Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,271 members, 7,780,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:31 PM

Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? (3504 Views)

Please Ladies With Heavy Menstrual Flow, Let Gather Here & Share Whats Worked 4 / HELP CURE ACNE: WHERE TO GET ACCUTANE/ISOTRETINOIN PLEASE? / How To Treat Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Naturally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 04, 2018
Good evening all.
Please I'd love to know if there's a solution to heavy menstrual flow cos I am tired of buying two packets of Always every month!
Be it herbal or drugs. I'll even appreciate the days reducing from 5 days to 3 days oginidu.

I am opened to any solution biko. P.s its not a disease or abnormality o but I just want the stress reduced.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by DEXTROVERT: 9:04pm On Oct 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Good evening all.
Please I'd love to know if there's a solution to heavy menstrual flow cos I am tired of buying two packets of Always every month!
Be it herbal or drugs. I'll even appreciate the days reducing from 5 days to 3 days oginidu.

I am opened to any solution biko. P.s its not a disease or abnormality o but I just want the stress reduced.

Get
Pregnant

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 04, 2018
DEXTROVERT:

Get
Pregnant
How's that a solution?
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Ishilove: 9:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
How's that a solution?
Use Tranexamic acid 500mg, One or two tabs a day depending on the flow. When the flow reduces stop taking it.

What is the root cause of the heavy flow? Has it always been like this?

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by KingSango(m): 9:15pm On Oct 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Good evening all.

Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding. Although heavy menstrual bleeding is a common concern, most women don't experience blood loss severe enough to be defined as menorrhagia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRrve6wj70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fI_boWyJAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhZ795W2H0

How to Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Naturally

Three Methods:Using Herbal and Home RemediesModifying Your DietWhen Should You Try This?Community Q&A

Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding, which is also called menorrhagia, can occur to any menstruating woman.[1] Heavy menstruation can affect your daily life, including physical activities and your emotional health, as well as your social life. It can also cause serious health problem such as iron-deficiency anemia.[2] In order to stop heavy menstrual bleeding naturally, you can try different types of home remedies and making changes to your diet.

See When Should You Try This? to learn more about when to try natural remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding.
Method 1
Using Herbal and Home Remedies

Image titled Get Rid of a Chesty Cough Step 7
Try herbs to reduce blood flow. Many herbs have astringent properties and have long been used to control excessive uterine bleeding. Herbs may also correct hormonal imbalances and control menorrhagia.
Image titled Decaffeinate Tea Step 8
Drink lady’s mantle tea. Lady's mantle is an herb often used for menstrual issues. Drink it as a tea to help reduce heavy menstrual flow.[3]
Lady’s mantle is also known as alchemilla vulgaris or “woman’s herb.”[4]
The leaf of this herb is used in the production of medicine and has strong contractile (muscle tightening), coagulating (blood clotting), and astringent (blood vessel tightening) effects.[5] These characteristics can help bring menstruation to a normal level.
Infuse 1 ounce of dried lady’s mantle leaves in 1 pint of boiling water to make a tea.[6]
Drink tea three times a day until your symptoms subside.[7]
You can get lady’s mantle at some health food and alternative medicine stores.
Image titled Work Night Shift Step 3
Try shepherd’s purse for fast relief. Shepherd's purse is an herb that can constrict blood flow. Try taking shepherd’s purse to help reduce heavy bleeding.[8]
It is also known as capsella bursa pastoris.
Look for shepherd's purse tea at a health store or specialty tea shop or online, and try drinking two cups daily.
This herb can also help address postpartum bleeding.
Image titled Cope with Endometriosis Symptoms at Home Step 3
Use chasteberry to balance your hormones. Chasteberry is an herb that may induce the production of progesterone. Use chasteberry to help balance your hormones and inhibit heavy menstrual bleeding.[9]
Chasteberry is also known as vitex agnus castus or chaste tree.[10]
Chaste tree normalizes the balance of the female hormone cycle. It promotes the release of high amounts of progesterone and inhibits the release of estrogen, which can reduce uterine bleeding.[11]
Try using 4 – 6 mg of chasteberry extract per day during heavy bleeding.[12]
Image titled Use Cinnamon to Help With Diabetes Step 7
Ingest a cinnamon mixture. Cinnamon, which you may use in cooking or baking, is also a well-known spice that may provide relief from heavy bleeding. Incorporate more cinnamon into your diet or take it alone to help calm the uterus and prevent heavy bleeding.[13]
Cinnamon has astringent properties that can help close blood vessels and stop heavy bleeding.[14]
Try mixing one cup of hot water with three teaspoon of powdered cinnamon and take it every thirty minutes until bleeding becomes normal.[15]
Incorporating cinnamon in your diet may also help reduce heavy blood flow.
Make sure to only use powdered cinnamon for your mixture. Cinnamon oil can cause nausea, vomiting and even kidney damage.[16]
You can get cinnamon powder at most grocery stores.
Image titled Use Raspberry Leaf Tea During Pregnancy Step 8
Use red raspberry leaf to relax your uterine muscles. Similar to cinnamon, red raspberry contains phytochemicals that may help relax the uterine muscles. Steep the leaves as a tea to help reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.[17]
Although there are no studies on humans, some research on animals has shown the relaxant power of raspberry leaf.[18]
Wash 170 g (2 cups) of raspberry leaves and bring 1/2 liter (about 2 cups) of water to a boil.[19] Strain and enjoy one cup up to three times a day.[20]
Image titled Reduce Unwanted Facial Hair Step 15
Consider black cohosh or sabina. These homeopathic remedies may help alleviate the symptoms of menorrhagia. Studies suggest that black cohosh (cimicifuga racemosa) can regulate estrogen and progesterone levels.[21] Sabina may decrease the severity and duration of menorrhagia.[22]
Try 40 – 200 milligrams of dried black cohosh daily, divided into multiple doses. You can also try 0.4 – 2 milliliters of a (1:10) 60% ethanol tincture, or a tea one to two times daily.
You can find sabina in pellet form from brands like Hylands and Boiron. Follow the dosing on the bottle.
Image titled Prevent Upper Back Pain Step 23
Apply an ice pack to reduce blood loss. Placing an ice pack on your abdomen may reduce bleeding. It may also alleviate pain and swelling.[23]
The application of cold causes vasoconstriction, or the constriction of your blood vessels, which can decrease blood loss.[24]
Wrap an ice pack in a towel or t-shirt and place it over your abdomen for no more than 20 minutes.[25]
Reapply the pack after two to four hours for as long as the symptoms continue.[26]
If it is too cold or your skin gets numb, remove the pack.[27]
Image titled Cope with Endometriosis Symptoms at Home Step 1
Take an NSAID pain reliever. Take an over-the-counter NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) when you experience heavy bleeding. This may not only help reduce blood loss, but also alleviate pain.[28]
Follow the instructions on the medication bottle for dosing.
You can get NSAIDS at pharmacies and some grocery stores.

Method 2
Modifying Your Diet

Image titled Alleviate Breast Tenderness Step 6
Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. You need to make sure you are eating the proper nutrients to sustain your health. By eating a healthy, nutrient-rich diet you can help ensure that your menstrual cycle is regular, which may prevent heavy bleeding.[29]
Choose healthy and nutrient-dense foods such as proteins including nuts, iron rich foods like dark green leafy vegetables, and dairy products like yogurt or cheese for calcium.[30]
You may want to follow the Mediterranean diet, which consists of healthy food combinations of fruits, vegetables, fish, meat and whole grains. It is low in animal fat and high in fish and vegetable oils, which some studies have shown will regulate your menstrual cycle.[31]
Consider healthy oils and seeds such as olive and flaxseed to help relieve menorrhagia.[32]
Image titled Ease off of Carbohydrates Step 7
Get vitamin B to reduce cramping. Green beans contain high fiber and are enriched with vitamin B, which prevents abdominal cramps.
B vitamins are essential components in the conversion of excess estrogen within the liver.[33]
It also promotes the synthesis of prostaglandins, which are an essential compound in reducing abnormal blood clots.[34]
Choose breads and grains that are fortified with iron, Vitamin B, fiber and protein.[35]
Vegetables such as green beans contain Vitamin B.[36]
Image titled Minimize Arthritis Symptoms with Diet Step 9
Incorporate foods rich in iron and vitamin C to promote clotting. Iron plays an essential role in the formation of red blood cells, and an iron deficiency may lead to anemia, which can cause heavy bleeding.[37] Iron and vitamin C have a synergistic effect, with vitamin C being necessary for the effective absorption of iron. Incorporate foods containing both to help with menorrhagia.[38]
Eat vegetables such as broccoli, kale, sweet potatoes, and spinach to help you get iron, calcium, and Vitamin C.[39]
Eat fruits such as oranges and strawberries for Vitamin C. Prunes and dried apricots are a good source of iron.
Image titled Live with Irritable Bowel Syndrome Step 2
Increase your magnesium intake to reduce estrogen. Magnesium is a vital mineral to balance female hormones such as progesterone and estrogen. Increasing your magnesium intake may help level off hormones and reduce heavy bleeding.[40]
As magnesium concentration decreases, your estrogen level increases and results in heavy bleeding.[41]
A good source of magnesium is rich dark chocolates.
Image titled Treat Iron Deficiency Anemia Step 2
Ingest iron supplements. If you are suffering from anemia, you can try taking iron supplements. This may not only help cure your anemia, but also help reduce your menstrual flow.[42]
Follow packaging instructions for taking iron supplements.
You can get iron supplements at most pharmacies and many health food stores.
Image titled Cope with Endometriosis Symptoms at Home Step 6
Consider acupuncture or acupressure. Some studies found that acupuncture or acupressure can help relieve menorrhagia by releasing chemicals into the muscles and brain that control your menstrual cycle. Schedule a session for yourself with a certified practitioner to help relieve heavy bleeding.[43]
Acupressure can help increase blood flow to your back and uterus, which may alleviate cramping.[44]
Research suggests that acupressure or acupuncture may balance hormones, which can relieve hormonal shifts and pain associated with your period.[45]

Method 3
When Should You Try This?

Image titled Get Vitamin B12 Naturally Step 7
Treat menorrhagia when it affects your daily life. Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding can disrupt your life more than normal menstruation does. If your periods make it difficult to perform standard daily tasks, remedies that help stop or slow heavy bleeding can be a good option for you.
Most women won't actually experience bleeding heavy enough to be classified as "menorrhagia." If you have this condition, the amount of blood loss and the severity of any associated cramping will completely prevent you from performing basic, everyday activities.[46]
If your bleeding is only moderately heavy, but not severe, consider relieving your symptoms using common, medically verified treatments instead of unverified herbal options. Relieve pain with NSAIDs and heating pads. Consume nutrients that help your body, and avoid foods or substances that may make cramping worse.
Image titled Choose Anti Inflammatory Foods Step 7
Try herbal remedies when you are not pregnant or breastfeeding. Pregnancy concerns shouldn't be an issue if you’re currently experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding. Since many of these herbal solutions impact hormonal balances, however, they can negatively impact a pregnancy or harm a nursing infant. Taking these herbal supplements before menstruation occurs can be risky if you might be pregnant; similarly, taking these herbs while still breastfeeding may also put your baby at risk.
In particular, you should especially avoid use of black cohosh, alchemilla, chasteberry, and raspberry leaf during pregnancy or breastfeeding.[47][48] Talk to your doctor before taking iron and magnesium supplements, as well.[49]
You may also wish to avoid chasteberry and other hormone-sensitive herbal remedies if you are taking birth control pills or undergoing hormone replacement therapy.[50]
Image titled Use Herbal Remedies for Rosacea Step 3
Take herbal remedies after careful research. "Natural" does not necessarily mean "safe." While the herbal and supplemental treatments recommended for ending heavy menstrual bleeding are typically safe for most women, it's a good idea to do your own research before ingesting any herb since some may aggravate certain medical conditions.
Keep in mind that many herbal solutions only have limited research backing them. While some women may benefit from using these remedies, there's typically little scientific evidence supporting claims of effectiveness, and little research about possible side effects and risks involved.
If you're at a high risk for certain hormone-sensitive conditions, including breast cancer, uterine cancer, or endometriosis, herbal remedies that impact your hormonal balance may further increase your risk. This includes, but is not limited to, black cohosh, chasteberry, and raspberry leaf.
Additionally, black cohosh may present a risk to those with known liver disease or seizure disorders. Alchemilla and chasteberry may also result in possible liver damage,[51] and chasteberry may affect your levels of dopamine.[52]
It is possible to overdose on iron, so you should avoid taking iron supplements in large doses for more than six months. Consult your doctor if you intend to continue use after that time.[53]
Image titled Cope with Endometriosis Symptoms at Home Step 19
Consult your doctor before trying natural remedies. Most natural remedies will be safe for most women who suffer with heavy menstrual bleeding, but your doctor will be able to advise you on which could work best for your specific health needs and which could result in further problems.
Additionally, your doctor should be able to help diagnose the cause of heavy menstrual bleeding. Most causes aren't too serious and will typically respond to natural remedies. In some cases, however, excessive bleeding can be caused by thyroid disease, uterine cancer, fibroids and other serious conditions that require medical intervention.[54]
A diagnosis from your doctor should be able to rule out these serious conditions and ease your concerns. In addition to a physical exam, your doctor may perform blood tests, pap tests, ultrasound scans, and other tests to rule out various disorders and conditions.[55]
Image titled Safely Try a Fasting Diet Step 4
Use natural remedies if they remain effective. Natural remedies can help many women who suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding. If taking natural remedies does not put your health at risk, and if these remedies prove effective for you, you can typically continue taking them; though, occasional consultation with your doctor is still advised.
If natural remedies are not effective for you, consider asking your doctor about medical alternatives. These options may include drug therapy (e.g., oral contraceptives and oral progesterone) or surgery for more serious cases (e.g., uterine artery embolization and hysterectomy).[56]
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Ishilove: 9:15pm On Oct 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Good evening all.

Instead of buying two packs why not buy the twin pack? It's more economical.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by psylliumhusk1: 9:18pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Oyindidi(f): 9:23pm On Oct 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Good evening all.

Whether heavy or not you go still open 2 pads. My own wey be 3 days sef I dey use 2

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 05, 2018
Ishilove:

Use Tranexamic acid 500mg, One or two tabs a day depending on the flow. When the flow reduces stop taking it.

Thank You.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Ishilove: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2018
Oyindidi:
Whether heavy or not you go still open 2 pads. My own wey be 3 days sef I dey use 2
3 days two pads?! shocked

That's heavy. Use Tranxemic acid. It works wonders, and as God will have it I didn't need to use it last month.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by ceeceeuwa: 4:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
Ishilove:

I can attest to the efficacy of this... it was prescribed by my doctor when i was having prolonged spotting which was a result of the side effect of the family planning method I chose. It worked wonders!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Oyindidi(f): 4:48pm On Oct 05, 2018
Ishilove:

3 days two pads?! shocked

That's heavy. Use Tranxemic acid. It works wonders, and as God will have it I didn't need to use it last month.
Na 7 pads na, plus the light for after the heavy flow of like 2 day. I use 1 and half
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Ishilove: 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
ceeceeuwa:

I can attest to the efficacy of this... it was prescribed by my doctor when i was having prolonged spotting which was a result of the side effect of the family planning method I chose. It worked wonders!
It was prescribed to me by google, and i started using it after reading every every about it grin grin
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by ceeceeuwa: 5:37pm On Oct 05, 2018
Ishilove:

It was prescribed to me by google, and i started using it after reading every every about it grin grin
Glad to know it worked for you too! All these feminine palava can be depressing at time cry
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by DEXTROVERT: 6:24pm On Oct 05, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
How's that a solution?

No more menses, heavy or light
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by StarryStarry: 5:10am On Oct 06, 2018
I guess your progesterone is kinda low . Have you done an hormonal Test to know your hormones levels.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Lawrittanneka68(f): 3:42pm On Oct 06, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Good evening all.

Use this product Cal- C- Mag,it will reduce it,if interested whatsap or contact this number: 08038220168

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2018
Lawrittanneka68:
Use this product Cal- C- Mag,it will reduce it,if interested whatsap or contact this number: 08038220168
What concerns calcium with menses?
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by StarryStarry: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2018
[quote author=NwanyiAwkaetiti post=71789183]Good evening all.

I am opened to any solution biko. P.s its not a disease or abnormality o but I just want the stress reduced
.[I had these same issue last year mine was even heavy but I thank God for today .Forheavy menstraul flow is either Heavy growth of fibroid or hormonal imbalance most times hormonal imbalance do cause it because of Low progesterone. That’s my number 08165049656 if you need further information . ]
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 06, 2018
[quote author=StarryStarry post=71846559][/quote]If you have a solution, drop it here. Thanks.
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by StarryStarry: 8:54pm On Oct 06, 2018
I had these same issue last year mine was even heavier I became afraid I had to go through a lot of test , screening etc but I later I found out that my hormones ain’t balance , my progesterone was very low . Most time heavy menstraul flow in a woman might be caused by either heavy growth of fibroid , stress , hormonal imbalance . Once your hormones ain’t balance definitely you will have irregular menses . This my number 08165049656 chat me up for more information.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by StarryStarry: 9:16pm On Oct 06, 2018
[quote author=NwanyiAwkaetiti post=71846664]If you have a solution, drop it here. Thanks.[/yes I have that’s why I said you should chat me up will prescribe herbal supplement for you . ]
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 15, 2018
[quote author=StarryStarry post=71847334][/quote]Thank You
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Lawrittanneka68(f): 5:34pm On Dec 13, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
What concerns calcium with menses?
IT TAKES CARE OF HEAVY FLOW
Re: Help!!! Cure For Heavy Menstrual Flow? by Mizwisdom(f): 6:40pm On Dec 13, 2018
No sugar while on

(1) (Reply)

Garri And The Eyes: The Secret / Miracle Seeds / Stretch Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.