Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate (76830 Views)

We’ll Work For Peter Obi’s Emergence As President – NLC, TUC / Afenifere Reacts As Court Sentences Killers Of Olufunke Fasoranti To Death / Igboho: Afenifere Reacts As Court Stops FG From Arresting Agitator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by wideawaken01: 8:53pm On Oct 12, 2018
The Pan Yoruba Group, Afenifere, has reacted to the emergence of Peter Obi as the running mate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has pleaded with Atiku and Obi to remain steadfast in its restructuring message.

The National Publicity Secretary of the Afenifere, Mr Yinka Odumakin said: “All we concerned about at this stage is there were commitments by Atiku about the restructuring of Nigeria.

“If it is true that he has picked Peter Obi as his running mate, he should join him to work out clear cut programme on restructuring and ensure that he remains steadfast on that because that is the main issue that will determine the next election.”

The group had earlier found a way to reconnect Atiku with his former boss, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. Atiku was Obasanjo’s vice president for 8 years while the latter presided over the country between 1999-2007. The visit to Obasanjo was the first time the former president would meet with his former deputy since the latter emerged as presidential candidate of the PDP. Though Obasanjo had in the past vowed not to ever support Atiku’s long nurtured presidential aspiration, the former president has unbent upon his even more harsh assessment of the incumbent president, Muhammadu Buhari.

Meanwhile, before the announcement of Peter Obi, the national chairman of the PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, recently met with Atiku alongside other party leaders to determine a running mate for the 2019 presidential candidate in a bid to appease the Igbo people.

The PDP presidential candidate, Atiku received a heavyweight endorsement on Thursday as his former boss and adversary, former president Olusegun Obasanjo, bowed to pressure from the Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere, and blessed Atiku’s presidential aspiration.

Obasanjo, during a reconciliatory meeting in Abeokuta, brokered by the Afenifere, said he had forgiven Atiku and stated that given his personal knowledge of him, he had better capacity to perform better than the incumbent, President Muhammadu Buhari.

The meeting was witnessed by the Catholic Archbishop of Sokoto Dioceses, Bishop Matthew Kukah; Founder of Living Faith Church, Pastor David Oyedepo; a leading Moslem cleric, Sheik Ibrahim Gumi; and Afenifere leader, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, among others. The endorsement, which immediately drew the reactions of the presidency and the Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation that dismissed it as a distraction and non-event, appears to be reshaping the battle for the presidency in 2019 as it indicates the realignment of political and religious forces in the country.

The involvement of the religious leaders, Daily Advent learnt yesterday might indicate the direction the two leading religions and their dominant denominations are looking. With Bishop Kukah of the Catholic, Oyedepo from the Pentecostal flank and Gumi, a Moslem cleric who had been politically vocal, in the mix, the paper’s analysts suggest there might be a coalition against the re-election of Buhari, whose reign had been mired in massive killings both faiths’ faithful by gunmen largely suspected to be Fulani herdsmen.

The political forces, Daily Advent also learnt are gathering behind Atiku against Buhari, largely because they see his three and a half years in the saddle as the most divisive of the nation in its 58 years of independence, fearing that another four years for him might push the country over the precipice.

Atiku’s endorsement by Obasanjo, according to sources close to the emerging coalition of forces, is said to be the outcome several months of pressure on the former president to drop his opposition to his former deputy, who many of the political leaders estimate is the most viable politician that could unseat Buhari.

Daily Advent learnt further the club of retired military generals, including Ibrahim Babangida, Muhammed Gusau and Abdulsalami Abubakar had been working on Obasanjo to shift position on Atiku, telling him that unless he did, Buhari’s chances of returning to office would remain bright given the deep division in the opposition parties.

http://www.dailyadvent.com/index.php/2018/10/12/afenifere-reacts-to-peter-obis-emergence-as-atikus-running-mate/

79 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:55pm On Oct 12, 2018
Afenifere will liberate the Yoruba's from the greediness of Tinubu

I thank God for uniting us to send that idiat back to his cows

570 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by astOorR(m): 8:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
Vote ATIKULATION
VOTE RECUPERATION.

Let’s grow Nigeria ��

339 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by wideawaken01: 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:

You make sense

367 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by TeaParty: 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2018
Cool

12 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by StillX10(m): 9:00pm On Oct 12, 2018
That's great

Atikulated

146 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by hyfr(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2018
This is what patriotism is all about, no matter the tribe nor the region they come from,they’ve got good motives so let’s join hands and vote them. Good move from Afenifere, I’m wowed. I pray my Yoruba brothers buy this idea

266 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by magoo10(m): 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2018
Nice one from afenifere
What we need is economic prosperity devoid of nepotism and tribalism.

253 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by RTSC: 9:14pm On Oct 12, 2018
Smart people.
Hold atiku by the jugular with regard to his promises regarding restructuring. That is what matters.

That is how you know progressive people.

Honestly, afenifere and other progressively minded yorubas are the only reason why I am holding back on the kind of words I say with regards the Yoruba people.
It would tantamount to tarring all of them with the same brush.

If I were to look at the behaviour of buhari worshipping yorubas on nairaland, I would have been much more acidic.

259 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by mycar: 9:15pm On Oct 12, 2018
That is what we are talking about, hunger and hardship have no tribe.

94 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:20pm On Oct 12, 2018
South West are not happy with APC caucus trying to hold everyone to ransom

Their votes for Adeleke before the re-run will tell you that the SW, SE, SS, and North are desperately in need of a game changer!

We are tired of APC hooligans, arrogance, violence and nonchalant attitudes

Atiku/Obi will mend fences no doubt!

242 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Johnnyessence(m): 9:23pm On Oct 12, 2018
Afenifere has spike the mind of Nigeria people, how i wish baba bola ige will be around .

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by zombieTRACKER: 9:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
Where are the zombies nah....

Please crawl out of your holes..

Nobody to quote... undecided

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by basilo101: 9:24pm On Oct 12, 2018
The real yorubas have spoken. Tinubu slaves take note

190 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Johnnyessence(m): 9:26pm On Oct 12, 2018
Wiseandtrue:
South West are not happy with APC caucus trying to hold everyone to ransom

Their votes for Adeleke before the re-run will tell you that the SW, SE, SS, and North are desperately in need of a game changer!

We are tired of APC hooligans, arrogance, violence and nonchalant attitudes

Atiku/Obi will mend fences no doubt!
exactly on point, infact osun state governorship election results has already sent wrong signal to Apc that they have already been rejected in osun state and also in south west. no amount of Apc propaganda will stop us from voting out Apc from power. even in next year presidential election, it is protest votes.

127 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by kotv: 9:26pm On Oct 12, 2018
I still think Atiku made the wrong decision. Although yes obi is good in economy and probably aid in getting Nigeria out of this damage the lifeless one put it, he should have chosen iweala. She had the strength of two zones. She represented both SS and SE and have international strength. Anyway, I still support Atiku and now obi. Anyone to remove the lifeless one is welcome

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by KingKingKing: 9:35pm On Oct 12, 2018
Johnnyessence:
exactly on point, infact osun state governorship election results has already sent wrong signal to Apc that they have already been rejected in osun state and also in south west. no amount of Apc propaganda will stop us from voting out Apc from power. even in next year presidential election, it is protest votes.

Stop spewing ignorance on a public forum! Pdp having lots of votes in the osun election wasn't as a result of Leadership at the Federal level but as a result of leadership at the state level, where Aregbe owed salaries for months! Even if d federal level had an excellent leadership, with an aregbe at the state level.. a lot of people would still have voted against Aregbe!

What do you have to say about Ekiti election!

In 2011 Jonathan won Lagos but PDP lost Lagos at the governorship polls

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Johnnyessence(m): 9:44pm On Oct 12, 2018
KingKingKing:

Stop spewing ignorance on a public forum! Pdp having lots of votes in the osun election wasn't as a result of Leadership at the Federal level but as a result of leadership at the state level, where Aregbe owed salaries for months! Even if d federal level had an excellent leadership, with an aregbe at the state level.. a lot of people would still have voted against Aregbe!

What do you have to say about Ekiti election!

In 2011 Jonathan won Lagos but PDP lost Lagos at the governorship polls
in presidential poll too, pdp will have our votes. no federal government projects in osun state. up till today, osogbo to iwo to ibadan road have not been done. so so bad.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Kenekingisback: 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2018
With this statement, Buhari is going back to his native home located in the outskirts of Katsina angry

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by BIAFRONIGERIAN(m): 9:49pm On Oct 12, 2018
kotv:
I still think Atiku made the wrong decision. Although yes obi is good in economy and probably aid in getting Nigeria out of this damage the lifeless one put it, he should have chosen iweala. She had the strength of two zones. She represented both SS and SE and have international strength. Anyway, I still support Atiku and now obi. Anyone to welcome the lifeless one is welcome

Iweala or no Iweala south south is for PDP,besides she's Igbo so its just the same.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Konki: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2018
@deomelo

How market?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by kotv: 9:54pm On Oct 12, 2018
BIAFRONIGERIAN:

Iweala or no Iweala south south is for PDP,besides she's Igbo so its just the same.

Yes I know. I am from SS so I know PDP is guaranteed to win in SS. I just believe Iweala was the better choice. She's from SS and ibo so she represented both zones.

7 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Rilwayne001: 9:54pm On Oct 12, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:

Mumu, they tried in 2015, they failed. No one in south-west takes afenifere. They are only relevant because of ipob touts like you. Hehe

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by forgiveness: 9:56pm On Oct 12, 2018
Afenifere are PDP apologist

17 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by KingKingKing: 9:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
Johnnyessence:
in presidential poll too, pdp will have our votes. no federal government projects in osun state. up till today, osogbo to iwo to ibadan road have not been done. so so bad.

i thought u were from Ekiti

7 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Diiet: 9:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
Afenifere won't fight for the interests of yorubas in PDP but always quick to tell us how the party is the best thing after slice bread to our region.
The marginalisation and humiliation SW surfered under GEJ would be a child play to the one awaiting us if PDP returns to power without addressing the current relegation of yorubas in the party .

They are talking about restructuring as if it's that easy.

Isn't Atiku from the fulani tribe that is benefiting most from the current status? Time will tell who is selling SW cheap between afenifere and Tinubu.

57 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by kotv: 10:01pm On Oct 12, 2018
Rilwayne001:

Mumu, they tried in 2015, they failed. No one in south-west takes afenifere. They are only relevant because of ipob touts like you. Hehe

Before Buhari was tested and failed with poor economy, poverty, increase unemployment rate, etc PDP pulled 42% from that zone. This was before Buhari brought recession and poverty to the country grin. Keep decieving yourself

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by Racoon(m): 10:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
Infact if Atiku/Obi comes in this should be the first thing after settling down.Meanwhile continue Atikulating.

13 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by goldenceo1: 10:12pm On Oct 12, 2018
A victory for PDP on 2019 poll will be a victory for the electorate. APC is a monumental failure that needed to be corrected.

Meanwhile that's how Buhari/APC will be looking for corruption against Atiku and Peter Obi

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by dreamwords: 10:13pm On Oct 12, 2018
grin

7 Likes

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by EweduAfonja(f): 10:13pm On Oct 12, 2018
Ipod VP Ooo...

Afonja VP Oooo...

all I'm after is a better Nigeria for my unborn children

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afenifere Reacts To Peter Obi's Emergence As Atiku’s Running Mate by enemyofprogress: 10:14pm On Oct 12, 2018
The difference between Yoruba and long from here reach heaven. If na Yoruba man atiku pick, Igbo no go allow the whole world hear word again, na the shout of Biafra or nothing we go dey hear

45 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari Spotted In Gucci Shoes Worth $640 (N223,905): Nigerians React / Radio Biafra Lied Against Me - President Buhari / Gboyega Oyetola Biography, Profile, Age, Wife Kafayat Oyetola, Osun Governorship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.