Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club (8158 Views)

Effective Reading And Writing Tips, For Students And Teachers. / Gidi Readers Club - Whatsapp Group / Best World Readers Club (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2018
Reading is to the mind as exercise is to the body. It keeps the brain active, healthy and productive. It stimulates your thinking and nourishes your mind. It is one of the best ways for a leader to keep learning, growing and impacting the world around them by applying the ideas and lesson to the challenges of life.

Most CEOs read 60 books per year — that’s an average of 5 books per month! Why? They know that every single problem they encounter has been faced before by someone else. That's true because when reading, you come to terms with people who have lived before you and who have faced the same problems as you. You get to know how they have dealt with the crises in their lives.

Warren Buffett became America’s most successful investor because he used his voracious reading habit to learn everything there was to know about every industry.
“Books allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today” — Mark Zuckerberg

Research has shown that reading good books boost our brainpower and also enhance emphatic skills. The question is "if building our brainpower is that straightforward, why don't more people do it?

Most people find it tedious or boring. Some people are visually oriented and prefer their information passive,like watching television. For others, it’s a matter of personal time investment. They have little or no time for books because of their busy schedule.

Stop making excuses, figure out what works best for you.

Reading shouldn't be something you do because you feel like doing it. It should become as natural as eating and breathing to you. Reading can be hugely satisfying and highly enjoyable, if you have a good book.

TIPS

1. Find books that are of interest to you: When you find a genre or topic that really interests you, making time to read becomes much easier and more enjoyable.

2. You don’t have to finish an entire book right away, you just have to start. Even if you just read a few pages throughout the day. Those minutes and pages add up quickly.

3. Make it a goal to read at least one book a week. When you set goals for yourself, you have something to work toward.

4. Set a daily time or page limit.

5. Make reading a habit. If reading is not yet a habit, it might slip your mind and be pushed off.

6. Reading should be fun and not a chore. If after 50 pages, the book’s not floating your boat, drop the book and pick another one. Life is too short, there are millions of good books out there yet to explore.

PS. You can still watch your favourite show but instead of watching two or four shows, limit it to one and exchange the other hour for reading time. This way you get the best of both worlds (Tv and books)

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 5:21pm On Oct 15, 2018
Reading is not enough!

I have talked about the benefits of reading and the positive impact it has on personal development. The primary purpose of reading is to open our mind to new ideas and ways of thinking. There's a big difference between knowing something on an intellectual level and internalizing it on an emotional level.

Reading is important but it's not enough, you need to apply what you read to the real world and experience them yourself. To fully extract the benefits of books, the ideas you consume need to go from being abstract concepts to concrete personal philosophies that are an inextricable part of how you live and who you are. It is only when we apply and integrate what we read into our life in a meaningful way do they become real.

Read thoughtfully.

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Doerstech(m): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2018
Good tips....

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by ILuvBreasts: 7:14am On Oct 17, 2018
hh
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by shollish(m): 7:15am On Oct 17, 2018
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!
I had a negative vibe for reading earlier, i hated reading, i read because I had to. But now ny mentality changed I ventured into reading some books recently, I must confess its really good and helpful.

Some good books you can start with are
1) 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
2) Richest Man in Babylon by George Classon
3) How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
4) Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
5) 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.
6) How To Talk To Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere by Larry King
7) Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
cool Art Of War by Sun Tzu
9) Power Of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr Joseph Murphy
10) Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

It's better you buy them in bookstores (paperback) that's when you will value them most.
i read some of them in Pdf sha

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Mentorkaryhm(m): 7:16am On Oct 17, 2018
good one, but must people don't read even ordinary manuals talkless of reading Bibles which makes u sleep if u are not determined.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Splasshhh(f): 7:17am On Oct 17, 2018
R
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Racoon(m): 7:17am On Oct 17, 2018
Making reading an habit is the main issue.Learning is for life.

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by IZIBLAZE4JESUS(m): 7:17am On Oct 17, 2018
Nicely written. Just in time. Readers are Leaders. Do you think our Nigerian Leaders read?

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by israelmao(m): 7:18am On Oct 17, 2018
Readers are only found on this thread.Reading changes life and you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by zicoraads: 7:21am On Oct 17, 2018
Good tips! You will almost always find me with a very good book, no matter how busy my schedule is.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by codedpee(m): 7:25am On Oct 17, 2018
The teeming youths are laughing at you, OP. What would they do with books when Telemundo and other TV series are still showing! I probably went too far, but what about chatting with "xup", "afar", "5n",and other countless nonexistent words and expressions on the various social media? What about posting pictures and spending the whole week monitoring for likes?
I only pity my children. A lot of times I do feel I should start now to arrange for their teachers even while they're yet to come on. Almost less than a handful of youths care about books... The idea is now phones.
I pray they and all should reconsider your points!

2 Likes

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by qanda: 7:29am On Oct 17, 2018
My own experience, I use Q and A App - I visit the App first thing in the morning. Since I have started using the App in April this year, I have read about 5 business books. My life better for it. Join me!

Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by omooba969(m): 7:29am On Oct 17, 2018
IZIBLAZE4JESUS:
Nicely written. Just in time. Readers are Leaders. Do you think our Nigerian Leaders read?

Perhaps the state of the country explains it better. grin

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by nicelaw(m): 7:36am On Oct 17, 2018
And this is pretty a nice tip

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 8:05am On Oct 17, 2018
shollish:
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!
I had a negative vibe for reading earlier, i hated reading, i read because I had to. But now ny mentality changed I ventured into reading some books recently, I must confess its really good and helpful.

It's better you buy them in bookstores (paperback) that's when you will value them most.

Thanks
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by OgbeniSamm(m): 8:08am On Oct 17, 2018
I love this thread. I need books on Financial Education. Any recommendation please? IV read the ones I have.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by cooluc(f): 8:39am On Oct 17, 2018
shollish:
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!

I have read, 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7. Nice read, pls let's talk and exchange books. Email me.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Gentlebabs(m): 8:57am On Oct 17, 2018
shollish:
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!

I have read all except number 9. Now that you posted this, I'll look for it. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Osemond123(m): 9:54am On Oct 17, 2018
I find it hard to read, seriously don't know why. Have been reading Rich dad and poor dad for almost a month now. cry

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by robby1(m): 10:07am On Oct 17, 2018
At first glance, I thought I saw political tips for effective rigging. What's wrong with me cry

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by okwabayi(m): 10:25am On Oct 17, 2018
Osemond123:
I find it hard to read, seriously don't know why. Have been reading Rich dad and poor dad for almost a month now. cry
If you are on this forum and contributing on the regular then it is a first step. A lot of people learned how to read and express their thoughts properly via this forum.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by okwabayi(m): 10:29am On Oct 17, 2018
The truth is, that CEOs thing is a myth. It is not wholly confirmed. Mark learned to read books not too long ago. He, just like me and a few other readers, started because he realized the most successful people in the world are readers.
Bill Gates also mentioned once he didn’t read as many books as people associate him with.

The tips here are really good but don’t forget in this country a lot of book vendors consume their products heavily and still do not make it out of their mundane existence.
Why did I even use that example, professors in universities, nko? Most of them are only a wealth of outdated knowledge and possess no physical accomplishments.

Books are overrated. They are an outdated form of information transfer.
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by okwabayi(m): 10:36am On Oct 17, 2018
I’m here wondering what the difference is between reading and studying. How do I get better at the latter?
I have the reading part down to a T but how does studying compare to it? Most Nigerian parents, teachers also, don’t know how to explain/differentiate both actions.
Most times when they can they refuse to pass the knowledge on — choosing to keep it so they can oppress the ignorant majority.

1 Like

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 11:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2018
For an update
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2018
.books
Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by Samueloladapo(m): 11:46am On Oct 17, 2018
Thank you op.
You could do cashflow quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, ops mentioned this

I love to read, thanks to my mother who help challenge and influence us (she was a teacher)

some of include but not limited to

Seven habits of highly effective people ......................Steven Covey
Blink.................Malcolm Gladwell
Finishing Strong...........Steve Farrar
How to win friends and influence people.............Dale Carnegie
Emotional intelligence............Daniel Goleman
Focus...........Daniel Goleman
I dare to call him father.............Bilquis Sheikh
The Gods kind of life...........Kenneth Hagin
Zero to One ..............Peter Thiel
Lost Symbol............Dan Brown

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by rammytt(m): 11:58am On Oct 17, 2018
shollish:
Yes oh

Readers are Leaders!

Not only you. It took me years to understand the value of reading. From your powerful list, I can see you gat a good taste for books but they are mostly business book genre. I have read all except Power Of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr Joseph Murphy. I agree with you that paperback is d best for effective reading but how many bookstores readily have good books in Nigeria?For instance, I have bn looking for Life amazing secret by Guar Gopal Das for ages. Itnis not even in the so called Lagos Island book's hub.

I will strongly recommend The Greatest Salesman by Og Mandino If you haven't read it. I have the ecopy.

Re: Practical Tips For Effective Reading: Readers Club by saintruky(m): 12:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
rammytt:

Not only you. It took me years to understand the value of reading. From your powerful list, I can see you gat a good taste for books but they are mostly business book genre. I have read all except Power Of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr Joseph Murphy. I agree with you that paperback is d best for effective reading but how many bookstores readily have good books in Nigeria?For instance, I have bn looking for Life amazing secret by Guar Gopal Das for ages. Itnis not even in the so called Lagos Island book's hub.

I will strongly recommend The Greatest Salesman by Og Mandino If you haven't read it. I have the ecopy.

Could u email it to me pls..
excelglobaltd@gmail.com thx

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Year Of Trouble And Sexcapades(myts) / Tamed / Free Wallpaper Dwnlds: **new:chelsea, Barca, Manu, Arsenal** Updated 26/04/2008

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.