Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. (8995 Views)

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

All these are plenty grammer no need going i nto all these, keep it simple, name one tech in toyota that makes it reliable over a BMW or an Audo, for each I will give you two tech that makes the BMW and Audi more relaible with facts and figures.

First u tell me why many European cars lose their value at an alarming rate than jap mobiles. A good example, a used 2008 range Rover sports sells for average of $11,000. This is a car that sold for around $70,000 when it was brand new, so in 10 yrs it's losing around 85% of its value. Meanwhile a used 2008 Lexus RX 350 sells for around same $11,000 on average. This car sold for $37,000 when new, so in 10 yrs it lost around 70% of it's value. There's a reason for that.

Meanwhile a 2008 Lexus LX 570 sold for around $75k when brand new but on the used market it's still selling for above $23,000 holding well it's value. There's no point telling u which parts break up easily, the way these cars hold their value after many years and mileage is enough explanation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by thebigkendo(m): 10:46am On Oct 12, 2018
Opens thread: Toyota vs Other brands

Am out grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 11:21am On Oct 12, 2018
greenhulk:

First u tell me why many European cars lose their value at an alarming rate than jap mobiles. A good example, a used 2008 range Rover sports sells for average of $11,000. This is a car that sold for around $70,000 when it was brand new, so in 10 yrs it's losing around 85% of its value. Meanwhile a used 2008 Lexus RX 350 sells for around same $11,000 on average. This car sold for $37,000 when new, so in 10 yrs it lost around 70% of it's value. There's a reason for that.

Meanwhile a 2008 Lexus LX 570 sold for around $75k when brand new but on the used market it's still selling for above $23,000 holding well it's value. There's no point telling u which parts break up easily, the way these cars hold their value after many years and mileage is enough explanation.
this post of urs is a pointer to just o ne thing, Resale value, this are driven by market forces,Now this is not waht this topic was all about.Plz stick to the topic
In other news, plz check the cost of a 9ja used 2008 range rover sport and a 9ja used Rx350, whi is crap as it has no AUx inpute for starters,Has no parking aid, B4 U speak Im driving one as we speak given to me as curtsey car till my car get fixed.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
You're being obnoxious, erico2k2, and I'm not sure if it's on purpose.

Ever heard of The Toyota Way? If you haven't, read about it. It's the reason why Toyota cars are the most reliable on the planet. Toyota quality control is unparalleled.

Amount of technology in a car is inversely proportional to how reliable the car is. More tech equals more stuff likely to break down.

Toyota has gain an indubitable reputation for reliability by finding the perfect balance between tried technology and untried ones. Sometimes it means their cars a few years behind the curve, but that's a fine enough tradeoff if it ensures the cars last for much longer than something from the average marque. The fact that Toyota outsells every other car brand, pretty much in all markets of the world, is proof that that ideology is shared by millions of car buyers.
YOu guys keep throwing big grammer to confuse those not in the know, I asked a simple question, tell me waht RELIABILITY TOYOTA has in its true sense I will give you two each from BMW, Audi and my love Range Rover.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

this post of urs is a pointer to just o ne thing, Resale value, this are driven by market forces,Now this is not waht this topic was all about.Plz stick to the topic
In other news, plz check the cost of a 9ja used 2008 range rover sport and a 9ja used Rx350, whi is crap as it has no AUx inpute for starters,Has no parking aid, B4 U speak Im driving one as we speak given to me as curtsey car till my car get fixed.

Again where u make mistakes, u always do. Rx 350 is a mid sized luxury car so it's no comparison for ur range Rover. Yes the 2nd gen rx 350 lacks an aux port but that generation ended in 2008, the 3rd gen started in 2010 and it has USB, aux, iPod, etc. Even 2006 BMW x5 does not have aux input but u will not see that one, na Toyota/Lexus be ur problem lol.

And talking about resale value, abeg what other factor determines resale value if not for reliability, how likely things will break.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:46am On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

YOu guys keep throwing big grammer to confuse those not in the know, I asked a simple question, tell me waht RELIABILITY TOYOTA has in its true sense I will give you two each from BMW, Audi and my love Range Rover.

1.Better quality control/assurance than any other car maker.
2. Proven technology that's less likely to break down.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

1.Better quality control/assurance than any other car maker.
2. Proven technology that's less likely to break down.

Are you kidding me?
mayB you dont understand what I asked how on earth is that the components that makes a toyota more reliable than a BMW,
why dont you ask me same question and see my answers with pure techincal specification,

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

In other news, plz check the cost of a 9ja used 2008 range rover sport and a 9ja used Rx350 , whi is crap as it has no AUx inpute for starters,Has no parking aid, B4 U speak Im driving one as we speak given to me as curtsey car till my car get fixed.

At the bold, do u really wanna do this? U know it won't be in ur favor. And point of note. At brand new the range is twice the price of the Rx now check theor prices Nigeria used after 10 yrs. Nija used 2008 range Rover sport is sold for around 3 million, while 2008 used Rx 350 is srold for around 2.8 million (don't forget that at brand new the range costs twice the price of the Rx).

If u want a fairer comparison then check out how much naija used 2008 lexus GX 460 costs. That thing still sells for around 5 million naija used while a whole range sells for 3 million

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 12:06pm On Oct 12, 2018
greenhulk:

At the bold, do u really wanna do this? U know it won't be in ur favor. And point of note. At brand new the range is twice the price of the Rx now check theor prices Nigeria used after 10 yrs. Nija used 2008 range Rover sport is sold for around 3 million, while 2008 used Rx 350 is srold for around 2.8 million (don't forget that at brand new the range costs twice the price of the Rx).

If u want a fairer comparison then check out how much naija used 2008 lexus GX 460 costs. That thing still sells for around 5 million naija used while a whole range sells for 3 million
\make we use nairaland do the COmpare nah I go throw my own now.

see Una here
https://www.nairaland.com/4781993/neat-nigerian-used-2007-lexus#71978105

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

Are you kidding me?
mayB you dont understand what I asked how on earth is that the components that makes a toyota more reliable than a BMW,
why dont you ask me same question and see my answers with pure techincal specification,

Reliability isn't due to one particular component. It's an ideology. A system. If you can't understand that, then maybe this argument is flying far above your head.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 12:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
greenhulk:

we where talking RX350 not GX or you want me to upgrade to the Evogue? or X6? or Q7?

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2018
I honestly cannot believe a car enthusiast is unironically saying a LR or Beemer is as reliable as a Toyota. Takes something special to be able to say that with a straight face.

I'm done with this conversation.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by erico2k2(m): 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Reliability isn't due to one particular component. It's an ideology. A system. If you can't understand that, then maybe this argument is flying far above your head.
Lubish, you are not Inclined i n the ENGINEERING FIELD then Reliability is waht prompt Upgrades, and upgrades are centred arrround components.It could simply mean change of materials for same components.All Ideology in Engineering are touchable, you must build it touch it.even the word Concept in Engineering is touchable and physical,This is not Biz Admin olz.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:
\make we use nairaland do the COmpare nah I go throw my own now.

see Una here
https://www.nairaland.com/4781993/neat-nigerian-used-2007-lexus#71978105

Forget this thing. Even 2012 range Rover sport na 6m naija used and u go sweat before u sell am. Meanwhile 2012 lexus gx 460 can still be sold for 8-9m naija used.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

we where talking RX350 not GX or you want me to upgrade to the Evogue? or X6? or Q7?

U and I know Rx is not in the same class as the RR sport. And even at that the Rx still holds it's value a lot better than RR sport. If u like upgrade to evoque or anything, then I will bring Lexus LX into the mix let's see which one holds more value.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

Lubish, you are not Inclined i n the ENGINEERING FIELD then Reliability is waht prompt Upgrades, and upgrades are centred arrround components.It could simply mean change of materials for same components.All Ideology in Engineering are touchable, you must build it touch it.even the word Concept in Engineering is touchable and physical,This is not Biz Admin olz.

I'm a graduate of Electrical Electronics, not sure what you're on about, but ok.

Edit: If you want me to start detailing the materials used and components designed to make Toyotas more reliable, then you must have me mistaken for a Toyota Head of Operations.

That said, empirical data says Toyotas are more reliable than Beemers. Argue all you want. Cry foul. Naysay. Flip tables. It still won't change the data, and data never lies, my friend.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 12, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

I'm a graduate of Electrical Electronics, not sure what you're on about, but ok.

Edit: If you want me to start detailing the materials used and components designed to make Toyotas more reliable, then you must have me mistaken for a Toyota Head of Operations.

That said, empirical data says Toyotas are more reliable than Beemers. Argue all you want. Cry foul. Naysay. Flip tables. It still won't change the data, and data never lies, my friend.

Lol, well said. No point going further. For someone to be comparing a range Rover sport that costs twice the price to a Lexus RX 350, u know he won't understand anything u say. There is a reason Toyota cars still hold 30-40% of their value after 10-15 yrs while beemwrs and land rovers hardly hold 15-20% of their value within same period.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by nurey(m): 12:29pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

Are you kidding me?

Toyota uses a one point mechanical electrical linking system, bmw benz and Co utilise multiple pure electrical systems. This system makes the Germans prone to failure on flooded areas reason the Landcruiser is the official car of UN not the X5 or Gwagon of the Q7.

Toyota engines a basic designs enabling machines to mass produce them reducing cost of production and mechanical failure due to computer generated design and testing. The Germans utilise high grade human manufacturing process driving up cost and increase in mechanical failure.

Toyota utilises bolt on body parts to reduce weight but increase in squeaking Sound but due to this joint body parts can easily be replaced when forces of mature do their thing. Germans weld together their parts giving it a strong tensile strength but structural damage are hard to replace.

No need crying over spilled milk the Japanese designs are more reliable than the Germans. cars are bought for a lot of reasons not just drivability. The Toyota supra and Nissan skyline were sort after cars due to ability to easily upgrade their engines.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
oooooooooooh lawd, when my pastor told me that I should just seat back and relax that people have been strategically positioned to fight my battles for me, I was skeptical....

see the result..

why in the world would a "Toyota vs others" thread be created; either directly or indirectly, without mentioning me to officiate the event or gathering?

lolz

me and my Toyota joooooorrrrrrr, and the reliability in Toyota is not just a Nigerian hype.

fact, figures, data and review (first hand and extended) do not lie oh

sipping my wine once again... please let the battle continue, the winner gets a free Nigerian used 96model E316... duly used and abused.... vehicle needs to be washed and begged before it starts in the morning.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 12, 2018
nurey:

Toyota uses a one point mechanical electrical linking system, bmw benz and Co utilise multiple pure electrical systems. This system makes the Germans prone to failure on flooded areas reason the Landcruiser is the official car of UN not the X5 or Gwagon of the Q7.

Toyota engines a basic designs enabling machines to mass produce them reducing cost of production and mechanical failure due to computer generated design and testing. The Germans utilise high grade human manufacturing process driving up cost and increase in mechanical failure.

Toyota utilises bolt on body parts to reduce weight but increase in squeaking Sound but due to this joint body parts can easily be replaced when forces of mature do their thing. Germans weld together their parts giving it a strong tensile strength but structural damage are hard to replace.

No need crying over spilled milk the Japanese designs are more reliable than the Germans. cars are bought for a lot of reasons not just drivability. The Toyota supra and Nissan skyline were sort after cars due to ability to easily upgrade their engines.

There's a saying: If u want to go on the Safari, take a landrover, if u wanna get back home from the Safari, take a Land cruiser. If u know u know.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by mammanbawa: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2018
I would have liked to insult you, but with your intelligence you wouldn’t get offended.I'm an European car guy
But let's call a spade a spade
Toyotas are the most reliable cars you can find
Reason this matter
Majority of the vehicles used for public transport in this country are toyotas
That's not a coincidence
They're very easy to work on
That's why every kazeem can work on them
On resale value
The only European car that upholds its resale value is the vw golf mk3
That I know of
Except for collectors' cars

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by VolvoS60(m): 7:13pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

^^^
grin
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by VolvoS60(m): 7:14pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

^^^
grin grin
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by VolvoS60(m): 7:16pm On Oct 12, 2018
erico2k2:

^^^
grin grin grin
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sooperrescue(m): 4:19am On Oct 13, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
You're being obnoxious, erico2k2, and I'm not sure if it's on purpose.

Ever heard of The Toyota Way? If you haven't, read about it. It's the reason why Toyota cars are the most reliable on the planet. Toyota quality control is unparalleled.

Amount of technology in a car is inversely proportional to how reliable the car is. More tech equals more stuff likely to break down.

Toyota has gain an indubitable reputation for reliability by finding the perfect balance between tried technology and untried ones. Sometimes it means their cars a few years behind the curve, but that's a fine enough tradeoff if it ensures the cars last for much longer than something from the average marque. The fact that Toyota outsells every other car brand, pretty much in all markets of the world, is proof that that ideology is shared by millions of car buyers.

Hmm. I once stated that the Mercedes Eclass 240 of 2001, the things that are loaded in that car is not available in 2018 Toyota Camry. One is the brake assist. The EU has made it mandatory that all cars sold there must be equipped with it. Brake assist is standard on all Benz from 1998. That's is one of the highlights. That greenhulk that was yabbing our Range Rovers, it is true that they are abandoned in the workshop but it is not as a result of reliability issues. It is caused by negligence. My Sport engine exploded on 3rd mainland all because I was using Oando syn and I know over 10 other people that their engines packed up for the same reason. BMW is reliable unless you cut corners in the maintenance. The good news for Toyota lovers is that the car now uses premium fuel and what is happening to the European cars will soon become common place with Japanese brands.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by VolvoS60(m): 5:14am On Oct 13, 2018
BMW and Land Rover/Range Rover owners valiantly defending their choices. grin

It is well.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by wingmanII: 5:54am On Oct 13, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
I honestly cannot believe a car enthusiast is unironically saying a LR or Beemer is as reliable as a Toyota. Takes something special to be able to say that with a straight face.

I'm done with this conversation.

Agree with you. The erico guy is just arguing childishly.
Toyota reliability is partly a result of the high quality systems embedded in the manufacturing. It's not just the components but how well this components were made.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 6:11am On Oct 13, 2018
sooperrescue:

Hmm. I once stated that the Mercedes Eclass 240 of 2001, the things that are loaded in that car is not available in 2018 Toyota Camry. One is the brake assist. The EU has made it mandatory that all cars sold there must be equipped with it. Brake assist is standard on all Benz from 1998. That's is one of the highlights. That greenhulk that was yabbing our Range Rovers, it is true that they are abandoned in the workshop but it is not as a result of reliability issues. It is caused by negligence. My Sport engine exploded on 3rd mainland all because I was using Oando syn and I know over 10 other people that their engines packed up for the same reason. BMW is reliable unless you cut corners in the maintenance. The good news for Toyota lovers is that the car now uses premium fuel and what is happening to the European cars will soon become common place with Japanese brands.

Bro, easy with the lies. Nobody is denying that Mercedez Benz and many other European automakers are ahead in technology than their Japanese counterparts, nobody is denying that they make more luxurious and performance cars, but saying a 2018 Toyota camry doesn't have brake assist is absurd, even a 2007 Camry has that feature. Oh and by the way, the Jap mobiles are catching up with their newer releases. And just because Toyota makes Camry doesn't mean u should be comparing a Camry with a Benz E class (one is a family car while the other is a luxury car). Pls always compare with a Lexus ES.. though Lexus ES is still no match for Benz E class but at least its still better than the camry.

But where Toyota and Lexus shines is in reliability. In fact u need to give credit to Toyota for building a reliable luxury brand with the Lexus, because before the Lexus, luxury cars are known to be very unreliable, prone to break down at any moment.

sooperrescue:

BMW is reliable unless you cut corners in the maintenance.

Not entirely true. BMW's are unreliable even in countries where they don't cut corners. They are good to be used for 1-7 yrs after which they might become problematic and owners sell them off, and they are expensive to maintain. This is why their resale value is very low... and don't tell me its naija mentality because even in the US they can lose 80-90% of their value in 10 yrs while a corresponding Toyota and Lexus will still keep 30-45% of their value. Advertise a high mileage BMW and Lexus/Toyota and see which one will sell first even if u price the BMW cheaper.

sooperrescue:

The good news for Toyota lovers is that the car now uses premium fuel and what is happening to the European cars will soon become common place with Japanese brands.

Not true, Every Toyota camry run on regular fuel. The 4th gen Lexus ES 330 (2001-2006) and 5th gen recommends premium fuel (but not required). It uses the same engine as the camry so using regular wouldn't make much difference. The 6th and 7th gen ( 2012 to present ) use regular fuel not premium. Acura required premium for the TL's for the 3rd and 4th gen but recent models run on regular.. so what are u talking?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by fabienjoe: 7:28am On Oct 13, 2018
greenhulk:

Bro, easy with the lies. Nobody is denying that Mercedez Benz and many other European automakers are ahead in technology than their Japanese counterparts, nobody is denying that they make more luxurious and performance cars, but saying a 2018 Toyota camry doesn't have brake assist is absurd, even a 2007 Camry has that feature. Oh and by the way, the Jap mobiles are catching up with their newer releases. And just because Toyota makes Camry doesn't mean u should be comparing a Camry with a Benz E class (one is a family car while the other is a luxury car). Pls always compare with a Lexus ES.. though Lexus ES is still no match for Benz E class but at least its still better than the camry.

But where Toyota and Lexus shines is in reliability. In fact u need to give credit to Toyota for building a reliable luxury brand with the Lexus, because before the Lexus, luxury cars are known to be very unreliable, prone to break down at any moment.

Not entirely true. BMW's are unreliable even in countries where they don't cut corners. They are good to be used for 1-7 yrs after which they might become problematic and owners sell them off, and they are expensive to maintain. This is why their resale value is very low... and don't tell me its naija mentality because even in the US they can lose 80-90% of their value in 10 yrs while a corresponding Toyota and Lexus will still keep 30-45% of their value. Advertise a high mileage BMW and Lexus/Toyota and see which one will sell first even if u price the BMW cheaper.

Not true, Every Toyota camry run on regular fuel. The 4th gen Lexus ES 330 (2001-2006) and 5th gen recommends premium fuel (but not required). It uses the same engine as the camry so using regular wouldn't make much difference. The 6th and 7th gen ( 2012 to present ) use regular fuel not premium. Acura required premium for the TL's for the 3rd and 4th gen but recent models run on regular.. so what are u talking?

I love it when informed people try to educate the uninformed. Trouble is, they are stubbornly set in their ways. Many comments here are puerile and they have made me begin to look at some people differently...yes people I thought knew about cars..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by valarinz: 8:00am On Oct 13, 2018
diportivo:
slowly and surely

it will become a Toyota Vs the rest thread

I no know wetin Una dey see for inside this Toyota sef undecided

As if you're a sight seer. Saw the topic and clicked cos I was interested in the BMW, but lo and behold its truly become a toyota hyping thread

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:09am On Oct 13, 2018
valarinz:

As if you're a sight seer. Saw the topic and clicked cos I was interested in the BMW, but lo and behold its truly become a toyota hyping thread

even me sef, I weak to say the least..

I must confess

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

even me sef, I weak to say the least..

I must confess

It's not a Toyota hype thread, though. I hate Toyotas. I just don't like when people choose to twist facts, which is what the LR and Beemer guys are doing here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are Cars Cheap In Katsina / Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings / I Need To Fix My Gear Box.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.