Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,960 members, 7,799,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) (10750 Views)

Igbos In Ashanti Region Oppose Installation Of Chief / Nigerian (igbo) & African American / UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by sexylisa(f): 3:35am On Apr 07, 2007
I'm a ghanain lady that has been dating an igbo guy for 2 years now. he has promised to marry me and we both love each other very much. i get along very well with his family except one of his brothers. my mum and my sister also like him very much because he is very respectful and funny and i know my mum would have no problem with him marrying me. my dad doesn't know about this relationship because he doesn't live in the USA with us and has not visited for more than 2 years. I know my dad would not object just as my mum wouldn't. He told me right from the beginning that his dad told him and his siblings to marry from their"village" when they were young but none of his siblings did it. one of them is even married to a white lady. sometimes, some of the people from his place try to show the usual discriminating attitute and i just ignore them. i've also had some of my ghanain friends say words like" why would an ashanti girl date a nigerian"? and other stupid stuff like he would never marry you because u are not from the same place. my family is liberal and i was raised to love people irrespective of where they come from. my friends are from different parts of the world and i don't just stick to Ghanaians. however, i sometimes feel lik ehid dad might not agree to him marrying me because i don't think he is as liberal as his mum and others are. he has already told me that he doesn't care what anybody wants and only cares aba his feelings. i have agreed to relocate to nigeria with him after some years but i sometimes get a little bit confused. ANYWAY IM 100% SURE OF HIS LOVE AND HAVE NO DOUBTS. What do y'all think?
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by sexylisa(f): 3:40am On Apr 07, 2007
His dad doesn't live here so does not know about our relationship. im not sutre if his anybody has told him or not.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Seun(m): 4:20am On Apr 07, 2007
It seems as if you have a healthy and serious thing going on. Please keep flying the good flag of unity and love. wink

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by swing4real(m): 9:02am On Apr 07, 2007
Since you are so sure about him then you have no problem.Just stick to him
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Ndipe(m): 9:29am On Apr 07, 2007
Since you are Ashanti, have you told your boyfriend, that in case both of you get married and have kids, there is the probability that the kids would hail from your side, and not his side? I am aware that your Ashanti culture confers the mother's heritage (and not the father's) on the children. Please educate us, if this practise is still widely practised.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by sexylisa(f): 5:25pm On Apr 07, 2007
Its true that we still trace our lineage thru the matrilineal side. his people also trace thru the patrilineal side and we often make jokes about how we are going to fight about our children's identity in future. I've agreed to move to nigeria with him and he promised to be visiting Ghana with me on a regular basis. he has been to Ghana b4 on more than one occasion so. and he liked it so , the only thing im interested in is for my children to be accepted by their families in both countries. LOL
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by busygirl(f): 7:15pm On Apr 07, 2007
It's your love for each-other that really matters. ANYWAYS', I wish you lots of love and happiness in your relationship.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Ezinwannem: 7:38pm On Apr 07, 2007
well, why don't you suggest to him to tell his father about the 2 of u and you guys intentions to get married and see hwat happens? Do u have an idea if his brother that got married to a white girl is in a good relationshp with the father? good luck and make sure u ask those questions and as an igbo gurl maself, gurl, marriage in igbo land aint a play cuz u r married 2 da entire family both extended, infact, the UMUNNA (KINSMEN) is like da judge and their say is more or less final, lol

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Seun(m): 7:45pm On Apr 07, 2007
You have not met his entire family, yet you've agreed to move to Nigeria. Hmm, could this be a potential problem?
You need to experience the country and meet his relatives in the country before agreeing to move here!!
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by sexylisa(f): 8:43pm On Apr 07, 2007
i've met most of them.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Seun(m): 9:32pm On Apr 07, 2007
Then all that's left is to visit Nigeria. Good luck! kiss
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by ultrafem(f): 4:47am On Apr 08, 2007
hmm i see trouble ahead, goodluck sha.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by ebeledi(m): 6:19am On Apr 08, 2007
good luck with ya naija man

naija and ghana stand up
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by doncartel: 3:30pm On Apr 08, 2007
sounds like a perfect match wit one or two minor issues[as usual].am igbo as well n uv got to learn da language to be accepted by me.kedu
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by highveld(m): 3:45pm On Apr 08, 2007
Since you guys truly love each other then your different nationalities shouldn't be a problem.
More to that Ghana and Nigeria are neighbours so if you're visiting Nigeria or him visiting Ghana, it will be like visiting another city. Believe me if there is true love between you two guys then it will be like moving from Kumasi to Accra or from Lagos to Enugu.
Forget about the Igbo culture and the strong beliefs about marriage. There are lots of Igbos married to Cameroonians and even to South Africans who are far away down the continent. But you better marry this guy fast before he finds an Igbo girl. I'm sure if he finds an Igbo girl with all your qualities etc he would go for her. Please hurry up.
But I shouldn't just generalize, perhaps your man truly wants you and only you.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by laudate: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2007
highveld:

Forget about the Igbo culture and the strong beliefs about marriage. There are lots of Igbos married to Cameroonians and even to South Africans who are far away down the continent. But you better marry this guy fast before he finds an Igbo girl. I'm sure if he finds an Igbo girl with all your qualities etc he would go for her. Please hurry up.

Ah, forget ke? My Ashanti friend, pray hard first, before you go any further, so that 'cultural familiarity,' will not overtake your good intentions. Good luck!
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by sexylisa(f): 8:20pm On Apr 10, 2007
thanks
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Seun(m): 12:42am On May 14, 2007
Moved to culture section
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by closetpervert(m): 12:58am On May 14, 2007
obo is obo - oko na oko - where it comes from matters less - no one carry gold for head.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by fadal(m): 1:01am On May 14, 2007
yall igbo people should not get mix with those people for real they ugly and black as Bleep.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by romeo(m): 10:56am On May 15, 2007
fadal:

yall igbo people should not get mix with those people for real they ugly and black as mess.

dumb ass!! who are you to tell people whom to mix with? and what colour are you? big fool

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by YOUNGDICEs(m): 1:04pm On May 15, 2007
@romeo

AM DICE$,IGBO PEOPLE LOOK WAY BETTER THEN THOSE MONKEYS,AND DON'T CALL ME A DUMB ASS AGAIN CUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by monshege: 3:16pm On May 15, 2007
oh great, Romeo, what are you doing causing problem here grin
@ poster,
there is always one hitch or the other when inter tribal or inter, whatever union is involved. if you and your man would be able to stand together for each other as one, then you may be able to overcome the naysayers. it takes courage (not love) to do that. wish you the best
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by ebeledi(m): 10:18pm On May 15, 2007
i know a beautiful ashanti girl
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by globalaid(m): 8:17am On May 17, 2007
I am also a Nigeria and married to an {ewe} Ghanaian. love is what that matters, if you both love eachother, you can weather the storm and move mountain. I love my wife so much and she also do the same. We have been together for 5 years and it is like yesterday.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Ndipe(m): 3:02am On May 18, 2007
Globalaid, you don visit Ewe part of Ghana before, like Ho and Keta?
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by globalaid(m): 8:58am On Jun 11, 2007
Ndipe, i have not visit Ho or Keta with my wife before but i have drove past those places and me and my wife has also visited some places in Ghana like Takoradi and Elubo together, ghanaians are a peace loving people and i am so blessed having a wonderful wife and a good in law like them.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by OgaMadam(f): 2:48pm On Jun 11, 2007
if its good then go for the gold.

sounds like your relationship could actually work.

i can only live mine to God.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by Oracle(m): 1:46am On Sep 03, 2007
It's obvious that you love him and he probably does but don't let it seem like it's a do or die affair or like if you don't marry him, you'll not survive.
Try as much as you can to convince your parents, but you must be cautious.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by oothel: 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2012
Hello,

This post has been a while. I would like to know how it turned our between the couple. I am Nigerian and I just moved to Ghana and the info might be useful to me.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by ifyalways(f): 6:12pm On Jan 15, 2012
^Are u dating a Ghanaian already or u planning on doing so soon?

Hope you are not doing "Sakawa" for dat side?Stay away from the under-aged girls sha.Ghanaians might appear sexually liberated/out spoken/daring but don't be decieved,you get 'em preggars,you pay for it big time.
Re: Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) by oothel: 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2012
ifyalways:

^Are u dating a Ghanaian already or u planning on doing so soon?

Hope you are not doing "Sakawa" for dat side?Stay away from the under-aged girls sha.Ghanaians might appear sexually liberated/out spoken/daring but don't be decieved,you get 'em preggars,you pay for it big time.

I dont know what 'Sakawa' is o. And I dont subscribe to sex/preggar before marriage by the way. Just wanna know whether the subjects of this topic succeeded. If they did, they ought to be married by now aint it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Brief History Of King Jaja Of Opobo / Igbo Bia Suọ Olu Inyì :: Come And Speak Your Dialects / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.