Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) (59898 Views)

Iyana Iba Interchange & Flyover Bridge, Badagry Expressway, Lagos (Pictures) / One-Way Driver Kills Pedestrian In Lagos (Pictures) / Bent Truck Spotted In Motion In Lagos: Pictures & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 11:11am On Oct 08, 2018
Youve forgot to add their working hours
OBALORLA:

Benin Republic (Originally ruled by the kingdom of Dahomey) through a treaty signed by Glele during his rule in May 19, 1868 was ceded to France before the French Navy occupied the city in 1883 to prevent the British from conquering the area.

58 years after gaining independence, a lot of things have obviously changed as Benin republic has had to undergo rapid phases of development largely due to the invasion by the French.

I paid a very close attention to the City of Cotonou during my weekend getaway and did a mental comparison between its fascinating peculiarities and that of Lagos- Nigeria’s most popular city.

Here are 10 Unbelievable ways Cotonou is different from Lagos.

Transport
1. Bikes (popularly called Taxi-Moto) is the most popular means of transportation in Cotonou. Though there are private cars, tricycles, buses and taxis, but the volume of Taxi-motos far outnumbers them.

A typical Taxi-moto parked beside a typical public bus in Benin republic.

2. The official uniform for bikers is either green or yellow. This contributed immensely to the appeal it brought to the highways in general. And more ladies ride bikes compared to Lagos. Though I didn’t encounter any commercial female biker, I saw tons of ladies ride bikes comfortably and as good as their male counterparts.

3. The use of helmets is common. In Lagos, riders use helmets to evade arrest and pull it off once they away from traffic authorities, but in Cotonou, bike riders seemed to know the importance of using helmets every time they are on the road.

4. The number plate of vehicles and motorcycles in Cotonou have just 6 characters, making it very appealing and easier to memorize. Compared to that of Lagos with as much as 8 characters.

Currency
5. The CFA is the standard monetary unit in Benin republic. This colourful bank notes and coins Popularly pronounced as ‘sefar’ are weaker to the Naira at the rate of 1.50 CFA to 1 Naira.

6. Coins are still very much in use and the highest denomination of coins is 500 CFA and the lowest coin being 50 CFA. 20,000 CFA is the highest bank-note in Benin Republic.

7. Unlike what is a major practice in tons of countries around the world, There are no images of any national hero on any of the currencies in Benin Republic. This I suspect is due to the fact that the CFA is jointly spent by 14 countries formerly ruled by the French.

Language
8. The official language is french Fon, Egun and Yoruba are popular indigenous languages used in Cotonou. It was a bitter-sweet experience for me to cope with buying things and asking for directions as a large fraction of the people speak French.

Housing
9. If you’ve been used to the 1 minimum year down-payment style of house letting in Lagos (a style I think adds to the accommodation problems in the city), it’s kind of different in Cotonou as landlords popularly let houses for as short as 1 month like what’s obtainable in Europe. Most of these houses too are already furnished, needing you to only bring in few personal belongings.

10. Almost all the buildings in Cotonou are roofless (let me put it at 9 out of every 10), unlike in Nigeria where roofing is popular. Most houses use these roofless tops creatively for stuffs like gym, mini swimming pools, laundry lines etc.

11. In Cotonou, you’d get taxed if you paint your building. Everyone is advised to use tiles instead. So stop wondering why the best tilers in west Africa are from Benin. This is kind of funny but it’s true.

Environment
12. Compared to Lagos, the streets are generally wider and mostly untarred. hardly will you also find streets with Gutters.

A typical Street in Benin Republic

13. The electric socket in Benin Repubic according to world standards is of the type C / E which is of 220V, 50 Hz compared to that of Nigeria which is type C / E of 230V, 50 Hz. I had to spend 200 CFA in getting a multi socket plug to enable me use my laptop.

Costs 200 CFA

14. There’s as many churches as there are mosques and shrines. The funny thing is that there is s huge catholic church right in front of the popular Snake Temple in Ouidah.

15. Pubs and strip clubs are almost available in every corner. I was at one of the clubs on my first night and unlike the shanawole and casket lifestyle of the Lagos club houses, things are far more calm and serene in Cotounou. I wasn’t too surprised when more than half of the songs played are from Nigeria, same thing in Accra.

16. Ankara is the official wear. there’s no such thing as preserving it till Fridays and Owambes.

Economy
17. It’s obvious the country isn’t rich but have managed to remain modest.

18. The most popular bank is Bank of Africa while The most popular mobile telecommunication network is Moove, closely followed by MTN and far behind is Glo.

A zoom sim card I bought for 1,000 CFA,. That’s approximately N650

19. Suya sellers are neater, but might need to ask for tasting before you’re being spared a slice. and instead of newspapers, thick brown papers are used instead.

20. popular street foods include:

Acheke: A combo of cassava grains, Fish, vegetable and beans.

Costs 300 CFA per plate. That’s like N200

Adepe: smoked tiny snails
Baguette: the most popular of them is a long bread without sugar you must have seen in some parts of Lagos.

Did you find this insightful or interesting? Please I’d love to read your opinion through the comment box below.

Source: https://nomadicnegro.com/facts-about-benin-republic/
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 11:14am On Oct 08, 2018
Official work start at 9 a.m, when it is 12noon they go for break and return 3pm. They work 6hours a day.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by BastardMicheal: 11:15am On Oct 08, 2018
OlaAshawo:
i want to have sex with you kiss
Grow up dude. Are you s3x starved?
Why all this s3x s3x s3x?

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OlaAshawo: 11:17am On Oct 08, 2018
[s]
BastardMicheal:

Grow up dude. Are you s3x starved?
Why all this s3x s3x s3x?
[/s]
my guy how far naa

you just dey low key abi busy with your alternate moniker

tell me the moniker let's have some fun cool
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 11:23am On Oct 08, 2018
Bhol28:
So the CFA is almost catching up with naira,the first and last time I went,almost like 20years ago,1naira was almost like 10 CFA .Hope things like quality clothes are still cheap there sha.
things are not cheap as in those day... A table water of 50 naira over there is like 150 naira when converted.

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by DebTem(f): 11:31am On Oct 08, 2018
awelekiti:
Yea, I like the place. I have visited a couple of their beaches too, including the popular Obama Beach. I used to lodge in one hotel built on the sea called Hotel Du Lac. I love festival Des Glases where I do relish the western delicacies too. It's such a modest town.

smiley Yeah.... It is.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by BastardMicheal: 11:31am On Oct 08, 2018
[s]
OlaAshawo:

my guy how far naa

you just dey low key abi busy with your alternate moniker

tell me the moniker let's have some fun cool
[/s]
I'm using my cilicmarin, sarrki and ngadaawo handles grin
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by DebTem(f): 11:34am On Oct 08, 2018
GodIsFoolish:

So you're from Cotonu and claiming Lagosian?
Yes... I am from Cotonou. cheesy But, how have I been "claiming" Lagosian? :>
P:S-Do I know you?

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by DebTem(f): 11:37am On Oct 08, 2018
Investorsci:

Pls chat me whatapp I need to ask some questions
Sorry.... I am not on whatsapp ATM.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by CilicMarin: 11:38am On Oct 08, 2018
BastardMicheal:
[s][/s]
I'm using my cilicmarin, sarrki and ngadaawo handles grin

grin
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by JamesTPhillips: 11:44am On Oct 08, 2018
cheesy
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Mizwisdom(f): 11:57am On Oct 08, 2018
Is there any country which Nigerians won't hype? We can clearly see they lack adequate infrastructures, seeing untarred streets with no drainage is a red flag. Kudos to our neighbors tho, they are small, poor but still contented.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by elrony(m): 12:03pm On Oct 08, 2018
Jemi7:

Lol, hotel du lac is like the most popular hotel there, and Obama beach is like the biggest and most beautiful beach there too

Dope dope!!! grin grin
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by kzubyar(m): 12:25pm On Oct 08, 2018
Jamestown123:
U did not tell us about lodging and hotels.
very cheap
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Kooldon(f): 12:25pm On Oct 08, 2018
For those of us stil waiting for "the unbelievable part"
1. White men are seen moving freely without any security details even boarding a bike on their own.
2. Traffic is always one a single file at a high traffic density area, if you dare overtake to beat traffic, a traffic warden wil blow whistle, you'l caught and your driving license wil be suspended
3. Most Ankara, wax shops are operated by the whites

7 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by ThisIsOutlaw: 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2018
OBALORLA:

Benin Republic (Originally ruled by the kingdom of Dahomey) through a treaty signed by Glele during his rule in May 19, 1868 was ceded to France before the French Navy occupied the city in 1883 to prevent the British from conquering the area.

58 years after gaining independence, a lot of things have obviously changed as Benin republic has had to undergo rapid phases of development largely due to the invasion by the French.

I paid a very close attention to the City of Cotonou during my weekend getaway and did a mental comparison between its fascinating peculiarities and that of Lagos- Nigeria’s most popular city.

Transport
1. Bikes (popularly called Taxi-Moto) is the most popular means of transportation in Cotonou. Though there are private cars, tricycles, buses and taxis, but the volume of Taxi-motos far outnumbers them.

2. The official uniform for bikers is either green or yellow. This contributed immensely to the appeal it brought to the highways in general. And more ladies ride bikes compared to Lagos. Though I didn’t encounter any commercial female biker, I saw tons of ladies ride bikes comfortably and as good as their male counterparts.

3. The use of helmets is common. In Lagos, riders use helmets to evade arrest and pull it off once they away from traffic authorities, but in Cotonou, bike riders seemed to know the importance of using helmets every time they are on the road.

4. The number plate of vehicles and motorcycles in Cotonou have just 6 characters, making it very appealing and easier to memorize. Compared to that of Lagos with as much as 8 characters.

Currency
5. The CFA is the standard monetary unit in Benin republic. This colourful bank notes and coins Popularly pronounced as ‘sefar’ are weaker to the Naira at the rate of 1.50 CFA to 1 Naira.

6. Coins are still very much in use and the highest denomination of coins is 500 CFA and the lowest coin being 50 CFA. 20,000 CFA is the highest bank-note in Benin Republic.

7. Unlike what is a major practice in tons of countries around the world, There are no images of any national hero on any of the currencies in Benin Republic. This I suspect is due to the fact that the CFA is jointly spent by 14 countries formerly ruled by the French.

Language
8. The official language is french Fon, Egun and Yoruba are popular indigenous languages used in Cotonou. It was a bitter-sweet experience for me to cope with buying things and asking for directions as a large fraction of the people speak French.

Housing
9. If you’ve been used to the 1 minimum year down-payment style of house letting in Lagos (a style I think adds to the accommodation problems in the city), it’s kind of different in Cotonou as landlords popularly let houses for as short as 1 month like what’s obtainable in Europe. Most of these houses too are already furnished, needing you to only bring in few personal belongings.

10. Almost all the buildings in Cotonou are roofless (let me put it at 9 out of every 10), unlike in Nigeria where roofing is popular. Most houses use these roofless tops creatively for stuffs like gym, mini swimming pools, laundry lines etc.

11. In Cotonou, you’d get taxed if you paint your building. Everyone is advised to use tiles instead. So stop wondering why the best tilers in west Africa are from Benin. This is kind of funny but it’s true.

Environment
12. Compared to Lagos, the streets are generally wider and mostly untarred. hardly will you also find streets with Gutters.

13. The electric socket in Benin Repubic according to world standards is of the type C / E which is of 220V, 50 Hz compared to that of Nigeria which is type C / E of 230V, 50 Hz. I had to spend 200 CFA in getting a multi socket plug to enable me use my laptop.

Costs 200 CFA

14. There’s as many churches as there are mosques and shrines. The funny thing is that there is s huge catholic church right in front of the popular Snake Temple in Ouidah.

15. Pubs and strip clubs are almost available in every corner. I was at one of the clubs on my first night and unlike the shanawole and casket lifestyle of the Lagos club houses, things are far more calm and serene in Cotounou. I wasn’t too surprised when more than half of the songs played are from Nigeria, same thing in Accra.

16. Ankara is the official wear. there’s no such thing as preserving it till Fridays and Owambes.

Economy

18. The most popular bank is Bank of Africa while The most popular mobile telecommunication network is Moove, closely followed by MTN and far behind is Glo.

19. Suya sellers are neater, but might need to ask for tasting before you’re being spared a slice. and instead of newspapers, thick brown papers are used instead.

Baguette: the most popular of them is a long bread without sugar you must have seen in some parts of Lagos.

Did you find this insightful or interesting? Please I’d love to read your opinion through the comment box below.

You are right.. but you forgot to add , they have more beaches here and their night life is more fun.. easy to go around anytime and you can’t mess with the police here.. it’s jail straight up
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Babymira(f): 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2018
Coins are still very much in use and the highest denomination of coins is 500 CFA and the lowest coin being 50 CFA. 20,000 CFA is the highest bank-note in Benin Republic........
N/B:10,OOO CFA IS THE HIGHEST BANK-NOTE IN BENIN-REPUBLIC...

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OLUWABIG(m): 12:37pm On Oct 08, 2018
omo that Acheke sweet die go and ask ejigbo people

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Ay04z(m): 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2018
My dad and mum are from Benin. So i am a beninour
Though is been long we visit home. Ketoupe. A village gradually becoming a town .. those people no just like wahala unlike Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Investorsci: 12:47pm On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:

Sorry.... I am not on whatsapp ATM.

How can I reach you then.
Pls It urgent
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by hezsquirt(m): 12:50pm On Oct 08, 2018
planetx:
Tell us about the electricity, and why do the streets not have gutters how do they deal with the run off from rain.
. The electricity is very good.....blackouts happens 3/4 times a month......
Reason they don’t have gutters is beacsuse of the land texture....it’s white sand(like beach sand). So it absorbs water quickly.
There could be a heavy downpour of rain that would last 8hours and you’d be surprised it’s gonna dry up btw 3hours

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by macello4(m): 12:54pm On Oct 08, 2018
OBALORLA:

Transport

Currency

Language

Housing

Environment

Costs 200 CFA

Economy

some time i wonder at the level of ur decadence. What is UNBELIVEABLE here? Iranu.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Irepib(m): 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2018
Earthbound:
Food and accommodation and light (power). Especially accommodation, you'd be surprised how much a 3-bed flat would cost you. It's cheaper than Ibadan sef.

These are more than enough to make some people emigrate from this hell hole.
is the place good for living
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Olifiz(m): 1:22pm On Oct 08, 2018
The last time I went there to buy car the agent who took me said Dey have only two filling stations in the whole country n it’s only rich people that buy from there. Their black market it cheaper than filling station n most black marketers buy from naija n smuggle it in. He also said that’s where Obasanjo n Asari mostly stay because the country is peaceful.

Also they are very weary of Nigerians because most of the crimes committed in that country is done by us.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by nonix22(m): 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2018
You said you went there to school, or na game you went to play
VIPERVENOM:
Schooled in Cotonou for 5 yrs & i could count the number of times there was power outage. You could play a video game for a week without saving........

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by 1Sharon(f): 1:29pm On Oct 08, 2018
ally2014:
in the country u hardly police collecting bribe...u go to their beach,u don't see any tout or agbero harassing anyone or see anyone smoking India hemp...the people there are really friendly..no one is tries to cheat u,even when three know u are new

Seems like such a nice place. What's wrong with Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by nonix22(m): 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2018
you didnt mention hoe their ladies are so in love with naija men

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by 1Sharon(f): 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2018
akinszz:
Official work start at 9 a.m, when it is 12noon they go for break and return 3pm. They work 6hours a day.

So they take 3hour breaks?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2018
1Sharon:

So they take 3hour breaks?
yes... During that period of break they will not attend to any matter until the break is off

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by naijajobx: 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2018
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Accident Victim At Elohor Clinic Agbarho, Do You Know Him? / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos / Homeless Nigerian Man Rescued From The Streets In Houston, US (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.