Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News (720 Views)

Fact Check: Did Peter Obi Build 10 Hospitals, Win Bill And Belinda Gates’ Award? / Peter Obi: I Only Have One Wristwatch (fact Check) / Peter Obi: Life Is Not About Owning Billions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by adekunlebaj: 2:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
LAST Friday, a former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, was announced as the running mate of Atiku Abubakar, in his race to the Presidential Villa, under the flag of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

This decision was celebrated by many as a wise choice not only because of Obi’s ethnic background, impressive academic profile, youthfulness and intelligence, but also because he is perceived as an upright, austere and no-nonsense leader.

However, about a year and a half ago, the former governor caused a huge stir on the internet over a suspicious — and, as it later turned out, controversial — claim he made while speaking at The Platform on Monday, May 1, 2017.

At the event, organised by the Covenant Christian Centre in Lagos, Obi said he did not have more than a single wristwatch which has served him for seventeen years. He also chipped in that he had only two pairs of black shoes that he always travelled with.

While narrating an experience with the Economic and Financials Crimes Commission (EFCC), which searched his apartment in Lagos while he was abroad, he said they could not find expensive clothing accessories there and accused him of not living in the house.

Explaining, he said to an applauding crowd: “I have said it to many Nigerians. Peter Obi wears only black shoes and I have two pairs of it anytime, and I travel with them.”

“The purpose of shoes is to protect the legs from being hurt,” he added. “Nothing else. Some people buy shoes of $200, $300. It’s a waste of time. I bought this from Marks and Spencer. $49.99. Finish.”

“They said, ‘Oh, we didn’t even see watches’,” he continued, referring to operatives of the EFCC.

“I have said it openly to everybody. This is the only watch I have,” he said, as he pulled his silver-coloured chain watch. “I have worn it for seventeen years… The purpose of watch is to keep time. Why would I keep a watch at home? Whose time is it keeping?”

A year before, at the 2016 edition of The Platform, Obi appeared to have used the same wristwatch for his presentation. But is that the only one that has graced his wrist for close to two decades?

Pictures emerged of other watches

Soon after the video of his assertion went viral on the internet, pictures of Peter Obi within the 17-year time frame were dug up to suggest the former governor might have goofed or outright told a lie to look good before the audience.

It is clear from some of these images that he has used at least two types of watches in the past decade, one with a brown leather strap and another with a silver-coated chain and dark clock plate.

Nigerians, especially loyalists to other parties, have started using Obi’s statement to suggest he is not fit for office, some suggesting his wristwatch must have been a chameleon.

“Peter Obi is a monumental pathological liar anyway,” tweeted Don Carleton (@PapazLagos) on Thursday. “Man used The Platform to hoodwink gullible youths into believing he’s one honest politician that only used two pairs of shoes and one wristwatch during his 8-year term as governor.”

Another Twitter user, Abdul Aziz Mu’azu (@mabziz), said: “No frivolous claim from Peter Obi can as much as amuse me again; after his ‘I have only one wristwatch’ stunt.”

Yet another Nigerian pleaded with the press to fact-check his claims, including that he has only one house located in Onitsha.

Jumping into conclusion?

While it is true the former governor could have meant to say as popularly interpreted: that the watch he wore to the event is the only one he had had for seventeen years, this is not the only semantic connotation.

His statement could as well be interpreted to mean he had had the watch for seventeen years, it was the only one he was using at the time, but he had used others too in the past.

This explanation was also suggested by Ikeogu Oke, award-winning poet and journalist, in a piece published by Vanguard newspaper.

“Even with such seemingly contradictory images, it would be wrong to draw the conclusion that Obi’s wristwatch claim was not true unless it could be proven that he owned any other wristwatch at the moment he made that claim or had not owned that particular one for seventeen years,” he wrote days after the incident.

“While not ruling other possible interpretations of the claim, as a student of semantics I can say that it can be rightly interpreted to mean that he might have owned other wristwatches together with that one in the past seventeen years, but that was the only one left,” he added.

“And so digging up images where he seemed to wear other wristwatches or actually did in the past seventeen years would not translate into his having lied.”

Obi himself, however, has yet to put up a defence or clarify the ambiguity in his statement. Perhaps with his new position as a vice presidential candidate, the matter will finally be laid to rest, in one direction or the other.

Source: https://www.icirnigeria.org/flashback-the-statement-many-wristwatches-upsetting-peter-obis-reputation/

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by nosiebaba(m): 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2018
You expect us to read this looong textbook because of watch. sad na wa.. How another man's watch is art texting some people's time is what I don't understand.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by basilo101: 2:50pm On Oct 15, 2018
Buhari claimed to own one mudhouse in Daura. All na politics

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by forgiveness: 2:52pm On Oct 15, 2018
Hahahaha! Atikulation of lies loading.. grin
Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 15, 2018
Nope he didnt lie..... he owns only one wristwatch at every particular period. So does a lot of people in particular "fathers". Some people even wear theirs till the "hand" cuts when it must have stopped working a longtime ago.

From the article he claimed to have owned one in particular for 17years, is he 17 years old? NO, obviously their was one before that and possibly after that.

He does not have option of wristwatches to pick from like hushpuppi and other politicians, when that gets bad, he buys another. Wrist watches dont last a life-time .

But the Onus on his statement lies on owning just a single wristwatch at a given period till it goes bad because of his conservative nature.

The pictures you are putting up are at different periods of his life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by vedaxcool(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2018
grin grin the effiminate imbeci1e is a congenital liar out if control

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by Stevewonder004(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2018
Nigerians can be funney i swear...
So upon so many other dirty secret that dey supposed to find out they couldnt see one but a mere statement that can be utered by anyone just to cheer up the audience......
Ok what of buhari dat says he has only but 150cows, hv we confirmed if dat is the true talk...
When a cloth is confirmed spotless, haters must surely find a way to turn the designing tread into a spot.......
Atikuobi 2019; iam tired of the chain...

2 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by basilo101: 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2018
Stevewonder004:
Nigerians can be funney i swear...
So upon so many other dirty secret that dey supposed to find out they couldnt see one but a mere statement that can be utered by anyone just to cheer up the audience......
Ok what of buhari dat says he has only but 150cows, hv we confirmed if dat is the true talk...
When a cloth is confirmed spotless, haters must surely find a way to turn the designing tread into a spot.......
Atikuobi 2019; iam tired of the chain...
Peter obi is clean. They have been digging but end up with something frivolous like this.

2 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by basilo101: 3:01pm On Oct 15, 2018
vedaxcool:
grin grin the effiminate imbeci1e is a congenital liar out if control
Tinubu said exactly the same thing against Buhari in 2011

2 Likes

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by Omeokachie: 3:03pm On Oct 15, 2018
Now we have descended to analysing wristwatch cheesy

Truly their is panic in some camps.

1 Like

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by vedaxcool(m): 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2018
[s]
basilo101:

Tinubu said exactly the same thing against Buhari in 2011
[/s]

Find Cownu before you speak to me

Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by Stevewonder004(m): 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2018
basilo101:

Peter obi is clean. They have been digging but end up with something frivolous like this.
Its good to be always honest with whatever you do cause nobody knows tomorrow.......
Re: FLASHBACK: Did Peter Obi Lie About Owning One Wristwatch? Featured News by Stevewonder004(m): 3:06pm On Oct 15, 2018
basilo101:

Its good to be always honest with whatever you do cause nobody knows tomorrow.......that action that you thought its nothing can deprive you your big position tomorrow....tnk God for obi so far...

(1) (Reply)

New Minimum Wage: NLC, TUC, Others Suspend Strike, Buhari To Announce Agreed Fig / Nnamdi Kanu’s Nov 17 Radio Address Exposing ‘fake’ Buhari / APC Using Fake Pictures Of Army Attack on Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.