Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why Is Life So Unfair? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Is Life So Unfair? (43634 Views)

There's Is Life Outside Work / Unfair: This Lady Was Rejected At A Job Interview Because She Has A Big Tummy / Am I Really Being unfair To These Two Girls?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:
Let me tell you guys a brief story.
When i was in secondary school, i was the best student in my class. I was so good that I represented my school in any competition held.

Going to university, i still had that flare. I was still very serious. I read like a mad person , but due to some factors , my gp was really bad in yr 2 and 3. Regardless of the fact that I studied hard. Other years were good but it was unfortunate i came out with a 2.2 degree. If a degrees were to be given according to your level of seriousness, I would have made a first class.

However, i came out of school thinking that atleast its not like 2.2 is a bad result, It’s average. I tried looking for a job, but everywhere says minimum 2.1. I had to settle for a teaching job which i still do now. I have given up on looking for job because everyone says the same thing. 2.2 has made me believe i am no longer intelligent. People in my family, my friends , my colleagues at work all believe that i am intelligent. But my degree tells me otherwise.

Now here is what saddens me. A friend of mine whom i knew i was better than academically back in school posted a picture of a car given to him by his employer. He came out with a 2.1 (p:s he got that job without knowing anyone in the company,he saw it online and applied).Everyone in the department knew how he always passed his exams. Although i am genuinely happy for him, but I am sad for myself. Do employers think that we 2.2 graduates are totally worthless? Coming out with 2.1 is a nice achievement and many people who got it worked really hard for it but many factors can make a bright student come out with 2.2. I have been teaching for three years now and I sometimes ask myself, would I continue like this? I don’t want to be like some of my colleagues who are way older than i am and still teaching. I am 25.

An advice to people in universities. Do any thing you can to come out with a 2.1. Don’t let that no job thing fool you. Read , cheat or buy 2.1, but do whatever it takes to come out with it. Get it first then listen to the no job story because your story can actually change with it. As for 2.2, there is actually no job unless you have somebody somewhere.

I was actually a few points short of first class when I graduated, had a solid 2.1 plus distinction in computer engineering(diploma).
Still employers ain't rushing, I already have a side hustle that brings sizable income monthly. So am not really seriously searching for those slavery 30k jobs, Though teaching is an option, I get distracted too easily during classes & end up going off topic which isn't really fair to the students.

Anyways I believe am unique & special, so do things by my own terms, time & standard. I have a plan for myself which leads to the same conclusion but with three different routes, only one route has government job in it.

All I can say now is Alhamdulliah, everything is going as planned

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by aforosco(m): 7:51pm On Oct 07, 2018
0955eb027:

How affordable is it to enrol for these programme?
I am not the public relations of that sch but I want to tell you for the two years it will cost you close to 500k
The good thing is that you don't have to pay in full.
Mine I paid 120k each semester (4) so of you working and you can afford to save 30k each month to save ursef you will be able to afford the program for the two yrs pain
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by aforosco(m): 7:51pm On Oct 07, 2018
0955eb027:

How affordable is it to enrol for these programme?
I am not the public relations of that sch but I want to tell you for the two years it will cost you close to 500k
The good thing is that you don't have to pay in full.
Mine I paid 120k each semester (4) so of you working and you can afford to save 30k each month to save ursef you will be able to afford the program
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Stallion93(m): 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2018
Despite the high regard for 2:1, the supposedly gurus, Nigeria is still a shithole, poverty headquarters. OP just try to leave this country, Nigeria is the reason for your misfortune, There's much more to life outside of here
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by gidjah(m): 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2018
[quote author=Hisduchess post=71773895]
my dear am gonna be very realistic with u here.I graduated with a 2.1 in one of the paramedical courses from one of the Good uni around but I can't even boast of a good permanent job much more a good paying one but some of my classmates who graduated with a 3rd class and a 2.2 are fairly doing well. not like am having a kinda self pity for myself, Mbanu! cos I believe in people having different destinies.
am a strong believer of legitimate hustle, so I ll advice u to hustle hard,develop urself, take legit risks,forget self pity, learn one of these I.T professional courses that are hot cakes.put that certificate aside and man up cos the truth is that no one really cares except u decide to care for yourself.
in Nigeria today going to university is just for one to be literate and nothing more.gone are those days people go to school to evade poverty simply with their certificates.
u see some people with 2.1 or 1st class certificates, that is what is limiting them cos oftentimes what we have limits us, especially here in Nigeria where we have this default mentality of entitlement in every sphere of our lives. some graduates lavishing in poverty might have been rich if they are caterers, business men e.t.c cos they are naturally good cooks or a good salesperson but no oooo their certificate limited them and they are wallowing in poverty waiting for our yeye govt to give them job or a rich sugar mummy to come their way.
so my dear use that ur natural intelligence gift to walk urself into success and forget that certificate grades cos the end justifies the means.

bless up!!![/quoteGod bless you so much !y princess.its high time we understand that your cert won't put food on your table,only your skills and gift would do that.I am science oriented with tops but I am into entrepreneurship today and a clergy too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by BYallthentic: 7:56pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:
When i was in secondary school, i was the best student in my class. I was so good that I represented my school in any competition held.

Going to university, i still had that flare. I was still very serious. I read like a mad person , but due to some factors , my gp was really bad in yr 2 and 3. Regardless of the fact that I studied hard. Other years were good but it was unfortunate i came out with a 2.2 degree. If a degrees were to be given according to your level of seriousness, I would have made a first class.

However, i came out of school thinking that atleast its not like 2.2 is a bad result, It’s average. I tried looking for a job, but everywhere says minimum 2.1. I had to settle for a teaching job which i still do now. I have given up on looking for job because everyone says the same thing. 2.2 has made me believe i am no longer intelligent. People in my family, my friends , my colleagues at work all believe that i am intelligent. But my degree tells me otherwise.

Now here is what saddens me. A friend of mine whom i knew i was better than academically back in school posted a picture of a car given to him by his employer. He came out with a 2.1 (p:s he got that job without knowing anyone in the company,he saw it online and applied).Everyone in the department knew how he always passed his exams. Although i am genuinely happy for him, but I am sad for myself. Do employers think that we 2.2 graduates are totally worthless? Coming out with 2.1 is a nice achievement and many people who got it worked really hard for it but many factors can make a bright student come out with 2.2. I have been teaching for three years now and I sometimes ask myself, would I continue like this? I don’t want to be like some of my colleagues who are way older than i am and still teaching. I am 25.

An advice to people in universities. Do any thing you can to come out with a 2.1. Don’t let that no job thing fool you. Read , cheat or buy 2.1, but do whatever it takes to come out with it. Get it first then listen to the no job story because your story can actually change with it. As for 2.2, there is actually no job unless you have somebody somewhere.

Your degree certificate is not a skill!
What are your skills and core competencies?
What career path do you intend to follow
Find it, You can start by giving free services, unpaid internships
If you are as good as you claim,, dem go rush you at the end of the day!
Bottom line
Live the life you love, love the life you live
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Grupo(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
vingeophysicist:
The op is really funny he doesn't know that Nigeria does not care about your class of degree.it's all-out connection here.
I graduated among the best in my department since 2015 and concluded service last year may but I'm not even bothered about job because I know the country I live.
My only mistake in life is not taking advantage of my gifting in school to build my future by now I would have been an employer of Labour but I'm working on that.I regretted ever channeling too much energy trying to graduate well.

But you are a programmer na! Those don't look for jobs in Nigeria. Except you are not a pro.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by slivertongue: 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
Life was unfair even after making 4.05. bt my family stood by me. God used them 2save me from depression& shame.b strong

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Offpoint: 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:

Dude let me tell you the bitter truth like I always do, as long as you rely on your degree you remain poor, frustrated and depressed. tomorrow you'll get another job with a peanut of salary. the greatest mistake any Nigerian will ever made going to higher institution with the mentality of automatic mouth watering job... wake the fück up and get a an IT skill, learn a trade, stop wasting your time and knowledge. the more you rely on your degree, the more depressed you'll get.... discover yourself bro.... discover yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by gidjah(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
eleojo23:
OP, the less you compare yourself with others, the less depressed you will be.
Your time will come. Just keep trying..

I know that this may sound like a cliché but let's learn to look beyond our certificates.
The idea that certificates are the only path to success is a lie that we have all believed and despite many instances of people who have proved otherwise (entrepreneurs), we still believe the lie.
hi, its been long on nairaland, where you been ?
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
You fucking graduated with a 2 2 and you might be unemployable to make it worst.. .. fucking work on this before you come crying.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Elliot2(m): 7:59pm On Oct 07, 2018
i av one of d saddest stories to tell. my life took a nose dive since d day i chose art as against my science interest,to study law in order to fight for my family in a land dispute. i did not even achieve that,n nw i am left with a 2.2 in comm.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Grupo(m): 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2018
jonath0012:
Lol... You are a very funny Op. We wey we get first class come join with Master's stil find it very difficult to get a job... we are still breathing

To be candid as I type I live on 20k teaching job per month.

Don't give up, Op!

With your first class? Are you serous right now?
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by adegeye38(m): 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:

Are u a Christian?, if not i advice you give your life to Christ and put your faith in him, it doesn't matter wat you have in ur certificate, you will get your miracle job

1 Like

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Vowels(m): 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2018
I'm a First Class graduate and I am still home.
Spent all my profits from my data business on tfair job hunting.
Any HR here interested in me, my details are below.
Bro, life is harder in real life.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Westbestside: 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2018
BMedia:
Do not despair, but continually improve yourself as you put your faith and trust in God.

Let me share my story - So I and a relative finished from the same faculty some years ago, and due to several factors including a ridiculous uni policy and juvenile deliquency, we only managed to finish with a pass degree. Of course I was disheartened but we went ahead to serve the nation (NYSC). Soon after, my cousin's dad who was in government was able to secure a job for him with an international NGO operating in our state, despite the class of degree, while I went to the U.K to attempt a fresh degree. Few years later I graduated with a 2.1 (Honours) and immediately proceeded for my MSc which I completed with a Merit. All these cost me at least N30 million in tuition and living expenses as this was when the Naira fell as low as N600 to 1 pound.

Well I returned to Nigeria with my 3 degrees expecting to be the toast of employers, but I kept passing aptitude tests and attending interviews but was unable to get a job due to the Nigerian factor (though i must admit I was initially rather choosy considering the magnitude of my investment) until a month ago when I landed an FG job (through connection not merit) which pays next to nothing, but I accepted as a stepping stone to greater heights (if you know how the FG works).

Interestingly while I was bettering myself for the labour market, my cousin had already married, gained significant NGO experience, and only a few weeks ago got a mouth watering (actually an understatement) offer to join their mission in the U.S based on his satisfactory performance on the job over the years. With a pass degree.

Now is this fair? Of course not. Do i regret my choices? Not at all because the exposure, knowledge and experience I gained (worked in insurance for a year during my masters in the UK) has equipped me for greatness and my faith and trust in God assures me that i was only being prepared for the greater exploits, according to his divine purpose, especially as I am working towards establishing a private practice, amidst other entrepreneurial aspirations.

I hesitatingly decided to share this story but I hope it encourages you, with the knowledge that your class of degree does not ultimately determine your altitude in life, but your divine purpose, God's timing and your hunger for success and self improvement. Stop using your friend as a ruler to measure yourself, instead pray & trust in God, think outside the "teaching box" (get relevant professional certifications, attend seminars for networking opportunities, explore entrepreneurship) and you should be fine. Good luck.
God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Mankosi: 8:03pm On Oct 07, 2018
Keep wailing bro. That employer u are waiting for to employ u if he had spent his time looking for job the way u are doing do u think he would be employing people now. I bet u u are not intelligent as u claim because if u are u won't be saying all these. Intelligence is not by reading and writing alone. It also involves the ability to think deep and think out sth to better ur life. 3yrs gone and u are still searching for job?. Have it occurred to u that u will marry and have kids someday. Comon bro!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by gidjah(m): 8:03pm On Oct 07, 2018
Namady:

Bro our story is like 80% the same. I graduated at 21 with 2.2 degree. It felt like the sweetest thing ever. Finished serving since Feb 2014 and I have been teaching ever since. Good thing is, I managed to do my M Sc despite all the financial odds plus I’m into some extra lessons. Bad as e bad I dey make like 70-80K monthly. ONE ADVICE: Never give up �
you guys should try hooking up in to higher institutions na.what you doing in a sec school with an MSc? Which state are you presently now ?
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by spiritedtete: 8:09pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:

An advice to people in universities. Do any thing you can to come out with a 2.1. Don’t let that no job thing fool you. Read , cheat or buy 2.1, but do whatever it takes to come out with it. Get it first then listen to the no job story because your story can actually change with it. As for 2.2, there is actua lly no job unless you have somebody somewhere.

You are so myopic...

My friend I got my first Job without a degree... Paid 6 digit back then..

I got all I needed from that job and went for courses.. And at my own time I went for my degree. (direct entry) and this was the most wasted time of my life..
Because I was studying to pass... Instead of studying to know..

My wife finished with a 3rd class.... Got a 7 digit paying job without knowing anyone... She came out top during the interview... After some years she went for a PGD and came out as the best graduating student though.. But she is not looking for a job.. Now her Wikipedia page is sort after.

Don't ever give excuses to failure... It is not about your degree but about your wisdom..

Your wisdom will lead you to a self realization to develop and Sharpen a skill that will be sort after..

To be honest I will slap wisdom into your brain of you were my brother.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Edipee(m): 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2018
jonath0012:
Lol... You are a very funny Op. We wey we get first class come join with Master's stil find it very difficult to get a job... we are still breathing

To be candid as I type I live on 20k teaching job per month.

Don't give up, Op!

You mean! Hmmm. May God help us. I have a reason to thank God.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Gandokii(m): 8:11pm On Oct 07, 2018
This OP sef...your case is same as mine. I was one of the best top five in my class but due to our HOD who is a saddist that slashed our gp and made academics unbearable for everyone thinking that all his students are not serious and sort lecturers. And this really affected the serious ones like me which made me graduate with just few decimals away from 2.1. Very heart breaking...but thank God I learnt a trade which I run from home that is paying more that a 15k per month teaching job while I still look for a befitting white collar job. Learning a skill can liberate you...tho looking for capital to establish and start a brand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Timekeeper: 8:11pm On Oct 07, 2018
FunnyDude:
Some people don't have the opportunity of going to school, here you are talking about 2.2 bullshit.

For the record, I'm even regretting why I went through school and wasted FOUR years.. Bullshit

Instead of going into entrepreneurship earlier and employ people like you, pay you like 100k monthly.You'll be happy right?

You think 2.1 is the end of it all?

If you don't have the creativity and brain you may die poor even with your salary as 2.1 holder. Bullshit graduate

I graduated with a 2.2, but my colleagues with 2.1 are not better than me. Why? I developed myself to be a better person.

It got to a stage I no more look for a job because I'm not happy being locked down from 9-5.

Registered my company name with CAC recently.

Get that freaking Skill-->Save Up--> Start a business.

You better open your eyes to opportunities around you, till then I wish you success.

Like which skill can I acquire pls, I'm still an undergraduate... Going to level 4...schooling in the north
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Jahwinaboy(m): 8:11pm On Oct 07, 2018
Everywhere testimonies. Glory hallelujah. I like posts and comments like this.U are not alone.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by perezski(m): 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2018
@ OP tell me what exactly is wrong with teaching. Only if you know how much we(IGCSE certified teachers) earn in the Metropolis of Abj and also some parts of Lagos, you will appreciate what you have and begin to develop your skills,experience and certifications in the teaching industry. Try find a Cambridge certified school where they write IGCSE and major in the British curriculum and ditch all these archaic and dated private schools with WAEC n NECO orientations. Since u said u are academically sound i want to believe u can teach one or 2 IGCSE subjects with a sound knowledge of these subjects overtime. With these done, big Cambridge schools will definitely require your services with nothing less than 200k or 250k as a starter and with some other juicy packages under your terms of condition of work subject to your negotiating skills. As i write this to you most certified Cambridge schools pay nothing less than 300-400k monthly to someone with mininum of 5yrs teaching experience especially in Abuja(still subject to your negotiating skills). Teaching has swiftly gone beyond the traditonal 9ja black board or white board learning styles to the use of wholistic digital learning tools and other 21st century learning techniques that are fun and creative. All these are easily learnt and acquired if u find ursef in certified cambridge schools. With patience and perseverance you will get there. Do not consume yoursef with the defeatistic mindset that its impossible to get to these schools without connections and pls always tink outside the box. If you are a 2.1 degree holder or 2.2 teaching and earning less than 100k after 4-5 years in the same profession, you definitely have a problem. Today, teaching jobs have lots of opportunities where if you know you know.....when u tap into it u thank me later....

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by spiritedtete: 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2018
Timekeeper:

Like which skill can I acquire pls, I'm still an undergraduate... Going to level 4...schooling in the north

What are you studying and what are your area of interest in life?
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Timekeeper: 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2018
sherylbakky:
My dear, life is fair but Nigeria is unfair. I graduated with 2:1, but still hunting for job. I regret working hard n denying mysef of many tins to achieve dat 2:1 goal wen i was in sch. No b by good grade ooo. All dos ppl telling u had it bn u av 2:1 are just deceiving u. They can't hlp even if u av first class. I'm a living witness 2 dat. An uncle after seeing my result has promised me a lecturing job 4 more dan 6 months now...i no hear frm hin again. Erase ur mind frm dat 2:1 stuff, if d country is ok, u sudnt av employment issue even after graduating with Pass. Nigeria youths are just affected by Economic problem. Just pray hard n hustle legitimately, its gonna b well. I'v bn trying many tins which none is working at present, but i bliv i will smile at last, once i dont stop. Every hustler gat a pay day

What can I do? Going to level 4,tired of schooling but I need skills
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 07, 2018
shege45:

Wallowing in sadness or self pity is the last thing you should be doing, what did you study in school?

Upgrade, get a Master's, do a PGD if necessary, start applying for graduate assistantship in universities, especially the ones in your home state or the private ones, once you're hardworking, it's a good place to start, abi you no wan become VC of a university some day? Think big!

Many Master's scholarships are ongoing, 2.2 is accepted, have you applied?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by Henry22(m): 8:16pm On Oct 07, 2018
BMedia:
Do not despair, but continually improve yourself as you put your faith and trust in God.

Let me share my story - So I and a relative finished from the same faculty some years ago, and due to several factors including a ridiculous uni policy and juvenile deliquency, we only managed to finish with a pass degree. Of course I was disheartened but we went ahead to serve the nation (NYSC). Soon after, my cousin's dad who was in government was able to secure a job for him with an international NGO operating in our state, despite the class of degree, while I went to the U.K to attempt a fresh degree. Few years later I graduated with a 2.1 (Honours) and immediately proceeded for my MSc which I completed with a Merit. All these cost me at least N30 million in tuition and living expenses as this was when the Naira fell as low as N600 to 1 pound.

Well I returned to Nigeria with my 3 degrees expecting to be the toast of employers, but I kept passing aptitude tests and attending interviews but was unable to get a job due to the Nigerian factor (though i must admit I was initially rather choosy considering the magnitude of my investment) until a month ago when I landed an FG job (through connection not merit) which pays next to nothing, but I accepted as a stepping stone to greater heights (if you know how the FG works).

Interestingly while I was bettering myself for the labour market, my cousin had already married, gained significant NGO experience, and only a few weeks ago got a mouth watering (actually an understatement) offer to join their mission in the U.S based on his satisfactory performance on the job over the years. With a pass degree.

Now is this fair? Of course not. Do i regret my choices? Not at all because the exposure, knowledge and experience I gained (worked in insurance for a year during my masters in the UK) has equipped me for greatness and my faith and trust in God assures me that i was only being prepared for the greater exploits, according to his divine purpose, especially as I am working towards establishing a private practice, amidst other entrepreneurial aspirations.

I hesitatingly decided to share this story but I hope it encourages you, with the knowledge that your class of degree does not ultimately determine your altitude in life, but your divine purpose, God's timing and your hunger for success and self improvement. Stop using your friend as a ruler to measure yourself, instead pray & trust in God, think outside the "teaching box" (get relevant professional certifications, attend seminars for networking opportunities, explore entrepreneurship) and you should be fine. Good luck.

SO U HAD 30MILL AND U CHOSE TO WASTE IT ON SCHOOL.......I CAN BECOME AN EMPLOYER OF LABOUR WITH SUCH MONEY.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by sweetTai(m): 8:18pm On Oct 07, 2018
Nonsense! You haven’t learned your lessons. This is the same mindset that got you that 2-2 instead of 2-1 or first class. You are lucky to have a job, perform your job duties better than a 2-1 or first class and you can turn your 2-2 to a 2-1 with your performances. If you keep comparing your sad fate with your colleagues, your condition will get worse and life will be even harder for you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by AlphaStyles(m): 8:18pm On Oct 07, 2018
OP dont go into despair when 1 door closes try another 1 try and look at life in another angle let your brain fetch u money not ur cert

1 Like

Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by akdjr(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2018
Why do people still think coming out of school with an excellent result guarantee you a well paid job that will make you successful in life? Degree is gradually loosing its value and its high time our undergraduate realize that as well as those seeking admission into higher institution. There are thousands of skills you can learn within 3-6 months and become successful in life than spending 4-6years studying courses to become labour market member.
Re: Why Is Life So Unfair? by basic23111: 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2018
BMedia:

you are rightly correct...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Recruitment Exercise For 2017 Begins / Warning To All Employed People Applying For N-Power / Twenty Career Pages of Nigerian Bank Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.