Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" (19594 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by WotzupNG: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
At the Monde Festival which held in Paris, Nigerian author and feminist, Chimamanda Adichie touched on a lot of interesting topics especially concerning Africa.

In an interview moderated by Maryline Baumard at the Opéra Bastille, Chimamanda Adichie got a loud applause from the audience when she addressed the description of Africa as a “shithole country” by US President Donald Trump.

She said:

There are things that are said by people and we do not care! Because we know that it comes from a sidereal vacuum.

The author of Dear Ijeawele; The Feminist Manifesto also asked that Africa be thought of differently than through “condescending debates”

On the question of “black” identity, Ms. Adichie said:

Yes I am Nigerian, yes I am a woman, I am a feminist, yes I am black. But why do we stick a label of identity to those who are not white? I recognize myself as a person. I want to be what I am!

She added:

I think increasingly I just want to be able to have all the multiple things that I am. But what I am not, for example is, I am not an American. I really am not.

I’m a person who has a home in America, a person who likes America but I’m not American.

In the US I’m also Black. I’m happily Black. But in Nigeria I’m not Black because we don’t so Black. And so…

It’s true. I get off the plane in Lagos and I don’t think about race, because I don’t have to think about race. And then gender becomes so much more present. I get into the US, it’s race and gender. So, it’s that thing that’s always shicting and moving.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie denies being “an activist”.

To be a writer who is Nigerian and Black and all of those things and feminist means that people constantly want to read me politically, and I also sometimes want to resist that.

Because I want… I want to talk about love as well. I don’t always want to be… Which is also why I feel quite conflicted about now being called an activist. I’m really not. I mean, real activists are doing the real thing. I’m just sitting on stage an blathering on.

But it is no less with the strength of an activist she explains the urgency to think differently of masculinity, to change the status of women, saying:

You really have to raise children, boys and girls, differently from the youngest age. And especially rebuild masculinity. Because feminism will never reach its goal without the involvement of men. Masculinity, as built, is part of the problem. Men must be tough to show their strength. It should be done so that men can be vulnerable, show their emotions.

She added:

It would be great if the macho was also a crying guy, and who thinks that violence is terrible.

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-trump-africa-shithole/

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by dynicks(m): 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2018
I don't blame her neither do i blame trump! i rather blame d shitty greedy nd bigoted mofos most African leaders turn out to be when elected into positions........

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by chukslawrence(m): 1:00pm On Oct 10, 2018
ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Shelumiel: 1:01pm On Oct 10, 2018
An unrealistic woman

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Tamarapetty(f): 1:02pm On Oct 10, 2018
So in conclusion, what did she say??

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by JasonScoolari: 1:06pm On Oct 10, 2018
Her dumb feminist daughter, Ladyhippolyta88 A .K.A Lady Hippopotamus is already viewing this thread.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Naza25: 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2018
Chimamanda should first prove that Trump really called Africa a shithole before she starts running her mouth

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by newsynews: 1:33pm On Oct 10, 2018
Is Africa not a shithole?

lalasticlala go outside and see how messed up the neighborhoods are.

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by LifestyleTonite: 4:46pm On Oct 10, 2018
lalasticlala
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by GentleMoney: 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2018
'She (not We) does not care..'
Hmm...

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
cheesy

For Trump's shithole comment, I don't care too but "feminist" cheesy See ring on her finger o, has a child and husband to go to.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by mokt(m): 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
Why we go bother, e no be shithole before?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Fitbillionairep: 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
bitch stfu, we care. infact that is how most of us got to know how to use the word shithole.
what we should care and talk of is you making some brainless bitches like my stupid cousin and some useless naija bitches husbandless.
while you are busy getting piped down every night

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by IMASTEX: 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
newsynews:

Is Africa not a shithole?

lalasticlala go outside and see how messed up the neighborhoods are.
I wonder!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Num07033711115(m): 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
na buhari cus dis 1 o
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2018
All them dumb misogynistic nairalanders will be rushing to this thread just to insult her, not minding the fact that they have not understood what she just said.

24 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by dazzlingd(m): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2018
Now this is a sensible way to act.

Someone called your country a shithole and you celebrate just because of political differences. I tell you, it's a shame to whoever cannot stand to defend his nation because when you step out there, no one cares if you are pdp, apc, Yoruba, igbo, Hausa, they see you in person as a shithole person!

Shame on you, you cursed blacks. Inferiority is your menace.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Hundreddegrees(m): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2018
Someone that is living abroad and enjoying the good life.. Why would you care?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2018
Truth is the new hate speech. Can I ask if Trump lied angry

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by abumeinben(m): 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2018
I see...

This lady must be listening to Beyonce's Rise
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2018
" Men must be tough to show their strength. It should be done so that men can be vulnerable, show their emotions."

Why are feminists so obsessed with making men weak, when normal women don't like weak men?

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Doerstech(m): 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2018
Ada
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by leisuretym: 5:51pm On Oct 10, 2018
shes lucky that interview didn't take place here, buhari would have sent his boys to tear gas her

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Rhozabeth(m): 5:52pm On Oct 10, 2018
I don't know why I don't like reading anything abt this
lady!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by milemimi93(m): 5:53pm On Oct 10, 2018
Fvck Trump

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:53pm On Oct 10, 2018
Dis geh go just old on top matter wey no consign am!

She dey form feminist yet she dey silently receive her husband cable!

She just dey open mouth upandan!

She dey US dey enjoy still dey put mouth for our shithole wey we dey dey smell!

If I enta US no be to just miss? No be to jus dey codedly enjoy life?

Auntie, no waste your saliva dey tok empty tok, y'hear? Use an pray make booboo get small sense!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by milemimi93(m): 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2018
Tamarapetty:
So in conclusion, what did she say??
She said that feminism is a scam..

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Doerstech(m): 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2018
Rhozabeth:
I don't know why I don't like reading anything abt this
lady!

But you JUST DID

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" by Nathdougg: 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
Don't be mad girl..
NIGERIA is actually a shithole..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Broken Heart*** / GOOD GUY AT 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.