Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,921 members, 7,802,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? (341 Views)

I Committed A Sexual Sin. And I'm Too Scared And Ashamed To Pray. Please Advice. / Why Are Muslims Ashamed Of How Muhammad Died? / Is Baldness Something To Be Ashamed Of? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by samuelson06(m): 1:23am On Oct 07, 2018
I read something yesterday where a guy commented that he's ashamed of being a Christian due to a picture someone uploaded on social media and especially because the people in the picture are Christians.

I think that was a stuppid thing to say. Now I ask, should it be because a member of your religious denomination or someone who shares the same faith with you dresses indecently or does something bad so you should be ashamed of sharing the same faith or religion with them? Well, one thing we must understand as Christians is that Christianity has to do with our relationship with God as individuals. Even couples still maintain their spiritual individuality. It has nothing to do with what the other person say or do whether you share the same religion with them or not. In simple terms, Christianity is about what you do with your God and not what I do with my God. Take note here that your God may not be my God even though we share the same faith. For some of us, our god is our pastor, a witch-doctor or a stone somewhere yet we all parade ourselves as Christians.

One of the greatest mistakes we make is allowing our personal relationship with God to be negatively affected as a result of what someone else who happens to share the same faith with us has done or say. We always allow our relationship with God to be strengthened or weakened due to what someone else or minister of God somewhere might have done. That's totally wrong. It shouldn't be. It invariably means if they fall, you will also fall. If they stop being a Christian, you would also switch faith. That's not being a Christian; that's religion - following the bandwagon.

Your faith or relationship with God should be based on your personal convictions of who God is to you and why you have chosen and will keep walking side by side with Him. It shouldn't be shaken as a result of what someone else does. Don't ever think that our knowledge about the things of God are the same. Many are still struggling with the elementaries of God - they don't understand and hence, walks in ignorance. You don't have to get unnecessarily emotional as a result. Instead, correct them with love. Where you can't correct them as it should be, leave them alone. Remain quiet. Don't try to criticize people in public and walk away. Soon, you might fall. There and then, you'll realize that no one is out of touch of the devil.

Learn to live a quiet life. Focus on yourself if you don't have a way you can correct people without insulting or seeing them as wrongdoers. Remember, the first to start is not always the first to finish. People you may see as bad guys out there can reconcile their account with God just before their death and end up in heaven while you who claims to lead a righteous life can end up in hell at death. Don't forget in a hurry the story of the criminal condemned to death alongsideJesus. Life is a mystery and God has made it that way so that no man can boast in himself.

Have a blessed Sunday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by bedspread: 1:40am On Oct 07, 2018
It's Foolishness for anyone to utter that!

Heaven is a Personal Race!
Hell is Personal Race!

Everyone of us will Personally Render our Account to GOD..

No Matter the Love you have for your wife or kid, you cannot answer for them..

Even if your Father is Bishop or Chief imam, in the other side it's all Man for Himself/Herself..

No Lawyer, No Defence Team...

That's why Apostle Paarl Says;
Work out your Salvation with Fear and Trembling...

GOD ALMIGHTY Grant Us Understanding In JESUS NAME
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by Zither(m): 6:57am On Oct 07, 2018
It is like saying,

"I am ashamed of being a father because some fathers
have being caught sexually abusing their daughters"

"I am ashamed of being a doctor because many doctors
have been known to sleep with their married patients"

Question is why aren't they ashamed of being humans since humans commit atrocities daily? Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Pilot, Nurse, Doctor, Architect, Psychologist, Soldier, Teacher, Prostitute, Accountant, Linguist, Pastor, Imam, Mechanic, Husband, Wife, Daughter, Son, Politician, Trader, Lecturer, Lawyer, Artist, Artiste, Scriptwriter, Producer, Student, Athlete, Engineer, Dancer and insert yours ______________.

Is there anyone among the above who is better than the other?

A person who says he is ashamed of being called a Christian should also wallow in shame for such a comment. If we were perfect then Jesus would not have come to die for us. Jesus said, "Follow Me," "Abide in Me," "Obey My commands."
When did it read, "Follow Christians," "Abide in Christians," "Obey the commands of Christians?"

Some peeps are just teething Christians who think they can eat meat
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by izzou(m): 7:02am On Oct 07, 2018
grin

But I'm ashamed of being a Nigerian because of the few who rape, kill, push drugs, terrorize and are corrupt.
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by JeromeBlack: 7:03am On Oct 07, 2018
The guy has every right to be ashamed of being a christian.

Every other day, one pastor or one church is committing disgusting atrocities.

The very bible that christians rely on has been edited and manipulated into a brainwashing text by pastors. They focus on any bible passage that gives pastors more power and opportunity to milk and control the church members.

Christianity is a sham.
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2018
Samuelson06,
I totally understand what you are saying. The guy shouldn't have said "ashamed". He probably was very embarrassed and just frustrated about how corrupted Christianity has become.
Yes, there are tons of problems (regarding misinterpretation of scripture, pride, lack of true conversion et.,) within Christianity. I've personally read so many shocking, interesting and totally saddening things right here on NL. Stuff I've never seen or even heard about in my entire life, although there are some strange doctrines also in the U.S.
However, that won't make me leave the faith one bit. I can't discard an entire faith because there are some corrupt forces within.
Christianity should first be centered around a relationship with Christ. When that relationship with Him is correct, all sorts of things can be thrown at a person and he/she can still stand steadfast....
The problem (which I've said a million times over) is that our hearts are unclean.
David (one of the most written and discussed biblical figures in the Bible and whom I am so inspired and encouraged by next to Christ) said it best:
Psalm 51:10 (KJV)
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

He understood the essence of those of us who claim Christianity. Everything starts and ends with the heart.
If that heart isn't right with Christ, then all that we do is of none effect.
Good post...
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On Feb 14
samuelson06:
■ I read something yesterday where a guy commented that he's ashamed of being a Christian due to a picture someone uploaded on social media and especially because the people in the picture are Christians.
I think that was a stuppid thing to say. Now I ask, should it be because a member of your religious denomination or someone who shares the same faith with you dresses indecently or does something bad so you should be ashamed of sharing the same faith or religion with them? Well, one thing we must understand as Christians is that Christianity has to do with our relationship with God as individuals. Even couples still maintain their spiritual individuality. It has nothing to do with what the other person say or do whether you share the same religion with them or not. In simple terms, Christianity is about what you do with your God and not what I do with my God. Take note here that your God may not be my God even though we share the same faith. For some of us, our god is our pastor, a witch-doctor or a stone somewhere yet we all parade ourselves as Christians.
If religion is what you desire then you have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ who instead disavowed religion of the religious leaders of even his time. (Jesus Christ decried the doctrines and traditions on which their religions were founded as lies that were against God and Him.) So, those who choose religion are ashamed of Jesus Christ because simply asserting religious ideas over that which is Jesus Christ means one has no trust or love for Jesus Christ and His Truth. undecided
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by samuelson06(m): 12:31am On Feb 15
Kobojunkie:
If religion is what you desire then you have absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ who instead disavowed religion of the religious leaders of even his time. (Jesus Christ decried the doctrines and traditions on which their religions were founded as lies that were against God and Him.) So, those who choose religion are ashamed of Jesus Christ because simply asserting religious ideas over that which is Jesus Christ means one has no trust or love for Jesus Christ and His Truth. undecided

I hope you are not against my comment because I did not glorify religion in any way. Instead, I pushed for and I'm still pushing for having a personal relationship with God. I don't do religion, but as much as I can, I try to finetune my relationship w/ my God. However, how I approach my relationship w/ God seems to align w/ Christianity and that's fine. But in heaven, there's nothing about Christianity or Muslim, but about whom God says is His own.
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Feb 15
samuelson06:
■ I hope you are not against my comment because I did not glorify religion in any way. Instead, I pushed for and I'm still pushing for having a personal relationship with God. I don't do religion, but as much as I can, I try to finetune my relationship w/ my God. However, how I approach my relationship w/ God seems to align w/ Christianity and that's fine. But in heaven, there's nothing about Christianity or Muslim, but about whom God says is His own.
Jesus Christ said religions — including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam— are antichrist. If your belief aligns with a religion it means you are against Jesus Christ. undecided

Being ashamed of Jesus Christ means you associate His name with ideas that are against Him and not that which He did in fact teach. That is what it means to be ashamed of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:49pm On Feb 15
Christ came because of SINNERS and he was never ashamed of them ever trusting in them that they can make the needed changes with God's help, that's why critics of his time labelled Jesus "Friend of sinners" Luke 7:34
So if anyone is ashamed of sinners he or she doesn't worth being a Christian! smiley
Re: Ashamed Of Being A Christian Due To The Wrongs Of Others? by MightySparrow: 5:39pm On Feb 15
MaxInDHouse:
Christ came because of SINNERS and he was never ashamed of them ever trusting in them that they can make the needed changes with God's help, that's why critics of his time labelled Jesus "Friend of sinners" Luke 7:34
So if anyone is ashamed of sinners he or she doesn't worth being a Christian! smiley

Correct. In a big house, there are bound to be wayward ones. The OP should be ashamed of being a human being because of the stupidity of some. I am not affected by the mad people around me. I run my own race within the lines.

(1) (Reply)

What Asia Bibi's Acquittal Says About Islam / Woman Dies After Crashing Truck While Fleeing "Demons"!!! / Atheism Is Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.