that "some players from the Nigerian team are actually involved in some form of manipulation".

Na Yakubu dey cause all this nonsense!!
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by usbcable(m): 3:01pm On Jul 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Nigeria went out of the World Cup in the first round, losing twice
Fifa was warned before this year's World Cup of fears that Nigeria's team could be vulnerable to match-fixing, the BBC has learned.
An investigator for Uefa raised concerns, including suspicions over betting patterns.
Nigeria went out of the tournament in the first round, losing to Greece.
World governing body Fifa does not deny receiving a warning but say it has "no indication" of match-fixing in any World Cup matches.

Anger
BBC Newsnight understands an investigator working with Uefa first became suspicious during qualifying rounds of the World Cup.
It is alleged that certain Nigerian players came forward and said their team was vulnerable to manipulation.
On the morning of Nigeria's first match, he alerted Fifa's new Early Warning System, set up to look for signs of match-rigging, of his concerns.

Hundreds of matches across Europe - from Champions League qualifiers to cup and league games - are currently being scrutinised.
German journalist Christian Bergmann also had a call just before the first Nigerian game of the tournament from a Uefa contact who said there were suggestions that "some players from the Nigerian team are actually involved in some form of manipulation".

In their second game of the tournament, Nigeria were strong favourites to beat Greece and took an early 1-0 lead.
But after just 33 minutes Nigeria had a man sent off and Greece subsequently scored their first ever World Cup goals to win 2-1.
After their elimination, Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan was so angry with the poor performances that he suspended the whole team from international competition. He later reversed that decision following a complaint from Fifa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8805137.stm

stupid news.
if anything was rigged or fixed then it was abetted by the referee of our match against greece.
wonder the motive behind this useless news sef.
our boys wer point blank not good enough especially ''oko oloyun world wide-YAKMUMU AIYEGBENI''
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
Naija, una no go fit kill me.the nation is so corrupt that we are suspected of going to act funny in anything, i mean anything from pastoring to teaching to politics and what have you.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by binaflexia: 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2010
Match fixing ki

Match despoiling ni!
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by olalkn(m): 3:50pm On Jul 10, 2010
match ko, Fix ni
Una no talk say una team no good,come dey point fingers
I beg make una go siddon.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Beaf: 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2010
I strongly suspect Nigeria fixed matches. How else can one explain the bizarre antics of Yakubu, Kaita, Lagerback and all players, except Enyeama?
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Princek12(m): 4:28pm On Jul 10, 2010
I believe this story is plausible. I mean, Yakubu "missed" a goal in front of a wide open net; Kaita gave himself a redcard; they played against Argentina like they were primary six kids; the list goes on and on.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by ahidjo: 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2010
This is where Nigeria should have taken action. This country should take this matter up with FIFA to sanction all those that are bent on destroying Nigeria at all cost. Nigeria should consider suing all those that were involved in this smear campaign. When I read the comments by Nigerians in various forums that have this idiotic News, I foundd no outrage: all I see or read are some moronic comments which is why such news can only be written about Nigeria because they know that both our leaders and the fans have no brains. Such news based on insinuations can not be published about United states or any other Soccer Super power. If we do nothing about this, someone will wake up someday and write about seeing Nigeria in a dream taking bribes and it will appear in news accross the world. Nigerians think
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by beespak7(m): 5:06pm On Jul 10, 2010
ahidjo:

This is where Nigeria should have taken action. This country should take this matter up with FIFA to sanction all those that are bent on destroying Nigeria at all cost. Nigeria should consider suing all those that were involved in this smear campaign. When I read the comments by Nigerians in various forums that have this idiotic News, I foundd no outrage: all I see or read are some moronic comments which is why such news can only be written about Nigeria because they know that both our leaders and the fans have no brains. Such news based on insinuations can not be published about United states or any other Soccer Super power. If we do nothing about this, someone will wake up someday and write about seeing Nigeria in a dream taking bribes and it will appear in news accross the world. Nigerians think
Mint!!
It seems that the BBC and other western media are just out to smear the name of nigeria. It looks like they get an or,gasm painting any thing nigerian bad and just cant seem to get enough of it. THE SUPER EAGLES WERE NOT JUST FIT, PLAYED TERRIBLY AND LOST SIMPLY!
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by agabaI23(m): 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2010
England also fixed their matches. Bloody idiots! angry
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by obarodeghe: 5:38pm On Jul 10, 2010
I suppose very soon we shall hear funny stories that Ghana is being suspected of match fixing because Asamoah Gyan lost the penalty against Uruguay!

If you read well between the lines, you will see that the so-called match-fixing BBC news is so terribly ambiguous, so equivocal that you cannot really lay your hand on anything tangible. Even the most idiotic human being knows that the disbanded ''Super Chickens'' did not need to engage in any match fixing before losing - that team was simply INCAPABLE of winning any match even against the 1st team of a secondary school football team! Yes, it was that bad!!

It is almost akin to saying Honduras fixed all their WC matches!

If people are jobless or do not know what to do, they may as well go and sell pure water or go rob a bank instead of peddling silly rumours. I urge everybody to simply disregard the news in its entirety. It is nothing, but a red herring.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by DrKnow1(m): 5:46pm On Jul 10, 2010
That's it; that goal! yes that goal Yakubu missed angry
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by femmy2010(m): 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2010
why would i pay a team that i am sure would lose money to lose?
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by davidif: 6:08pm On Jul 10, 2010
NA LIE JARE. LOOKING FOR EXCUSES FOR LOSING.

Dr Know:

That's it; that goal! yes that goal Yakubu missed angry

[size=28pt]WHAT OF NIKLAS BENDTNER'S MISSED GOAL LAST SEASON OR WORSE MALOUDA'S MISS WAS EVEN WORSE, SO NO EXCUSES. [/size]
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by phreakabit(m): 7:32pm On Jul 10, 2010
Hmm, I dont know what to say,dont want to jump to conclusions but why the heck is largerback smiling in this pic

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-474331.0.html
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 10, 2010
obaroghede said:

I suppose very soon we shall hear funny stories that Ghana is being suspected of match fixing because Asamoah Gyan lost the penalty against Uruguay!

If you read well between the lines, you will see that the so-called match-fixing BBC news is so terribly ambiguous, so equivocal that you cannot really lay your hand on anything tangible. Even the most idiotic human being knows that the disbanded ''Super Chickens'' did not need to engage in any match fixing before losing - that team was simply INCAPABLE of winning any match even against the 1st team of a secondary school football team! Yes, it was that bad!!

It is almost akin to saying Honduras fixed all their WC matches!

If people are jobless or do not know what to do, they may as well go and sell pure water or go rob a bank instead of peddling silly rumours. I urge everybody to simply disregard the news in its entirety. It is nothing, but a red herring.

Dude, please just shut your dirty ignorant mouth because you know nothing about what goes on in the global betting industry.

It's idiots like you, whom, rather than go and LEARN about the 'industry' and then come out with a proper response to the charges based on real knowledge, would prefer to pollute our consciousness with your dumb, off the cuff rubbish.

How come you're suddenly vouching for the likes of Yak, Obasi and co? How well do you know them on a personal level? How do you know the charges are baseless?

Rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by oloritinu: 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2010
i dont know why people like to make stupid excuses for there mistakes. nigeria team was not good -simple.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by omomoller(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2010
Thank you oloritinu,That nigerian team was not fit @all and where in this world can a coach knw his player inside out within 3 months.

We too like fire brigade approach for this country.
Re: Nigeria Suspected Of Fixing World Cup Matches by obinna5000(m): 10:05pm On Jul 10, 2010
There's no match fixing involved in anything. The Nigerian players were just awful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Pictures Of Messi And His New Tattoo / Defeat: We Found Charms In Our Dressing Room – Nigerian Captain / Week 20 Pool Banker Room 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.