Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:13 AM

Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. (3624 Views)

Sweet And Secret Valentine By Rose Chibimobim Akpabio (seductive And Exciting) / You First Loved Me (Christian Romance) By Rose Akpabio / A Bride For November By Rose Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 8:22pm On Oct 14, 2018
Hello guys, I am back again. Missed you guys. Follow me closely and let's finish this together.

No plagiarism.
No complaining.
It's a complete story.

Just stay with me. If you have any problem, you know how to contact me.
aishayasmina@yahoo.com
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 8:22pm On Oct 14, 2018
Indigo Hassan peered out of the window of the massive kitchen, the morning time was her favorite. Indigo stared at the racoons jumping from one coconut tree to the other, they also fought for nuts. She stared at the colorful birds that swamped the beach palms that fenced the Shola residence.
‘Hmm, so beautiful.’ She purred dreamily while admiring the blueness of the skies and the fairness of the weather.
The light sun rays penetrated the window and fell on her caramel brown skin, her eyes took in their golden rays and substituted them for her deep brown color Her face was a map of smiles as she caught one of the racoons staring at her, it was so beautiful and she couldn’t keep herself from waving.
‘Hello there! You’re so pretty.’ She smiled and wished she had a good phone so she could take a picture of the animal and share it with her Facebook friends.
‘You should be working on breakfast, you know how mean Moremi can get especially when she is hungry.’
The sharp voice and the terseness with which the words were spoken interrupted Indigo’s precious morning fellowship with the works of nature.
‘Huh?’ She snapped out of her communication with the racoon and turned to face Anabel.
‘Well, the potatoes are still on fire, she likes them really soft. I’m still boiling.’ She quickly explained.
‘And the tea? You know she likes it before breakfast?’ Anabel asked.
‘Water on fire too.’ Indigo clasped her hands together and bowed her head, a mocking gesture that always cracked Anabel up, but when Anabel ignored her, she knew something was wrong.

Indigo took a deep breath and marched towards the pot where she had boiled the sweet Potatoes, she fetched a fork from the cutlery basket and cut into the potatoes, to see if they were well done.
‘Almost ready, ten minutes tops.’ She announced confidently, but Anabel seemed uninterested.
She was working on the spinach leaves that were meant for the sauce, while humming a song quietly.
Indigo decided she was in a bad mood and needed some space.
Indigo and Anna had been friends for six months since Indigo started working for the family of Chief Martins Shola, who was the Chief Judge of the High Court for the State of Jos.
She had bonded with Anabel easily as she had no friend and sibling, she never knew her parents and had grown up with her grandfather, whom she fondly called, “Papa.”

Anabel was taller than she was, she had a milky white skin, reddish lips and light brown eyes, hence the sobriquet, “Mamiwata,” which Indigo fondly used whenever she was teasing her.
Indigo ignored her friend too and pondered on her own problems, she was not the type to carry her problems on her sleeves or allow her moods to affect her relationship with the people around her.
No, Indigo was far from that. Papa had thought her to treat people the way she would love to be treated; and she hated it when others made her feel uncomfortable just because they were having a bad day, just like Anabel was doing.

They were both College Students at the College of Building and Architecture, Jos, but they were schooled part-timely, due to financial constraints.
Indigo was a student of Contemporary Architectural designs, a course she had always wanted to read. She had fallen in love with buildings since when she was a kid and her grandfather noticed this. He didn’t have much money to cater for her needs, but he sold his personal belongings to help her pursue her dreams.

‘Papa…’ tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of her grandfather’s love for her. He loved her more than anything in the world and he could give up his own life so that she would live.
He had been a Security man for the Forest Reserve, but due to his health condition, he had retired early and without pension, so she had started fending for herself from the age of fifteen.
Indigo had worked five places before the Shola Residence and they had always sacked her for one reason.
‘Indigo!’ She shuddered as Moremi’s loud scream pierced her heart.
When she realized, what was going on, she noticed something was burning. The kitchen was stuffy and an acrid smell of burnt potato filled the air.
‘Oh no, no no…’ her heart was beating fast, she quickly turned to Anabel to ask for some help, but she noticed she was all alone in the kitchen. Anabel must have left while she was still thinking about her grandfather.

She turned off the cylinder and scooped a generous amount of water from the water drum into the pot. When she looked in, she grimaced. Everything was completely burnt! The potatoes had been burnt brown and this was her fault.
Moremi Shola was her boss’ daughter and she was a no nonsense type of lady. She was authoritative, had a cruel tongue and had no respect for the domestic staff.
How would she explain to her that her breakfast was burnt?
‘What am I going to do?’ Indigo could hear light footsteps approaching the kitchen. She poured in more water to repel the odor of burnt potatoes.

‘Indigo!’ Moremi reached the kitchen, she stood at the entrance hands akimbo.
‘Madam, Good morning.’ Indigo smiled sheepishly.
‘I don’t care about the morning, I am hungry and what’s that smell in here?’ Moremi sniffed the air.
Indigo’s mouth was parched, she was terribly nervous just from the icy stare she got from Moremi’s large brown eyes.
‘Are you deaf?’ Moremi raised a brow.
‘Yes, um, no.’ Indigo shook her head.

‘I need my breakfast in five minutes, otherwise consider yourself fired!’ Moremi hissed angrily and stormed out of the kitchen. She never liked Indigo from day one. There was something about her dancing brown eyes and the way she blabbed whenever she was talking.

‘No!’ A tear trickled down Indigo’s cheek as she stared at the pot, she couldn’t get fired another time because of her clumsiness. It had taken her six months to get this job and it was a good one!

‘What is it? And why is the kitchen so stuffy?’ Anabel returned with more leaves, she had a smile on her face now.
Indigo couldn’t reply, her tears had taken the place of words, she slumped to the tiled floor and began to weep.
It didn’t take Anabel long to understand what trouble her friend was in, that explained why the kitchen reeked of burning substance.
‘Does Moremi know?’ Anabel asked gently.
‘She wants it in five minutes else I am getting fired. I don’t know what to do.’ Indigo wept as she remembered how worried her grandfather was, anytime she lost a job. He had sold everything personal to him and there was no more to sell.

‘You know what? Just make her a cup of coffee and tell her I went to get more leaves from the garden for the sauce.’ Anabel thought up an idea.
But Indigo was not convinced it would work out, ‘That doesn’t solve the problem, she wants her potatoes!’

‘Just make her the coffee, I’ll take it from there and be really sweet and submissive when talking to her, you know how much she likes that.’ Anabel walked towards her best friend and gave her a hug, ‘I am sorry I was so cold earlier, Seun broke up with me, but now I’ve thought about it, he was doing me a favor. Just give Moremi her coffee, everything would be fine. We have a lot to talk about.’

Indigo felt better after talking to her best friend, she had faith that she was not going to lose her job that day. She mustered up courage and strength and moved to make the coffee.
She added no cream but a little honey, Moremi loved her coffee black and she was not about to get the lady of the house upset.
She served it in a tray and trotted out of the kitchen in shivering legs, not knowing what awaited her in the dining room.
She overheard Moremi making a phone call, from what Indigo observed, Moremi was a very busy person as she was mostly on the phone giving out orders. Though she didn’t know a thing about Moremi’s line of work, she admired her hard-working nature and her serious mindedness.

She was a step away from reaching Moremi whose back was to her when her phone rang. She had wanted to ignore it at first, but she remembered she was having a lecture earlier today, maybe the Professor in charge had given a test or something. She decided it was necessary to check things out for herself.
She gently transferred the tray into her left palm and placed the phone hurriedly against her ears.

‘Hello…’
‘Indi is that you?’
‘Yes?’ the voice sounded familiar and serious.
‘It’s me, Sonia, you need to come to Bethsaida immediately.’
Indigo’s brows came together as she pondered on the woman’s weird request, Bethsaida was one of the biggest hospitals in Jos and it was close to the Low-Cost Estate where she lived with her grandfather.

‘I don’t understand, what’s happening there?’ Indigo asked.
‘It’s your grandfather, he vomited blood and slumped. He needs you urgently. Hurry before it’s too late.’

‘No’ Her heart stopped as she imagined the old man in pain, the unexpected news jolted her heart and unsettled her at once, her hands gave way and the tray and its contents crashed into pieces before her.
Just in time, Moremi finished her call and moved her head to see where the sound was coming from.
Her eyes flashed angrily as she stared at one of the oldest coffee pots in the house being smashed into unrecognizable pieces.
‘You are fired!’
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by FortunateB(f): 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2018
Our very own Angelsss is back again with another blockbuster.

Waiting patiently for this.
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Chumzypinky(f): 8:00am On Oct 15, 2018
hahaha.. This is when u know your village people are not happy with ur destiny

1 Like

Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Missnande(f): 11:00am On Oct 15, 2018
Beautiful! Biko who sells popcorn around here?
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by boosiryormi(f): 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2018
how much popcorn u wan buy@ missnande
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Missnande(f): 2:02pm On Oct 15, 2018
boosiryormi:
how much popcorn u wan buy@ missnande

Gimme 450 own, make it extra milky. Shey you get POS ba?
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 9:36am On Oct 16, 2018
The Hajjo Residence…
He stopped and watched his younger sister, Chalya and their father playing the violin together. Chalya had ears for good music but she never learned how to play any instrument unlike himself. He had learned how to play the violin expertly, he had mastered the strings and the chords and he also knew how to blow the flute.

‘Handel would weep if he heard that…’ Phillip descended from the stairs gently, taking all of the time that he needed, he was majestic in his double black ensemble.
He had dark and wavy black hair, his eyes were penetrating and stern, they were deep brown complimenting his mahogany complexion. He had a firm jawline that was only flexed whenever he was talking to his family or laughing, most of the times Phillip Hajjo wore a frown.

‘That’s mean, you know how difficult playing “Halleluiah” is.’ Chalya replied , then tossed the violin once her brother reached the dining table. They had been waiting for him, as they always had their meals together. This tradition of eating together had started right from the time their mother was alive, they did it to keep her memory alive.

‘Not as difficult as drawing a business plan, running an Estate Management empire and taking decisions which others were afraid to take…’ when he said this, he paused and gave his father a knowing look, then quickly added, ‘Good morning father…’

Alex Hajjo knew his son was trying to send him a message, ‘I trust you slept well…’
‘Yes father and you?’ Phillip poured himself a glass of water first.
‘I slept very well, thank you.’ The man pulled a chair and joined his kids.
He was an older version of Phillip, and they shared a lot of things in common, but Phillip lacked sympathy, the kind that Nigerians yearned for. When it came to business, he was very ruthless and never allowed sentiments to blind his decision making.

‘What have you concluded about Hajjo Estates?’ Alex asked his son.
‘Can you just stop you two? Let’s not talk business here, we should just enjoy this tomato puree and baked bread that Mrs. Hawa prepared for us, don’t you think?’ Chalya glared at her brother. She knew what would follow this discussion, would be a heated argument, between her brother and her father as they held divergent views when it came to business management.

‘Then you are not ready to run a company. When you climb the ropes, you’ll know that business must be discussed always.’ Phillip winked at his sister.
He was not afraid of facing his father like in the past, he had successfully built and managed his own engineering company, which he named, “P.I.E” for ten years now. He was a billionaire and his company was the best road construction company in Africa and the fifty seventh largest in the world.
However, his father’s estate management empire had fallen apart since the death of their mother and he had returned to town for one purpose: to restore it.

‘To your question dad, I have taken a decision. I spoke with my lawyer this morning.’ He fetched a knife and sliced a portion of the freshly baked bread neatly into his plate.

‘So fast…’ the man frowned.
‘Yes, we do not have time to waste.’ Phillip replied.

‘Hmm, I want you to tread carefully Phillip. I know you want to do good, but you may just end up cutting yourself with your own knife.’ The man’s words were gentle and calculated.
Phillip had always thought his father a weakling in everything, including business.
‘I always take the best decisions. And what I have concluded is for your interest, as it stands I have a legacy but what is remaining of yours are just tattered houses that need a truckload of renovation.’ He scooped a spoon of the puree and watered it on his bread.

Chalya didn’t like the arrogant tone with which her brother addressed their father, ‘That’s enough now Phillip, I am sure father knows what’s best for him.’ She was wary of their constant fights and arguments.
‘I like your brother’s idea…let him finish.’ The older man poured himself a glass of water.

‘The lawyer I hired is an old friend, Moremi Martins, She is an estate lawyer and she knows a great deal of what I am about to do. I will also need the services of Uncle Usman…’ Phillip was about to say more when his father interrupted him from completing his sentence.

‘You cannot work with Usman, I do not like him.’ Alex hated that his son would have anything to do with his younger brother.
‘But father, he is your brother…he is family and if anyone is to be given this great responsibility, it should be someone close, someone that understands the vision.’ Phillip carefully explained.
But the old man wouldn’t have none of it, ‘I don’t care about Usman, find someone else. I offered him contact worth several millions and he carted away with the money, what makes you think that he is a changed person now?’
Phillip was well aware of this family history, but he didn’t care. Uncle Usman had sufficient knowledge about buildings and their architectural designs, and that knowledge was what he was after, it would prove useful in his expedition.
‘Father, I understand that you do not like what I am about to do, but I have already told Uncle Usman about this, I cannot pull him out now, it is too late.’ With that, Phillip gulped a generous quantity of juice and rose to his feet, he took his business appointments easily and breakfast had already eaten into that time.

‘So soon?’ Chalya, who was on Industrial Training at his company and at the same time working temporarily as his Personal assistant rose to her feet and joined him, knowing how much her brother hated to run late.

‘Yes, goodbye father, I shall give you feedback on all my meetings today.’ Phillip flashed his father a fake smile, one that didn’t reach his eyes and stormed out without collecting the old man’s response.

Chalya felt really bad that Phillip would portray this level of arrogance to their father, ‘Dad, I’m sorry we have to leave you …just be good. I’ll learn how to play Handel Messiah properly when I am back.’ She leaned forward and pecked her dad on his cheek.

‘Thanks honey, just make sure you always watch your brother’s back.’ The man smiled, he loved the way Chalya was built. She was not as hardened as her brother, who had totally changed after their mother’s death. She was just like him, sympathetic and kind.

‘I always will.’ She rinsed her mouth with a glass of water, then rushed out to meet her brother who had already started the car.

Phillip was annoyed that his father couldn’t utter a word of appreciation for what he was about to do for the dilapidated remains of his company. Instead, he was making a fuss about Uncle Usman’s appointment to work on the renovating team.
‘Were you planning to leave me?’ Chalya hopped into the car.
‘Maybe.’ He grumbled.

‘Okay Phillip stop the car, what’s wrong with you? Stop this car!’ She snapped at him, she had enough of his arrogance.
He knew he was losing it, he knew what was really eating him up inside but he was not ready to deal with it.
‘I hate him, I hate the way he runs things. I am even doing him a favor but he feels he has this entitlement mentality. It’s so annoying.’ He pulled the key out of the ignition and buried his face in his palms.

Chalya’s eyes clouded with tears, she knew he was talking about their father.
‘Why do you hate him so much Phillip? Is there something you’re not telling me?’

He took a deep breath, then nodded, ‘I was there when our mother was attacked by that man in the forest reserve where we’d gone for a visit, dad was equally there, but the minute he saw that man coming with a gun, he scurried off like a weakling…’ He wished he could shut is mind from presenting the tragedy of his mother’s untimely death.

Phillip had become embittered that his father could not do anything to save her, instead he had run away leaving his family at the mercy of an assassin who later shot his mother.
‘He is weak! And if you continue to follow his footsteps, you’ll end up like him at sixty-five.’

Tears dripped uncontrollably from Chalya’s eyes, she had never heard this version of the story, ‘Is this why you hate him so much?’ She sobbed.
‘I don’t hate him, I just hate that he is weak.’ Phillip replied, then decided he had dwelt enough on the weakness of his father.

‘We have to go now, I have a lot of meetings, do you mind running through them again?’ He asked Chalya, this time as his personal assistant.
She quickly opened the zip of her bag and pulled out a notebook where she recorded all of her brother’s meeting.
‘You have ten meetings this week…’ she started.
‘Three today with the heads of department of PIE; You have one with the spoke person of the Low Cost neighborhood; one with Moremi; one with Uncle Usman…’
He raised a hand to stop her, ‘I think the spoke person of the low cost neighborhood is where I should begin…what’s his name again?’ Phillip asked.
‘Um, Mai Hassan, are you sure it’s a good idea considering we are about to break bad news to them?’ Chalya was concerned about his safety, but Phillip shrugged it off, ‘It’s only a bad idea to those who cannot afford this. I’ll meet later tomorrow with Barf, the chief supplier of all that we would need for this project, make sure you contact him. It’s not a serious meeting, just for discussion sake.’

Chalya scribbled down some details on her notebook, ‘Um, would you like the venue to be at a very private place or?’ She left her question open so she could get his suggestion.
Phillip rubbed his chin for some seconds, ‘Coffee shop would be fine, just fix us at any available coffee shop, close to PIE building; then you can fix another date with Moremi on that same day.’
Chalya scoffed at the mention of Moremi, unknown to her, Phillip had caught her expression.
‘Come on Chalya, we only slept together once and we were drunk at a party, that doesn’t count.’ Phillip averted his sister’s accusing gaze, ‘Okay, twice, the second time was a mistake.’ He admitted.

‘Uhuh?’ Chalya pinned her round and seducing light brown eyes on him.
‘Okay, we slept together four times, she was really good in bed but she wanted something I was not and I am not ready to give.’ He offered her his final confession.

‘Talk about mixing business with pleasure.’ She used his own words against him.
‘Darling, this is not pleasure, I am not sleeping with Moremi Martin again, would you like to bet?’ Phillip grinned.
Chalya shook her head immediately, ‘No, because I know you’ll sleep with her again. Whenever she is around, you become her toy.’
Her response made him reel with laughter, ‘You can’t blame a man when the honeypot is good.’ He winked and started the car.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 9:38am On Oct 16, 2018
Dear fans, if you want to read ahead, google "Indigo part 1 by Rose Akpabio or by Davina Diaries." And all the episodes will be arranged.

www.davinadiaries.com
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by steph270(f): 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2018
Me i'm just waiting for Part 3 can't wait any longer
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by prisomic(f): 7:24am On Oct 18, 2018
Well done ma'am,Am with you already cuz I know it's going to b a jolly good ride !!!! More wisdom to u!!!
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 12:16am On Oct 19, 2018
Indigo had returned home with her grandfather who was better than she had met him at the hospital. The doctor had given him some drugs that would offer him relief for a few days, before the shortness of breath returned. She was restless. Indigo was distraught by the thoughts that plagued her mind and numbed her bones.
If each inhaled costed a hundred thousand Naira? In a year, her grandfather needed about a million and two thousand Naira to survive. Where would she get that sort of money from?
She had lost her job and she was just in her third year in school. Everything was taking a wrong turn and she felt afraid of what the future would look like.

‘You have been quiet my child since we returned from the Hospital, you have not told me what the doctor said to you.’ The old man dropped the spoon with which he swallowed the hot pepper soup that his granddaughter had prepared for him.

She couldn’t tell him the truth, the doctor had advised her to let him know about his medical condition, but she was not ready to tell him yet, not now, till he was fully recovered.
She leaned against the table and touched his wrinkled arm, ‘Papa, the doctor says you will be fine in no time. He just asked me about your wife, and I explained to him that grandmother died some years ago.’ She lied.
The old man grabbed his spoon and stared into her eyes, she had never lied to him before, ‘Why was he concerned about my wife?’
‘Erm, Papa, he knows that I am a student. He was worried that you will have no one to take care of you.’ She smiled.
He wanted to believe her. By God, he really tried, but he knew Indigo more than he knew herself, so he let her wallow in her deceit. He knew he wasn’t alright, but he just couldn’t say what it was that troubled his system.

‘Your soup tastes nice, you cook like your mother.’ He rubbed her palms and returned her smile.
Indigo loved it whenever she complimented him, ‘We have never really talked about her, even about my own father.’ She pulled her hands away and crossed them against her chest.
Though she had seen them in pictures, she had always wondered what they were like in character.
‘Not tonight Indi,’ the old man suddenly lost his appetite and got up from the table.
‘Did I upset you Papa?’ he had never acted this way.
He shook his head firmly and marched steadily till he reached his bedroom.
Indigo felt unhappy seeing that he had not eaten half of the soup or chewed the meat in it, she had a strong feeling that she had said something to upset her grandfather. What if he had sensed that she had told him lies?

‘God please take this cup away from me.’ She prayed and gathered the dishes on the table.
So many things went through her mind as she packed the plates. If she couldn’t find herself a job soon enough, her grandfather would get to know she had lost the job at the Shola residence and that alone could plunge him into bad health.
Then there was expensive inhaler, there was no way to afford it. But she was ready not to let her grandfather die.

Indi tossed the plates aside and sank into the chair. Tears soaked her face, worry ate at her heart. She was in dire need of help, but everything seemed to work against her.
She quickly wiped her face when she heard a knock on the door. She was not expecting anyone, so she guessed her neighbor had called to see how her Papa was doing.
She cleared her throat and asked in a sweet voice, ‘Who is there?’
‘Open up, it’s Annabel, I’ve got good news.’
Indigo froze as she stared at the clean Naira notes on her bed, Annabel had fetched an envelope from her purse and dropped it on the bed.
‘Why are you acting weird? This money Indi, take it…’ Annabel laughed.
Indigo couldn’t shake off the astonishment that had settled over her, she had told Annabel about her grandfather’s condition but she had not expected this.

‘This is a hundred thousand naira and we both know that is a lot of money, where did you get it from? I can’t take it.’ Indigo insisted. She was desperate for help, but she would never let go of her values to accept help from an unknown source.
Annabel knew how disciplined her friend was, she knew that Indigo was never the type to compromise, so she understood her behavior.
‘Well, one of my rich Uncles who lives in America sent it to me for school, this is just part of the money and I would love for you to have it.’ Anabelle begged her to take the money.

Indigo was not satisfied with her best friend’s explanation as Anabelle had never mentioned anything about her American uncle before now, but she had no choice, she had to take the money and purchase the inhaler as soon as she could but on one condition.
‘I don’t know what I could do without you Anabelle, Thank you so much, but I will pay you back. This is a loan and I promise to pay once I have a good job.’ She promised and she meant what she had said.

Anabelle laughed it off, ‘Don’t be proud Indi, you still need another hundred thousand to buy the next one. Why don’t you accept this gift and forget about paying me back? What are friends for? I promise you that this money is from my uncle, you’ll get to meet him soon, I promise.’ She touched Indigo’s chin firmly and gave her a peck.
Indigo felt relaxed, she couldn’t contain the excitement that bubbled within her. She packed the notes and began to spray them, one after the other on Anabelle’s forehead.
‘I am a rich girl. I am a rich girl!’ She hopped on her feet.
‘Indi?’ Anabelle called out softly.
‘Yes?’ Indigo arched a brow, ‘What is it?’
‘I have something else for you,’ Anabelle quickly drew out a paper from her purse and handed it to her friend, ‘I found it in the classroom, I think it’s legit. I have been to that place once.’
Indigo ran her eyes over the paper Ad. It was an advert for a waiter at a famous Coffee Shop in town, “Davina’s Coffee Shop.” But she didn’t like the idea of walking as a waiter here.
‘The pay is small, what if I went back to the Shola Residence and begged Moremi to help me with a job? Don’t you think that’s better?’
Anabelle understood that her friend needed a lot of money for her school and to cater for her grandfather’s needs.
‘Hey, it’s just for a start. Why don’t you try it out? It’s better than working as a maid. You get to have some free time and there are shifts, which will afford you enough time to attend lectures.’ Anabelle tried to get her friend to see the good side of this job.
Indigo slumped on the bed, she had to stop complaining. Her friend had done more than enough for her and she had to be grateful for what she had.
‘I am sorry if I sounded ungrateful, but you really helped me. Thank you. You deserve a whole pot of goat peppersoup.’ Indigo teased.
Anabelle wrinkled her nose and began to sniff the air, ‘It’s something on fire for me already?’
Indigo moved closer to her and began to tickle her, Anabelle laughed till tears fell down her face.
‘That’s for ignoring me in the morning.’ Indigo released her and ran towards the door.
‘You are so crazy!’ Anabelle wiped her face with the back of her palm and continued to stare at her best friend who was filled with mischief. She was glad Indigo was happy again. She loved Indigo with everything in her, it was rare to be friends with someone with such a beautiful and pure heart.
She was about to ask after her grandfather when she noticed a black patch on Indigo’s neck, it was a tattoo. She had never seen it before.
‘Why are you looking at me?’ Indigo knew her friend’s eyes were on her neck, but she couldn’t tell what Anabelle was looking at.
Anabelle abandoned her purse and walked towards the door, Indigo thought she was coming to play a prank on her, and was ready to run, but stopped when Anabelle asked her to.
‘I never knew you had a tattoo…’ Anabelle allowed her fingers to search the skin of Indigo’s neck.
The tattoo didn’t look modern, it was rare. The black patch seemed like a micro sized mammal and she didn’t know what to make out of it.
‘I thought you did, yes I do.’ Indigo nodded, feeling surprised, that her friend had not seen the tattoo before.
She noticed the black patch on her skin since she was six years old. She had been terrified at first, out of curiosity, she had grabbed a little eraser to wipe the black patch off, but her Papa had caught her in time.

‘My grandfather explained that my father took me away from my mother when I was a child. When he later returned me here, they noticed the black patch. So I guess, my father did this to me.’ She felt the place where the tattoo was.
‘So what does it mean?’ Anabelle stroked the skin covered by the black patch.
‘Papa said it was a cow and ended the conversation. I never asked him anything else.’ Indigo explained.
Anabelle was satisfied with the explanation, she decided to let go of the matter as she knew how sensitive Indigo was whenever her parents were mentioned.
‘You know what baby? Let’s get to the kitchen, so you could get me that delicious pot of Pepper Soup.’ Anabelle grinned, and began to encircle her tummy with her fingers.
The forest was dense with the cry of animals. Monkeys jumped from tree to tree in excitement. Birds built themselves a colony in the skies. It was so beautiful, so pure, so natural.
Little Phillip clutched tightly to his mother’s hand as they moved deeper into the Forest Reserve with his father solidly behind them.
‘It’s so beautiful out here mommy, I want to live in this forest.’ Phillip had said, his innocent imagination made his mother laugh, ‘Darling, but you know that cannot be possible except you become a hunter, but then, hunters still return to their home after the haunt.
He smiled and held grabbed her hands tighter.
Soon, she had taken the camera out of her bag and they started to take pictures in the Forest Reserve.

However, their fun session came to an end when a wild man jumped out of nowhere and rushed towards them with a long barrel. He moved like a hyena, swift and unexpectedly.
“If you move, I shoot.” The man bellowed.
‘Mummy! Let us run.’ Little Phillip began to cry, but his mother couldn’t do a thing as fear and anxiety had pinned her to one spot.
‘Daddy? Daddy let us run.’ He turned back to convince his daddy about running when he noticed that the man had gone.
By now, the gunman had reached where they both stood, without words spoken, he pulled the trigger that snuffed the life and light out of his mother, plunging her into a darkness that consumed her whole being.
One that would never give way to light.
‘Mummy, wake up, you have a wound in your forehead.’ He bent and began to shake her.
The killer pointed the gun at the boy, then pulled his trigger. A loud sound filled the air as the bullets dug into the little boy.

‘Wake up Phillip! It’s 7 A.M and you’re going run late for the meeting.’ Chalya shook her brother violently, knowing how important the meeting with Mr. Barf was.
Phillip had been lost in a world unknown, it had been difficult to recover from the bullet wound in his belly which now dripped of blood. He felt someone shaking him, touching him and crying out his name.
‘Phillip, come on…’ Chalya had never seen her brother in this trance like state before, it got her scared.
But he found his way back to reality when her soft hands touched his forehead. Phillip’s eyes snapped open and he stretched his hand and straightened on the bed. Sweat poured out profusely from his forehead, even his chest was not left out of the generous moisture.

‘Chalya…’ he held her small hands in his and blinked, panting like he had just escaped a monster.
It was obvious that her brother had just snapped out of a nightmare, he eyes were consumed with fear and his breathing was heavy.
‘What is it Phillip? What dream did you have?’ she asked in a cool voice. Phillip was the only sibling that she had and she would never be the same if anything happened to him.
In fact, she was always unhappy whenever Phillip was unhappy, they were that close.
‘Nothing.’ He replied and got out of bed. He walked straight to his dressing mirror and had a good look at himself. He touched his lower abdomen, the place where that monster had shot, but it was not punctured. He was alright. He quickly reminded himself that it was just a dream.

‘You’re lying, what is the problem?’ Chalya showed up next to him. She was concerned about her only brother and she wanted to be a part of what troubled him.
Phillip knew that if he refused to tell her, she would pester his life to death.
‘It was about mom and how she died…it was so real, just the way it happened that day. We went to the reserve with dad and a man showed up from somewhere and shot at us…’ he closed his eyes, trying so hard to shut the memories of the past. He was not in the best place to handle this pain right now, he had important things to do.

Chalya cried silently beside her brother, ‘I am sorry you had to witness that and I am sorry on dad’s behalf, maybe you should talk to him. You could ask him why he ran away and left you and mother…he could have a good reason.’
Phillip scoffed and stared at his sister’s reflection, ‘I don’t want you to be like our father, don’t be naïve and cowardly. I want you to be strong and ambitious.’
Chalya knew where that advice was coming from. She knew her brother’s relationship with their father was strained, but she was prepared not to come in between them. She was prepared not to interfere, she prayed and hoped that they will find a meeting point someday.
‘Mother is in a better place, I know she is. You have to stop thinking about her Phillip, I want you to move on and enjoy life.’ Her tears had dried up, she was smiling now.
He understood why she was saying that, Chalya hated to see him sad or worried.
‘Don’t worry honey, I will get over her soon but it’s not that easy.’ He pulled her close to him and dropped a kiss on her hair. He loved his sister, she was his consolation and she had a little resemblance with their mother.

‘Okay, can we talk about work now? We’re both running late.’ She uncurled herself from his grip and pulled out a piece of paper from the pocket of her jean.
She listed the names of people and the places designated for the meetings.
‘So I was to meet Moremi today eh?’ He rubbed his chin.
‘Yes, that’s why I was surprised to see her at your office.’ Chalya replied.
‘Okay, who am I meeting first?’ Phillip strode towards his wardrobe and pulled out a yellow shirt and a blue jean, he felt like being casual today.
‘Mr. Barf, I marked him as very important. You know how punctual he is. He is probably at the Coffee shop waiting for you.’ Chalya said.
Phillip laughed a little, he noticed how tensed up she was.
‘Relax, I’ve got this.’
‘Okay then, I will go back to PIE and work on some files, call me if you need anything.’ She hurried towards the door. Now that Phillip won’t be at work, it was the perfect time for her to start her research on the indwellers of the low cost buildings.
She couldn’t tell him about this, it was her own secret. She didn’t know what Moremi was after, but she just had a bad feeling, seeing her stepping out of her brother’s office.
‘Why are you so eager to work? Don’t you have a violin class with day today?’ Phillip asked.
Chalya quickly shook her head, ‘It’s for dinner time, I have to go down. Bye sweet bro.’ She pecked him in the air and slammed the door behind her.
Phillip rolled his eyes, for once, he would spend the day without his sister’s interference. He thought about the foreigner he was about to meet, he had worked closely with Mr. Barf for many years. He knew that the man had a thing for Tobacco, so he would give him quality cigarettes as a gift to seal the contract he hoped they would both establish.

Suddenly, he dropped the clothes he carried as something flashed in his mind, he seemed to remember something from the dream. There had been something different he had noticed about the man that had killed his mother…it was a mark, it was a black drawing on his neck.
Phillip shook the thought away and decided he needed no flashbacks today, as it was going to be a very busy day for him.

1 Like

Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 19, 2018
Na indigo papa kill your mama oh!!
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by PrudySara(f): 11:28pm On Nov 30, 2018
Done with this story... I really enjoyed every bit of it. Well done Angelsss
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Ann2012(f): 2:32am On Dec 01, 2018
Another interesting piece from Angelsss
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Amos15: 11:20pm On Dec 01, 2018
Nice story. But no update till now thereby making the story less attractive to read
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by Angelsss(f): 12:32am On Dec 14, 2018
Amos15:
Nice story. But no update till now thereby making the story less attractive to read
the story has been completed. I'll share a link
Re: Her Royal Clumsiness By Rose Akpabio. by sekinatmi(f): 7:44am On Mar 15, 2019
Angelsss,please the link please
Angelsss:

the story has been completed. I'll share a link

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Kiss Is All It Takes (A Romantic +18 Story) / The Hills Of Emure: My Nysc Camp Story / What Happened To Hints And Hearts Magazines?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.