Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) (59897 Views)

Iyana Iba Interchange & Flyover Bridge, Badagry Expressway, Lagos (Pictures) / One-Way Driver Kills Pedestrian In Lagos (Pictures) / Bent Truck Spotted In Motion In Lagos: Pictures & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:
I'm proud of my country.

grin
Yea, I like the place. I have visited a couple of their beaches too, including the popular Obama Beach. I used to lodge in one hotel built on the sea called Hotel Du Lac. I love festival Des Glases where I do relish the western delicacies too. It's such a modest town.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by purem(m): 10:07am On Oct 08, 2018
Rubbish! Lagos is far more developed and well socialize than this bush
OP is not making any sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Funkybabee(f): 10:09am On Oct 08, 2018
Please how much is their university fees because a junior sister friend just gain an admission to one of their fees while saying it's expensive!! Though medical line
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by 1johnjohn(m): 10:09am On Oct 08, 2018
What was ur budget?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Hector09(m): 10:09am On Oct 08, 2018
Forget abt the oil when it comes to development we are nt even in top 5 in africa, i cried when i visited seychell, sychell is one of the beautiful irelands

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 10:10am On Oct 08, 2018
Open, I think the lowest is 10 francs or 5 sef, not 50
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by AgentGoat: 10:10am On Oct 08, 2018
Funkybabee:
Please how much is their university fees because a junior sister friend just gain an admission to one of their fees while saying it's expensive!! Though medical line
medical courses will always be expensive.

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by talk2hb1(m): 10:11am On Oct 08, 2018
I have a friend going to cotounu today to school.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 10:11am On Oct 08, 2018
Funkybabee:

They are usually expensive oh, Medicine is the most expensive, I remember my days in school there, medicine students paid as high as 700k naira for fees

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 10:13am On Oct 08, 2018
awelekiti:
Yea, I like the place. I have visited a couple of their beaches too, including the popular Obama Beach. I used to lodge in one hotel built on the sea called Hotel Du Lac. I love festival Des Glases where I do relish the western delicacies too. It's such a modest town.

Lol, hotel du lac is like the most popular hotel there, and Obama beach is like the biggest and most beautiful beach there too
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Wetlink: 10:14am On Oct 08, 2018
Thank you OP for sharing your observations
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Rubyventures: 10:16am On Oct 08, 2018
purem:

There is no where in the write up that the OP mentioned it was more developed than Lagos. Lagos may be more developed but its a mad house compared to this place.

7 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by ozoneymcm: 10:21am On Oct 08, 2018
passionstores:
Nothing here, and what is so Unbelievable?

It is unbelievable that bike riders everywhere ride with sanity with helmets

3 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Funkybabee(f): 10:24am On Oct 08, 2018
Jemi7:

They are usually expensive oh, Medicine is the most expensive, I remember my days in school there, medicine students paid as high as 700k naira for fees

Oh ok do u know range of nursing fees
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by metroid(m): 10:24am On Oct 08, 2018
i remember the last time i was in Cotonou there is an alarm clock that sounds by 5 am daily to wake its citizens
Bike is their Assurance to catch fine girl in Cotonou grin
food is cheap in Cotonou
The most modest country in west Africa
Lebanese are the owners of big businesses in Cotonou
Bikes have their own lane in some busy streets
major roads are wide and tarred
i saw coin operated photo booths in some street corners
Black market petrol is more popular than regular filling station

9 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by poseidon12: 10:25am On Oct 08, 2018
purem:

Lagos is mostly slum.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Empredboy(m): 10:27am On Oct 08, 2018
planetx:
Tell us about the electricity, and why do the streets not have gutters how do they deal with the run off from rain.
they build sock away in their homes and link to the pipes from kitchen and bathroom while when it rains the soil swallows the water immediately because of the way the Tay their road

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by GodIsFoolish: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:
I'm proud of my country.

grin

So you're from Cotonu and claiming Lagosian?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2018
Funkybabee:

Oh ok do u know range of nursing fees

No I don't

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Investorsci: 10:31am On Oct 08, 2018
Who is coming with me
Am migrating to Cotonou

Tired of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Idboyostic(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2018
Was in Cotonou last month for vacation and I can tell you I enjoyed my two weeks there.....the environment is serene but not too groovy when compared to Lagos but it surely have her own fun life.

Stayed in two different hotels......one adjacent to the Oba’s palace and one opposite houdegbe North American University.

Light is 24/7 and you barely see the bulbs ON unlike Lagos everywhere you go.....you see bulbs!

The Nigeria food to me is not just it, did not get to taste their local food though. Houses are cheap and most of the houses are empty.....I believe most of them left for greener pastures.....Most Houses are Mansion and duplex.....I begin wonder, did not get to see bungalow till I left.

They speak French, both hotel welcomed me with French and it was even there I know you can still say BONJOUR in the afternoon......I understand and can speak French a little....so it wasn’t a problem for me....couple with my dialect....that they understood also. Few of them speaks English

It was fun for me.....and my two weeks wasn’t wasted.....Thanks to My Houdegbe People

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by jeffobodo1111: 10:35am On Oct 08, 2018
How much is olosho over there?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Investorsci: 10:36am On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:
I'm proud of my country.

grin

Pls chat me whatapp
I need to ask some questions

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OlaAshawo: 10:43am On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:

You've been noticed "DEAR".
Thank You.
i want to have sex with you kiss
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Bhol28: 10:44am On Oct 08, 2018
So the CFA is almost catching up with naira,the first and last time I went,almost like 20years ago,1naira was almost like 10 CFA .Hope things like quality clothes are still cheap there sha.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Countersam(m): 10:45am On Oct 08, 2018
OBALORLA:

Benin Republic (Originally ruled by the kingdom of Dahomey) through a treaty signed by Glele during his rule in May 19, 1868 was ceded to France before the French Navy occupied the city in 1883 to prevent the British from conquering the area.

58 years after gaining independence, a lot of things have obviously changed as Benin republic has had to undergo rapid phases of development largely due to the invasion by the French.

I paid a very close attention to the City of Cotonou during my weekend getaway and did a mental comparison between its fascinating peculiarities and that of Lagos- Nigeria’s most popular city.

Here are 10 Unbelievable ways Cotonou is different from Lagos.

Transport
1. Bikes (popularly called Taxi-Moto) is the most popular means of transportation in Cotonou. Though there are private cars, tricycles, buses and taxis, but the volume of Taxi-motos far outnumbers them.

A typical Taxi-moto parked beside a typical public bus in Benin republic.

2. The official uniform for bikers is either green or yellow. This contributed immensely to the appeal it brought to the highways in general. And more ladies ride bikes compared to Lagos. Though I didn’t encounter any commercial female biker, I saw tons of ladies ride bikes comfortably and as good as their male counterparts.

3. The use of helmets is common. In Lagos, riders use helmets to evade arrest and pull it off once they away from traffic authorities, but in Cotonou, bike riders seemed to know the importance of using helmets every time they are on the road.

4. The number plate of vehicles and motorcycles in Cotonou have just 6 characters, making it very appealing and easier to memorize. Compared to that of Lagos with as much as 8 characters.

Currency
5. The CFA is the standard monetary unit in Benin republic. This colourful bank notes and coins Popularly pronounced as ‘sefar’ are weaker to the Naira at the rate of 1.50 CFA to 1 Naira.

6. Coins are still very much in use and the highest denomination of coins is 500 CFA and the lowest coin being 50 CFA. 20,000 CFA is the highest bank-note in Benin Republic.

7. Unlike what is a major practice in tons of countries around the world, There are no images of any national hero on any of the currencies in Benin Republic. This I suspect is due to the fact that the CFA is jointly spent by 14 countries formerly ruled by the French.

Language
8. The official language is french Fon, Egun and Yoruba are popular indigenous languages used in Cotonou. It was a bitter-sweet experience for me to cope with buying things and asking for directions as a large fraction of the people speak French.

Housing
9. If you’ve been used to the 1 minimum year down-payment style of house letting in Lagos (a style I think adds to the accommodation problems in the city), it’s kind of different in Cotonou as landlords popularly let houses for as short as 1 month like what’s obtainable in Europe. Most of these houses too are already furnished, needing you to only bring in few personal belongings.

10. Almost all the buildings in Cotonou are roofless (let me put it at 9 out of every 10), unlike in Nigeria where roofing is popular. Most houses use these roofless tops creatively for stuffs like gym, mini swimming pools, laundry lines etc.

11. In Cotonou, you’d get taxed if you paint your building. Everyone is advised to use tiles instead. So stop wondering why the best tilers in west Africa are from Benin. This is kind of funny but it’s true.

Environment
12. Compared to Lagos, the streets are generally wider and mostly untarred. hardly will you also find streets with Gutters.

A typical Street in Benin Republic

13. The electric socket in Benin Repubic according to world standards is of the type C / E which is of 220V, 50 Hz compared to that of Nigeria which is type C / E of 230V, 50 Hz. I had to spend 200 CFA in getting a multi socket plug to enable me use my laptop.

Costs 200 CFA

14. There’s as many churches as there are mosques and shrines. The funny thing is that there is s huge catholic church right in front of the popular Snake Temple in Ouidah.

15. Pubs and strip clubs are almost available in every corner. I was at one of the clubs on my first night and unlike the shanawole and casket lifestyle of the Lagos club houses, things are far more calm and serene in Cotounou. I wasn’t too surprised when more than half of the songs played are from Nigeria, same thing in Accra.

16. Ankara is the official wear. there’s no such thing as preserving it till Fridays and Owambes.

Economy
17. It’s obvious the country isn’t rich but have managed to remain modest.

18. The most popular bank is Bank of Africa while The most popular mobile telecommunication network is Moove, closely followed by MTN and far behind is Glo.

A zoom sim card I bought for 1,000 CFA,. That’s approximately N650

19. Suya sellers are neater, but might need to ask for tasting before you’re being spared a slice. and instead of newspapers, thick brown papers are used instead.

20. popular street foods include:

Acheke: A combo of cassava grains, Fish, vegetable and beans.

Costs 300 CFA per plate. That’s like N200

Adepe: smoked tiny snails
Baguette: the most popular of them is a long bread without sugar you must have seen in some parts of Lagos.

Did you find this insightful or interesting? Please I’d love to read your opinion through the comment box below.

Source: https://nomadicnegro.com/facts-about-benin-republic/

OP you try wela if you only stayed for a short while.. i concur with all you have said cause i know this place, i grew up there and still do business there. You forgot to mention the power/light situation... such a shame to compare with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by HealthDragon: 10:50am On Oct 08, 2018
wink
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Cantonese: 10:59am On Oct 08, 2018
You forgot to mention electricity which runs 24/7 and guaranteed pipe borne water 24/7. They are metered and widely accepted. We have a long way to go in this country because of corruption.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Oluwo1: 11:02am On Oct 08, 2018
Bacteriologist:
Isn't it just sad that even Benin republic is almost at par with the self acclaimed Giant of Africa. Most of those qualities listed shows how fast we have backpedalled as a nation.

My Nigeria.

Nothing like Giant of Africa anymore, that nation is now called most populous black nation or most populous nation in Africa

3 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OhiOfIhima: 11:03am On Oct 08, 2018
jeffobodo1111:
How much is olosho over there?

Omo... Olosho go kee u oo if u no draw back.. cheesy
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Bacteriologist(m): 11:07am On Oct 08, 2018
Oluwo1:

Nothing like Giant of Africa anymore, that nation is now called most populous black nation or most populous nation in Africa

Indeed.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by ally2014: 11:10am On Oct 08, 2018
in the country u hardly police collecting bribe...u go to their beach,u don't see any tout or agbero harassing anyone or see anyone smoking India hemp...the people there are really friendly..no one is tries to cheat u,even when three know u are new

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Accident Victim At Elohor Clinic Agbarho, Do You Know Him? / Homeless Nigerian Man Rescued From The Streets In Houston, US (Photos) / Iranian Who Made Paris Airport Home For 18 Years Dies (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.