Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,794 members, 7,802,527 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

The Last Temptation - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Temptation (22273 Views)

The Last Temptation / Temptation / Beyond Temptation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2019
He agreed. She was absolutely right. They thanked God and prayed that the marriage would be joyful and fruitful.

Thereafter, he removed his suit and shirt. When he saw her attempting to zip down her gown, he quickly told her to hold on.

'Don't worry, my dear,' he said. 'I'll come and assist you. It'll be a pleasure.'

He helped her to remove the gown and stared at her body.

'Waoh, you're so gorgeous!'

'Thank you. Now, don't bother any further. I'll remove the rest by myself,' she said.

He smiled warmly. 'You're the queen now. My queen. I'll do anything for you.'

Still, she felt it was so odd that he should completely UnCloth her.

'I'll do the rest by myself,' she insisted.

Alfred smiled again. 'As you wish, my darling.'

'One more thing,' she said, pointing at the fluorescent light.

He looked up at the bulb. 'Yes, what about it?'

'Can you please switch it off?'

He first gazed at her briefly, then burst into laughter.

'Oh my darling, you're no longer a Miss. You're now Mrs. You see this?' He took her left hand and pointed at her glittering wedding ring. He
pointed at his own ring too.

'We are married. The two of us, we are now married! Isn't that wonderful?'

'I know we're married,' she said softly and tried a smile. 'But...' she pointed at the bulb again.

He smiled understandingly. 'Alright. I think I understand. It's going to be a gradual thing. Later, you'll be used to it'.

He made for the switch and off the light went. Still, the reflections of light from the neighboring house dimly illuminated the room. He could
clearly see her sitting on the bed. He went back to her.

'Alfred?' she called gently.

I'm here with you, my dear.' He held her hands.

'Please, be gentle with me.'

'Of course, I'll be. Trust me, dear. If I won't be gentle with my darling, who else will I be gentle with?'

Ada's stomach was fast protruding. The pregnancy was now twenty-six weeks old. She was at home today, at the two bedroom apartment rented by Bayo at off Shyllon street, Palm Groove. She told him she was not feeling too well, and he had given her the day off.

They were relating as if they were already married. Out of the seven days in a week, he stayed with her in that apartment for four days. Sade and her children now played second fiddle. To stave off boredom any day he was not around, Ada had told her sister, Uche, to be living with her.
After all, the place was closer to her campus than their Isolo residence.

After her bath, she wore a t shirt over a pair of shorts and lazed on the couch. Her mind went over her relationship with Bayo so far. He had accepted that he had a new wife in the offing. Though he had not done any formal engagement or wedding, the introduction he had with her
family was as good as laying a solid foundation for a lasting relationship.

Besides, the important thing was that Bayo treated her with love and respect. He took care of her and ensured that he had all that she needed.

Three months ago, he had secured the apartment for her. He had also furnished it, bought gas cooker and brought in some electronics. In her office, the staff, especially that loquacious secretary had come to the surprising reality that Ada was not just a staff of the law firm or a lover of the boss, but was now the 'small madam' of the oga.

The thought of 'small madam', which one of the lawyers had called her brought a little smile to her face. Come to think of it, why was she besotted to Bayo? Why did she drop her anchor, knowing fully well that he was married? The simple answer was that she could not really say. All she knew was that she loved the man and wanted him as her husband.

She was just twenty-four. Why the rush to become a wife? And why the choice of a married man, whether he was happily married or not? Some young lawyers had shown overtures to her before now, she spurned them. Even some men from other professions had shown interest, she was impassive. Look at Nnamdi, for example. He was into the importation of pharmaceutical products and was doing well in the business. Nnamdi had proposed love to her and had shown inclination to readily marry her, but Ada never said yes to him. Even with the prodding and encouragement of her sisters, especially Uche who described Nnamdi as a 'good man', Ada still remained adamant.

READ FULL STORY: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 5:51am On Apr 01, 2019
The thought of 'small madam', which one of the lawyers had called her brought a little smile to her face. Come to think of it, why was she besotted to Bayo? Why did she drop her anchor, knowing fully well that he was married? The simple answer was that she could not really say. All she knew was that she loved the man and wanted him as her husband.

She was just twenty-four. Why the rush to become a wife? And why the choice of a married man, whether he was happily married or not? Some young lawyers had shown overtures to her before now, she spurned them. Even some men from other professions had shown interest, she was impassive. Look at Nnamdi, for example. He was into the importation of pharmaceutical products and was doing well in the business. Nnamdi had proposed love to her and had shown inclination to readily marry her, but Ada never said yes to him. Even with the prodding and encouragement of her sisters, especially Uche who described Nnamdi as a 'good man', Ada still remained adamant.

Now, all that was over. Bayo was the man she had decided to settle with and that was final.

Uche came to meet her in the sitting with her bag containing books strapped to her shoulder.

'You're still around?' Ada asked. 'I thought you've gone to school.'

'I'm about to. How's the baby doing?' Uche asked as if she was her personal nurse who must ensure that everything went well with her and the
unborn baby.

Ada smiled and patted her big tummy. 'The baby is doing fine.'

'I'll be going now. Is there anything you want me to buy for you when I'm coming back?'

Ada appeared to be in thoughts for some moments. 'For now, I can't think of any. If there's anything, I'll call you.'

Uche nodded and went for the door. 'Come and lock the door,' she said.

'No problem, I'll soon come and lock it.'

Ada was left alone. She examined her tummy and wondered what kind of child was growing there. The first scan she went for a couple of weeks ago could not really reveal the sex of the baby. In another couple of weeks, she intended to go for another scan. She was still thinking about the sex of the baby when she dozed off.

Some minutes past four o'clock, Eneh called mama again. The latter said the bus they were travelling in was at Ibadan. That meant by five thirty, they would be arriving Lagos. Eneh and Martin had decided that upon closing from work, they would go to Ojota where it was agreed that they would pick Mama. She rounded up what she was doing and went to meet her husband. He too was clearing his table when she got there.

'Hello, dear,' she greeted warmly. Since no one else was with him, it was convenient for her to greet him in the informal way.

'Hello. How d'you do?'

She sat on the visitor's seat. 'I just called mama, now. She said their bus is at Ibadan.'

He nodded expectantly. 'We thank God for that. That means they'll soon be in Lagos.'

'Yes.'

'We'll drive straight to Ojota to meet her.'

She nodded. Her mother would be coming to Lagos to visit them for the first time since they got married. She had looked forward to seeing her.

They left the office and went to the car park. Many cars were still there which meant many of their colleagues were still around although it
was already closing time.

They went to his Toyota and he reversed out of the lot. From Falomo, Ikoyi to Obalende and the Third Mainland bridge, the traffic was not so
slow but steady.

After the Oworonsoki end of the bridge, he drove on towards Ogudu.

'Mama must have had a tiring journey,' Martin said.

'Yes o. It's not easy to travel by road for more than nine hours.'

'Indeed, it's not easy. But imagine if she's coming from Borno.'

'Ah, that one will take up to twenty four hours. This country indeed is very large.'

'And the diversity is so intriguing. If only we can be united, honest and harness all our potentials, our country will be great.'

Eneh agreed with him. He soon veered off the Lagos Ibadan expressway to link the road that went to Ojota. At the filling station close to the
bus park, he parked. They got out of the car.

'Let me call her number again.' Eneh brought her phone out. Mama picked it after the second ring.

Where're you now, mama?'

'We're at ...' There was a pause. She was probably asking somebody where they were. 'We're at Berger, now.'

'That's good. It means you'll soon get to where we're waiting for you. Don't forget to tell the driver that you'll be getting down at Ojota.'

'Of course, I won't forget.'

They stood by the car where they could observe the traffic of vehicles moving on the express road and those stopping at the filling station. A lot of thoughts went through Martin's mind. He hardly knew his mother in law and he wondered what kind of person she was. Although the brief encounter he had with her showed that she was easy going, one could not sum up somebody's character based on a short encounter. Going by how Eneh described her mother, she appeared to be a little impatient.

READ FULL STORY FROM: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by Ann2012(f): 6:41am On Apr 01, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by izaray(f): 11:53am On Apr 01, 2019
Thanks for the update op
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 5:48am On Apr 02, 2019
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update

izaray:
Thanks for the update op

You are welcome.
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 5:54am On Apr 02, 2019
They stood by the car where they could observe the traffic of vehicles moving on the express road and those stopping at the filling station. A lot of thoughts went through Martin's mind. He hardly knew his mother in law and he wondered what kind of person she was. Although the brief encounter he had with her showed that she was easy going, one could not sum up somebody's character based on a short encounter. Going by how Eneh described her mother, she appeared to be a little impatient.

An eighteen-passenger bus in blue color had parked and one of the passengers that alighted was mama. Eneh pointed his attention to her. There was a warm exchange of greetings as they met her.

'Mama, you're welcome,' Eneh greeted, curtseying. The women hugged each other. Martin was deferent. He knew how one had to be careful when relating with one's -in-laws in Nigeria. They could make or mar one's relationship with one's spouse.

They took her to the waiting car. Mama did not travel light. She had come with several tubers of yams and other foodstuffs. Martin did not
find it easy carrying three heavy sacks, each in turn. These were beside the travelling bag she brought.

They were soon in the car. Eneh had decided to sit at the back seat with mama. He allowed the women to chat excitedly while he nursed his own thoughts. Eneh asked her about every one, including her father's second wife. It was indeed an exciting re-union for them.

When they got to the house, he puffed as he carried each of the sacks to the kitchen store. Eneh offered to help but Martin brushed it off. Mama was shown the guest room and the bathroom where she could refresh herself.

Eneh went on to prepare the sumptuous meal. For the next few days that mama planned to be with them, Martin had planned to give maximum
hospitality to their guest.

Two days after she arrived, mama called Eneh aside.

'How far?' she asked, staring at her tummy. 'Are you pregnant, yet?'

Eneh had been expecting the question. 'No, not yet,' she answered.

'I just want to know,' mama said. 'It's about five months, now.' She sighed and shrugged. 'It's okay, but I hope you won't have the kind of
delay I had. I waited for over a year before I could have you.'

Eneh had heard that before. She was told how mama had to endure a lot of things before she - Eneh - was conceived and born. As mama
referred to it again, she did not say anything.

'But, I hope all is well. I hope he's treating you well.'

'He's trying, mama. He's doing his best.'

Mama nodded and Eneh gave a sigh of relief.

While busy at work, Sade received a phone call from one of her friends. Betty was a friend and a supposed confidant, although Sade had learnt

to be cautious about what she discussed with her. Betty was married, but it was a relationship she described as 'complicated.' She lived on her
own, while the man too did whatever he liked. She said she could not stand the man's chauvinistic views. Since there were no children between
them, they found it easy to part ways.

'Quite an age, Betty. How're you doing?' Sade greeted.

'Folasade, how you de? Long time no see. You've forgotten me, abi? You don't even ask after me again.'

'I'm sorry, dear friend. It's not that I've forgotten you, but pardon me. So, how's life?'

'We thank God o. We're still surviving.'

They chatted more about this and that.

'There's something I want to tell you,' Betty began.

Sade was all ears. 'What could that be?'

'It is about your husband. Do you remember I told you that there's a young lady working for him that he is dating?'

'Is it not that baby lawyer? Yes, you've told me and I remember.'

'Okay, I understand your husband has impregnated that lady.'

'Really?'

'Yes. Not only that, he's planning to marry her. Can you imagine that? He's planning to marry her. I understand he has even rented an
apartment for her and they're making wedding plans.'

Sade felt an headache. She felt her head was spinning. Feeling dazed, she clutched the cell phone to her ear.

'This is becoming very serious,' Sade said. 'But how did you get all these information? Are they from the usual source?'

'Yes. Sandra told me everything.'

Sandra was the talkative secretary that worked in Bayo's office. When the going between Bayo and his wife was good, Betty had told Sade to talk to her husband about employing Sandra, a friend of Betty, in his chamber. Bayo had agreed. So far, he did not know that Sandra was a mole that revealed his deeds to someone.

'But, please o, when you confront him,' Betty quickly added, 'don't let him know your source. Thank God we have a way of knowing all these.
Imagine what he did. That is men for you. If I were you, I won't take that nonsense.'

'So, Bayo could go to this extent,' Sade said gloomily. 'So, Bayo could treat me like this?'

'That is men for you. They're not worth it. You just know how you confront him, okay?'

'Okay, thank you very much. Bye for now.'

Sade disconnected the line, feeling so burdened. For the rest of that day, she could hardly concentrate at work. So, Bayo could go ahead,
get the lady impregnated and plan to make her a second wife! This was terrible! How could he do this despicable thing? Little wonder he hardly
came home these days.

GET THE FULL STORY: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by aprilwise(m): 6:35am On Apr 02, 2019
Nice one. Thanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by Ann2012(f): 7:11am On Apr 02, 2019
Well done OP
Re: The Last Temptation by izaray(f): 11:07am On Apr 02, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 8:17pm On Apr 05, 2019
'So, Bayo could go to this extent,' Sade said gloomily. 'So, Bayo could treat me like this?'

'That is men for you. They're not worth it. You just know how you confront him, okay?'

'Okay, thank you very much. Bye for now.'

Sade disconnected the line, feeling so burdened. For the rest of that day, she could hardly concentrate at work. So, Bayo could go ahead, get the lady impregnated and plan to make her a second wife! This was terrible! How could he do this despicable thing? Little wonder he hardly came home these days.

When she was about to close at work, she took permission from her immediate boss that she would likely come late to work the following morning as she was not feeling well.

It was about five in the evening when she got home. Her two children ran to greet her. With them, she was relieved of her burden, at least for now. Kike emerged from the kitchen.

'Welcome, ma'am,' she greeted

'Kike, how're you?'

'Fine, ma'am.'

Sade faced the children. 'Have you children done your assignment from school?'

Before they could answer, Kike responded: 'Tomi has done her own, but Bukky is about to.'
Sade turned to the older child. 'Bukky, why've you not done your assignment? What're you waiting for? Oya, go and do your school work. Kike
will assist you if you need any assistance.'

She changed her clothes and went to the kitchen to continue whatever Kike had started. Thereafter, she prepared the dinner. All along, her mind dwelt on her husband. She would certainly have to confront him whenever he came, whether that day or the next day.

As God would have it, Bayo came home that night. It was already past nine and she was dozing on the couch when he came in.

They greeted in what had become the usual frosty manner. Sade allowed him some rest before she went to meet him in the bedroom.

'We've got to talk,' she started.

He looked surprised. 'If it's about the children's school fees, I told you I'll transfer the money by Wednesday.'

'It's not about the children's school fees,' she said heatedly. 'It's about you and I.'

He was sitting up on the bed as he opened his briefcase. He paused in what he was doing.

'Can it wait till another time? I'm kind of tired and I need some rest.'

'No, it can't wait till another time. We need to discuss it now.'

He closed the briefcase.

'Bayo,' she continued. 'If I say you're not a big disappointment, I'll be lying. How could you do that?'

'Do what?'

She flared up. 'You know what you did! You not only kept mistress outside, you impregnated her. Worse still, you're planning to marry her!'

His eyes clouded and he sighed.

His wife glared at him. 'So, it is true! It is true you're doing all these.'

'Hey, take it easy,' he said.

'Take what easy? How could you be so selfish and unfeeling?'

'It happened by mistake,' he said.

'Ehn, ehn, so, it was by mistake you got her pregnant. Was it also by mistake you want to marry her?'

'There's nothing like marrying her, my dear. The mistake was that she became pregnant.'

'Can you hear yourself? How could there be mistake of that mature? This is not the promise you made to me. You promised to always love me.
Now, I'm being treated like a rag.'

'Oh, Sade, please, don't talk like that.'

'Why shouldn't I? Is it not true that you're treating me like a rag?'

With that, she broke down in tears. He remembered the good old days and felt he had indeed let her down. Her cries greatly disheartened him.
He moved over to her to offer whatever solace he could offer.

READ FULL STORY: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329

2 Likes

Re: The Last Temptation by Ann2012(f): 10:03pm On Apr 05, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 6:17pm On Apr 09, 2019
With that, she broke down in tears. He remembered the good old days and felt he had indeed let her down. Her cries greatly disheartened him. He moved over to her to offer whatever solace he could offer.

The following morning, Sade decided to see Femi in his office. After she had dropped the children in their school, she drove to his office at
Surulere.

'Good morning, madam,' Lola quickly rose to greet her.

'Iyawo, how're you?'

'Fine. We thank God, ma'am.'

Femi was surprised to hear that she was around. He asked that Lola should usher her into his office.

'Good morning, sister. It's early of you this morning. Hope no problem?' He offered her a seat.

'There's a little problem, and I need to see you. Sorry, I should have called that I would be coming early.'

'No, that would not be necessary. It's just that I have the mid-day flight to Abuja to catch, and I'm supposed to leave office by' - he glanced
at the wall clock - 'ten o'clock.'

'I'll try to be brief.'

It was already few minutes past nine. Femi sat down to listen to her heart-rendering stories.

Ada woke up that morning, feeling agitated. It was about her dream. Her dream about Bayo was an unpleasant one. She saw him in a well
decorated sealed box! She was in the dream too, trying to open the box, but the more she tried, the tighter the box became.

She hardly dreamt, or hardly remembered her dream. Anytime she had a dream and had a misgiving about it, it would come to pass. On this
very one she had, there was a misgiving.

She got herself ready for work on time. As soon as she got to the office, she would have to warn him to be careful and seek spiritual
assistance in whatever way he could so that evil could be averted.

'Good morning, darling. Can I just see you for a moment?' Ada said as soon as she stepped inside his office.

'Good morning, my dear. Hope no problem?'

Ada sat on one of the visitors' seats. Just then his cell phone rang.

'Hello, good morning,' Bayo greeted.

'Good morning. Is that Barrister Bayo Adeyemi?'

'Yes, speaking.'

'I'm John Kure, Special Assistant to the AGF.'

Bayo became more attentive and glued the phone to his ear. There was an important message he was expecting from the office of the
Attorney General of the Federation.

'Please, speak on,' he said.

'The AGF will like to meet with you in his office in Abuja by 1.00 pm today. Ask that you want see me when you get to the Ministry of Justice.
Once again, the name is John Kure '

Bayo quickly scribbled the name down on a writing pad on his table.

'Okay, thank you very much. Thank you.'

There was excitement all over his face when the line was disconnected.

'The deal I have with the AGF is about to click,' he announced. 'I must book the next flight to Abuja.'

He had earlier hinted her about the deal. She smiled at the good news.

He stood up. 'Don't worry. Whatever you want to discuss with me, when I come back, we'll talk.'

She made a face. 'Okay, but please, be careful. I had a bad dream about you and -'

'Dream? You mean what you want to discuss with me is a dream?' he sounded incredulous.

'It's not an ordinary dream.'

'Alright, alright. Don't worry, when I come back. I must start packing my documents now and must leave to take a flight.'

READ FULL STORY FROM: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by Wadewaltz(m): 6:37pm On Apr 09, 2019
OP la click la okada accident cool
Re: The Last Temptation by skubido(m): 10:35am On Apr 10, 2019
Hmmmmmmm
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 4:47pm On Apr 10, 2019
As much as he would have loved her to be brief, she would not be. Rather, she was giving him too much of details. When she finished her story, she broke into tears. Femi was perplexed. If he should leave her now, that would be uncaring and insensitive. On the other hand, if he lingered longer, he would miss the flight. He was supposed to see some clients in the capital. He had told some of them he would be in their offices by 2.00 pm. He looked at Sade as she wept. He moved to her to console and comfort her. By now, it was few minutes to eleven. It was obvious he would miss the flight.

'I'm so sorry for disturbing you, but what do I do now? Ehn, what do I do?'

'Calm down, calm down,' Femi urged. He paused for a while. 'Do not grieve your heart. Let's leave the whole thing to God.'

'So, I should allow him to marry that lady, just like that?'

'The best thing to do is to keep praying about it. Let's pray that God should take control of the situation.'

Sade shook her head, vehemently. 'Over my dead body will Bayo marry another woman. Over my dead body! If he insists, then I'll file for
divorce.'

'You think divorce is the best way out of this?'

'What else is the way out? There's no way I can continue to bear his adulterous ways of life. It is sickening.'

'Don't be so depressed and don't be cynical.'

She shook her head. 'Is it not better for him to be dead than to be doing all these nonsense?'

Femi was appalled. 'Hey, don't talk like that, Sade. That's not the way to talk about it.'

'There's no way he'll go scot-free. That will not be possible.'

He patted her again. It was not easy calming her. Indeed, the fury of a scorned woman knew no bounds.

'I know how bad you feel, but please calm down.'

After some more minutes, he was able to pacify her, or at least, it seemed he was able to do so. She appeared a bit calm and composed after
his efforts.

'I must really thank you for your time and counseling. You've been of great help in my lowly times,' she said.

Femi nodded understandingly. 'That's the least I can do. I feel sorry about what you're going through.'

Sade hugged him very tightly for several seconds. He did not resist, but he firmly had it on his mind that he would not be carried away
emotionally again.

When she disengaged tears were in her eyes once more.

'The good Lord will not abandon or forsake you,' he said.

She smiled faintly and dabbed her eyes. 'Once again, I'm sorry for the troubles. See now, I've made you missed your flight.'

Femi smiled wanly. 'Don't worry. I'll take the four o'clock flight. Early tomorrow morning, I can still conduct business in Abuja.'

She stood up to go. 'Thank you for your kind words. Femi, I really appreciate your considerate and caring stand.'

'We thank God. God be praised.'

'I'll be going now.'

'Take care of yourself.'

After Sade had gone, Lola came to meet him. 'You're not travelling again?'

'I'll travel although I can't meet the mid day flight again. As it is, I can still go by 4.00 o'clock flight.'

'I hope it won't affect your aim of travelling.'

'No, it should not. I'll reschedule all my appointments there.'

He sighed and shook his head. 'Meanwhile, my work here can continue till about two pm.'

He went to his office to get busy. Several minutes later, his wife called him on his line.

'Are you at the airport already?' she wanted to know.

'I'm still at work. Sade just left here. She came with a matter I could not brush aside. I'll explain the details when will meet. Meanwhile, I'll take
the four o'clock flight. By two, I'll be leaving the office for the airport.'

''Hope no problem with sister Sade.'

'It's a conflict between her and her husband. When we see, you'll get the details.'

'Alright. Safe journey, dear.'

'Thank you, dear wife. See you.'

At the local wing of the MM international airport, Ikeja, Lagos, there was a flurry of activities. Bayo had already booked the flight and bought his
flight ticket. He waited patiently at the lounge for the announcement that passengers should proceed the terminal to board the flight to Abuja.

The time was about 11. 30 in the morning.

He would be flying by ACC Airline, a reputable local airliner. A lot of activities were going on around him, but Bayo was not concerned about the people around nor about their business. His mind was on the meeting and business he had with the Attorney General. If everything worked out well, he would rake in a lot of money. He had already mapped out some of the things he would do with the money. One of them was opening an
office in Abuja.

Another would be to build his own house. He had a plot of land at Ibeshe, off Ikorodu which he bought a couple of years ago. Yes, it would be
time to start developing that plot. His mind veered to Sade and the incident that happened the previous night. He had pleaded with her for disappointing her and had sought her understanding. He had further affirmed that he had no intention of marrying the lady he had impregnated.

This was far from the truth as Bayo had resolved to take Ada as his second wife. He justified that on the legality of marrying more than one
wife under the Nigerian civil law, and on the exigency of the matter at hand. He had enough money to afford it, he thought. Ada would be his
wife and if Sade was not pleased with that, she could go to blazes.

The announcement that passengers for his flight should proceed to the check in counter brought him back to the present. He picked his
valise, got to his feet and joined the other prospective passengers on that flight.

The prospects of Bayo's meeting in Abuja brought excitement to Ada. She knew it would bring a lot of financial gains for him, and she wanted to be a partaker of that glory. She forgot about her dream and wished him the best.

Ada was only bidding her time. She could hardly wait to assume full responsibilities as his wife. When that happened, she would be in charge of many things. Even in that office, there were certain members of staff that she would ask him to lay off. Number one on the list was Sandra. That loud-mouthed secretary must be dealt with. Ada suspected that she was doing a lot of gossiping behind her back.

Once the expected outcome of his Abuja trip was realized, she would prevail on Bayo to upgrade her wardrobe. Yes, she needed to buy new stuffs after she had delivered the baby.

When it was few minutes after two in the afternoon, Femi decided to be on his way to the airport. He must not miss the flight this time around. He called Lola.

'I'm on my way. Take control of business. I'll call you when I get there.'

'Yes, sir,' she answered.

He looked at her face and smiled. 'Your cheeks are becoming chubby. I can see that your husband is taking good care of you.'

She giggled. 'I thank God, sir.'

'Yes, we must always thank God.'

He took his brief case.

'Safe journey, sir.'

'Thank you.'

His driver would take him to the airport. He settled comfortably in the back seat and went through some newspapers. He hardly have time to
do that in the office.

As he went through the headlines, he found out that he could hardly concentrate. His mind kept going back to one of the statements Sade
made.

Is it not better for him to be dead than to be doing all these nonsense?

How could she say such a terrible thing? He knew she was very upset with her husband. No woman would applaud her husband for doing what Bayo had done. All the same, Femi felt the reaction was rather extreme. He decided that next time he saw her, he would caution her against saying such a thing.

The traffic was light, so he soon got to the airport.

He went to sit at a end of the large lounge. A man wearing black jacket and probably in his fifties approached him.

'Good afternoon. Are you a passenger for the four o'clock flight of ACC airline?' the man asked.

'Yes, sir.'

'Is it still advisable to go by this airline?' the man asked.

Femi looked confused. 'I don't understand, sir.'

'Have you not heard the news?'

Femi looked more confused. 'What news?'

READ FULL STORY AT: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by skubido(m): 7:15pm On Apr 10, 2019
Hmmmmm

Tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by aprilwise(m): 7:52am On Apr 11, 2019
I hope there is no ✈ crash? Thanks for the update.
Re: The Last Temptation by izaray(f): 12:05pm On Apr 11, 2019
Thanks man

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by spiceadole: 9:17pm On Apr 11, 2019
Very interesting story...
I am very eager for the next update oooooooh.

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by Treasure17(m): 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2019
Interesting is an understatement. Reason why some men engage in infidelity is what I don't understand. Well done op.

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by Itunubabs: 9:52pm On Apr 12, 2019
Update biko oooooo

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 6:24am On Apr 17, 2019
He went to sit at the end of the large lounge. A man wearing black jacket and probably in his fifties approached him.

'Good afternoon. Are you a passenger for the four o'clock flight of ACC airline?' the man asked.

'Yes, sir.'

'Is it still advisable to go by this airline?' the man asked.

Femi looked confused. 'I don't understand, sir.'

'Have you not heard the news?'

Femi looked more confused. 'What news?'

The man sat beside him. He breathed in deeply. 'The mid-day flight of this airline is in trouble. The plane that left over two hours ago has not
arrived Abuja. There was no communication between it and anybody. Maybe it has crashed; maybe it has been high-jacked, nobody knows. It
has been declared missing.'

Femi was aghast. 'You don't mean it, ' he muttered.

'I mean it,' the man said seriously. 'It will soon be all over the news.'

'Oh God,' Femi exclaimed.

'There are over sixty passengers on board and it's missing,' the man went on. 'That's why I asked the question: Is it advisable to travel by this
flight?'

Femi sighed.

The other man looked at Femi as if his assurance mattered a lot.

'So far,' the man continued, 'no contact has been established with the pilot or anybody on that plane. I used to think this is the best local airline. Now, see what has happened.'

'We must not jump to conclusions,' Femi said. 'Let's wait for the official reports about what really happened.'

'So, are you still going on the flight?'

'Yes,' Femi said without mincing words. 'The good Lord will keep us safe.'

The man smiled and looked relieved. When Femi got to Abuja, it was about five pm. Thankfully, there was no hitch during the flight. He made a call to his wife about his safe arrival.

The campus shuttle bus got to its last bus stop and stopped. The occupants, mostly students, got down. Uche was one of them. With her bag
strapped to her back, she looked every inch like a student.

From Yaba bus stop, she would still have to take a bus to Palm Groove. She wanted to do whatever house chores she had to do on time so
she could prepare for the test she had the following day.

'Uche!' a male voice called.

She turned to look. It was Andy, a medical student. He had just alighted from another campus shuttle bus and was moving towards her fast.

'This is your face,' the young man said, offering his hand for a handshake.

'How're you?' she greeted. Andy had been disturbing her for a date but she had been tactfully avoiding him.

'Can I take you out now? There's a good eatery around here.'

'Oh no,' she answered. 'I'm in a hurry. Besides I have a test tomorrow.'

'Hey, relax. It can not just be reading, reading and reading.'

'I know, but the test is important.'

'It won't take time, Uche.'

'Some other time.' With that, she left him to take the next bus she should take.

As soon as she got home, she went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. She put a call to her sister.

'So, what will you like to eat, big sister?' she asked.

'Anything good,' Ada replied. 'Do we still have plantain in the house?'

'Yes,' Uche said.

'Good. Let's take fried plantain and eggs.'

'What about uncle Bayo? Is he joining us?'

'No. He's in Abuja as we speak.'

'Okay. See you.'

Frying plantain and eggs was no big deal. It made things easier for Uche. After she finished the cooking, she went to put on the television in
the sitting room. She always preferred music channel but this very evening, she felt like hearing the local news.

It was seven in the evening. She settled for Channels. There was a breaking news. Uche listened in rapt attention. A Lagos-to-Abuja flight of ACC airline had ended in a fiasco as the plane was missing. The Air force had swung into action on search and rescue operation.

Her first reaction was to ignore the news. She went to the kitchen to dish her food. As she was doing so, something came to her mind. Uncle Bayo had travelled to Abuja that day. She hoped he was not on that ill-fated flight.

As Uche was still thinking about the whole thing, Ada came in.

'Sister, welcome. How was work today?'

'Fine o, Uche. How was school?'

'School was fine. Have you heard the news?'

'What news?'

Without waiting for an answer, Ada made for the bedroom to change her clothes. Uche followed her.

'There was a breaking news about a missing plane,' Uche informed. 'It was an Abuja bound plane.'

Ada froze.

'What...what was that?'

Uche studied her sister.

'What did you say?' Ada demanded.

'A plane went missing, but the air force has launched a search and rescue mission.'

Ada was dazed. She quickly sat on the bed.

'That's a bad news,' she said and brought out her cell phone. 'I tried calling him earlier but his number was not going.'

Her hand was so unsteady the phone dropped on the tile floor.

Uche picked it up for her. 'Sister, take it easy. Did he travel by that flight?'

'I don't really know. I can't say. But I've been trying to contact him to no avail.'

She tried his numbers again. None was going.

'Oh God! Oh God!'

'Take it easy,' Uche said again and went to her sister's side. 'We can't be certain since you were not sure he boarded that plane.'

Ada remembered something. 'There's a way to find out.'

She scrolled through the numbers on her phone until she got to Sandra's number. She called Sandra's line. The secretary was the one that
booked the flight.

Bad luck, the phone rang without response.

'Oh God!' she said again.

When Maggie heard the news that an Abuja-bound plane went missing and there was a search for it, her mind went into a turmoil. But then, she remembered that Femi had called her to intimate her of his safe arrival in the capital city.

Just to be very sure, she called his number. He picked it after the second ring.

'Hello, darling,' his voice boomed over the line.

A wave of relief swept over her.

'I just wanted to be sure you're safe,' she blurted out.

'I'm okay,' he said. 'Have you heard the news?'

'Yes. I pray they will find the plane and all the passengers are in good condition.'

Femi knew that could hardly be, but did not say so.

'Yes, we pray all is well,' he said.

'How're the children?'

'They're fine.'

'My regards to them.'

'Please be careful. Then, when you're coming back, I suggest you come by road.'

Femi laughed over the line. 'Come on, Margaret, have you forgotten that air travel is still the safest means?'

'Not with cases of missing or crashed planes.'

'I understand you. But that rarely happens. Anyway, don't worry. The good Lord is in control.'

Sade was having dinner with her daughters and Kike when she heard about the missing plane. Since she was not aware that her husband was on the plane, she did not really pay much attention to the news. She only wished the passengers good luck.

She thought of Bayo and his latest antics. She had felt so bad about it all. Thank God for Femi. His words had greatly lifted her out of
depression. He had also taken away what could have been some desperate move on her part.

Femi had said she should leave everything in the hands of God. How she wished she could totally believe that! Now that the other woman was
expecting his baby, what would happen next?

He had said he did not intend to marry her, so what would he do with the baby? Was he planning to bring a bastard to the house? Never, Sade
thought. She would never accept that.

The option of divorcing him came to her again. Although Femi was advising against it, Sade believed the option was a good one. Her
understanding of the Bible showed that Jesus Himself said the reason of adultery was a good ground for divorce.

Had Bayo not been indulging in adultery? Had he not embraced the arms and bosom of the sluttish ones at the neglect of his real woman?
There was more than a significant reason there, Sade decided.

Besides, she had her own job - a reliable job. Lagos state was one of the highest paying states in Nigeria. She was on a senior level. She could
be an independent woman. Why must a woman of her status subject herself to emotional depression such as this?

DOWNLOAD FULL STORY AT: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by izaray(f): 10:20am On Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by Treasure17(m): 3:16pm On Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by bossy512(f): 8:36pm On Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the update, I really enjoyed the story, the story is very tantalizing, thanks

1 Like

Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 2:46pm On Apr 20, 2019
bossy512:
Thanks for the update, I really enjoyed the story, the story is very tantalizing, thanks

Many thanks for your compliments.
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 2:50pm On Apr 20, 2019
That evening, there was no way Uche could read for any test. She had to stay with her sister to encourage and monitor her. Sandra called Ada's number back and confirmed that indeed, Bayo was on the flight. Ada was in a very depressed mood. Even when Uche served her dinner, she refused to eat.

'Eh, please eat a bit, now, sister,' Uche pleaded.

. 'I don't have the appetite,' Ada said.

They slept in the same room. Uche was sure her sister's sleep was a disturbed one. The following morning, Uche called their mother to intimate her about the development. Mama promised to be there.

Ada wanted to dress up and go to the office, but Uche said it was better she stayed at home and monitor events as they unfolded.

'Besides, mama would soon be here. She will look after you.'

'You did not need to call her. I'm okay.'

'No, you're not okay. Since yester night, you refused to eat. The man may even survive the whole thing, but you want to kill yourself.'

'I'll soon be going to school. When mama comes, she'll stay with you. I have a test to write this morning.'

Ada decided to accept her sister's suggestion. She sat in the sitting room, listening to the news channel for any new development . Truly,
about nine in the morning, there was news that the plane had been found in a remote part of Niger state. Rescue workers had been drafted to the place and there were hopes that there were survivors.

Bayo kept walking. He could not tell for how long he had been walking. The wide expanse of land seemed endless. To his left, right, back and
front, the whole land was covered with sand. Just sand, no trees, no house, no water. How did he get here? Where was he going and where was he coming from? Where exactly was this place? Could it be the Saharan desert? He could not tell. He could not ask anybody. Nobody was with him. He wished he could see somebody to talk with. What a lonely world. He needed water. Thirst was a terrible thing. He must get water to drink. Where would he get it? There must be an oasis around. There must be.

A man suddenly appeared by his side. When did he come? How did he get there? Why had he not seem him as he made his appearance?

'You must be wondering where you are,' the strange, old man said.

'Yes,' Bayo quickly replied. 'Where am I? What am I doing here, and where are people?'

'You will soon know,' the strange man said. 'Very soon you will know.'

In his hotel room in Abuja, Femi's mind was seriously agitated. He was restless. He had tried to sound brave to his wife, but in his mind, he was unsettled. The flight that was missing was the one he was supposed to have travelled with to Abuja. He would have been one of those people in that missing flight!

His phone rang. Lola was on the line.

'I just heard the news now,' she said breathlessly. 'How're you, sir.'

'I'm fine. It was the flight I missed that flew into troubled wind.'

'Yes I know. We thank God that you're safe sir. We thank God for his mercies.'

'Thank you for your concern. I hope all is well with you over there.'

'All is well, sir. We're fine, except that the news is saddening. I feel sorry for all those passengers. It's so sad. Up till now, they're still looking
for the plane.'

'They'll soon find it. They'll soon find it, I'm sure.'

'I pray so,' Lola said in emotion-laden voice. Femi was not surprised. He knew how emotional Lola could be.

'Once again, thank you for your concern. Take care of yourself. God be with you.'

'God be with you too, sir. Thank you and goodnight.'

'Good night.' He disconnected the line and stood up. He wondered on the fate of the passengers right now. What a fate. There was one thing he always believed: everything happened for a purpose.

There was a soft rapping on his door. He went to open it.

'Good evening,' a lady greeted and smiled. She was in micro mini skirt and see-through top. The whiff of the perfume she wore was strong.

'Good evening.' He looked at the lady expectantly. 'Can I help you?'

'You sent for me,' the lady replied. 'I'm the lady you sent for.'

GET THE COMPLETE STORY FROM: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by skubido(m): 9:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
Haaaa, WO de ooo

Tanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 6:53am On Apr 26, 2019
There was a soft rapping on his door. He went to open it.

'Good evening,' a lady greeted and smiled. She was in micro mini skirt and see-through top. The whiff of the perfume she wore was strong.

'Good evening.' He looked at the lady expectantly. 'Can I help you?'

'You sent for me,' the lady replied. 'I'm the lady you sent for.'

Femi was greatly surprised. 'There must be a mistake,' he said. 'I did not send for anyone.'

'Is this not room 15?'

'Yes, it is, but I did not send for anyone,' he insisted.

The lady lingered a moment, smiled and turned to go. Femi was sure her mission was not a holy one. The seductive dress she wore said it all.

He shot the door. It was time to worship God. He started with praise singing.Several minutes would be devoted to the praising of God. Then,
there would be prayers to thank Him and glorify His name.

When Sade woke up, she found her phone vibrating. She had left it on vibration since the previous day. Normally, she would remove it from her
bag and put it by her bedside. She did not do that the previous night.

As she moved to pick it, the vibration stopped. She checked to see who the caller was. She was surprised to see twelve missed calls. Just
when she was wondering who were making all those calls, the phone vibrated again. Her friend, Betty was on the line.

'Hello. Morning, Sade.'

'Good morning, Betty. How`s everything?'

'Sandra and I have been trying to contact you since yesterday. Your phone was ringing without response. Sorry about the incident.'

Sade noticed that Betty's voice had become very down cast.

Her heart palpitated. 'What incident? What are you talking about?'

'Have you not heard the news about the plane that is missing?'

'Yes, I've heard.'

'Sandra said that was the very plane that Bayo travelled with.'

Sade was shocked. 'Bayo was on that plane? He never told me he would be travelling!'

'Sandra said he didn't really plan it, but he kind of received a message that he should come over to Abuja. Didn't he tell you about receiving an
important message and the urgent need to travel?'

'No, he didn't. Oh God, so Bayo was on that flight!'

'He was. Our prayers now is that they should find the plane and that he is alive, and that...'

Inside Sade' s head, it was like someone was ringing a bell. She was barely listening as Betty went on with her hopeful expressions. Sade could
not believe her ears or what had happened. That was what Bayo had turned her into: an inconsequential spouse. How could he take such an
important trip without even hinting her? And now, the plane was no where to be found! How terrible and sad.

'Sade? Hello? Can you hear me?' Betty was saying.

'Yes, I can hear you.'

'You must remain calm. Let's believe he is safe.'

'Thank you.'

'Don't worry, dear. All will be well.'

'Thank you,' Sade replied.

After the line was disconnected, she sat down to think over the whole thing. She needed to calm down and think rationally.

Her heart suddenly skipped a beat. Wait a minute! Femi too was supposed to have travelled to Abuja yesterday. Oh Lord have mercies. In her
conceited thoughts, she had forgotten that Femi said he had a flight to catch the other day.

Feverishly, Sade called Femi's number. She was relieved when he answered her.

'Oh my God, I'm so sorry I've not called before now. I forgot you said you would be travelling to Abuja yesterday. I'm glad you're ok.'

'I was actually about to call you,' he said. 'I really want to thank you. You were the one that delayed me. You were the one that made me
miss that flight. I'd been a victim by now.'

'Thank God you missed it. Unfortunately, Bayo was not that lucky.'

Femi was astounded. 'Your husband? You mean he was on that flight!'

'I just got to hear about it now.'

'Lord have mercy.'

'As at yesterday morning when we parted, he did not mention anything about travelling to Abuja. I was told that it was when he got to the
office that he received a call to come over. Even at that, he didn't deem it fit to let me know. Now, see what has happened.'

Femi paused for long. 'Don't grieve yourself. I'm sure he's going to be alright.'

'Are you sure?' she asked childishly.

'I'm using faith,' he said. 'I believe things will be alright.'

Sade wished she could have his kind of faith. She wished she could see things and react to them as calmly as he did.

'The good Lord will help,' he said.

Sade was at the head office of the ACC Airline in Ikeja. Many anxious and gloomy relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated flight also besieged the place. With her was Anthony, a lawyer in Bayo's chamber.

News had just filtered in that the wreckage of the plane was found. There was also the good news that there were some survivors. Hopes
were high. Sade prayed that Bayo was among them.

They were also told that the victims had been evacuated to Ceecee Specialists hospital in Abuja. A flight was being arranged to convey the
relatives of the victims to Abuja.

'Me, travel by your flight? I'll rather go by road,' one of the men around Sade said. She would have to go home and prepare for the emergency
trip.

GET FULL DOWNLOAD OF STORY FROM: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329
Re: The Last Temptation by skubido(m): 12:59pm On Apr 26, 2019
Tanks for the update
Re: The Last Temptation by izaray(f): 1:15pm On Apr 26, 2019
Mr Bayo the lord is your strength
Re: The Last Temptation by TomiDanesi: 3:53pm On Apr 28, 2019
Sade was at the head office of the ACC Airline in Ikeja. Many anxious and gloomy relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated flight also besieged the place. With her was Anthony, a lawyer in Bayo's chamber.

News had just filtered in that the wreckage of the plane was found. There was also the good news that there were some survivors. Hopes were high. Sade prayed that Bayo was among them.

They were also told that the victims had been evacuated to Ceecee Specialists hospital in Abuja. A flight was being arranged to convey the relatives of the victims to Abuja.

'Me, travel by your flight? I'll rather go by road,' one of the men around Sade said. She would have to go home and prepare for the emergency trip.

Sandra was excited when she called Ada.

'Many of them survived.' she said over the line.

'What's the next thing, now?' Ada asked, a surge of hope rising in her.

'The chamber is sending Anthony to accompany Madam to Abuja to see things for themselves.'

Ada had found the usefulness of Sandra. Since the terrible incident and since she was holed up in the house, Sandra had been giving her up to
date information on happenings in the office.

So, madam, the real madam, would be going to see how far fate had treated Bayo. Ada wished she could be the one to do that

'Alright, thank you,' Ada said. 'Please keep me informed of new development.'

Oh God, please make him to be one of those that survived, Ada found herself praying. She was not the praying type, but a moment like this
called for prayers.

His schedule was affected, but Femi did not mind. When Sade called him to inform that she would soon be in Abuja to see whether Bayo was among the survivors, he knew he had to show a lot of empathy for her.. She went to meet him at the entrance of the hospital. There was a big crowd there, but security personnel was on ground to make sure those who did not have genuine reason to be there were no allowed in.

'Thank God, you're here,' Sade said on sighting him. Together with Anthony, they went inside to the emergency unit.

Nine of the passengers were brought alive to the hospital, but one had died. One was in a stable condition, while seven were in critical
situation. One of those in critical situation was a hostess on the flight. The one that was of great interest to Sade was the patient at the
extreme end of the ward. It was Bayo, her husband.

'He's the one,' Sade exclaimed. 'Thank God, 'He's alive.'

'Madam, please don't touch him,' one of the doctors said.

A breath of relief passed through her. For the first time in the last six hours, she felt like a load was lifted from her shoulders.

'He"s unconscious,' another doctor said.

That was obvious. Femi studied the man critically lying on unconscious on the bed. He had not met Bayo before, but of course, he had heard a
lot about him. As he looked at Bayo more, Femi got some revelations about him. Bayo would not die, Femi got to know. He would not die but live
to be a changed person.

Ada's joy knew no bound when she heard that Bayo was among the survivors.

'Praise the Lord!' she exclaimed. She cut the line of the phone and ran to hug her mother who had been with her in the house since morning.

'Hey, take it easy,' her mother cautioned. 'Remember, you're heavy.'

Ada was indeed happy. She now had the urge to eat. Since she heard the sad news, she had not taken food. Her mother had been perplexed
to find out that she refused to eat.

'So, you want to kill yourself, abi?' she had berated her daughter. 'Ada, you want to kill yourself over a man?'

"I'm not killing myself.'

'So, what are you doing when you refuse to eat?'

'I'm not feeling hungry.'

'You must eat,' her mother had insisted.

It had taken a great effort for Ada to take some tea. But now that she knew he was not dead, she felt relieved and better.

She took the toasted bread her mother had made

'Oh, how I'll love to be in Abuja to see him,' she told her mother.

'In this your condition? You can't travel now.'

'Why not? Are you saying a pregnant woman can not travel?'

'What will be your purpose of going there? Are you the one to treat him or are you a nurse?' There was a long pause.

'Poor Bayo,' Ada said, more to herself. 'He must have gone through a very terrible experience!'

Get the complete story: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_temptation/23329

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Too Hot To Handle (18+) / The Second Wife - A Romance Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.