Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria (1535 Views)

Dangote Sugar Refinery To Resume Operations This Week / Fire At Dangote Sugar Refinery May Affect National Supply / Pls Culd Someone Link Me Up To Any Dangote Sugar Distributor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by LondonCool(m): 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2007
Dangote Sugar, Most Capitalised Company
By Shaka Momodu, 04.05.2007

History was made yesterday when Dangote Sugar Refinery which had earlier nudged to second position of most capitalised company breasted the tape to beat FirstBank to become the most capitalised company on the Exchange.

At the end of trading on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) yesterday, Dangote Sugar Refinery Shares appreciated from the previous day’s price of N38.52 per share to N40.44k
And with 10 billion units share of the company outstanding, it has emerged as Nigeria's most capitalised company with market capitalisation of N404.4 billion as against Tuesday’s trading of N385.2 billion, gaining a record 5 percent at a single day's trading which according to Mr Sola Oni, Senior Manager, Corp-orate Affairs of the Nigerian Stock Exchange is "the highest any company can gain in a single day's trading."

Speaking with THISDAY, a capital market operator attributed the company’s phenomenal share appreciation to "a measure of the confidence investors have in the company for it to appreciate that much. It shows its Shares are in good demand by the public. They have confidence in its management".

Dangote Sugar initially had a market capitalisation at listing of about N180 billion, quickly rising to N404.4 billion after only 19 days of trading with share price rising by over 125 percent. the company according to analysts, may have achieved a milestone as arguably the fastest appreciating stock ever listed on the Exchange.

During its public offering, the company offered three billion units of 50 kobo shares at N18 per share, an offer that was over-subscibed by about 40 percent with excess subscription duly returned back to investors with interest.

Dangote Sugar Refinery imports raw sugar from Brazil and refines it in Nigeria for both domestic and industrial use. The company plans to commence export of fully refined sugar from Nigeria to other parts of the West African sub-region in the shortest possible time.
The company has an installed capacity of 4,000 tonnes per day which adds up to about 1.4 million tonnes of refined sugar per annum.

Dangote Sugar Refinery is also one of the first companies in Nigeria to pay a dividend of about N1.15k to all its shareholders, including those that have held the company's share for barely three months.

At the end of the 2006 operating year, the company recorded a turnover of N83.7 billion and a remarkable profit margin of N16.65 billion. Analysts believe that such performance ratio is unprecedented in the history of companies in the Nigeria Stock Exchange.

The company also boasts of over 110,000 new shareholders. About 30 percent of Dangote Refinery's equity are owned by the public, while Alhaji Aliko Dangote, President/CEO of Dangote Group maintains a controlling stake of 70 percent.

Reacting to the company's performance, Mr Uzo Nwankwo, Group Executive Director Corporate Finance, maintained that excellent management was responsible for the company's glowing performance. "We have an excellent management and fundamentally, we have a strong company with good cash flow and very little debt. People see value in the company and have therefore built confidence in it."

He disclosed that offshore investors accounted for over 30 percent of the IPO.

Nwankwo further stated that Dangote Group's offer to the public to invest in its shares is premised on the company's philosopy of sharing wealth to the investing public, adding that the group's successes in its business ventures are a testimony to the sterling management quality of its driving force in the person of Alhaji Aliko Dangote. He revealed further that the company plans to pay first quarter dividend to its shareholders by April in addition to N1.15k dividend already promised.

The 70% equity held by Aliko Dangote amounts to $2.7Billion, he is due for inclusion in the latest Forbes Billionaires list
Re: Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by ibkn(m): 5:52pm On Apr 07, 2007
to aliko welldone
smart move
he should be the richest nigerian now
Re: Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:41pm On Apr 07, 2007
Please post a link to the source of this report, otherwise I will have to remove it for copyright violation.
Re: Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by SavvyLanre: 12:30am On Apr 08, 2007
Haba Seun - the guy posted the name of the author and date, What copyright violation could he have committed now.

Abeg, LondonCool - put the link for Oga Seun - news like this are encouraging, i was pained as i could not get funds to Nigeria on time to buy the shares, i would have really been laughing along with Ahlaji Dangote now. One time opportunity and i couldn't find a quick way of getting money home. Stingy me, should have used Western union - and i would still be laughing.

BTW - If the guy makes it into the Forbes list, that would be a major eye opener for investors in America as well. It might even shoot the price higher, but @40.44 that price still looks high - anyone, what do you think?
Re: Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by LondonCool(m): 6:38am On Apr 09, 2007
Seun:

Please post a link to the source of this report, otherwise I will have to remove it for copyright violation.

You are free to remove it if you want to . What is copyright violation when the authors Intellectual Property to the Article has been acknowledged by his byline.-Shaka Momodu.

Do you know that even if I  post a link to the source that one can still infringe or violate the copyright? So far as you do not have the PERMISSION of the owner to re-publish his work, you are breaking the law? I'm sure you probably had PLAGIARISM in mind. The Doctrine of Fair Use allows me to acknowledge an Authors work without infringing on his copyright. What are you blabbing about? Why don't you get LEGAL ADVICE and update your knowledge (we are all learning).
Re: Dangote Sugar Becomes Most Capitalised Company In Nigeria by dareemman: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
DEAR SIR
MY NAME IS DARE ABIODUN ,AM AN DSTV,HITV AND MYTV INSTALLER AND I WILL LIKE TO INFORM YOU THAT THE DSTV PROMP IS ON AGAIN.AND I WILL LIKE YOU TO CONTACT ME ON 08020903099 FOR ENQUIREIS.THGANKS,

(1) (Reply)

VTU Agent / Wine Market In Guangzhou China. / What Business To Do With N1 Million Loan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.