Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning (47125 Views)

English Words Nigerians Give A Different Meaning / Igbo And Yoruba Languages Now Acknowledged In Foxborough, Massachusetts, USA / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by gbemishile: 8:22am On Oct 16, 2018
When someone says “One Nigeria”, many Nigerians internally scoff. Some even go as far as doing it on the outside.

This is because Nigeria is full of many tribes who do not seem to have a lot in common.

But when you look closely, many Nigerian tribes have many things in common such as culture, food and even languages.

The Yorubas and Igbos may seem to be as different as the sun and moon. But they have lots in common, especially in language.

Here are 7 words you’d find in both Yoruba and Igbo languages , although they may have different meanings and pronunciations:

1. Ile
Any Yoruba person will tell you that this word means “House”. In the Igbo language, this word means “Tongue”.

2. Enu
In Igbo, enu means “Up” while in Yoruba, it refers to the Mouth.

3. Owu
Can you believe this word means the same thing in both languages? Yes, it does. Owu is both the Yoruba and Igbo word for Thread.

4. Ede
Ede is the Yoruba word for language. It is also the Igbo word for Cocoyam.

5. Olaniyi
In Igbo “Olaniyi” means “Someone that has no value, a waste!” In Yoruba is a name, not just a Name,perhaps it’s a name per excellence which means “Wealth Has Value“. But imagine what the meaning was in Igbo language, someone can’t bear Olaniyi in the east in peace �

6. Aja
Aja is found in both languages albeit with different meanings. In Igbo, Aja means Sand. But it means Dog in Yoruba.

7. Jide
It’s pretty amazing how two different tribes can have the same name for male children. Though to be fair in Igbo, this name is the short form of Jideofor.

In Yoruba, Jide is the short form of Babajide, Olajide etc. In Igbo, Jide means to hold. While in Yoruba, it can mean “has come/resurfaced”.

8. Oja
When someone says the word “oja” in Yoruba, they mean market. In Igbo, Oja is the name given to the flute.

Which Other Words That Has Meaning In Both Tribes, Do You Know?
Drop your comments..

119 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Shelloween(m): 8:27am On Oct 16, 2018
Lol .... I always enjoy the "Olaniyi" part.
Even "Olatunji" ....infact..every Yoruba name that starts with "Ola" means something funny in Igbo.

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 16, 2018
Yoruba; Oko - farm, joystick

Igbo; Oko - to itch.

I had a friend whose last name is Ezimorah.
Igbo; Ezi- Pig
Yoruba; Mora - I bought

A combination of both languages translated into 'I bought pigs'
Let's just say he had a really hard time.

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Shelloween(m): 8:44am On Oct 16, 2018
Earthbound:

Igbo; Oko - to itch.

Igbo; Ezi- Pig
Yoruba; Mora - I bought

mechie onu.
To itch is "Uko" not "Oko"
There is no Igbo name spelt as "Ezimorah"

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 16, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.
I suggest you stop your itk attitude before you hurt yourself. I know more than one Ezimorah

72 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 16, 2018
Brilliant
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by OneCorner: 10:00am On Oct 16, 2018
Earthbound:

Igbo; Oko - to itch.

Igbo; Ezi- Pig
Yoruba; Mora - I bought

Unrepentant liar

17 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by EzePromoe: 10:02am On Oct 16, 2018
The Olaniyi name kind of cracks me up.
One word but two opposite meanings.
BTW It's Olanihi in Igbo and it means 'the destroyer'

Meanwhile let me add;

Ogbo means Sponge (Igbo) and Monkey (Yoruba)
Obo means Retaliation (Igbo) and Female (Yoruba)
Oba means barn (Igbo) and King (Yoruba)

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by speaktome(m): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2018
Olanike

Its a Yoruba name (I no no wetin e mean)

In Igbo it means dying suddenly

15 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 16, 2018
OneCorner:

Unrepentant liar
ITK. Your fellow Igbos are coming to prove you wrong.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 16, 2018
EzePromoe:

Meanwhile let me add;

Monkey is obo
Pussy is obo
Davido is obo

grin

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by BluntBoy(m): 10:52am On Oct 16, 2018
EzePromoe:

Meanwhile let me add;

Monkey is not ogbo in Yoruba. It is obo.

And female is not obo in Yoruba. It is abo.

20 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by foyeks2001(f): 10:57am On Oct 16, 2018
Shelloween:
Lol .... I always enjoy the "Olaniyi" part.
Even "Olatunji" ....infact..every Yoruba name that starts with "Ola" means something funny in Igbo.
What does Olabisi mean in Igbo language?
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nbote(m): 12:08pm On Oct 16, 2018
Oke in Igbo is dat while it has a different meaning in Yoruba.. So also do words like
Ewu
Olu
Ogo
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by greenmonk: 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2018
foyeks2001:

Olabisi means the one that scatters in igbo or the thing that enters the brain.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2018
Fu o ru m oja
Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by gen2briz(m): 1:16pm On Oct 16, 2018
Put the mark I mean àmín and see different meaning

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by ebig21(m): 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.
nawa oo, you sure say you be Igbo, oko means to itch, Ezimora means, I teach the public, that is I have shown the world what I'm capable of

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2018
Igbos are far greater than the Yorubas in every aspect. Go and argue with your keypad.

20 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2018
foyeks2001:

to fùck persons head ....to penetrate somebodys head grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by sladimeji(m): 1:58pm On Oct 16, 2018
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Igbos are far greater than the Yorubas in every aspect. Go and argue with your keypad.
come here I will not beat you

91 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by opribo(m): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2018
Wèrè. Means take in igbo
But mad in yoruba

Àśiri means gossip in igbo but secret in yoruba

Ifè means something in igbo but love in yoruba.

19 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by AroOkigbo(m): 3:46pm On Oct 16, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.
You are wrong
It's "Oko"

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by ChopBellefull(m): 3:55pm On Oct 16, 2018
Okute is stone in igbo and okuta is stone in Yoruba

Akpa is bag in igbo and akpo is bag in youruba

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by ChopBellefull(m): 3:56pm On Oct 16, 2018
AroOkigbo:

You are wrong
It's "Oko"

Its uko not oko... But it cld b oko in ur own native tongue though

3 Likes

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Dmec(m): 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2018
Earthbound:

I suggest you stop your itk attitude before you hurt yourself. I know more than one Ezimorah
Ezimorah is not an Igbo name.
The name Ezimorah can be a name Ezi (abbreviation of "EZINNE"winkand a surname (Morah).

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by Issaboss(m): 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2018
Shelloween:
mechie onu.
I know someone answering Ezimorah and btw Ezimorah literally means "I show the crowd"

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by haconjy(m): 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2018
many errors....in Yoruba, pronunciation and written are not the same....
ile...means land, house, owu means, thread and jealous... clarify it wella

1 Like

Re: 8 Words You’d Find In Both The Igbo And Yoruba Languages, But Different Meaning by courna(m): 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2018
Earthbound:
Monkey is obo Pussy is obo Davido is obo
grin
but the intonation is different though

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This UNILAG Babe, Oluwabunmi Ehuwa Is Missing / JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / Missing Letter 'W' At WAEC Office In Yaba, Lagos (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.