Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State - NYSC (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State (119373 Views)

Experience In Iyana Ipaja. Lagos NYSC Temporary Camp. / Sex In NYSC Camps: How True? As A Corps Member Please Share? / Kano Corpers And Camp Soldiers Clash In Karaye NYSC Orientation Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 11:57pm On Sep 04, 2019
Fidelmak:
Nice write up 👆.... am one of the Ghost readers 😁

Nonye, do you know any professional course related to physics?

You can pick something not related to your course. It all depends on what interests you.

HR

ICT

Management

OSHA/HSE

PMP

Etc
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by laurentium(m): 9:48am On Sep 06, 2019
nonye6194:

You can pick something not related to your course. It all depends on what interests you.

HR

ICT

Management

OSHA/HSE

PMP

Etc
please are they strictly online and for how much
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2019
laurentium:
please are they strictly online and for how much

Online and offline.

Offline is mostly preferable since discounts are given to clients.

Some of these course trainers come to camp and cds meetings to advertise

I can only recommend Novelle, New horizons, chartered institutes e.g. CIPM, ICAN etc
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Jude49(m): 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2019
@nonye6194 Nice one bro... I followed ur story from the first post and it was really inspiring. I studied computer engineering bt I came out with an average result, reasons mostly health challenges. I'm yet to serve so I want to knw if it be better writing those professional exams outside Lagos, and wud it be best I serve in Lagos? I had heard alot abt the lagos traffic and related stress it brings, bt because of my course wouldn't it be best I stayed in a place like Lag? At least based on the opportunities....

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Valley96(m): 10:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
nonye6194:
Dear ghost readers, how far?

Long time no word. I hope ya'll still following grin

Hey Nonye smiley , first of, I would like to thank you for this thread you made as it is one of the major things that helped me with my decisions and smooth transition through camp and a little after camp.
Am a 19B stream 1 corp member.
Funny thing is, we both have a lot of camp experiences in common, though some of them were due to me following your footsteps. However, some of them were freaky coincidental.
I might go through your post a second time to point them out.
I might not be able to do it well as this is this is my first time commenting on Nairaland. tongue Yeah, am one of your ghost readers grin. Sorry about that wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Valley96(m): 8:14am On Sep 14, 2019
nonye6194:
So I left for camp Monday evening with my uncle's wife and got to the camp after plenty traffic wahala. When we got to the entrance, they

Attached below are pictures of me waiting under the canopy after being let into the camp

And a snapshot of the camp parade ground/mami market from my sitting position

Following your advice and experience, I had also chosen getting to camp one day earlier. Went through the same process of waiting under the canopy till nightfall before being assigned to rooms.
Before that, grin yours truly got drafted in the Registration committee with some other selfless lucky 9.
You already know the main privileges of this kinda group grin
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 8:59am On Sep 14, 2019
Valley96:

Following your advice and experience, I had also chosen getting to camp one day earlier. Went through the same process of waiting under the canopy till nightfall before being assigned to rooms.
Before that, grin yours truly got drafted in the Registration committee with some other selfless lucky 9.
You already know the main privileges of this kinda group grin

Correct guy grin

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 9:00am On Sep 14, 2019
Valley96:

Hey Nonye smiley , first of, I would like to thank you for this thread you made as it is one of the major things that helped me with my decisions and smooth transition through camp and a little after camp.
Am a 19B stream 1 corp member.
Funny thing is, we both have a lot of camp experiences in common, though some of them were due to me following your footsteps. However, some of them were freaky coincidental.
I might go through your post a second time to point them out.
I might not be able to do it well as this is this is my first time commenting on Nairaland. tongue Yeah, am one of your ghost readers grin. Sorry about that wink

Thank you so much
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 9:05am On Sep 14, 2019
Jude49:
@nonye6194 Nice one bro... I followed ur story from the first post and it was really inspiring. I studied computer engineering bt I came out with an average result, reasons mostly health challenges. I'm yet to serve so I want to knw if it be better writing those professional exams outside Lagos, and wud it be best I serve in Lagos? I had heard alot abt the lagos traffic and related stress it brings, bt because of my course wouldn't it be best I stayed in a place like Lag? At least based on the opportunities....

First of all, Lagos is a stressful place. Still, folks find a way to make it easy for themselves during service. Some carry the nysc matter on their head and get stressed out easily. About the course path, Lagos has the best opportunity for anyone that wants to secure a job immediately after service. You can choose to serve in states with proximity to Lagos and still be close to these opportunities. Still, some serve in Lagos and there's no difference from those that served some other place (no offences meant).

It depends on what you want. Being resilient from the first day until you achieve what you set out to do. This can be achieve anywhere else, not just in Lagos. Find out what you really want and go get it. Best of luck

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Valley96(m): 9:09am On Sep 14, 2019
nonye6194:
AY woke me at about 7 am to go have my bath and I was grateful it wasn't the bigle, since camp hasn't officially begun smiley. I prepared and went to the registration hall with him and completed the forms and what was necessary. And that was how I ended up in platoon one, yaay cheesy while AY was in platoon five.

(Attached below is a picture of those who came in before we even woke up and lined up to get bed spaces as early as 6 am the

and of course my kit sad )

Now some of the freaky coincidentals:
I was in Platoon 1 same as you.
My bunky was in platoon 5 same as yours.
I had exactly that same bed position with the window view to the OBS studio on one side and the view to the girls' hostel on the other side. That position also had a naughty view too :I
I have not reached this point yet but I will just mention it:

I made it into the final pick for the OBS Engineering team.
These coincidences would have been crazier if I had accepted to be the Engineering team leader if not that I was already Room Leader for the [/b] Immortals Rm 18[b]

Those positions culminated to the different nicknames I bore while in camp from my Room and OBS members alike;
Room leader. smiley
OBS. cool
Gang leader. undecided
001. wink Was hoping to get this as my code number grin but it didn't work out.
OBS Mr. Macho (Because I could carry the speakers and Amps alone.) undecided

P.S: Found out you went by a different name than Nonye while in camp according to Efosa.
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Jude49(m): 9:33am On Sep 14, 2019
nonye6194:

First of all, Lagos is a stressful place. Still, folks find a way to make it easy for themselves during service. Some carry the nysc matter on their head and get stressed out easily. About the course path, Lagos has the best opportunity for anyone that wants to secure a job immediately after service. You can choose to serve in states with proximity to Lagos and still be close to these opportunities. Still, some serve in Lagos and there's no difference from those that served some other place (no offences meant).

It depends on what you want. Being resilient from the first day until you achieve what you set out to do. This can be achieve anywhere else, not just in Lagos. Find out what you really want and go get it. Best of luck

tnks bro, exactly what I needed to hear
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by MizyB(f): 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2019
nonye6194:

Dear nonye6194, nice thread. What do you mean by the bolded, please?
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:35pm On Sep 15, 2019
MizyB:

Dear nonye6194, nice thread. What do you mean by the bolded, please?

Some come to Lagos, serve and at the end of their service go back home without applying for a job talkless of going for a test or interview. Unless they have other laid out plans where they're going back to, furthering their studies immediately or want to go into entrepreneurship. If not.
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:37pm On Sep 15, 2019
Valley96:

Now some of the freaky coincidentals:
I was in Platoon 1 same as you.
My bunky was in platoon 5 same as yours.
I had exactly that same bed position with the window view to the OBS studio on one side and the view to the girls' hostel on the other side. That position also had a naughty view too :I
I have not reached this point yet but I will just mention it:

I made it into the final pick for the OBS Engineering team.
These coincidences would have been crazier if I had accepted to be the Engineering team leader if not that I was already Room Leader for the [/b] Immortals Rm 18[b]

Those positions culminated to the different nicknames I bore while in camp from my Room and OBS members alike;
Room leader. smiley
OBS. cool
Gang leader. undecided
001. wink Was hoping to get this as my code number grin but it didn't work out.
OBS Mr. Macho (Because I could carry the speakers and Amps alone.) undecided

P.S: Found out you went by a different name than Nonye while in camp according to Efosa.

My room was 18 too. Trust me, this is enough coincidence. That room has seen better days

You won Mr macho? I don catch your face grin

Efosa still comes to camp? grin

You never talk where Dem post you go ooo

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Babsbakr: 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2019
nonye6194:

Some come to Lagos, serve and at the end of their service go back home without applying for a job talkless of going for a test or interview. Unless they have other laid out plans where they're going back to, furthering their studies immediately or want to go into entrepreneurship. If not.

I have been reading your posts from day one and really you are too good sir. Well done for all those beautiful pieces you have been feeding us with.
Personally, I have learnt a lot with all the NYSC hullabaloo that I'm to face. I'm actually graduating from the Department of English and awaiting NYSC Batch C Registration. I'm very much interested in joining the OBS in camp though not the Engineering Department you were in but rather the Broadcasting Department. The thing is you did not tell us in your whole story if there were news, updates, interviews, shoutouts and all that from the Broadcasting department and so I'm wondering if really there was nothing like that or perhaps the department did not exist in the camp where you had your orientation or even if you only missed that aspect in your story??
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 12:02am On Sep 17, 2019
Babsbakr:

I have been reading your posts from day one and really you are too good sir. Well done for all those beautiful pieces you have been feeding us with.
Personally, I have learnt a lot with all the NYSC hullabaloo that I'm to face. I'm actually graduating from the Department of English and awaiting NYSC Batch C Registration. I'm very much interested in joining the OBS in camp though not the Engineering Department you were in but rather the Broadcasting Department. The thing is you did not tell us in your whole story if there were news, updates, interviews, shoutouts and all that from the Broadcasting department and so I'm wondering if really there was nothing like that or perhaps the department did not exist in the camp where you had your orientation or even if you only missed that aspect in your story??

We had all of that lol.

There are two sets of the OBS:

Engineering

Editorial

I headed the engineering set. So I wasn't in anywhere incharge of what the editorial guys did. Although I got to see what they did, like some of the above you mentioned.
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Babsbakr: 11:31pm On Sep 17, 2019
nonye6194:

We had all of that lol.

There are two sets of the OBS:

Engineering

Editorial

I headed the engineering set. So I wasn't in anywhere incharge of what the editorial guys did. Although I got to see what they did, like some of the above you mentioned.

Alright. Thank you sir for the clarification.
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by detoby(m): 12:22pm On Sep 19, 2019
Thanks Nonye for your inspiring story.
please I'm intending to serve in Lagos but my problem is that I don't have anybody to stay with in Lagos after camping and I have heard severally that accommodation is a major problem to Corpers serving in lagos. please what is your advice.

Thanks as l anticipate your response
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by detoby(m): 5:40pm On Sep 19, 2019
How to go about immediately after camp and what's the range of house rent in Lagos.
Your candid response sir
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Valley96(m): 11:29am On Sep 26, 2019
nonye6194:

My room was 18 too. Trust me, this is enough coincidence. That room has seen better days

You won Mr macho? I don catch your face grin

Efosa still comes to camp? grin

You never talk where Dem post you go ooo

I didn't contest for Mr. Macho cheesy. It's just our OBS group that nicknamed me that. smiley
Yeah, Efosa came around. He was one of the two that taught us before handing over.

I initially used my slots to be posted to an Engineering firm in Ikeja. I worked there for maybe two or three days before quitting as working conditions there would hinder all my personal and Nysc schedules. Besides they had told me they don't really accept corpers because of the work conditions.

I went for an interview in Lekki and was hired, so i asked to be reposted there. Have been favoured since then. smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:15pm On Sep 27, 2019
Las las Lagos camp is over hyped
Too small and boring
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 5:51am On Oct 06, 2019
Hi everyone smiley

I've been going through a new phase which hasn't given me enough time to complete what's left of this diary and close this thread for good. I say this and apologize because no one likes reading an unfinished book, work or whatsoever. I hope in the little moments I can squeeze for myself, I can make efforts to complete this so we could all move on from here lol.

Regards,

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Thecvbankng: 4:17am On Oct 07, 2019
Are you an awaiting, current or ex Corp member? Read about the Common Mistakes Corpers Make In Searching For A Job here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5457207/common-mistakes-corpers-make-searching#82910165

Don't forget to contact us for the best services for your CV and cover letter for jobs, scholarships, etc. We assure results to our clients and we help them ensure they achieve these goals together

See some testimonies from our previous clients in link below; https://www.nairaland.com/5353109/why-need-cvbank-today-testimon

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
nonye6194:
Hi everyone smiley

I've been going through a new phase which hasn't given me enough time to complete what's left of this diary and close this thread for good. I say this and apologize because no one likes reading an unfinished book, work or whatsoever. I hope in the little moments I can squeeze for myself, I can make efforts to complete this so we could all move on from here lol.

Regards,

Ecclesiastes 7:8 Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
You have enlightened a lot of scholars and prospective corps members with your write up.Keep it up.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 7:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
Not the continuation of the gist (that one is coming), but here's something to read to hold body grin

From yours truly;

https://twitter.com/kingsleyrino/status/1187434275995574277?s=19

1 Like

Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by Adettyfash: 2:46pm On Oct 25, 2019
nonye6194:
The weekend before resuming at my PPA, I began a UKHSE certification training with novelle. Here's a bit about UKHSE for those who don't know what it's about;

HSE (which is acronym for Health, Safety and Environment) is a course provided by the British international safety organisation (BISO) to teach, train and certify employees on the safe practices associated with the workplace, the individual and the environment.
In some advanced nations, Safety certifications is a requirement for a couple of professions but down here in Nigeria, it has been adopted to be only for the engineering profession alone. Individuals from other disciplines undergo it still but each class set is usually made of (almost) entirely engineering trainees, just like mine.

For fresh graduates seeking entry level jobs after their service year, certain skills and knowledge (aside the first degree obtained) together with their certificates is key to standing out from others. UKHSE certification is definitely one of such certifications for a graduate.

The certification comes in levels ranging from 1-9. The levels 1,2&3 is usually what is expected of a graduate. Once an employee, one can then pursue the rest of the levels certification individually or the firm could sponsor that. The first three levels costs about 45k (19500 for corpers) and levels 4-9 for 240k (200k for corpers).

So I gisted Emi and Ru about the training ahead of the inaugural day and they were both on board with the plan. Ru is one of my school mates that was also posted to Lagos but she had her orientation in Ondo camp due to the last changes by nysc.
So we all cleared our weekend plans ahead of the training day and when it came, it started with a torrential rain that fell all morning until noontime. When it rains in most parts of Lagos, movements becomes more difficult for commuters. So Emi bailed on us early that morning because of the rain, but Ru and I made up our minds to attend nonetheless. I left home at about 7am and getting into the rain, I realised I had made a huge mistake.

Rain showed me shege that morning eh cry

Buses were scattered all over bus stops with none moving. To get a bus headed your way, you'll have to stand in the crazy rain until one comes along and picks you. It was so confusing for me that I ended up in a bus headed to Mushin, instead of Ikeja along grin. When I realised my error we were already in Mushin angry, so I had to pay extra fee to get back and head on to the right destination. Even Google maps wasn't helping that morning as glo network deserted me long ago. Las las, I got to the venue all drenched and joined the few others already there to wait for the session to begin.

When our trainer arrived, he did the normal introductions and we kick-started with the inaugural training of the day. The training provider is novelle training centre, a licenced and renowned firm I'd known for their excellence in trainings/certifications.
Towards the end of the day's training, Ru arrived and joined up for the rest of the last session. At the end of the day, we were told the difference between novelle issued certifications to other trainers' certification.
In addition to the UKHSE 1,2&3 certificates, novelle issues two certifications (Basic first aid and risk assessment/Environmental Impact Assessment from the DPR) which gives their training a unique edge over their competition. To me, that was a cool addition which I wasn't even aware of before now cool.

Since we were both on board with going ahead with the training, Ru and I made payments in full for the levels 1,2&3 and we were shown the sample certificates which is attached below for those interested. After then, we dispersed for the next weekend.

Please how do I register indicating that I am a corper
Re: My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State by nonye6194: 10:01pm On Oct 25, 2019
Adettyfash:

Please how do I register indicating that I am a corper

Visit the training center and show your ID during registration

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Nysc Age Limit / Lagos State NYSC Batch B 2014 (Stream I&II) / My NYSC Experience In Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.