Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,442 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? (8483 Views)

Who Want To Be A Millionaire? A Thread For Scholars / New Benefits For Scholars In The Room / Ghana Development Fund Award For Scholars To Study At Coventry University In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by ProsperChild: 5:01am On Oct 06, 2018
Cramming is a widely used study skill performed in preparation for an examination or other performance-based assessment. Most common among high school and college-aged students, cramming is often used as a means of memorizing large amounts of information in a short amount of time.
Buh to some, this approach is bad as sometimes this technique can lead to physomotor failure, an thence leading to unexpected information delivery.
Let me know your take about this.
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by jbreezy: 7:20am On Oct 06, 2018
Yu sey weytin? For diz naija wey we dey? Is either yu sabi cram or beta mark no go find yur way...m a scholar, and i cram well...not everytime tho...but it is severally needed...yu can’t understand all you are bin taught in class

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by buygala(m): 7:20am On Oct 06, 2018
Mostly Cramming got me through the University

Mostly understanding the concepts got me through the Nigerian Law School

Different situations, Different weapons smiley

And no...

My Brain never suffers failure of any kind when cramming....i have crammed a 96 page note before and I didn't run mad...those who attended the Nigerian Law School post 2014 will know Adaeze Umeze lecture notes...i crammed the one for Property Law under 2 days

And no....i sure don't consider myself the brightest lawyer, but I sure am not the daftest one

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Lincoln275(m): 7:20am On Oct 06, 2018
no

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Jaysleeves(m): 7:21am On Oct 06, 2018
Thats a Bad habbit
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by hakeem4(m): 7:21am On Oct 06, 2018
No!!! cramming is a very bad habit. you go to school to learn and understand basic principles. but if you cram your way through school you would not understand these principles. i am sure close to 90% of people can't apply basic calculus (dy/dx) to solve real life problem.

8 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Deji63: 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
It is never effective. Self research is the best for scholars. After they have been taught in class they should be encouraged to go do some research on their own to understand what they have learnt in a deeper way.

3 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Tchiman(m): 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
Cramming ain't good at the long run

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by mikaj(m): 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
The right question should be “ARE CRAMMERS INTELLIGENT PEOPLE”

2 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by MrWondah(m): 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
Depending on the field. If na anything arts, just forget, you go cram taya, biology? No even try am.
For mathematics and other fields that requires calculation you fit cram.

But as you dey cram, remember your village people be like

7 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by ednut1(m): 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
90% of nigerian first class are crammers. Zero understanding grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by slawomir: 7:22am On Oct 06, 2018
isoright
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by whytediamond(m): 7:23am On Oct 06, 2018
See bookers association, may you guys live long.

Back to the topic :
Reading to understand, to me is priority.

In Nigerian Universities where most lecturers would prefer you quote them verbatim because they can't even reason properly, cramming becomes the only option to pass a course.

Practical and graphic illustrations will help you put words together with a better understanding during exams, only few schools still carry out standard lectures in our Nigerian Higher Institutions.

There must be a change of mindset first.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by ProsperOkec: 7:25am On Oct 06, 2018
ProsperChild:
Cramming is a widely used study skill performed in preparation for an examination or other performance-based assessment. Most common among high school and college-aged students, cramming is often used as a means of memorizing large amounts of information in a short amount of time.
Buh to some, this approach is bad as sometimes this technique can lead to physomotor failure, an thence leading to unexpected information delivery.
Let me know your take about this.

is good for law students

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by qanda: 7:27am On Oct 06, 2018
In a society that is obsessed about grades, cramming to get a good grade may not be out of place. Scholars and every knowledge seeker must endeavour to KNOW. That's exactly what I do, give the lecturers what they want and still ensure I understand their subject in my own way.
Note: You can download valuable Career, Educational, Business and Entrepreneurial resources for FREE on Q and A App. Download Q and A App on Google Playstore
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Xerum(m): 7:28am On Oct 06, 2018
Nope. Cramming is not effective for scholars. The idea of learning is to understand & digest the substance of what is being taught & be able to express / explain in yr own words. Or take it to the next level using your knowledge / imagination. Cramming does not help this process, further, there is a limit to the amount of info / data that can be crammed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 06, 2018
Cramming the only too that has helped millions of graduates scale through educational tussle with or without good grades. Same tool has made many graduates unemployable myself inclusive

13 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by DMerciful(m): 7:30am On Oct 06, 2018
Most of what we study in school will not be used in the workplace so why get poor grades trying to read it? Cram the ones that you are not interested in and pour out during the exams to get very good grades. Talk to some 1st class and very good second class upper, they are not very smart upstairs but they have the advantage of being called for jobs due to better results occasioned by cramming. Besides the course are too many so I endorse some appreciable level of cramming.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Rigel95(m): 7:35am On Oct 06, 2018
To pass? or to know it ?
I got As in courses that I barely remember their contents anymore.

10 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by duken: 7:41am On Oct 06, 2018
[quote author=ProsperOkec post=71825272]

is good for law students

But I never crammed all through my training as a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Jman06(m): 7:44am On Oct 06, 2018
I don't cram! I prefer to understand the topic. Even if I'll score a B or C, let me first understand the concepts.

A major problem we have in our education system is this issue of paying too much attention to passing exams as against understanding what we are studying. That is why many students employ different strategies (including cramming) just to pass exams, and once exam is done and dusted, they forget everything. That is why somebody would have 1s class without knowing anything.

4 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by kidman96(m): 7:46am On Oct 06, 2018
embarassed
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by solaTheCoder: 7:47am On Oct 06, 2018
Hg
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 06, 2018
All the so called scholars do is cram dead people's ideas and regurgitate them
Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by femi4: 7:48am On Oct 06, 2018
A day to exam, you are reading and you didn't understand. Your lecturer and colleagues couldn't explain it better to you.....boy, you just have to cram to pass the course.

After the exam, you can go back to the library or check internet to read and understand that particular topic/course

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by KENFERDYOORI(m): 7:51am On Oct 06, 2018
Cramming mayn't be the best. It doesn't work for me. I believe more in studying with formulas and making use of imagination.
However, stick to what works for you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Brunosamel(m): 8:00am On Oct 06, 2018
I stopped cramming in my SS 2, even in my university years I never crammed ever since then I didn't regret stopping it, all thanks to my teachers in School... The effective way i use to read is to understand deeply break the content down and sum it up.... Crammers are prone to forgetting what they read once they pour it out....

3 Likes

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:01am On Oct 06, 2018
Till today, I don't know to cram. To show how bad I am at cramming, I can't cram a single page in my note. I read to understand,I like to put things down in my own words.

1 Like

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by anthonyabidemi: 8:01am On Oct 06, 2018
We call it memorization not cramming. If you internalize what you memorize it becomes part of you. It is quite integral part of learning in Sciences, Engineering, Medicine and even Humanities.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Cramming Effective For Scholars? by Adesanmi200: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2018
cramming is very effective like ...... in this kind of country we are, in this kind of university we are in to, that the syllabus may not be change for like ten(10) sessions , I guess the best is to cram the previous ones and get your good grade lobatan

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015/2016 Jamb Medical Aspirants / Nigerian Defence Academy Screening Test Holds 8 June 2019 / Closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.