Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office (36190 Views)

Fayemi Declares For 2023 Presidency, Promises Good Governance (Full Speech) / BREAKING: Ogun Govt Declares Free Education, Scraps N3,700 School Fees / Fayemi Declares State Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by kutchs: 5:23pm On Oct 17, 2018
Quality education is what we need and not free education. No state in Nigeria today can afford free education aa what's needed to adequately and properly fund quality education is beyond even the annual budget of most states.
There's a huge funding gap running into trillions of Nigeria which needs to be bridged. However, that cannot happen when you remove one of the major sources of funding available to education.
At a time when the govt should be looking to diversify its education funding base, removing payment of fees by the beneficiaries is stupid. No matter how little, there must be some commitment from the beneficiaries but it must be such that they can afford.

BTW, what's the budget of Ekiti State?

1 Like

Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by AdorableJosh(m): 5:32pm On Oct 17, 2018
But is it sustainable?
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by COMPAQ(m): 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2018
Is there really a point to free but useless education?

As they say "awoof dey run belle". It sounds good now, but 10 years from now they'd wish they had gone to a private school, when they realise they know nothing and are uncompetitive in the labour market.

With Ekitis revenue and the amount needed for QUALITATIVE education, how it can be sustainably and qualitatively free remains to be seen.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by penearth(m): 5:50pm On Oct 17, 2018
the governor might have benefited from free education in d past that's like why he replicate the gesture. congratulations congratulations congratulations to d people of Ekiti and Nigeria as a whole
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by PointB: 5:56pm On Oct 17, 2018
femi4:
You mean parents that are still owed backlog of Salaries.

Until Civil servants are paid as at when due and businesses are doing fine, free education is the way to go for now. Education can be quality and free....after all, I enjoyed free and qualitative education

It's sad parents are being owned salary for work they have done for the government. Very unfortunate.

Yet, paying parent's ward school fees is not solution, nor substitute for the reward of their labour. Cos that does not help those without children who have other needs.

But the crux of my argument is: alternative forgone.

Government can choose to pay children school fees, and while at it, feed them. Or government can invest in infrastructure that enables parent generate income to pay school fees, feed children, and pay tax to government. Experience has shown that government can't have it both ways.

So Ekiti state should do what works very well for the people of the state. Good luck to Fayemi, I believe he's smart enough to know what's good for his people.

2 Likes

Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by chrisooblog: 5:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
AtoyebiTaiwo:

Mr Thomas. PDP MAN
lol like union bank will say don't be an uncle thomas
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by motic2(f): 5:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
sojiboy:
In less than 24 hours sworn-in as the Governor of Ekiti State His Excellency Dr. John Kayode Fayemi declares Free education for Primary & secondary schools in Ekiti state, plan to start free feeding (Lunch) for Primary school as soonest.

Adesoji Gabriel
Angel gabby chai........ Your love for politics is unending way back from school days ummmmm..... This is mayor from tobi adegun hostel
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by ezemme(m): 6:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
This is his second tenure, it's gonna be the more you look the less you see. Don't be deceive by the IGG, after 4 years the result will tell.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by highbee02: 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2018
Just as the Kwara state governor, Abdulfatai Ahmed declared "free education" few months to the general elections. He only asked the students to pay the sum of #1,500 as the tuition. In Gbenga Adeboye's voice, ACTION GOVERNORS
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by deebrownneymar: 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2018
Wow. Just Wow! This is great news! Hope he does more.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
kiss

Before you rejoice, ask Okorocha, he did it then but now?
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by omoranmilowo: 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
Good decisions if he can continue without owning civil servants also. Highly welcome.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Eaugusta(f): 8:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
courage54:
And how we ended up with BUHARI and ATIKU as the major contenders for the 2019 election still beats my Imagination.
I thought I was the only one
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by EternalTruths: 8:17pm On Oct 17, 2018
PointB:
What analysis has he done to arrive at this point.

Someone will pay for 'free' stuff, does the government of Ekiti generate enough money for such program?

Yoruba people like egunje (freebies)
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by EternalTruths: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2018
nextstep:

What did divinelove say that is wrong: Ekiti is a poor state, and Government has not demonstrated ability to pay for its existing obligations. Why introduce new liabilities, when you've not added a plan to generate new revenues. He's not mentioned a concrete, actionable plan to increase revenues, but is quick to increase spending. That makes no sense.

Nigerian governments (fed and state) are notoriously inefficient at spending public money on education - we have many many examples of this. Instead of reducing the amount of money spent by parents (which really translates to inadequate facilities and unpaid teachers), the government should be focused on increasing job opportunities for those parents, which would translate to a higher standard of living, and revenue for the state.

The man has connections - invite industrialist to setup factories (take a cue from Ogun state in the last decades); give tax-incentives; harness your agricultural base; empower your educated workforce to become entrepreneurs. The money used for "free education" would see a better turnover if used to jumpstart companies (and government can arrange to keep 10% non-voting equity in those companies)...

There's a time and place for free education, but not until there are solid revenues and a system to support it forever.

You Are An Economic Wise Man From The East. True or False.?

Take one Heineken bottle
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by EternalTruths: 8:28pm On Oct 17, 2018
PointB:

It's sad parents are being owned salary for work they have done for the government. Very unfortunate.

Yet, paying parent's ward school fees is not solution, nor substitute for the reward of their labour. Cos that does not help those without children who have other needs.

But the crux of my argument is: alternative forgone.

Government can choose to pay children school fees, and while at feed them. Or government can invest in infrastructure that enables parent generate income to pay school fees, feed children, and pay tax to government. Experience has shown that government can't have it both ways.

So Ekiti state should do what works very well for the people of the state. Good luck to Fayemi, I believe he's smart enough to know what's good for his people.

Don't you know that most Yoruba people don't understand simple financial/economic operations.?

That is why femi4 can't understand what you are talking about.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Olalekanbanky1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2018
vizkiz:
Education has always been free in Ekiti state.

Which of d Ekitis are u talking abt? Cos in d Ekiti where I live and opportuned to teach in one of the public schools, EDUCATION IS NOT FREE.

Infact I knw pple like u U are not from Ekiti oh

1 Like

Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by femi4: 8:31pm On Oct 17, 2018
EternalTruths:

Don't you know that most Yoruba people don't understand simple financial/economic operations.?

That is why femi4 can't understand what you are talking about.
I ll leave you to your folly cos you don't live in Ekiti and textbooks application can only work in a sane Country where all other factors are met.

Oh! Their wards should stop going to school till the govt can find a way to improve the economy of the State.

We ve had diverse economy prof managing our economy from time memorial yet we are where we are
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Montanaice(m): 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2018
Lies, his first four years, this man left ekiti on Dept, he was rigged in 2018 , we all know he did not win the election
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2018
Dumdumfashion:
Free education is not the best. The people who give you the education do it as a favor to you. They don't give it their best. Education should be subsidized not totally free.
no mind them free education is scam... Thats yy govt schools is jam-packed...hw can a teacher cope with 150 students....in a class even in awo time dee wer ways to fund it...
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by mrtheo33: 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2018
Within my one year sojourn at Ise/Orun Ekiti as a Youth Corper (2015/2016) I never saw any day a child from my school - Ise Comprehensive high School or any other public school was driven home for school fees.

I think It has been free.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Kaazhmooond: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2018
[color=#006600][/color]Action governor.. God go bless her.... Him or Her?..... Lol. #GbengaAdeboye's_voice
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 17, 2018
Dumdumfashion:
Free education is not the best. The people who give you the education do it as a favor to you. They don't give it their best. Education should be subsidized not totally free.

Majority of Nigerian professors and our educated fathers you see today enjoyed same free education
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by mbodea(m): 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
As well as I know Nigerians..they don't like anything free. People will now start trooping to private schools...this governor just came in with obi is a boi sence...Ekiti people does not need free education even if the school fee is not much let them pay.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Fruitydemo(m): 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2018
divinelove:
grin

Ekiti major problem is poverty, wealth creation and job creation. Skill development and entrepreneurship should be encouraged via soft loan. Stimulate the economy. He should pay workers too.

Education is not their problem they are well educated but living in abject poverty because they depend only on Govt money aka salary.

there is one professor in almost every family in Ekiti state but all these professors are paupers that barely can afford to feed well.

Poverty is the real problem in ekiti, they are one of the poorest state in Nigeria with the worst debt profile almost bankrupt.

Cheap popularity

Before I forget Ekiti should get ready for Fulani herdmen attacks too, so they are not caught unawares, APC is evil

APC is evil....wat about you..... if dy don't pay school fee won't dy save money?....use ur head
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by Jamestown123: 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
As if there will be well taught .the only thing I learnt in government schools is how to read and write .If not all other things Na yawa
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by sogodihno: 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2018
divinelove:
grin

Ekiti major problem is poverty, wealth creation and job creation. Skill development and entrepreneurship should be encouraged via soft loan. Stimulate the economy. He should pay workers too.

Education is not their problem they are well educated but living in abject poverty because they depend only on Govt money aka salary.

there is one professor in almost every family in Ekiti state but all these professors are paupers that barely can afford to feed well.

Poverty is the real problem in ekiti, they are one of the poorest state in Nigeria with the worst debt profile almost bankrupt.

Cheap popularity

Before I forget Ekiti should get ready for Fulani herdmen attacks too, so they are not caught unawares, APC is evil

u no get sense, ur hate for APC will eventually kill u. see how he bastardized this good news.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by sojiboy(m): 4:21am On Oct 18, 2018
motic2:

Angel gabby chai........ Your love for politics is unending way back from school days ummmmm..... This is mayor from tobi adegun hostel

Olumayor haaafa
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by sojiboy(m): 4:39am On Oct 18, 2018
A governor was here who introduced child taxation. Another is here with free education for children.
Now we know the real Ore Mekunnu.
Re: Fayemi Declares Free Education In Less Than 24 Hours In Office by gassbee: 6:52am On Nov 15, 2018
motic2:

good morning, pm sent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion At Bus Station In Damaturu / CNN Investigates Why Buhari Dumped $182 Halliburton Bribe Scandal / Fayose Appoints 72-yr Old Carpenter and illiterate As Council Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.