Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,108 members, 7,807,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? (13722 Views)

Islamic Female Names And Their Meanings / Guidelines Concerning Names Which May Correctly Be Attributed To Allaah,.... / Tasleem(Greetings): How To Correctly Give And Respond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Lukgaf(m): 8:34am On Oct 05, 2018
Some times ago where I was brought up, a woman was asking a brother about his friend, do u hear from Booda Idiru? She asked. When I protested the name isn't Idiru but Khidr, the woman didn't lemme talk. She told me the name is not new to her, and even one of her students who happens to be an Alfa's (Scholar) son was registered by the name-Idiru. Omo Alfa (Scholar's son) indeed!

Another case is that of a tailor back home, mummy Stephen. She would ask about my big brother- who by Allaah's blessing was named Abdul Goffaar-here and then. Kafari nko o (Where is Kafari, mummy Abdul Kafari), she would ask our mum that way. These and many other cases are so common in almost all households especially in Yoruba States. The problem is if correct some of them politely, they will call you extremist.

So, what exactly am I saying? we should know as Muslims that Arabic, the language of Qur'an and Hadith, the language from which our names originated is so complex and sensitive that if a letter is wrongly pronounced in a word , it can change entirely the meaning of the word. E.g, is the popular name, the name of our Prophet Ibroheem's wife, Åajaroh (هاجرة)can be changed by merely changing the first letter ها to Ha, حا and guess what, the Ha one,حاجر means stone. funny, isn't it?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Lukgaf(m): 8:37am On Oct 05, 2018
At this junction, it should be noted that many a people makes this mistake because of the following:

1. Ignorance : Those who don't know, and don't ask.

2. stubbornness: Some knows the correct pronunciation but hey, they don't wanna deviate from how their babas called it, ask them if there baba has nairaland account?

3. Arrogance: Some believes perfecting peoples' names is a sign of respecting them. And they cannot come and respect a yesterday's child that was given birth to in their korokoro eyes.

4. Joke: some pronounces Peoples' names wrongly just to make people laugh. SMH. This is very bad.

5. Unnecessary tushing : some due to the fake knowledge they claim to possess Behind a name which eventually makes it wrong. That's is how they will be calling Rizqoot with t. Whereas, Rizqoo don't take letter 't'.

6. Hatred: some just hates the name bearer and wants him to feel foolish.E.g,Sulayman-Sule.
7. Feel free to add yours

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Lukgaf(m): 8:41am On Oct 05, 2018
Finally, brethren, kindly note that each time you're doing any of the above, you may be;

1. Changing the name's meaning completely. As in kafari and Gaffar. Gaffar is he who who forgives, and kafari is he who disbelieves. Toorh, stop calling my brother Abdulkaffar, he is Abdulgaffar

2. You may be making mockery of the name of the righteous predecessors.

3. You may be destroying the confidence people have in telling others their names. That's how a Muslim child will be telling you her name is Abosede. What a name?! Why? Cos her name is Toyyibah and she fears people calling her Tayi. Stop calling Abdazeez, Laisi too.

4. You may be attributing Abdul to other than Allaah. The case of Abdul kafari.

5. You may be incurring Allah's wrath on yourself.

Conclusion

So, brethren, know,bmay Allah perfect your affairs, that Allaah is beautiful and He loves what is beautiful. He wants us to be perfect in all what we do. Also, what is worth doing is worth doing well. So, next time u wanna call that Islamic name again, ask well from the bearer the correct pronunciation. The name's bearer too should know their names correctly. If you don't get it ,practice it. Above all, search for a pristine knowledge about Islam and Arabic Language, I bet you won't have yourself to blame. May Allaah ease our affairs. Aamin

Biko, my name is Faatimah Lukman; don't come and call me one yeye Fatimota Omo Lukuluku o. Lol...

Written by: Faatimah Luqman (Lukfat)

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by WawaIPODJew: 8:51am On Oct 05, 2018
If at all I need to have a child , I don’t want more than one son.
And I will probably name my son Aremu ,Ayinla or the likes . As their first name .

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Speroachbeatz: 10:26am On Oct 05, 2018
Not when it's too long o
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by hadjipapiey(m): 10:33am On Oct 05, 2018
Up there someone talked about the name being too long..

But you can count and pronounce any amount in words o undecided

Think
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by jihday(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2018
This is why i prefer people calling me by my yoruba name, so dey wont spoil my fine islamic name for me
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by AllahSWT: 10:43am On Oct 05, 2018
jihday:
This is why i prefer people calling me by my yoruba name, so dey wont spoil my fine islamic name for me
yeroba Muslim

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by AllahSWT: 10:43am On Oct 05, 2018
you are right bra
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by sanbol(f): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2018
Salaam alaikum please I like you to shade a light on this name
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:02am On Oct 05, 2018
Stop calling Sharifah as Sheri.....Sharri means Evil in Arabic!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Toay(m): 11:27am On Oct 05, 2018
You are absolutely right my brother
Everyone should also ensure that his/her name and those of his/her children and siblings are pronounced correctly
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:28am On Oct 05, 2018
sanbol:
Salaam alaikum please I like you to shade a light on this name my friend son bears dayyan should we address him as dayyanulahi or Mohammed dayyan. MA salaam
Advice your friend on that choice of name! Some names are only for Allah ONLY SO calling a child by the name Daiyaanullah is not appropriate, because Allah is the Dayyaan (Judge), and one of the names of Allah cannot be used in conjunction with His name Allah; this is from a linguistic point of view.

With regard to the meaning, the Dayyaan (Judge) is Allah, so no one deserves to bear this name, let alone add this name to His name Allah by saying “Daiyaanullah”.

With regard to the name Daiyaanullah (ديّان الله), the Dayyaan (Judge) is Allah Himself, may He be exalted. Ahmad (15612) narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Unays said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say: “The people will be gathered on the Day of Resurrection naked, uncircumcised and destitute.” We said: What does destitute mean? He said: “They will not have anything with them. Then it will be called out to them: ‘I am the Sovereign, I am the Judge (Dayyaan). It is not appropriate for any of the people of Hell to enter Hell when he is still owed something by one of the people of Paradise, until I restore his dues. And it is not appropriate for any of the people of Paradise to enter Paradise when he owes something to one of the people of Hell until I restore his dues.”

Classed as hasan by al-Mundhiri in at-Targheeb wa’t-Tarheeb (4/218); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Zilaal al-Jannah (1/266).

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by principalgee: 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
This is so educative, Abdul Lateef -------- Letua!, hmmmm, may Almighty Allah forgive us all. Ameen
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by hajide(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2018
AllahSWT:
yeroba Muslim

you are all over the Islamic thread like MTN, what exactly are you looking for...meanwhile if u are contemplating on converting, u're always welcom...just go straight to d point
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Alhajiemeritus: 11:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Advice your friend on that choice of name! Some names are only for Allah ONLY SO calling a child by the name Daiyaanullah is not appropriate, because Allah is the Dayyaan (Judge), and one of the names of Allah cannot be used in conjunction with His name Allah; this is from a linguistic point of view.

With regard to the meaning, the Dayyaan (Judge) is Allah, so no one deserves to bear this name, let alone add this name to His name Allah by saying “Daiyaanullah”.

With regard to the name Daiyaanullah (ديّان الله), the Dayyaan (Judge) is Allah Himself, may He be exalted. Ahmad (15612) narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Unays said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say: “The people will be gathered on the Day of Resurrection naked, uncircumcised and destitute.” We said: What does destitute mean? He said: “They will not have anything with them. Then it will be called out to them: ‘I am the Sovereign, I am the Judge (Dayyaan). It is not appropriate for any of the people of Hell to enter Hell when he is still owed something by one of the people of Paradise, until I restore his dues. And it is not appropriate for any of the people of Paradise to enter Paradise when he owes something to one of the people of Hell until I restore his dues.”

Classed as hasan by al-Mundhiri in at-Targheeb wa’t-Tarheeb (4/218); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Zilaal al-Jannah (1/266).
Then I think Abdul -Dayyan should be the proper name.
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 3:22am On Oct 13, 2018
There was conclusive verdict on calling muslims by Allah 's Names, like Lateef, Jabbar, Aziz etc. Scholars said there is nothing wrong with it. It is not sinful or Haram. But adding prefix is much more appropriate.

What scholars of Islam condemned or frown upon is calling someone Al-Lateef, Al-Aziz, Al-Jabbar etc. By adding prefix, "Al", you compromised Allah's Attributes.

So whether it is abdulDaiyaanullah or simply Daiyaanullah it's not considered sinful or Haram. But in a typical muslim home, they usually address someone by "abd" which is the most appropriate. So calling someone "Al-Daiyaanullah" is not allowed. But calling someone "Daiyaanullah"be is fair.

Messing up pronunciation of someone's name is abhorrent and disrespectful.
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 13, 2018
Empiree:
There was conclusive verdict on calling muslims by Allah 's Names, like Lateef, Jabbar, Aziz etc. Scholars said there is nothing wrong with it. It is not sinful or Haram. But adding prefix is much more appropriate.

What scholars of Islam condemned or frown upon is calling someone Al-Lateef, Al-Aziz, Al-Jabbar etc. By adding prefix, "Al", you compromised Allah's Attributes.

Pls provide the scholars that differentiate between adding suffix "Al" and the suffix not being there

Allaah called himself these names in some places in the Qur'an without the suffix "al"

Example in suratu nuh:

فقلت استغفروا ربكم إنه كان غفّارا

Gaffaar came in without suffix "al"

So whether it is abdulDaiyaanullah or simply Daiyaanullah it's not considered sinful or Haram. But in a typical muslim home, they usually address someone by "abd" which is the most appropriate. So calling someone "Al-Daiyaanullah" is not allowed. But calling someone "Daiyaanullah"be is fair.

Pls don't speak in issues you don't know anything about, I mean what's the meaning of this?

The truth is names that only Allaah is entitled to them, you must call those names with abd if calling a creation of Allaah, like Rahmaan, Rahmaan means the one who is merciful to everyone in this world without exception, kafir or Muslim, this why they can also be rich and attain goodness in this life, who else can be this merciful except Allaah? So you must call his servants " Abdur-rahmaan" you can't call him Rahmaan suffix or not, another name specific to only Allaah "khaaliq" only Allaah is the creator, the one who creates from nothing, so calling another by it leads to shirk.

There are names Allaah bears which is not specific to only Allaah, like samee', Allaah hears, humans also hear, so calling a creation "As-samee'" is allowed suffix or not, same as "baseer" Allaah sees and humans also see, so his creation can be called "al-baseer" suffix or not.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 12:06pm On Oct 13, 2018
So you mean in Yorubaland where we call someone Rahman, Azeez, Lateef, fatai, Jabbar etc, without abd we have been committing SHIRK all these decades. Is that what you are saying?.

If this is what you are saying, kindly provide conclusive scholars opinion where they said calling someone Lateef, Rahman without abd is shirk. I will like to know that because you are saying many of us committed shirk

There is no difference between calling someone Rahman and calling someone Hakeem, Aziz etc

Now, I didn't say that's the best position. I said in a typical muslim household, they called people by abdrahman, abdjabbar, abdwaqil etc but it is common in Yorubland to call people Rahman etc without adding abd. But you are saying it is shirk to refer to someone as Rahman but it is not shirk to refer to someone as Malik. This is gotta be the most confusing notion.

I was gonna agree with Islamqa until I read further where they said it is not permmisibile to call human being Rahman (merciful) but it is permitted to call someone Malik(Sovereign). But both are Allah's Majestic Names.

What we were taught was that you can call creation Rahman but you can't call creation Ar-Rahman. You can call creation Malik but you can not call creation Al-Malik etc but islanqa really got me confused.

It means their manhaj is different.

See @bold, there is no argument on adding abd or not. What I'm saying is you should provide proof that calling someone Gaffar, Aziz for in stance is shirk
AbdelKabir:

Pls provide the scholars that differentiate between adding suffix "Al" and the suffix not being there

Allaah called himself these names in some places in the Qur'an without the suffix "al"

Example in suratu nuh:

Pls don't speak in issues you don't know anything about, I mean what's the meaning of this?

The truth is names that only Allaah is entitled to them, you must call those names with abd if calling a creation of Allaah, like Rahmaan, Rahmaan means the one who is merciful to everyone in this world without exception, kafir or Muslim, this why they can also be rich and attain goodness in this life, who else can be this merciful except Allaah? So you must call his servants " Abdur-rahmaan" you can't call him Rahmaan suffix or not, another name specific to only Allaah "khaaliq" only Allaah is the creator, the one who creates from nothing, so calling another by it leads to shirk.

There are names Allaah bears which is not specific to only Allaah, like samee', Allaah hears, humans also hear, so calling a creation "As-samee'" is allowed suffix or not, same as "baseer" Allaah sees and humans also see, so his creation can be called "al-baseer" suffix or not.
below are attachments from Islamqa. You may not see their confusion but I see it.

Let me repeat that there is no difference between Rahman, Aziz, Gaffar, Hakeem, Lateef, Basit, etc. You can call creation by these names as it is but you can't call creation Ar-Rahman, Al-Aziz, Al-Malik, Al-Jabbar etc

But Islamqa said you can call creation al-hakeem, Al-Aziz, Al-Malik etc but you can't call creation Ar-Rahman. Abeg, what's the difference?.

They are very wrong to say you can call creation @bold by adding Al
AbdelKabir:

Example in suratu nuh:

let me repeat there is no difference calling creation Rahman, Aziz, Lateef, Gaffar, Hakeem, Malik etc these are allowed.
Islamqa said you can not call creation Ar-Rahman(The most Merciful) but you can call creation Al-Malik (The Sovereign) Abeg, what's the difference?. You may not see their confusion but I see.
They also said you can call creation al-hakeem, Al-Aziz, Al-Lateef etc. This is wrong. This is not what we were taught. You can't call creation by adding "Al". So I'm sorry, I see confusion in their writings. We are not doing shirk when we call creation Rahman, Malik Aziz, Basit, Gaffar etc but it is wrong to call creation by these names when you add "Al".

This is very clear. Your position is confusing. But the best is always to call creation abd- Rahman, abdaziz, abd Malik etc

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 12:29pm On Oct 13, 2018
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 13, 2018
Honestly you have to stop this Sufism and gain real knowledge! I mean, you couldn't understand a few lines I have written?

I explained that Rahmaan is a name only Allaah is entitled to, and I gave you reason why only Allaah is entitled to it, but you still staunchly say – even though you know you wrong – the suffix is what makes it wrong coupled with the fact that we have many places in the Qur'an Allaah called himself these names without the suffix "Al", debunking the nonsense that what is frowned against is adding the suffix.

If you say it is wrong because of "Al" then what will you say about the hadeeth where the prophet said "Al-kareem the son of Al-kareem the son of Al-kareem the son of Al-kareem is Yusuf son of ya'qub son of ishaaq son of Ibrahim alayhimus salaam"?

The prophet added " Al" and don't forget "Kareem" is one of Allaah's name.

You can't understand something this simple, rather you say some people are confused because they say you can call someone Al-maalik and not call someone ar-rahman..

I told you the principle, a name in which only Allaah is entitled to the meaning the name carries you don't call another person suffix or not, if you do, it leads to shirk, when I say it leads to shirk I've not outrightly called the culprit a mushrik, I said it leads to shirk, it is actually shirk when you call the name with the belief that the person actually deserves that name just as how Allaah deserves the name.

If the name is a name that another can bear and have the characteristics the name points toike as-samee' the one who hears, or Al-maalik the one who owns, then this is OK suffix or not.

So if you are still confused it means you need to study and stop trying to blame others as being confused for your own confusion.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 5:07pm On Oct 13, 2018
What's Sufism has to do with this?. You have ulterior motives or what?. You never get over that?

I'm gonna stop arguing on this. At no point did I say it is okay to call someone Al-malik as you alleged. I have never heard anyone called by Al-malik. What I hear all the time is simply Malik.

Well, maybe it is your school of Law that came up with this analysis. What we were taught was that only Allah is exclusive to God and no creation should be called Allah without adding "abd". And also "Rob" (Lord). These are exclusive to Allah alone. All these explainations you and them gave are controversial and complex.

As said before, it is always best to call creation abd-rahman, abd-aziz, abd-hakeem, abd-Jabar.

Interestingly, I checked on other madhab and they said this (attached). Therefore, I would have to agree with you. But then, take a look at the end attachment, that's my point all along. That's exactly what we were taught. If it was forbidden, they wouldn't have allowed us to call people by "rahman" since it is not accompanied by anything that suggest Allah:s Attribute to oneself. In Yorubaland, they never for ones attached anything along Rahman. They simply say "ramoni" even though they messed up the name.

Allow me to quote it out in case it is too tin to see.

"Hence, it is impermissible to call a person with the name "Rahmaan" because this name is peculiar to Allaah, The Exalted. It should be noted, though, that calling or naming someone with the names that are peculiar to Allaah is not shirk in principle unless it is accompanied by a statement, action, or belief that comprises shirk on part of the doer."

^^^

That's the point I'm trying to tell you

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 6:53am On Oct 14, 2018
Interestingly, this Ayah addresses the prophet as "Rahman" without prefix which indicates creation may be call "rahman" as long as it is not accompanied by anything exclusive to Allah

#myopinion

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 14, 2018
Empiree:
Interestingly, this Ayah addresses the prophet as "Rahman" without prefix which indicates creation may be call "rahman" as long as it is not accompanied by anything exclusive to Allah

#myopinion

Do you have eyes? Is there no difference between رحمة "rahmah" and رحمان "rahmaan"?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 7:34am On Oct 14, 2018
AbdelKabir:

Do you have eyes? Is there no difference between رحمة "rahmah" and رحمان "rahmaan"?
Does "fathatain" changes intended meaning of Rahman in the Ayah?
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 14, 2018
Empiree:
Does "fathatain" changes intended meaning of Rahman in the Ayah?

Rahmaan is different from rahmah, rahmah is the مصدر masdar for rahima رَحِمَ، we have it like this رحم يرحم رحمة

While رحمان is someone filled with رحمة(mercy) just as how غضبان means one filled with غضب(anger) and جوعان means someone filled with جوع(hunger)

You can see the patterns are all the same...

رحمة is a صفة (attribute)

While رحمان is the one who has that صفة ....

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 4:54am On Oct 15, 2018
Yoruba muslims and Christians must take note of this fake king, especially muslims. Islam has nothing to do with Yoruba religion.

If sheikh Adam Abdullah Al-ilory (ra) here today, he would have refuted his nonesense. Sheikh Habeeb Al-ilory should respond to this trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFuRQhb48k

Read video discriptions
Re: Why You Should Call People's Names Correctly? by Empiree: 11:41am On Oct 15, 2018
Refutation Of King Adeyeye Enitan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TjtkUhxK8

(1) (Reply)

EID Celebration Around The World: (picx) / Firdaus Amasa: A Word Is Enough For The Hijab Haters / Is The One Who Dies Of The Coronavirus Disease A Martyr?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.