Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition (42148 Views)

Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output / Top 20 Universities With Most Employed Graduates In Nigeria (list) / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Bigii(m): 9:11pm On Oct 10, 2018
DateMynd44:
I rep library and information science in the Greatest UNIBEN.

what did u graduate with?

Wow! cool

Good to meet you bro.

Graduated with 2.2 (3.4 CGPA) from UNIMAID.

Though, I have gained alot of experience in modern librarianship. I am a legend in the use of KOHA library software both CAT & CLASS.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Asour: 9:24pm On Oct 10, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Not everybody read French and accounting then started harassing employers with application. Some graduated and started their own outfit immediately.
should Someone who is self-employed be included in an Employability survey?
Isn't Employability the degree to with one is suitable for employment or new employment if necessary by another?
Employability is not by definition self-employment.
you probably don't get it.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Asour: 9:40pm On Oct 10, 2018
Niyinficient:

The Survey is apt....i am into HR and i can tell you CU graduates are always on point. Uniben graduates...we are trying too but mehn....You cant take it away from CU students...this is not about connection, at least not on this...i am very sure, its what i do daily. Public school graduates needs to wake up abeg.

And we need to wake up and stop this mentality of seeing private school graduates getting jobs by connection, it is not entirely true. How many graduates from public schools will opt for free internship just to acquire a skill? but you see private uni students doing it and by the time they beat you to the job...you all will start shouting 'connection'.....its a shame

Covenant University graduates are good, perharps great, I don't debate that. But don't overstretch it by saying "CU graduates are always on point". That's definitely not true. No University (certainly not CU) could has all its graduates "always on point".

CU's greatness would speak for itself as time goes on,The need to always polish the place as "Heaven on Earth" by "All words possible" may do it more harm than good.

You ask why Private University graduates can afford to opt for unpaid Internships and public school graduates generally don't? I am quite sure you know the answer to that question yourself.

You ask PU students to wake up but aren't CU students taught by 'Public University graduates'? or did they employ all their lecturers from abroad or are they CU graduates?

Some issues are more complex than you realize.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by HigherEd: 10:44pm On Oct 10, 2018
Asour:

Covenant University graduates are good, perharps great, I don't debate that. But don't overstretch it by saying "CU graduates are always on point". That's definitely not true. No University (certainly not CU) could has all its graduates "always on point".

CU's greatness would speak for itself as time goes on,The need to always polish the place as "Heaven on Earth" by "All words possible" may do it more harm than good.

You ask why Private University graduates can afford to opt for unpaid Internships and public school graduates generally don't? I am quite sure you know the answer to that question yourself.

You ask PU students to wake up but aren't CU students taught by 'Public University graduates'? or did they employ all their lecturers from abroad or are they CU graduates?

Cheers.
You would be surprised to know a very large chunk of CU lecturers did graduate from CU either at the Undergraduate or PG levels...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by CodeTemplar: 11:23pm On Oct 10, 2018
Asour:

Cheers.

CU student can generally afford to stand alone not because of one useless connection or one imaginary wealth somewhere if that is your target.
As a engineering graduate, I did entrepreneurship course for 9 out of 10 semesters. Any graduate who has the slightest of talent or sellable skill after a degree will easily put 2 plus 2 and stand one his or her own.
I also took other business inclined courses. There was a theological course where we were made to study successful business thinkers and their breakthrough pattern or ideas.
Couple that with even a below average understanding of the dynamics of wealth creation from the bible and you have good understanding of why you can afford to stand alone and what you must do to stay afloat.

That talk of knowing why PU grads stand alone would be totally misplaced if you mean they stand alone because of one connection or wealth.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Asour: 11:32pm On Oct 10, 2018
HigherEd:

You would be surprised to know a very large chunk of CU lecturers did graduate from CU either at the Undergraduate or PG levels...

That's not what I replied the individual I quoted about. I simply asked if the PU graduates he asked to wake up were/are not Lecturers at CU.

And I would not be surprised at your 'generic' response .
I would however be surprise if you said 80% of CU lecturers are CU graduates currently, not in the Future.

My response to that 'HR practictioner' was not about CU's quality. I am not in doubt about that. My response was that... well you can re-read it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by CodeTemplar: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
Asour:

Cheers.
You are partially correct with the above. I would say 15% correct. Most of them schooled in Nigerian public university system at one point or another but most spent many years abroad for a second a third degree also. Good examples are the first VC and the current one. So in my opinion, 10-15% of lecturing force in CU is tracable to local public universities.
Some even had a first degree in some African countries.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Asour: 11:42pm On Oct 10, 2018
CodeTemplar:

CU student can generally afford to stand alone not because of one useless connection or one imaginary wealth somewhere if that is your target.
As a engineering graduate, I did entrepreneurship course for 9 out of 10 semesters. Any graduate who has the slightest of talent or sellable skill after a degree will easily put 2 plus 2 and stand one his or her own.
I also took other business inclined courses. There was a theological course where we were made to study successful business thinkers and their breakthrough pattern or ideas.
Couple that with even a below average understanding of the dynamics of wealth creation from the bible and you have good understanding of why you can afford to stand alone and what you must do to stay afloat.

That talk of knowing why PU grads stand alone would be totally misplaced if you mean they stand alone because of one connection or wealth.

I never said anything about standing alone pls re-read my comment. I replied a faulty sweeping generalization by the HR practitioner.

And by the way I personally don't see the point in extolling CU's 'entrepreneurship education courses' on a thread on 'Employability'.

And be sure I know CU is a good/great Institution— without any need for faulty generalizations.

cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by CodeTemplar: 11:45pm On Oct 10, 2018
Asour:

should Someone who is self-employed be included in an Employability survey?
Isn't Employability the degree to with one is suitable for employment or new employment if necessary by another?
Employability is not by definition self-employment.
you probably don't get it.
To me I believe the greatest form of employability is self employment. As a owner and MD involved in day to day activities of a business I would rate such a person as an employee and a owner. It shows another level of belief in self in addition employability. At least to me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Asour: 11:58pm On Oct 10, 2018
CodeTemplar:
To me I believe the greatest form of employability is self employment. As a owner and MD involved in day to day activities of a business I would rate such a person and an employee and a owner. It shows another level of belief.

Not necessarily. Employability is quite different from Self employment I suggest you check the meaning.

A lot of people are self employed Because they are not employable but there are those who leave decent jobs to seek self employment— These are the types I believe, you meant.

Technically, as an unemployed Nigerian graduate, If I take to opening a betshop on the road side, do I classify as a 'self employed individual'? — and as such does it make me employable? since I am 'entrepreneurial'. I think not all self employed individuals are employable (as graduates) that's why they(self employed) should be excluded from this survey.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by CodeTemplar: 12:09am On Oct 11, 2018
Niyinficient:

The Survey is apt....i am into HR and i can tell you CU graduates are always on point. Uniben graduates...we are trying too but mehn....You cant take it away from CU students...this is not about connection, at least not on this...i am very sure, its what i do daily. Public school graduates needs to wake up abeg.

And we need to wake up and stop this mentality of seeing private school graduates getting jobs by connection, it is not entirely true. How many graduates from public schools will opt for free internship just to acquire a skill? but you see private uni students doing it and by the time they beat you to the job...you all will start shouting 'connection'.....its a shame

100%

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by CodeTemplar: 12:17am On Oct 11, 2018
Asour:

Not necessarily. Employability is quite different from Self employment I suggest you check the meaning.

A lot of people are self employed Because they are not employable but there are those who leave decent jobs to seek self employment— These are the types I believe, you meant.

Technically, as an unemployed Nigerian graduate, If I take to opening a betshop on the road side, do I classify as a 'self employed individual'? — and as such does it make me employable? since I am 'entrepreneurial'. I think not all self employed individuals are employable (as graduates) that's why they(self employed) should be excluded from this survey.

I checked the meaning already and the conventionally accept meaning of both terms indicate they are different but you see I am not a conventional guy.
As a creative person in a creative field, if I can't go against convention then I go stale and produce little or nothing.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Kay25(m): 6:54am On Oct 11, 2018
kiss why will it not be covenant when schools like lautech wasted more than a year fighting constituted authority is that not d fault of govt who can't manage things properly
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by BanMePls: 6:56am On Oct 11, 2018
DateMynd44:
I rep library and information science in the Greatest UNIBEN.

what did u graduate with?

I am also a librarian. You graduated in what year?
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by BanMePls: 7:05am On Oct 11, 2018
Bigii:

Wow! cool

Good to meet you bro.

Graduated with 2.2 (3.4 CGPA) from UNIMAID.

Though, I have gained alot of experience in modern librarianship. I am a legend in the use of KOHA library software both CAT & CLASS.

The Dawha and Aguolu of this world.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by TheVictorious(m): 7:36am On Oct 11, 2018
hisexcellency34:
Lies. UI is number one followed by OAU

If the sentiments and opinions held by the majority of Nigerians were anything to go by, then that school won't be in the most reputable ranking in the world today. "Facts are stubborn things" - Chike Chukudebelu

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by TheVictorious(m): 7:41am On Oct 11, 2018
simplesearch:

The outcome of this survey is highly misleading. It should read, more covenant university graduates easily get fixed-up in high paying Job by their influential parent or Guardian than graduates of any other Institution.

This is false
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by BanMePls: 8:06am On Oct 11, 2018
TheVictorious:

This is false

As much as I am not standing brief for that dude, do you really want to tell me there are NO INTERVENING VARIABLES in studies like this?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by SpoiltVirgin: 8:31am On Oct 11, 2018
HigherEd:

Sample size is small sha. But i'm very confident that any thorough study would still place CU on top.
I'm also at variance with the research methodology. Whenever you want to do an employability survey, it is better to sample Organizations rather than individuals. If you sampled 5,000 HR managers it could be accepted than 5,000 graduates. If you must sample graduates then be ready to sample at least 150,000 graduates x years being considered. After which you would standardize the result according to the graduating class sizes of each university - which would be an incredibly difficult work to do because it would require collecting massive amounts of data. But not impossible.

Anyway kudos to the Stutern team, at least your sample sizes are getting bigger every year. The participation of Jobberman and BudgIt also lends much credibility to the study.
God bless Covenant university!
what if the samples was gotten randomly?
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by tosyne2much(m): 8:40am On Oct 11, 2018
mutvy:
Upon all these ratings,Nigeria is still importing polythene bag for sachet water.
Hahahahaha you actually made my day cheesy
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Bigii(m): 10:00am On Oct 11, 2018
BanMePls:

The Dawha and Aguolu of this world.

Lol

Those are the real Dons in LIS. cool

For you to know these men, it's means you're one of us. Hope I am right? wink
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 11, 2018
GboyegaD:
One thing I don't understand is how they came about the offline regions as those 5 states listed above since they are states that have people that are very technology savvy. I would have expected to see more of the Northern states in the offline states.
More so, the methodology isn't clear. Did they just ask your course of study, institution of study, and what you do? Did they account for connections and parental status in how the employed ones got their jobs?
Good job well done though and hopefully, they will increase their sample size for future surveys.
Fair criticism.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2018
Ttipsy:
nice analysis

but do bear in mind that
the school you attended to,
don't determine your chance of getting a job

it's your personal qualifications, how sound and intelligent you are. thanks
Some organizations still rely on school attended by to employ or interview job seekers

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 11, 2018
simplesearch:

The outcome of this survey is highly misleading. It should read, more covenant university graduates easily get fixed-up in high paying Job by their influential parent or Guardian than graduates of any other Institution.
Study the analysis very well. I thought you would criticize the sample size used for the research.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2018
Niyinficient:

They are many graduate from public universities that are willingly to work for free but they rarely see such offers especially on this platform

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2018
Rollitout:

Fake and unreliable statistics, ask people around you how LAUTECH graduate are everywhere in the telecoms and I.T isusytry, you will also find them in the financial institutions across the country with attractive salary.
You don't use mere words or hearsay to back up fact. Op was able to back his claim by research or hearsay
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Magnetron(m): 1:17pm On Oct 11, 2018
Kindredspirit1:

Maybe, I refuse to be a slave to 25k/ month job.
Smart choice. In the long run, entrepreneurial endeavors would provide a much better pay-off.
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Ttipsy(f): 2:25pm On Oct 11, 2018
asuustrike1:

Some organizations still rely on school attended by to employ or interview job seekers
amd if the person isn't qualified for the job?

school doesn't ok
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2018
Ttipsy:
amd if the person isn't qualified for the job?

school doesn't ok
That is the reality. The picture below says it all

Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by piagetskinner(m): 7:38pm On Oct 11, 2018
I think to some extent the statistics is correct...cos there's hardly any CU graduate I know that is not employed
Re: Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition by BanMePls: 8:24pm On Oct 11, 2018
Bigii:

Lol

Those are the real Dons in LIS. cool

For you to know these men, it's means you're one of us. Hope I am right? wink

No, you aren't Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Viral Question Unibadan Lecturer Asked His Students During Examinations / The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University / Federal Polytechnic Oko Bans Beard, Afro Hair And Trousers, Students Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.