Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please (3239 Views)

Harvest From My Cassava Farm / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Meet Zainab Eze, Student Who Owns 7 Acres Of Cassava Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Benyfil(m): 11:09am On Oct 14, 2018
Greetings Nairalanders

I am a greenhorn farmer residing in Lagos State while my farm land is situated in Ogun State who just ventured into cassava farming. I planted cassava on 3 hectares land, mid September, 2018 which is barely 4 weeks and weeds are already disturbing the farm. When you look at the farm, weeds and the cassava are at par in terms of growth and you would hardly see the crop cos they are both mixed in the farm. I sprayed the farm before planting and I am surprised weeds are already growing to this stage.

Employing manual labor would be disastrous and so I have opted to use herbicide. My question is, are there any herbicide one can spray on the entire farm without the fear that it would harm the cassava? Are there any herbicide that spares cassava and kills other weeds? Reason for asking this questions is due to the fact that the cassava and weeds are altogether on the farm land and its hard to spray the weeds without the chemical touching the cassava crop also. Mostly Akintola leave on the farm (Chromolaena odorata)

I really look forward to your responses as well as your advice on what I can do in this situation.

Regards
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by boyejo: 12:01pm On Oct 14, 2018
In terms of cost, glyphosates is your best bet. You need to get very experienced sprayers to do it for you. Glyphosates kill cassava stems thats why you need experienced spraying gang to do it.
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Ameboperoo(m): 12:54pm On Oct 14, 2018
I will not recommend glyphosate since the cassava is still at young stage and weed is at par with crops. Glyphosate will kill your cassava or at least give it a stunted growth if sprayed on the leaves or green stem.
It is better to use a contact herbicide like paraquat based. This will kill only the part it comes in contact with but not the entire crop.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Ameboperoo(m): 1:06pm On Oct 14, 2018
Just like the post above said, u need experienced people to do it cos of the state of the weed . subsequently, u should never allow the weed to outgrow you crops before spraying.
If not for the cost and time, manual weeding would have been best but cassava does not like weed competition at early stage. U should use a fast acting herbicide.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by kingmuyiwa(m): 1:37pm On Oct 14, 2018
I salute you sir. Well done and thanks for sharing informative contents that provide millions with opportunities. Please i need a linkup tp secure two yearly farm labourers. Please kindly help me on this. Please whatsapp me on 08034698250. Thanks in anticipation. Farm location is Oba Akoko in Akoko south west local government of Ondo State.
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Benyfil(m): 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2018
I appreciate all your responses.

Been doing some search online since morning also. I read there are selective herbicides that would only kill grasses and broadleafs? Question again is this, is cassava a broadleaf and would this selective herbicides have any effect on cassava?

Thanks all, I appreciate your comments
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Ameboperoo(m): 4:02pm On Oct 14, 2018
Benyfil:
I appreciate all your responses.

Been doing some search online since morning also. I read there are selective herbicides that would only kill grasses and broadleafs? Question again is this, is cassava a broadleaf and would this selective herbicides have any effect on cassava?

Thanks all, I appreciate your comments
Yes selective like 24D will kill broad leave and can be used in maize for example but my experience in using such is that the grasses will thank u for eliminating their competitors (broad leave) and now face your crop.
Before u use any selective check the types of weeds. Now, what type of weeds do u have? Remember cassava is broad leaved not grasses. If u have basically spear grass, there is a way out
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Benyfil(m): 4:47pm On Oct 14, 2018
Ameboperoo:

Yes selective like 24D will kill broad leave and can be used in maize for example but my experience in using such is that the grasses will thank u for eliminating their competitors (broad leave) and now face your crop.
Before u use any selective check the types of weeds. Now, what type of weeds do u have? Remember cassava is broad leaved not grasses. If u have basically spear grass, there is a way out

Thanks for the response once again.
80% of the weeds on the farm are Akintola leaves (I hope you know these leaves). They are broad in nature. The 24D you mentioned above, is that the actual name of the herbicides?
Thanks very much once again.
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Ameboperoo(m): 5:30pm On Oct 14, 2018
Benyfil:

Thanks for the response once again.
80% of the weeds on the farm are Akintola leaves (I hope you know these leaves). They are broad in nature. The 24D you mentioned above, is that the actual name of the herbicides?
Thanks very much once again.
Akintola is broad leaved like cassava so selective cannot work. Stick to paraquat brands.
24Dis the chemical name but different brand have different names
Re: What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please by Ameboperoo(m): 5:34pm On Oct 14, 2018
If I may ask, what operations did u carry out during the land prep? What chemical did you spray and when ?

(1) (Reply)

Finding Your Own Niche In Agriculture!! / What Crop Can I Plant In This Month (august) Of The Year) / Oil Palm Seedling( Dwarf Tenera) For Sale with picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.