Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,485 members, 7,801,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. (42757 Views)

See How Atiku Was Mobbed In Kaduna During PDP Campaign / See How Atiku Was Mobbed When He Returned From US. Dele Momodu Shares Video / Pictures Of How Atiku Was Welcomed In Ibadan By PDP Supporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by midolian(m): 4:31pm On Oct 11, 2018
Nigeria's Presidential election pits a wheeler-dealer against a Soldier

AND then there were two. After a long night of intrigue and counting in primary elections in Port Harcourt, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Nigeria’s main opposition, chose Atiku Abubakar as its presidential candidate for the elections in February. At the same time, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), more predictably, unanimously backed the incumbent, Muhammadu Buhari, for a second term.

Both candidates are boringly familiar to voters. Mr Abubakar has been in every election since 1999; Mr Buhari every one since 2003. Oddly for a country where half the population is younger than 18, both candidates are in their 70s. Both face the challenge of energising an electorate that is growing disenchanted by extravagant promises that bring little change.

Equally striking is that both are northerners, Muslim and belong to the Fulani ethnic group. That ought to be of little consequence. But it counts for much in a country where people often vote along ethnic and religious lines, and where parties usually ensure that candidates from the north and south take turns standing.

For all their outward similarities, the two are quite different characters. Mr Abubakar, a wealthy former vice-president and customs-service chief, is a politicians’ politician, a gregarious character who masterfully outflanked his rivals in Port Harcourt. He campaigns as a business-friendly candidate who will get Nigeria’s economy going. By contrast President Buhari, austere and introverted, is a former military ruler who does not hurry to make decisions and is suspicious of Nigeria’s corrupt political and business elite. Mr Buhari’s aides say his administration can claim successes in the fight against jihadists in the north-east and in diversifying the economy away from its dependence on oil, which once accounted for 90% of government revenues.

Corruption is likely to be a prominent issue. Mr Abubakar was singled out by America’s Senate in 2010 in a report on money laundering. It said he had channelled substantial funds of uncertain origin into America through proxy accounts. Mr Abubakar is backed by Goodluck Jonathan, a former president under whose chaotic rule between 2010 and 2015 corruption proliferated. Mr Abubakar’s supporters note that their candidate is the most investigated politician in Nigeria’s history, and that no charges have ever stuck.

Mr Buhari’s extraordinary victory in 2015 challenged the long-held view that it was impossible to unseat an incumbent in Nigeria. A key to his success was his ability to hold together an awkward coalition of parties to defeat Mr Jonathan. To repeat the trick, Mr Abubakar will need to win the full-throated support (and financial resources) of rivals he has just trounced for the nomination.

Mr Buhari’s challenge is different. Although his nomination was uncontested, the party has been tearing itself apart over which candidates will run for state governorships and seats in the senate. The first lady, Aisha Buhari, said on Twitter that some of the APC’s primaries had been rigged. She criticised party managers for sanctioning a culture of “impunity”.

Her husband will need to impose discipline on the party. Turnout in 2015 was just 43%. In more recent state elections it dropped to 20%. In a system where the party machinery is needed to turn potential support into actual votes, it is the battle within that may determine the outcome of the presidential election

https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2018/10/13/nigerias-presidential-election-pits-a-wheeler-dealer-against-a-soldier

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by SarkinYarki: 4:33pm On Oct 11, 2018
Even if he was singled out by NASA we must still vote him ...

447 Likes 27 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by baliyubla: 4:33pm On Oct 11, 2018
Watch how people that bashed the Economist when they declared their dullard will lose the 2019 elections, come here to masturbate on this thread. Even if Atiku is coming to Rob CBN, assign all oil wells to himself or even to Islamise me, my vote is for him. Shikena!

316 Likes 30 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by midolian(m): 4:35pm On Oct 11, 2018
I hope those who claim the Economist is credible wont call this APC propaganda grin

The Economist called him a wheeler-dealer sef grin grin grin

For those who do not know what this means, A wheeler-dealer is a person who makes deals in business or politics in a skilful and sometimes dishonest way.

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by madridguy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 11, 2018
grin grin grin

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by afroniger: 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2018
Well, it seems Obasanjo has Atiku's international 'files' as regards all these foreign and incriminating allegations against him, which will explain why he kept harping on him going to mend his image in that speech before forgiving him.

Atiku must have some solid defense against these allegations before campaign begins else the incumbent may mess him up with the corruption/wanted criminal tag. The campaign will be brutal.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by hucienda: 4:38pm On Oct 11, 2018
Even the US Senate and the Economist are Atikulating.

Nigerians are more or less people of good humour regardless circumstance.

Turn to your neighbour and ask:
"Neighbouuuuur. Are you Atikulated?" cheesy

All in all, an interesting election come February.

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2018
BMC zombies oooo

Atiku been giving BMC zombies and the lifeless one sleepless nights since after PDP convention that produced Atiku as flag bearer.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2018
PDP and it's unmatched affinity for corrupt leadership
The party stinks to high heavens

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by WhyMoD: 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2018
Shove it up ur ass..

#Atikulated........ 100%

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by YourImaginaryBF: 4:42pm On Oct 11, 2018
SarkinYarki:
you support Atiku despite admitting he's corrupt. What wonders are you expecting a thief like Atiku to perform?

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by SarkinYarki: 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2018
YourImaginaryBF:
you support Atiku despite admitting he's corrupt. What wonders are you expecting a thief like Atiku to perform?

Alot better than the below wonders Buhari has performed in just 3 years

See below Buharis real achievement

13 trillion Naira loan with nothing to show for it

Over 13 million white collar Job losses

Over 20 thousand deaths to terrorism

Over 89 million people thrown into abject poverty

Made Nigeria the certified poverty capital of the world

Record level nepotism

Worsened corruption rating at TI index

Worst childhood mortality in the world

Worst maternal mortality in the world

Lowest life expectation in the world

Worst access to healthcare in the world

Worst access to police services in world

Worst Access to electricity in the world

Worst overall performance in the global Human development Index

Widest gap between the rich an poor in the world

Destroyed Nigerias emerging middle-class

Kidnap capital of world ..

Deepest divisiveness since the civil war .

Record human rights abuse !!!!

176 Likes 17 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2018
YourImaginaryBF:
You people don't get it,Nigerians are wiser,all those PDP are thief and corrupt while buhari and APC politicians are saints doesn't fly again

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Great2017: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2018
The music is voting anything but "Mr. Integrity".

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by YourImaginaryBF: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2018
SarkinYarki:

[s]Alot better than the below wonders Buhari has performed in just 3 years

See below Buharis real achievement

13 trillion Naira loan with nothing to show for it
Over 13 million white collar Job losses
Over 20 thousand deaths to terrorism
Over 89 million people thrown into abject poverty
Made Nigeria the certified poverty capital of the world
Record level nepotism
Worsened corruption rating at TI index
Worst childhood mortality in the world
Worst maternal mortality in the world
Lowest life expectation in the world
Worst access to healthcare in the world
Worst access to police services in world
Worst Access to electricity in the world
Worst overall performance in the global Human development Index
Widest gap between the rich an poor in the world
Destroyed Nigerias emerging middle-class
Kidnap capital of world ..
Deepest divisiveness since the civil war .

Record human rights abuse[/s] !!!!
propaganda grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 4:51pm On Oct 11, 2018
Make him papa name be corruption I go vote am

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by midolian(m): 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:
Make him papa name be corruption I go vote am
Even you wey no get voters card? cheesy cheesy

19 Likes

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 4:56pm On Oct 11, 2018
midolian:
Even you wey no get voters card? cheesy cheesy
Says who, I get for Ilorin and Lagos. Anywhere I they I go vote

13 Likes

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by midolian(m): 4:57pm On Oct 11, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:

Says who, I get for Ilorin and Lagos. Anywhere I they I go vote

Meaning you have two voter's card? shocked shocked

little wonder you are supporting Corruption

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 5:02pm On Oct 11, 2018
midolian:

Meaning you have two voter's card? shocked shocked

little wonder you are supporting Corruption
The system encouraged it bro, besides when we had CORRUPTION we were feeding well and leaving better.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Almaiga: 5:10pm On Oct 11, 2018
Breeze dey open fowl nyash small small. In no time, PDP will be forced to change Atiku as it's flag bearer.

I'm proud to support Buhari, the most upright and Integrity leader in Africa.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by midolian(m): 5:30pm On Oct 11, 2018
lalasticlala, this is fresh from the economist

1 Like

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by tesppidd: 5:51pm On Oct 11, 2018
Atiku was up against Buhari at the 2015 primaries.

Amaechi dealt with him.

It shall be repeated in 2019.

Inec chairman
The Nigerian army
The Nigerian air force
The Nigerian navy
The Nigerian police
The DSS
22 state governors
36 ministers
255 lawmakers
36 INEC commissioners
5 million Kano votes
3 million lagos votes

By hook or by crook
By fire by force

Buhari must be delivered

18 million votes- CHECK!

Atiku will never be president of Nigeria
We don't want an international thief as president.

Buhari till 2023.
APC till 2055.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by TundeBricklayer: 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2018
All politicians in Nigeria are criminals including PMB

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Nemesis001: 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2018
Even if FBI, Interpol, DIA, NIA, Homeland Security, NSA and the whole Americans arrest and imprison Atiku, I and my family will still vote for him.

Shebi Buharist think say na only them get sense ni. . Atiku till I die.

Show me a video of Atiku robbing a bank, He must rule us from the prison yard o

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
baliyubla:
Watch how people that bashed the Economist when they declared their dullard will lose the 2019 elections, come here to masturbate on this thread. Even if Atiku is coming to Rob CBN, assign all oil wells to himself or even to Islamise me, my vote is for him. Shikena!
yes Atiku was indicted but we will still vote for him.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Gerrard59(m): 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
Both candidates are boringly familiar to voters. Mr Abubakar has been in every election since 1999; Mr Buhari every one since 2003. Oddly for a country where half the population is younger than 18, both candidates are in their 70s. Both face the challenge of energising an electorate that is growing disenchanted by extravagant promises that bring little change.

Don't you just love the way The Economist writes? cheesy

9 Likes

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Felixv: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
Atiku american dodger.

New name is carpet bagger.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Olukat(m): 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
grin grin grin grin Trash from an illiterate APC Economist writer!
Fake news alert...lifeless ones.
Atiku is not running for the white House sad

4 Likes

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
It is well.
Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by id911(m): 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
Even if the CIA arrest Atiku and sentence him to 100 years imprisonment, we will still vote for him and he will rule us from prison.

My family and I including my father's 6 wives and 31 children will support and vote for Atiku

Atikulate all the way

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More. by Afamed: 5:55pm On Oct 11, 2018
SarkinYarki:
Speak for yourself. who are we?

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dangote, Otedola And Dogara At Tosin Saraki's Wedding Reception / How The Crash That Killed James Ocholi And Family Was Just A Big Mess / Umahi Installs CCTV Cameras In Abakaliki Metropolis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.