Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her (19776 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Don't Use Feminism To Justify Your Wickedness / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism / Sex Na Food (Pidgin Comedy Edition) Story Of A Rugged Guy By Youngzubi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by SlayQueenSlayer(m): 12:56pm On Oct 04, 2018
Finestteebee:
sister Siddon there been dey preach feminism whereas she don get hussy wey dey TAMPETUA her, this can't work in Africa, meanwhile naira land ladies Siddon there make she dey deceive Una ...una better receive sense...

Which of the points listed do you think will not work in Africa, and why?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by profmallor: 12:58pm On Oct 04, 2018
Even amongst men, sadly not all men are equal, Africans are still fighting and dealing with racism stigma across the world. Even very successful footballers like Eto still have to contend with condescending views of white men. I dont know if we would have ever have an equal world till Christ comes back
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by DLuciano: 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2018
... women to pay groom price

... men to carry 9 months pregnancy

... men to breastfeed their babies

... women to be the head of the family

Chimamanda, you cannot change God's law!

You cannot be God!

You cannot be wiser than God!

How civilized or knowledge you think you have, don't turn against God.

If you say "men be fair to women", its understandable but not trying to knock off what God has instituted.

A woman is a "help meet" that is what the bible says, but a should never insult or treat a woman badly, "Husbands love your wives" that is what the scripture says.

Man was created before a woman, ask Mr Adams!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Charmingpet: 1:00pm On Oct 04, 2018
Those points are not bad

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by ORIENTATION101: 1:00pm On Oct 04, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
wow
I love Chimaamanda!
I love Chimaamanda!!
I love Chimaamanda!!!

My love for her is like copied assignments, I just can't explain 'em. smiley
This lady is always making sense, but the typical Nairalander is blinded by culture.
Attack her and she keeps going viral.
Keep on hating and she keeps gracing the fp.

Have you ever asked yourself who made those culture you live to fulfill?
Did they fall from the sky?
Can't they be amended?

Feminism is simply, EQUALITY OF THE BOTH SEXES! I'm a guy and I support it 100%. Don't cheat me and I'd never cheat you.
It's as simple as that. No one chose which sexes they were born with, so why should one be superior?

If you're quoting me, please make some sense. That's all I have to say!
so tell me how feminism is going to bridge the biological /genetical gap between a. man and woman since it preaches equality

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by SadMemories(m): 1:04pm On Oct 04, 2018
Tessyama1:
Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was a guest on BBC pidgin recently, and she pointed out what feminism means to her.

Her main point, according to her, she wants people to start talking about how men and women are equal, and how women would not be deprived of things. 

See some of her points and watch the video below....

1. Men and women are equal, simple
2. Women to inherit properties
3. Nigerian women to have the right to give their foreign husband's Nigerian citizenship
4. Men to help their wives with domestic chores

Watch the video here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-speaks-pidgin-english-reveals-what-feminism-means-to-her.html

na wa for this lady o! everytime and everything wey she know na feminism
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Talknochip(m): 1:07pm On Oct 04, 2018
My perception about Chimamanda's Feminism cause changed the day i saw her write up about Jesus appearing to the women folk first after his death!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by martineverest(m): 1:07pm On Oct 04, 2018
and some Nigerians that haven't spent up to 3 weeks in UK will form as if he or she can't speak pidgin english

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by denony(m): 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
Madam why?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by spikemmy(m): 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
wow
I love Chimaamanda!
I love Chimaamanda!!
I love Chimaamanda!!!

My love for her is like copied assignments, I just can't explain 'em. smiley
This lady is always making sense, but the typical Nairalander is blinded by culture.
Attack her and she keeps going viral.
Keep on hating and she keeps gracing the fp.

Have you ever asked yourself who made those culture you live to fulfill?
Did they fall from the sky?
Can't they be amended?

Feminism is simply, EQUALITY OF THE BOTH SEXES! I'm a guy and I support it 100%. Don't cheat me and I'd never cheat you.
It's as simple as that. No one chose which sexes they were born with, so why should one be superior?

If you're quoting me, please make some sense. That's all I have to say!

i hope when you are married and give birth to both boys and girls and they attain the age of 15 you will ask the girl child to wash the cars, fetch water, weed the grasses, do all the hard jobs that we feel are meant for guys...
when you beat both of them for wrongs, i hope you will allow the male child cry and not shut him that he is a man and doesnt have to cry.
i hope your husband gives equal amount of pocket money given to the girl child to the boy
and finally, you have to share the responsibilities equally with your husband ranging from rents, bills, school fees, shopping bills etc
if you are not here to monitor all these then your feminism claim is false

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Jaqenhghar: 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
That 1st point is where the wahala is. Its not that simple. She went to a feminist society and was dissapointed that no man helped her carry her load. Thats the equality. You cant want equality then expect to be petted

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Icon79(m): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
Wow. What a news article right there! The next thread we'll read would be "Chimamanda Adichie takes a piss".

Bizarre people angry sad shocked

O pari
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Hill1960: 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
Feminist agenda will end up taking away women submissiveness from our families.

Ever wondered why the rate of divorce is high in the western world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by freecocoa(f): 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
DopeAngel:
This woman go and die abeg. We have a more bigger problem to face sending the dullard back to daura. No come use your reggae spoil our blues.

Go die with your stupid feminism.
She should go and side because she’s championing that women be treated with same respect as men, I really pity una.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2018
spikemmy:

i hope when you are married and give birth to both boys and girls and they attain the age of 15 you will ask the girl child to wash the cars, fetch water, weed the grasses, do all the hard jobs that we feel are meant for guys...
when you beat both of them for wrongs, i hope you will allow the male child cry and not shut him that he is a man and doesnt have to cry.
i hope your husband gives equal amount of pocket money given to the girl child to the boy
and finally, you have to share the responsibilities equally with your husband ranging from rents, bills, school fees, shopping bills etc
if you are not here to monitor all these then your feminism claim is false

A hater spotted embarassed
You didn't even read the line that I was a guy, but anyways let me give you some relevance.

The answers to your questions:
- Even as boys, we all don't have the same ability, so why should my girls do the hard jobs? I remember in secondary school, I didn't do any manual labor because I didn't look strong. We had stronger boys then, but now my school has employed staff to do the works though.
- I won't even let my female kids cry, which kid deserves to? Do kids cry when happy?
- I'm working, so I should be able to take care of my family. How we do that isn't your bleeping business.

I hope your questions are answered now?

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by spikemmy(m): 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2018
GENDER EQUALITY: YES
EQUAL RESPONSIBILITIES: NO

grin grin grin grin.. Life of Nigerian Feminist

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2018
ORIENTATION101:
so tell me how feminism is going to bridge the biological /genetical gap between a. man and woman since it preaches equality

Since feminism wouldn't bridge them, would you now let a woman be higher than you?
There are no doubt a good number of ways they are superior too. Won't you hold onto that to say they are the superior sexes?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by lepusok: 1:19pm On Oct 04, 2018
she as d ryt to speak
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by SarcasticGenius(m): 1:19pm On Oct 04, 2018
Kolombz:
This lady just keep insulting her husband with this cause she is championing.I guess she is oblivious to the fact that true feminists oppose the institution of marriage because they see it as a way of keeping a woman in a bondage.Marriage to them underpins patriarchy they frown at.The fact that she is happily married to a man alone belies the feminism cause she is espousing.
Staying abroad has made her lose touch with what is obtainable here in Africa and has also given her the leeway to advocate this her cause.Maybe she trying to appeal to the westerners because as far as I am concerned I doubt if feminism can gain a foothold in Africa here.It totally runs foul of our cultures and traditions.

It's a lack of intelligence that will keep feminism out of Africa, just as it has kept other progressive movements like science, technology and economic advancement beyond the reach of the typical dimwitted sub-intelligent ape descended Africans.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:20pm On Oct 04, 2018
DopeAngel:
This woman go and die abeg. We have a more bigger problem to face sending the dullard back to daura. No come use your reggae spoil our blues.

Go die with your stupid feminism.

You are not dumb, so goan fight the so called bigger battles embarassed
Asking her to die for airing her views is nothing more than what a lunatic would do...

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2018
so your husband can also bend for a doggy?

equality kee you
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Ategberoson(m): 1:22pm On Oct 04, 2018
hypocrite though I like some of your book but enough of this far away sensitization. come to east and educated your almajiri

give Igbo girl equal right as the male child. enough of using them as marriage tools
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Airforce01(m): 1:24pm On Oct 04, 2018
Rubbish talk
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by ajl: 1:27pm On Oct 04, 2018
Shelumiel:
Let her take her feminist views to Europe and America. We do not need them here since they do not fit into our culture

Why does equality not fit your culture? So it's okay if a widow is not allowed to inherit her husband's properties even though it's likely they both worked hard for it. I also have issue with her feminism thing generally but all the points she stated in that pidgin interview are things that need to be resolved.

I think her view on feminism is shaped by her Igbo culture where women are not allowed to inherit husband properties... she has a point. But the mistake she made was joining forces with empty headed feminist in Western world. Aside from equal pay, those ones no get anything to say. I think she need to put things in context when she talk about feminism. She should be talking about equal rights. But are Nija women ready to do 50/50 for family expense. My madam only wan give 25% of her pay while she expect me as the husband to spend 100% of my pay on the family.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by spikemmy(m): 1:28pm On Oct 04, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:

A hater spotted embarassed
You didn't even read the line that I was a guy, but anyways let me give you some relevance.

The answers to your questions:
- Even as boys, we all don't have the same ability, so why should my girls do the hard jobs? I remember in secondary school, I didn't do any manual labor because I didn't look strong. We had stronger boys then, but now my school has employed staff to do the works though.
- I won't even let my female kids cry, which kid deserves to? Do kids cry when happy?
- I'm working, so I should be able to take care of my family. How we do that isn't your bleeping business.

I hope your questions are answered now?

I am not a hater.. I dont know you, you do not know me.. why will i hate you for your opinion?

- You cannot compare the mental strenght of a boy to that of a girl. Hence, 70% of guys are physically stronger... Mind you, your children will go wrong and you (someone) will scold them they will express themselves emotionally.. asking a boy to bottle up will make give him a mental advantage over the girl child. Finally, how you intend to run your family has never been my biz and wont.. N.B I am not against helping your partner. I feel we cannot be equal cos we are created to compliment eachother not competition... Good day

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:28pm On Oct 04, 2018
ifymadu:
But she is making sense. As a man I think I agree with her on the points she raised.

Nairalander with sense wink

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2018
spikemmy:
[s]GENDER EQUALITY: YES
EQUAL RESPONSIBILITIES: NO

grin grin grin grin.. Life of Nigerian Feminist[/s]

Next please...

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by pryme(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2018
Tessyama1:
Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was a guest on BBC pidgin recently, and she pointed out what feminism means to her.

Her main point, according to her, she wants people to start talking about how men and women are equal, and how women would not be deprived of things. 

See some of her points and watch the video below....

1. Men and women are equal, simple

2. Women to inherit properties
3. Nigerian women to have the right to give their foreign husband's Nigerian citizenship
4. Men to help their wives with domestic chores

Watch the video here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-speaks-pidgin-english-reveals-what-feminism-means-to-her.html

Gender equality, if we are to follow this course of action in its entirety, trust me it's you women that will ask for a time out.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Rocktation(f): 1:32pm On Oct 04, 2018
She has not said anything that's out of place. I'm very sure, if there wasn't a continuous push for fairness to us, people of color, we'd all still be in chains by now and feminism would be least of our worries.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:33pm On Oct 04, 2018
spikemmy:

I am not a hater.. I dont know you, you do not know me.. why will i hate you for your opinion?

- You cannot compare the mental strenght of a boy to that of a girl. Hence, 70% of guys are physically stronger... Mind you, your children will go wrong and you (someone) will scold them they will express themselves emotionally.. asking a boy to bottle up will make give him a mental advantage over the girl child. Finally, how you intend to run your family has never been my biz and wont.. N.B I am not against helping your partner. I feel we cannot be equal cos we are created to compliment eachother not competition... Good day

I repeat... I AM A GUY
The mental strength is personal, there are intelligent guys and also intelligent girls.
it is more of personal...

I didn't mean you were my hater, I meant you were CHIMAAMANDA's hater.

If you can ask a guy to bottle up, you can also ask a girl. You will also give them the mental advantage over their female peers!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by texazzpete(m): 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2018
Shelumiel:
Let her take her feminist views to Europe and America. We do not need them here since they do not fit into our culture

Your culture once had twins being thrown into the forbidden forest, the Osu caste system that ruined many lives, forced female genital mutilation, child marriage, breast ironing, torture of widows and sexual assault.

Culture has changed before. Shitty aspects of it have been thrown out. Elements that violate the fundamental human rights of others are shite.

People that blindly cling to "it's the culture" have wasted the funds invested in their education.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Blood In The Ring" A Crime Thriller By John Mfon. / The Chronicles Of Taofik Shakitibobo / BARTER TRADE ( Fiction With Nairaland Characters)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.