Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,836 members, 7,798,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) (4901 Views)

Impermissible To Say Unlegislated Du'a (dhikr) After Prayer (salah) / MURIC To Law School: "Do Not Sandwich Salah Day For Us" / Praying Obligatory Salah Behind One Who Is Praying Nawaafil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:34am On Oct 18, 2018
Succinctly, It is not permissible for a Muslim to delay the prayer until its time is over with no excuse. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

i.e., at specific times.

Reasons why prayers may be delayed until their time is over include sleeping and forgetting. It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik said: The Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets a prayer or sleeps and misses it, its expiation is to make it up as soon as he remembers it.” Narrated by Muslim, 684.

With regard to work, study, etc, these are not excuses that allow delaying a prayer until its time is over. Allaah praises some people by saying (interpretation of the meaning):

“Men whom neither trade nor sale (business) diverts from the remembrance of Allaah (with heart and tongue) nor from performing As‑Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑Salaah) nor from giving the Zakaah. They fear a Day when hearts and eyes will be overturned (out of the horror of the torment of the Day of Resurrection)”

[al-Noor 24:37]

So the legitimate excuses for missing Solah are:

1. Being unconscious i.e. Sleeping, etc.

2. Forgetting

Whoever neglects the prayer until its time has gone with no valid excuse has no need praying it back since the time for it has gone. It is one of the major sins in Islam to neglect Solah till its time is over. One who does this has to repent sincerely and also perform many naafil prayers in the hope they will make up for the missed prayers.

With regard to the one who delays a prayer until its time is over because of a (legitimate) excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, he has to perform the prayer as soon as that excuse is no longer in effect, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets a prayer let him offer it as soon as he remembers it , and there is no other expiation but that.” Narrated by Muslim.

Powered by Source
And Allah knows best.

Also read The Cobweb Story on Hijrah from Makkah to Madeenah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Empiree: 7:51pm On Oct 18, 2018
There are more than these two. There are other legitimate excuses in shari'a.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 7:56am On Oct 19, 2018
Empiree:
There are more than these two. There are other legitimate excuses in shari'a.

Bring the lists of the other legitimate excuses and the corresponding authentic evidence from shari'a.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by SarakiBukola: 10:12am On Oct 19, 2018
May Almighty Allah forgive me, but it's easier said than done especially with exams.

While studying in the West, how can you ask a tutor to make exceptions for you because you want to pray ?

May God forgive us all...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by fruqy(m): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2018
What about travellers?

I have heard instances where some travellers, after missing Zhur and Asr prayer, maybe get home late in the night then pray just Magrib and Isha.

Can you clarify on this. Please don't ask for source.

2 Likes

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by hustler86(m): 10:21am On Oct 19, 2018
Jazakallahu khayran op for this. May Allah Forgive us all

1 Like

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by hassinho707(m): 10:41am On Oct 19, 2018
Is it compulsory for people to wake me up for prayer when I'm sleeping?
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:42am On Oct 19, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Bring the lists of the other legitimate excuses and the corresponding authentic evidences from shari'a.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2018
hassinho707:

It is better to wake him up for him to meet the congregation in the mosque (if male). Compulsory Prayers in congregation has more rewards than one prayed alone and prayers made at its first period has more rewards.

Allah knows best.

1 Like

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Hassan88(m): 10:58am On Oct 19, 2018
hassinho707:
Sallam Alaikum, to my understanding, it depends on your state of mind as at that moment. I will say Its not really compulsory but neccessary. May Almighty Allah forgive us all
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:19am On Oct 19, 2018
fruqy:
What about travellers?

I have heard instances where some travellers, after missing Zhur and Asr prayer, maybe get home late in the night then pray just Magrib and Isha.

Can you clarify on this. Please don't ask for source.

SarakiBukola:

May Almighty Allah forgive me, but it's easier said than done especially with exams.

While studying in the West, how can you ask a tutor to make exceptions for you because you want to pray ?

May God forgive us all...

The post was about Excuses for neglecting the Salah till after its time. There is also a concept of Joining prayers and Shortening prayers.

The meaning of shortening prayers is that the four-rak’ah prayers become two rak’ahs when travelling.

As for joining prayers, it means that the worshiper joins two prayers, Zuhr and ‘Asr, or Maghrib and ‘Isha’, at the time of the earlier or later of the two prayers.

So for example, if i have a three-hour exam by 1pm and Salah time for Zuhr is currently 1:20pm and Asr is 3:55pm in my location then i will delay the prayer till after exam. So i will pray Zuhr and Asr immediately after the exam.

But sometimes we do make mistakes. The time for Zuhr currently is around 12:40pm in Lagos now. So one is expected to have prayed Zuhr before a 1pm or 2pm Exam.

Note that the time of Solah is not a single particular time! It is a period of which the early part is more rewarding than the later part.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (22/293):

The reason for shortening prayers is travelling only, and it is not permissible in situations other than travelling. As for joining prayers, the reason for it is need and excuses, so if a person needs to he may join both shortened and full-length prayers whilst travelling, and he may join prayers when it is raining and so on, or because of sickness and the like, and for other reasons, because the purpose behind it is to spare the ummah(Muslim nation) hardship.

1 Like

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Empiree: 12:32pm On Oct 19, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Bring the lists of the other legitimate excuses and the corresponding authentic evidence from shari'a.

No Salah When Food Is Presented

Chapter: It is disliked to offer salat in the presence of food that one wants to eat. It is disliked to offer salat while restraining the urge to relieve oneself, and so on

Ibn Atiq reported:

Al-Qasim was in the presence of 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) that I narrated a hadith and Qasim was a man who committed errors in (pronouncing words) and his mother was a freed slave-girl. 'A'isha said to him: What is the matter with you that you do not narrate as this son of my brother narrated (the ahaditb)? Well I know from where you picked it up. This is how his mother brought him up and how your mother brought you up. Qasim felt angry (on this remark of Hadrat 'A'isha) and showed bitterness towards her. When he saw that the table had been spread for 'A'isha, he stood up, 'A'isha, said: Where are you going? He said: (I am going) to say prayer. She said: Sit down (to take the food). He said: I must say prayer. She said: Sit down, ) faithless, for I have heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: No prayer can be (rightly said) when the food is there (before the worshipper), or when he is prompted by the call of nature.

Reference : Sahih Muslim 560 a
In-book reference : Book 5, Hadith 84
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 4, Hadith 1139

There are other valid excuses but laziness, tiredness work, school etc are not excuses. Those who are in school or work, this is why it is recommended to always be on wudhu. You can definitely offer salah in your exam room. You may even use your eyes to pray. Salah is absolutely obligatory. It is the only obligatory act commissioned from above..

Eamples of other valid excuses are:

Emergency, like you are a medical doctor and a patient needs immidiate attention and it falls in the time of salah, saving life is more important at that moment.

A pregnant woman in labor at the time of salah etc

The hadith you quoted only established valid excuses. It doesn't mean those are the only 2 valid ones.

1 Like

Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
Empiree:

No Salah When Food Is Presented

Chapter: It is disliked to offer salat in the presence of food that one wants to eat. It is disliked to offer salat while restraining the urge to relieve oneself, and so on

Ibn Atiq reported:

Al-Qasim was in the presence of 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) that I narrated a hadith and Qasim was a man who committed errors in (pronouncing words) and his mother was a freed slave-girl. 'A'isha said to him: What is the matter with you that you do not narrate as this son of my brother narrated (the ahaditb)? Well I know from where you picked it up. This is how his mother brought him up and how your mother brought you up. Qasim felt angry (on this remark of Hadrat 'A'isha) and showed bitterness towards her. When he saw that the table had been spread for 'A'isha, he stood up, 'A'isha, said: Where are you going? He said: (I am going) to say prayer. She said: Sit down (to take the food). He said: I must say prayer. She said: Sit down, ) faithless, for I have heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: No prayer can be (rightly said) when the food is there (before the worshipper), or when he is prompted by the call of nature.

Reference : Sahih Muslim 560 a
In-book reference : Book 5, Hadith 84
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 4, Hadith 1139

There are other valid excuses but laziness, tiredness work, school etc are not excuses. Those who are in school or work, this is why it is recommended to always be on wudhu. You can definitely offer salah in your exam room. You may even use your eyes to pray. Salah is absolutely obligatory. It is the only obligatory act commissioned from above..

Eamples of other valid excuses are:

Emergency, like you are a medical doctor and a patient needs immidiate attention and it falls in the time of salah, saving life is more important at that moment.

A pregnant woman in labor at the time of salah etc

The hadith you quoted only established valid excuses. It doesn't mean those are the only 2 valid ones.

sad food can not let you miss the prayer till the time of that prayer goes! You may miss congregation though!
Beware of how you interpret hadith.
Read the points i raised on joining Salah and Shortening prayers up there.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Empiree: 1:39pm On Oct 19, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

sad food can not let you miss the prayer till the time of that prayer goes! You may miss congregation though!
Beware of how you interpret hadith.
Read the points i raised on joining Salah and Shortening prayers up there.
is anything need to be said after posting clear text?. I didn't even interpreted or gave my opinion on the hadith. I only showed you that food takes precedence over prayer if
both coincide simultaneously.

There is no need to twist anything.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Empiree:
is anything need to be said after posting clear text?. I didn't even interpreted or gave my opinion on the hadith. I only showed you that food takes precedence over prayer if
both coincide simultaneously.

There is no need to twist anything.

You posted a Saheeh Hadith, fine. But the context is wrong!

The period of Salah is usually between almost an hour or more! How can someone eat from Zuhr till Asr, or From Asr till Magrib or Even from Magrib to 'ishaa?

No one should miss Salah because of food till its period goes! If food is ready at Salah time, leave Salah and eat. After eating, go and pray! The prayer still fall within its time and not after.
Re: Excuses For Missing Salah (prayer) by NorthernSerene(m): 3:31pm On Oct 19, 2018
Good one, may Allah reward you.

(1) (Reply)

Islam: Protest And Labour Strike / The Filth Of Tribalism; A Stain On Our Eeman / Tell us Tafseer Sessions Available In Your Area During Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.