Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,867 members, 7,806,464 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy (37263 Views)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / My Very Ugly Experience With Cross Country Transport. Pictures attached!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Hayurlah: 8:48pm On Oct 19, 2018
[quote author=ARS1 post=72235618]Long epistle alert!

It all started around January last year when I made up my mind to enroll for PhD program in Australia. Those who have passed through this stage will perfectly understand how tedious the process is- starting from putting in place a novel research proposal, getting a professor to supervise your project and finally, securing funding for your program. To be honest, one needs to be highly motivated and dedicated to survive these hurdles.

I must confess, my dedication and perseverance really paid off after series of rejections as I was able to get the consent of three supervisors from different universities who were willing to support my applications. Between July and December 2017, I had completed the application process for admission and funding. To God be the glory, the results started coming out in April 2018. Two of the Universities offered me admission with full funding (stipend + tuition+ family insurance cover) while the third University offered only admission without funding.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that one of the Universities is in G8 (equivalent of ivy league) What a great news! Without waisting time, I quickly accepted the offer from this Universty for obvious reasons. Apart from the fact that the University is consistently ranked among the top 50 in the world, my department is also ranked among the top 10 in the world. In view of this, I had to reject other offers.

As soon as my COE was issued, I quickly submitted my Visa application on June 26, 2018. To avoid unnecessary issue, every document was submitted with my application. To my surprise, I got no response from DIBP on my application after three months. Then, I decided to send a polite email to DIBP on 6th October 2018 on progress of my application as my enrollment deadline was 14th October 2018. Alas, I got a refusal notice on 9th October 2018.

In the refusal notice, the visa officer submitted that she was not convinced that I met the genuine entry requirement as I do not have strong ties to return to my country despite the fact that I didn't not apply together with my family. She further posited that she was not convinced that PhD is beneficial to my career goal as a tutor. What an insult again!

The refusal notice was quickly sent to the graduate school and my supervisor. This unfair decision did not meet my supervisor well as she quickly sought the intervention of the University. In her email to the graduate school, she clearly mentioned that this is the most disgusting reason for visa refusal she has ever heard. While she has hoped for the intervention of the University, I understand that the University might not be able to reverse the decision of DIBP as there is no option for appeal.

Given this dilemma, it will be appreciated if any useful advice could be given.

Call me on 09067952638 i will definitely help you out.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by rayornb(m): 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2018
bonifaceadum:
austrians are somewhat racially intolerant set of people

Australians or Aussies

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by enonche85(m): 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2018
jesmond3945:
Do you have any investment like landed documents and bank accounts? Both family and financial ties should be presented. Also did you put a good SOP? thats another reason. Maybe your SOP was not convincing enough.

True. I think SOP is a reason why he was rejected.

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Alaadin(m): 8:49pm On Oct 19, 2018
judebebo32:
I really don’t know much about Australian Immigration system. However here is my advice,
First I advice you reapply as soon as possible, get a recommendation letter from your prospective supervisor also support your application with explanation letter. In the letter explain why the program would improve your career and your plans after graduation. Also explain that your family members are in Nigeria as part of home ties. If the resumption deadline is passed, you can defer your admission before reapplying.
All the best
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ugosample(m): 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2018
Goldaccumulator:
why cant you do your phd i uniport? angry

what is this one saying too undecided

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by DWJOBScom(m): 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2018
judebebo32:
I really don’t know much about Australian Immigration system. However here is my advice,
First I advice you reapply as soon as possible, get a recommendation letter from your prospective supervisor also support your application with explanation letter. In the letter explain why the program would improve your career and your plans after graduation. Also explain that your family members are in Nigeria as part of home ties. If the resumption deadline is passed, you can defer your admission before reapplying.
All the best

Well done!
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Goldaccumulator: 8:51pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ugosample:

what is this one saying too undecided
i said why cant he do his phd in uniport

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by AgentGoat: 8:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
budusky05:
When Nnamdi Kwunu travel go Israel without passport what do you expect from embassies?

They can't trust Nigerians
grin grin
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Obidikeatuegwu(m): 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2018
I was refused Visa for Exactly same reasons too. I know of two other guys that had theirs refused for same reasons too. Still recovering from the shock. I suppose that's the politest way of saying "we don't want you guys from the shithole no more"

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ugosample(m): 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2018
Goldaccumulator:
i said why cant he do his phd in uniport
why should he do a PhD in Port Harcourt
Nigerian schools that you will not learn anything

4 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ugosample(m): 8:54pm On Oct 19, 2018
Obidikeatuegwu:
I was refused Visa for Exactly same reasons too. I know of two other guys that had theirs refused for same reasons too. Still recovering from the shock. I suppose that's the politest way of saying "we don't want you guys from the shithole no more"

yea

they have a trump wannabe in govt in Australia too
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by AngelicBeing: 8:58pm On Oct 19, 2018
Ugosample:

why should he do a PhD in Port Harcourt

Nigerian schools that you will not learn anything
grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Hoodbilonia: 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2018
australia na end of the world
u think say na beans to enter australia
go watch border control for reality tv
u go hate to enter australia
dia bursting nor be here o

if u scam australian client
if she nor trace u come naija
den your ogume strong

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by toluene1234: 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2018
When you know you do not have anything positive to contribute, y must you now comment. If you are privileged to be in his shoes may be you will understand why he's going to Australia for his PhD.. it's not compulsory you contribute. A lot of people can learn from what is going through.
mubaking:
y u sef no sit ur yansh for one place?

6 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by sentra05: 9:01pm On Oct 19, 2018
naijacann:
This is so ridiculous. Racism at its worst! The guys at the embassy are so uncomfortable with a black person getting funding from Australia for doctoral study. I have never been this angry and disappointed at an embassy....its an obvious case of racism and discrimination.
They wouldn't refuse an American or any other white person visa based on such ridiculous reasons.
I wish I knew the schools, I would have applied from here in Canada(I'm a Canadian citizen of Nigerian descent), get the admission and funding, and of course easy study visa, and then I will decline the visa after issuance, with a strongly worded letter to the Australian immigration here, in solid solidarity with the OP.
So sick of these embassies.

I understand you clearly but unfortunately a beggar has no choice. The state of Nigeria affects everyone in every area. Racism? Probably but the truth is that the chances of Nigerians suffering racism and discrimination from whites will be higher than black south Africans and this is because south Africa as a country has more value than Nigeria. This is why i cry everyday that Nigeria should stand up among the comity of nations because this is the only way citizens can gain rspect. As long as Nigeria remains a shithole, the chances of these bulshits happening to nigerians will be high. Respect is earned.

5 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by fredylee: 9:01pm On Oct 19, 2018
Nigeria, our dear country has a pathetic image across the world. A friend of mine recently applied for a visa to a European country, name withheld. On appearance, he was bluntly told by a mischievously smiling visa officer that his application had been rejected, with a thunderous stamp on his passport. And he had the requisite requirements! What nonsense! Shame!

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Lordkross(m): 9:05pm On Oct 19, 2018
chily11:
Blame Buhari for this, he has spoilt our image that countries now bully Nigerians even Ghana too... It will never be well for all that campaigned for this lifeless body

Sorry bro, i also campaigned for the numb, but i have since retraced my steps to voting for anybody but him. God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Afamed: 9:05pm On Oct 19, 2018
BIAFRONIGERIAN:
Chai
Buhari have scattered this country's image that a whole intellectual is seen as a prospective fugitive.
OP, just vote Atiku and it shall be well
Mugu, who does not know ethics of visa applications.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Coldfeets: 9:06pm On Oct 19, 2018
It's always a delight when you read a beautifully composed post.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by StudyCrestLtd: 9:06pm On Oct 19, 2018
ARS1:
Long epistle alert!

It all started around January last year when I made up my mind to enroll for PhD program in Australia. Those who have passed through this stage will perfectly understand how tedious the process is- starting from putting in place a novel research proposal, getting a professor to supervise your project and finally, securing funding for your program. To be honest, one needs to be highly motivated and dedicated to survive these hurdles.

I must confess, my dedication and perseverance really paid off after series of rejections as I was able to get the consent of three supervisors from different universities who were willing to support my applications. Between July and December 2017, I had completed the application process for admission and funding. To God be the glory, the results started coming out in April 2018. Two of the Universities offered me admission with full funding (stipend + tuition+ family insurance cover) while the third University offered only admission without funding.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that one of the Universities is in G8 (equivalent of ivy league) What a great news! Without waisting time, I quickly accepted the offer from this Universty for obvious reasons. Apart from the fact that the University is consistently ranked among the top 50 in the world, my department is also ranked among the top 10 in the world. In view of this, I had to reject other offers.

As soon as my COE was issued, I quickly submitted my Visa application on June 26, 2018. To avoid unnecessary issue, every document was submitted with my application. To my surprise, I got no response from DIBP on my application after three months. Then, I decided to send a polite email to DIBP on 6th October 2018 on progress of my application as my enrollment deadline was 14th October 2018. Alas, I got a refusal notice on 9th October 2018.

In the refusal notice, the visa officer submitted that she was not convinced that I met the genuine entry requirement as I do not have strong ties to return to my country despite the fact that I didn't not apply together with my family. She further posited that she was not convinced that PhD is beneficial to my career goal as a tutor. What an insult again!

The refusal notice was quickly sent to the graduate school and my supervisor. This unfair decision did not meet my supervisor well as she quickly sought the intervention of the University. In her email to the graduate school, she clearly mentioned that this is the most disgusting reason for visa refusal she has ever heard. While she has hoped for the intervention of the University, I understand that the University might not be able to reverse the decision of DIBP as there is no option for appeal.

First, permit me to empathise with you. Visa refusal can be frustrating and tiring.
Please do not have the feeling that it is of racism as every country as their policy of granting study visa's for example, the UK is less concerned about your social economic home ties, but when it comes to the Republic of Ireland, USA, Canada and Australia, they are concerned about a student proving his/her social economic home ties.
How I wish I could go through your information and the refusal note given to you.
Your refusal was centred on your ability to convince them under the GTE.
You can contact me with more details at info@studycrest.com.

Best Regards

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by otokx(m): 9:07pm On Oct 19, 2018
Are you a lecturer in a Nigerian university?
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by dsocioemmy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 19, 2018
Goldaccumulator:
why cant you do your phd i uniport? angry

Bro, is Ph.D in Uniport that fast?
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by maasoap(m): 9:09pm On Oct 19, 2018
helpee:
Never mind them. When we tell Nigerians to stop abusing visa dem no go hear.
Three things....you probably have no travel history so there is no way to know you won't abuse your visa.
Secondly, your financial status...as per account submitted shows you have nothing strong doing in Nigeria so you won't likely come back. The fact that you got funding has covered the cost of your stay there. The fact that you probably dont earn much in Nigeria means you are as good as immigrating to Australia. Thirdly, that your family is in Nigeria is a further proof you want to go and hustle first before inviting them. If you are well to do, you would apply for all of them at once but you know it will cost you so much so they know you are going to hustle. More so as a PHD student, your wife is entitled to also work full time in Australia but you left her behind because you can't afford it for now. It is not fair but you can't blame them . our people do spoil our visa reputation and we all often support them

Too much story. It's pure discrimination

4 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by rhames(m): 9:11pm On Oct 19, 2018
ARS1:
Long epistle alert!

Of all the places you want to get your Phd, it is Australia that you decided to pitch your tent. The current stance of the present government in Australia is anti- immigration and I believe that if you are current with news you might have decided against applying to a school there. Anti immigration in most of these white dominated countries is based on one single issue: racism. Ask the New Zealanders about migrating to Australia and they will tell you its easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for their citizens to get to Australia. Because of mass migration and racism, the Australians moved their Nigeria and West Africa Visa section to South Africa and later back to Australia.

My Advice is dont insist on Australian Phd. You can go to UK Ivy League Colleges such London School of Economics and Political Sciences, Cambridge and Oxford to do your Ph.D without facing immigration problems. Much as their education is world class, you can find the same in USA and Canada if you care to search.

Wishing you good luck.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by emperorlaqrin: 9:13pm On Oct 19, 2018
my advice for you is to get an influential person to write the embassy immediately. this was the same thing my boss daughter went through immediately the father intervened as a Senior advocate of Nigeria na sharp sharp
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2018
It's a pity you had to be treated that way. Don't loose hope, you can still try again later. Moreover, you'll have to put it in prayer- you know the days are evil.
Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by FisifunKododada: 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2018
Come to think of it, Australia used to be a black country before the white devils came and killed them and took their lands.

OP are you one of the people that goes around NL supporting Donald Trump? Because what Australia did to you, is exactly what Trump wants America to also do.

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by maasoap(m): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2018
Obidikeatuegwu:

Yeah, when you take joy in calling your country a shithole, that's the reward which await you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Areaboy2(m): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2018
I hardly reply on the forum...but this story got me.. very disgusting behaviour.. even with a well reputable university? Australia has the worst attitude when it comes to visa application.. I love my pride.. I'll always stay away from allowing these high school or diploma holders insult my intelligence..

So imagine you if you had gotten it and you reach ground breaking research.. these same idiots will quickly claim you as theirs.. bloody wombats..

Bro.. two things..
1. Search for the same thing in Canada or the U.S. and go through the process again.
2. Request a differed admission from the uni and apply all over again.. I'm guessing you're married.. make it clear and that you're not travelling with them.. if that isn't strong tie enough then they can go shag their koalas..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by FisifunKododada: 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2018
maasoap:

Yeah, when you take joy in calling your country a shithole, that's the reward which await you.

Don't mind them. They rubbish their own country with their own dirty words and deeds and then wonder why 'dem no give dem visa' grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Areaboy2(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2018
FisifunKododada:
Come to think of it, Australia used to be a black country before the white devils came and killed them and took their lands.

OP are you one of the people that goes around NL supporting Donald Trump? Because what Australia did to you, is exactly what Trump wants America to also do.

Trump is learning work where Australia is..

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Newboss(m): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2018
fredylee:

Nigeria, our dear country has a pathetic image across the world. A friend of mine recently applied for a visa to a European country, name withheld. On appearance, he was bluntly told by a mischievously smiling visa officer that his application had been rejected, with a thunderous stamp on his passport. And he had the requisite requirements! What nonsense! Shame!
Savage angry LMAO angry angry Hahahahahaha angry LWKMD angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Driver Crashes Into A Residential Building After Accident Caused By Insect. Pics / 5 Types Of Police Vehicles / Man Volunteers His Car to Rescue Accident Victims in Abuja, as Others Refuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.