Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy (37271 Views)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / My Very Ugly Experience With Cross Country Transport. Pictures attached!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Buffalowings3(m): 11:45pm On Oct 19, 2018
RayJinble:

My brother stop crying foul... No be embassy fault, it's the fault of our brothers that have gone to the embassy before us.... They promised to come back home afterwards but...

On the issue of racism..... You don't just show up in another man's land and expect all off them to like you for no reason..... Some of us go there for honest jobs I agree but unfortunately some of us also go there to reck the system and clog their jails in a bid to make it big.... How many persons do you know in Malaysia right now that's there for honest legit reasons?....Some months ago, some NIGERIAN rival cult groups were reported to have clashed swords in the streets of China for some clumsy reason known to them and afterwards the Chinese authorities demanded that henceforth no Nigerian should be accommodated in any of the hotels in the city blablabla....
My point is....don't completely blame the foreigners for their strict attitude towards us, we have a share in the blame too... They are only been protective/security conscious of viruses and parasites that try to infest their country daily..... We are useless to their economy but keep brewing threats here and there when shown mercy..... If you don't like the way I treat you in my house...go back and build yours.. Simple..... It's their country and they have the right to refuse you entry if you pose as a nuisant or are just useless to them economy-wise don't interpret it as wickedness.....rather, be motivated...

After all..... Our ancestors once kicked Ghana out of our country
They got motivated and now we envy them smiley

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by homirefacuny(m): 11:59pm On Oct 19, 2018
naijacann:
This is so ridiculous. Racism at its worst! The guys at the embassy are so uncomfortable with a black person getting funding from Australia for doctoral study. I have never been this angry and disappointed at an embassy....its an obvious case of racism and discrimination.
They wouldn't refuse an American or any other white person visa based on such ridiculous reasons.
I wish I knew the schools, I would have applied from here in Canada(I'm a Canadian citizen of Nigerian descent), get the admission and funding, and of course easy study visa, and then I will decline the visa after issuance, with a strongly worded letter to the Australian immigration here, in solid solidarity with the OP.
So sick of these embassies.

My brother it is getting messier for Nigerians day after day to secure visas even for the genuine reasons. We have been bleeped by our leaders. If our educational system is top notch and the environment is conducive. No one would be going abroad in the first case. Lord have mercy on us.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by VULCAN(m): 12:02am On Oct 20, 2018
Not anybody, be strategic. Only Atiku and Peter Obi can unseat them. It is going to be war in Feb and none of the other candidates have a pistol talkless of a nuclear weapon.

Lordkross:

Sorry bro, i also campaigned for the numb, but i have since retraced my steps to voting for anybody but him. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by emkz: 12:06am On Oct 20, 2018
The same way I won a fellowship to go to a Canadian university for a month; the second visa application was rejected for doing what was recommended for the first visa rejection. Of course I sent them a letter to bare my mind. Mind you, they would never give me a visa again. Citizens from certain countries are not valued, it is sad that Nigeria falls in this category. Visa rejections for academic purposes are unjustifiable and should be unacceptable. I am sorry bro, you may need to defer your admission and request your university handles the visa application as a mediator. It works in the Netherlands, just find out if it may be possible for Australia.

5 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ugosample(m): 12:10am On Oct 20, 2018
emkz:
The same way I won a fellowship to go to a Canadian university for a month; the second visa application was rejected for doing what was recommended for the first visa rejection. Of course I sent them a letter to bare my mind. Mind you, they would never give me a visa again. Citizens from certain countries are not valued, it is sad that Nigeria falls in this category. Visa rejections for academic purposes are unjustifiable and should be unacceptable. I am sorry bro, you may need to defer your admission and request your university handles the visa application as a mediator. It works in the Netherlands, just find out if it may be possible for Australia.

a big shame really

Nigerians are now tossed around by these people' with NO consequence undecided
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by iamclime(m): 12:16am On Oct 20, 2018
jesmond3945:
Do you have any investment like landed documents and bank accounts? Both family and financial ties should be presented. Also did you put a good SOP? thats another reason. Maybe your SOP was not convincing enough.
I agree with this.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by wristbangle: 12:20am On Oct 20, 2018
Kenekingisback:
But where is lalasticlala sef undecided

Welcome back king. How was your sabbatical?
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by biggysmalls: 12:21am On Oct 20, 2018
You can apply again with an Australian based lawyer not even with an Australian Australian immgration agent , just a lawyer, that will be helpful and quicker in your case.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Onyxnaija: 12:30am On Oct 20, 2018
Every day Nigerians of all backgrounds are given various visas to come to Australia. Visa is not a right but a privilege. Go through your application, try to figure out what you wrote in it that gave your caseworker the impression that you are not a genuine temporary enterant. Then reapply! As a Nigerian born Australian, I’ll say that Australia is one of the fairest countries on earth so please don’t be biased. All the best!

11 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by biggysmalls: 12:37am On Oct 20, 2018
ARS1:
Long epistle alert!

It all started around January last year when I made up my mind to enroll for PhD program in Australia. Those who have passed through this stage will perfectly understand how tedious the process is- starting from putting in place a novel research proposal, getting a professor to supervise your project and finally, securing funding for your program. To be honest, one needs to be highly motivated and dedicated to survive these hurdles.

I must confess, my dedication and perseverance really paid off after series of rejections as I was able to get the consent of three supervisors from different universities who were willing to support my applications. Between July and December 2017, I had completed the application process for admission and funding. To God be the glory, the results started coming out in April 2018. Two of the Universities offered me admission with full funding (stipend + tuition+ family insurance cover) while the third University offered only admission without funding.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that one of the Universities is in G8 (equivalent of ivy league) What a great news! Without waisting time, I quickly accepted the offer from this Universty for obvious reasons. Apart from the fact that the University is consistently ranked among the top 50 in the world, my department is also ranked among the top 10 in the world. In view of this, I had to reject other offers.

As soon as my COE was issued, I quickly submitted my Visa application on June 26, 2018. To avoid unnecessary issue, every document was submitted with my application. To my surprise, I got no response from DIBP on my application after three months. Then, I decided to send a polite email to DIBP on 6th October 2018 on progress of my application as my enrollment deadline was 14th October 2018. Alas, I got a refusal notice on 9th October 2018.

In the refusal notice, the visa officer submitted that she was not convinced that I met the genuine entry requirement as I do not have strong ties to return to my country despite the fact that I didn't not apply together with my family. She further posited that she was not convinced that PhD is beneficial to my career goal as a tutor. What an insult again!

The refusal notice was quickly sent to the graduate school and my supervisor. This unfair decision did not meet my supervisor well as she quickly sought the intervention of the University. In her email to the graduate school, she clearly mentioned that this is the most disgusting reason for visa refusal she has ever heard. While she has hoped for the intervention of the University, I understand that the University might not be able to reverse the decision of DIBP as there is no option for appeal.

Given this dilemma, it will be appreciated if any useful advice could be given.

Hey,
I lived in Australia for a while and I pretty know how the system works,you can definitly appeal the Visa officers decision that's your entitlement but I think you need may need to do it via a solicitor. I will advise you reach out to good friends or family over there to get I contact with a solicitor in Australia in person it's a cup of tea for them.
They usually charge between 1200 to 1500 aud for visa applications. When the embassy sees your appeal with a solicitor the visa officer will seat up. That's my take Godbless.

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by ttmacoy: 12:51am On Oct 20, 2018
We can be as angry as we want or claim racism etc but the fact remains until we fix our country and get it to a point where there is more reason for Nigerians to want to to stay than leave we will continue to be viewed with suspicion. Couple that will lots of Nigerians abusing visas all over the place. We share a lot of blame.

Hopefully the OP is able to reapply and prove he is genuine.

naijacann:
This is so ridiculous. Racism at its worst! The guys at the embassy are so uncomfortable with a black person getting funding from Australia for doctoral study. I have never been this angry and disappointed at an embassy....its an obvious case of racism and discrimination.
They wouldn't refuse an American or any other white person visa based on such ridiculous reasons.
I wish I knew the schools, I would have applied from here in Canada(I'm a Canadian citizen of Nigerian descent), get the admission and funding, and of course easy study visa, and then I will decline the visa after issuance, with a strongly worded letter to the Australian immigration here, in solid solidarity with the OP.
So sick of these embassies.

3 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by salford1: 1:35am On Oct 20, 2018
emperorlaqrin:
my advice for you is to get an influential person to write the embassy immediately. this was the same thing my boss daughter went through immediately the father intervened as a Senior advocate of Nigeria na sharp sharp
I know someone that tried this SAN angle for Canada visit visa. Her husband, a SAN wrote the embassy after the lady's application was held up at the Canadian embassy for months. They just denied the application sharply like a week after the letter was received. Embassies don't care.

10 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by salford1: 1:41am On Oct 20, 2018
flyingdutchman:
1) It's the Pretoria office of the Australian high Commission. They hate anything good for Nigerians. I live in Australia and I know that! Watch out for South and East Africans, they are deadly and hate us for our ambitions.

2) Get a supporting letter from your employees saying: a) They agree to release you to improve yourself in PHD.
b) Get a letter from the office of the secretary of the federation making same claims that your skills and knowledge will be useful in rebuilding Nigeria educational sector.

C) Get your employees to say they expect you to return home after program.

3) Search for "Peter Dutton", Minister of Immigration, petition him telling him that the Pretoria immigration office, has once again spooled a beautiful thing with biased judgement. Give him all your details. DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!

IN AUSTRALIA, KNOWINF RELEVANT LAWS HELP A LOT. READ THE MIGRATION LAW ESPECIALLY FOR STUDY VISA AND GO FOR IT!

Your case should be this: Why should mine be different
Visa is a privilege not a right. The suggestions here should work hopefully.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by KlausMike(m): 1:43am On Oct 20, 2018
I experienced a similar situation last year December....I got admission to study a masters program in computing with university of Adelaide only to receive the same genuine temporary entry not satisfactory news..the funny thing is it wasn't even scholarship.... I sharpaly bone Australia....currently studying in canada with my family grin

5 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ojady(m): 2:09am On Oct 20, 2018
My brother, welcome to the discriminative nature of travel especially if its the first time. I was going to ask what your travel history was like but, then I remembered that my European, American, Asian friends find it hard to believe, when I tell them I was denied for never travelling prior to my first application. It is only towards Nigerians perhaps Indians a close second, that such nonsense explanation is tendered. Sadly they deny the visa and pocket the full application money which includes payment for the visa printing & stamping it on your passport if it is issued. Some folks on here argue it is down to Nigerians overstaying which is a fact, however, a lot of these foreign immigration officials lack basic common sense with regards to the intepretation of submitted documents. They read your documents and if your cover letter is missing or explained in such basic terms that a 4 year old could understand, then, get ready to pay another application fee.

It also begs the questioning of their being termed developed/G8 countries - being developed is making corruption legitimate, the more you can conceal your oppressive systems using legitimate mediums the more developed you are thought to be... the Australian embassy should, rather than deny the application, invite the applicant to clarify grey areas and decide based on that...

3 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by 1metre: 2:12am On Oct 20, 2018
helpee:
Never mind them. When we tell Nigerians to stop abusing visa dem no go hear.
Three things....you probably have no travel history so there is no way to know you won't abuse your visa.
Secondly, your financial status...as per account submitted shows you have nothing strong doing in Nigeria so you won't likely come back. The fact that you got funding has covered the cost of your stay there. The fact that you probably dont earn much in Nigeria means you are as good as immigrating to Australia. Thirdly, that your family is in Nigeria is a further proof you want to go and hustle first before inviting them. If you are well to do, you would apply for all of them at once but you know it will cost you so much so they know you are going to hustle. More so as a PHD student, your wife is entitled to also work full time in Australia but you left her behind because you can't afford it for now. It is not fair but you can't blame them . our people do spoil our visa reputation and we all often support them
true talk
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by enemyofprogress: 2:34am On Oct 20, 2018
Op come to Cotonou and study, I am there right now
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by ukcatlover(m): 2:42am On Oct 20, 2018
OP first I will say sorry about the refusal I will advice you that if you can appeal please do just that it will cost you because you have to pay appeal fees but believe me you have 95% chance of geting the visa if you appeal

I was refused visa by my case officer in South Africa in 2014 for no reason and he did not ask me to provide more documents to support my application which I found very sentimental so I went for appeal and paid the fees after 9 months I was contacted on a date for video call interview and funny enough they were just asking simple stupid questions because they knew that my case officer made a wrong decision and they congratulated me that I got the visa

So I went for my medical and in one month I got my visa grant on my email. So they just refuse sometimes and most people relax and don’t appeal.

Good luck with your next step but don’t give up please

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Uwaomapaul(m): 2:55am On Oct 20, 2018
My dear sorry for your predicaments, I can understand you made the applications on your own, Australian does not issues directly study visa to international students, you must pass through their certified immigration agent, especially when it comes to Nigeria ��, South Africa has a little more preference than other African countries because of the embassy in their country. Secondly check your refusal letter if you can appeal it, send me WhatsApp on this lines let’s go from there. +61420201388 or +2347030671388

It all started around January last year when I made up my mind to enroll for PhD program in Australia. Those who have passed through this stage will perfectly understand how tedious the process is- starting from putting in place a novel research proposal, getting a professor to supervise your project and finally, securing funding for your program. To be honest, one needs to be highly motivated and dedicated to survive these hurdles.

I must confess, my dedication and perseverance really paid off after series of rejections as I was able to get the consent of three supervisors from different universities who were willing to support my applications. Between July and December 2017, I had completed the application process for admission and funding. To God be the glory, the results started coming out in April 2018. Two of the Universities offered me admission with full funding (stipend + tuition+ family insurance cover) while the third University offered only admission without funding.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that one of the Universities is in G8 (equivalent of ivy league) What a great news! Without waisting time, I quickly accepted the offer from this Universty for obvious reasons. Apart from the fact that the University is consistently ranked among the top 50 in the world, my department is also ranked among the top 10 in the world. In view of this, I had to reject other offers.

As soon as my COE was issued, I quickly submitted my Visa application on June 26, 2018. To avoid unnecessary issue, every document was submitted with my application. To my surprise, I got no response from DIBP on my application after three months. Then, I decided to send a polite email to DIBP on 6th October 2018 on progress of my application as my enrollment deadline was 14th October 2018. Alas, I got a refusal notice on 9th October 2018.

In the refusal notice, the visa officer submitted that she was not convinced that I met the genuine entry requirement as I do not have strong ties to return to my country despite the fact that I didn't not apply together with my family. She further posited that she was not convinced that PhD is beneficial to my career goal as a tutor. What an insult again!

The refusal notice was quickly sent to the graduate school and my supervisor. This unfair decision did not meet my supervisor well as she quickly sought the intervention of the University. In her email to the graduate school, she clearly mentioned that this is the most disgusting reason for visa refusal she has ever heard. While she has hoped for the intervention of the University, I understand that the University might not be able to reverse the decision of DIBP as there is no option for appeal.

[/quote]
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Nobody: 3:19am On Oct 20, 2018
ARS1:
Long epistle alert!

Brother, as we speak I am in Melbourne doing my PhD too, I think we applied around the same time and I got my visa in 13 days. I must say that I didn't apply from Naija sha. You really need to reapply and give more convincing reason why you would not want to stay one day after your PhD. We can talk and maybe I can share some of the details that assisted me with you, if you want. Contact me on joofunso@hotmail.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Juliearth(f): 4:12am On Oct 20, 2018
judebebo32:
I really don’t know much about Australian Immigration system. However here is my advice,
First I advice you reapply as soon as possible, get a recommendation letter from your prospective supervisor also support your application with explanation letter. In the letter explain why the program would improve your career and your plans after graduation. Also explain that your family members are in Nigeria as part of home ties. If the resumption deadline is passed, you can defer your admission before reapplying.
All the best

Take this advise!
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by flyingdutchman(m): 4:12am On Oct 20, 2018
salford1:

Visa is a privilege not a right. The suggestions here should work hopefully.
A visa is not a privilege. Provided you have clearly demonstrated your mission and motivations for returning home, no country should deny you entry. Provided, you have no infectious disease, terrorist record or tendencies, why should you be denied entry to embark on a legitimate venture?

Do not be deceived and refuse to take shit sitting down. It happened to me. What did I do? With God's help and wisdom, I rained hell upon them and the decision was hurriedly reversed as they saw that indeed I was unjustly treated.

You are what you say you are.

1 Like

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by flyingdutchman(m): 4:14am On Oct 20, 2018
cnonyechi:

i thought Pretoria is in South Africa
Indeed, it is! That is the processing office for Nigeria. Unfortunately, Nigeria has not got the cahones to demand that they situate their visa processing office in Nigeria.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by mikkyjagga1(m): 4:36am On Oct 20, 2018
Ayam a student in Australia, so make I use pidgin speak am.
Some guys fuckup, they come hold meeting for Naija Mata na him their eyes come open.
Other countries dey suffer am too!
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by SarakiBukola: 4:53am On Oct 20, 2018
maasoap:

Yeah, when you take joy in calling your country a shithole, that's the reward which await you.

FisifunKododada:

Don't mind them. They rubbish their own country with their own dirty words and deeds and then wonder why 'dem no give dem visa' grin grin

I thought i was the only one who reasons like you guys.

Nigerians gleefully denigrate themselves and practically celebrate the "shithole" insult AGAIN and AGAIN. Even Trump himself would have forgotten the comment.

I wonder the wisdom in that. I am relatively well travelled(almost 10 countries) and i never see this kind of foolish behaviour elsewhere

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by equity1(m): 5:48am On Oct 20, 2018
Next2Bezee:
I hope those booking space have actual advice to offer.

This is quite the dilenma, OP. Your grammar control already makes shows your academic prowess. I hope this is resolved, and you leave this shithole of a country.

Goodluck.
Grammar professor, how is your Grammer better than his? go back to what you posted and check if it makes any meaning grammatically. Cattle calling pot black. Mr I too know.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by fratermathy(m): 6:09am On Oct 20, 2018
equity1:
Grammar professor, how is your Grammer grammar better than his? [s]go back to what you posted and check if it makes any meaning grammatically[/s] . Cattle Kettle calling pot black. Mr I too know I-too-know.

Please take your time to read and understand. If you encounter words you do not know, use a dictionary to check their meanings before you assume. The person you quoted actually praised the Op's command of English. He did not denigrate it.

5 Likes

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by IbrahimDamola: 6:35am On Oct 20, 2018
If you want to have a clean slate and to stop being insulted by other countries, divide nigeria, and start afresh in your respective countries. The shithole has a battered image already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by jaypeeclarence: 6:37am On Oct 20, 2018
[quote author=ARS1 post=7223
Hi, I understand your pain. send me an email on jaspersnd64@gmail.com. I applied for an Australian student visa with my family and got the visa in 1 month.
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Nairaprince007: 6:40am On Oct 20, 2018
ARS1:
Long epistle alert!

I read your Article, but you missed out a vital information. What do you do in Nigeria for a living and where?
Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by Ugosample(m): 7:00am On Oct 20, 2018
IbrahimDamola:
If you want to have a clean slate and to stop being insulted by other countries, divide nigeria, and start afresh in your respective countries. The shithole has a battered image already.

that would even be the worst

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ugly Experience With Australian Embassy by sweetilicious(f): 7:17am On Oct 20, 2018
I used to have the dreams to go to Australia for my masters even while I was in 200level.I even suggested this country for some people.Unfortunately, Masters done in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Volunteers His Car to Rescue Accident Victims in Abuja, as Others Refuse / A Nairalander Shares Overnight Camping At Lufasi Park Lekki / Passenger Forcibly Removed From Plane After Pilot Asks Him To Disembark (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.