Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:34 PM

How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose (31815 Views)

Kemi Olunloyo: Eric Agboegbulem Igbedion's Death, Drug Overdose & The Prostitute / Ned Nwoko Receives Officers Of Defence Headquarters Ahead Of Malaria Expedition / Gbenga Akintunde 'Burger' Dies Of Malaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by Judgesledge(m): 4:10pm On Oct 21, 2018
BlackPeni5:

Not at all. Only 20% of Nigerian doctors practicing in Nigeria are competent.
Na God dey protect us here.
next time you are sick, visit the competent trado-medical practitioner next door,pray or travel abroad, that way you get to avoid the 80% incompetent Nigerian doctors

2 Likes

Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by Keywordconcept(m): 4:11pm On Oct 21, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
God saved me from malaria drugs last year.

Please everyone should becareful I'll come up with that details very soon, fastest thing killing most Nigerians nowadays is malaria drugs, not even the malaria itself.

Those useless drugs are so powerful, without you taking it with strong blood capsules or tonic you're on your way to early grave

Please share your experience.

Thanks.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by theoldpretender(m): 4:14pm On Oct 21, 2018
stagger:

Your analysis is too much. All you need to have asked is: has a toxicology test been done?

That too.... grin

But in standard settings ...ie developed world...it takes 6 weeks to to a total tox screen.

Then again, I don't know the malarial drug he was given, or the dosage....so I can't make a judgement as to whether the malarial drug 'overdose' was responsible for the patient's condition....assuming there WAS an overdose.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by BlackPeni5: 4:18pm On Oct 21, 2018
Judgesledge:
next time you are sick, visit the competent trado-medical practitioner next door,pray or travel abroad, that way you get to avoid the 80% incompetent Nigerian doctors

Hope you're not among the killer doctors who were forced into the discipline to impress their parents.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by 2Ballz(m): 4:21pm On Oct 21, 2018
Putting the name doctor near this man's death is quite a pain for me. This is because his death was nothing but a personal negligence to calling for proper treatment.

Whether a doctor mistreat the life out of you or not,it is no excuse calling a pharmacist to stand in his stead.

Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by madgoat(m): 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by GreatMahmud: 4:26pm On Oct 21, 2018
theoldpretender:

OK...where to start..

1. The story is second hand...so I cannot make a clear judgement...but here we go.

2.We don't know the name of the malarial drug. However, it ispossible that what happened was that there was malarial drug resistance (rare in Nigeria, but happens...).

3.Malaria fever itself CAN damage your red blood cells, and reduce your RBC level if not treated properly.

4.Most Nigerians respond to malarial drugs effectively. Also, most Nigerians have some immunity to malaria...because this is a mesoendemic country.

5. I suspect he either had

a) Severe malaria (not impossible).
b) Another disease...which probably affected his red blood cells...and caused them to crash.

6.He did not go to a good hospital...ie a TEACHING HOSPITAL....where he could have been tested...and a cause found.

(As an example,old family friend...had kidney issue...thought to be due to overuse of painkillers...but further investigaiton at a teaching hospital revealled cancer. Sad story).

7. Malarial drugs can be given in overdose. And they can cause issues. But MOST OF THE TIME...when we prescribe malarial drugs...we usually tell patients how to take them (MOST pharmacists , nurses, even lab techies know the appropriate dose of malarial drugs...not just doctors). So...it is possible he was already on IV malarial drugs...which might indicate severe malaria (rare, but happens)...WHICH on its own can account for the low blood level and emaciation.

8.I am tired of the Malaria/typhoid diagnosis. Only way you can diagnose typhoid effectively is by a stool test, OR a urine test OR by culturing bone marrow. Widal is not reliable...but because the other tests take time, we have no choice. So, I am assuming he did not have typhoid...untill I see a culture report.

9. Why am I writing this ling story...so that people don;t shout 'Doctors'.! I know the Nigerian medical field has a lot of improving to do...but this case ....we need further info before we cry negligence.

U don't need all this long explanation which most people already know..Even auxiliary nurses operating road side chemists know the right dosage of antimalaria drugs, non-medical chaps know that widal test is not a true diagnostic test for typhoid fever..IN THIS CASE TOXICOLOGY TEST IS WHAT IS NEEDED TO ASCERTAIN THIS ASSUMPTION..

1 Like

Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by madgoat(m): 4:28pm On Oct 21, 2018
hahn:

You find it hard to believe that a Nigerian doctor can administer an overdose?

Shut up there. So he had over dose and was still going about his normal business and even being treated at home by a so-called pharmacist? Use ur archaic brain a little undecided
Is that the normal thing to do? It might even be the concoctions the pharmacist was giving him that killed him 3 weeks later.
N.B. pharmacists are not doctors and if that pharmacist is caught, he would be arrested and prosecuted for manslaughter.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by theoldpretender(m): 4:36pm On Oct 21, 2018
GreatMahmud:

U don't need all this long explanation which most people already know..Even auxiliary nurses operating road side chemists know the right dosage of antimalaria drugs, non-medical chaps know that widal test is not a true diagnostic test for typhoid fever..IN THIS CASE TOXICOLOGY TEST IS WHAT IS NEEDED TO ASCERTAIN THIS ASSUMPTION..

1.A toxicology screen...usually looks at various 'poisions' not just the malarial drug.And it takes six weeks to come out.

2.And even then....a high value of malaria drug is not enough to ascertain the cause of death. That's where an autopsy plus a review of the man's last illness comes in .

3,Most malarial drugs don't cause death in overdose. But the problem with the story is...the article does not give us the name of the malarial drug responsible.

4.Plus after the overdose...he was sick for several more weeks. Long enough for the drug to have long since been metabolized to a large extent. Unless someone was giving him the malaria drug on a daily basis.

Sadly, the story does not give enough evidence to say the man died of an overdose. For all we know...he may have had a concomitant illness...which was not diagnosed because...the chap didn't go to LUTH on time!
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by felixawe(m): 4:40pm On Oct 21, 2018
Malaria and typhoid na deadly sickness ooo....experience tells
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by eleojo23: 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2018
What do they mean by malaria drug overdose?

If they had said he suffered complications from resistant malaria and typhoid, it would have been more believable.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by jumpmasta(m): 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2018
Celebgistz1:
The Nigerian movie industry was thrown into mourning yesterday after a member, Chris Ekejimbe, died.

Ekejimbe passed on at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital,LUTH. He was said to have battled acute malaria and typhoid fever for more than two months. Chris Ekejimbe Founding President of the Association of Nollywood Core Producers, ANCOP, and APC candidate for the Warri Federal Constituency seat in the forthcoming House of Representatives election, Comrade Alex Eyengho, who confirmed the news of Ekejimbe’s death to Sunday Vanguard, said the film maker passed on about 9 am yesterday at LUTH.

According to Eyengho, Ekejimbe was rushed to LUTH on Tuesday, when his condition became critical after he was allegedly given an overdose of malaria drug at another hospital. The drug was said to have damaged his red blood cell, causing the deceased to emaciate following which he patronized a pharmacist who Eyengho said was coming to his house to treat him. Narrating further, the ANCOP leader said, “Chris became ill, while he was on location shooting his soap opera. He went to a hospital and was diagnosed with acute malaria and typhoid fever. He went in and out of hospital, yet his condition did not improve. I was one of the few persons who saw him before he died.

What he told me was that the doctor mistakenly gave him an overdose of malaria drug and the drug damaged his red blood cell. He started emaciating. After he did all kinds of tests, it was discovered that his red blood cell was at a zero level. “May be, because of the mistake of the doctor, he no longer had confidence in going to the hospital again. As a result, he was now receiving treatment at home. A pharmacist was coming to his house to treat him. This was going on for three to four weeks, until last Tuesday, when I visited him. I didn’t like his condition as I called his wife and manager, one Martins by the side and insisted that, he must be taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, for proper medication. I was able to convince Chris to go to the hospital again. But he didn’t, until last Tuesday. I guess by the time, he got to LUTH, it was probably late. And unfortunately, he gave up yesterday morning.”

“He struggled to live, but death had the upper hand. When he died, I was the first person his wife called, before I broke the news to the industry.” Eyengho said the late prolific film maker who is the owner of 4Screams Production Company and founder of notable Nollywood social media group, Film4Life, had completed the shooting of more than 20 episodes of his new TV drama, which he was yet to title before he died. He described his death as a big blow to the industry.

“ He was about editing the episodes before he became sick. He was one of the foundation members of Nollywood and he helped to establish many associations in the industry, be it AMP or ANCOP. His knowledge of the technical aspect of film making is unmatched. I am yet to see anyone that can match him in terms of the technical aspect of film making,” he said Meanwhile, since breaking the news of his demise, his colleagues on WhatsApp platform, Film4Life, have continued to pay tributes to the deceased whom they described as a prominent figure in Nollywood.

Source: https://celebgistz.com/how-nollywood-filmmaker-chris-ekejimbe-died-of-malaria-drug-overdose/
The pharmacist killed him
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by frozen70(f): 5:43pm On Oct 21, 2018
What an avoidable mistake

Rest with the lord
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by Redman44(m): 6:04pm On Oct 21, 2018
Hmn. Have you all considered the Politics he was involved in? He was a APC Candidate for a Senatorial office in his State.

Maybe he was eliminated spiritually by his Political opponent or even rivals in his Party.

Don't join Politics in Nigeria if you are not spiritually strong or fortified smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

May his Soul Rest In Peace. Amen.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by linked: 6:14pm On Oct 21, 2018
More like antibiotics overdose not anti malaria overdose. Antibiotics when abused can cause death. Chloraphenicol, Ciprofloxacin and others broad spectrum antibiotics can cause death when abused. Infact overdose of Chloraphenicol et al can result in aplastic anaemia which is more like what is described as the deceased symptoms.

1 Like

Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by NWANICHODE: 6:35pm On Oct 21, 2018
He needs autopsy.
There is nothing like acute malaria
He has been receiving treatment for 2 months.
God knows what he has been treating. Whether he went to the hospital on time or not.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by Period007(m): 7:23pm On Oct 21, 2018
Nigerian Doctors killing their patients since 1756
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by springtech(m): 7:43pm On Oct 21, 2018
theoldpretender:

OK...where to start..

1. The story is second hand...so I cannot make a clear judgement...but here we go.

2.We don't know the name of the malarial drug. However, it ispossible that what happened was that there was malarial drug resistance (rare in Nigeria, but happens...).

3.Malaria fever itself CAN damage your red blood cells, and reduce your RBC level if not treated properly.

4.Most Nigerians respond to malarial drugs effectively. Also, most Nigerians have some immunity to malaria...because this is a mesoendemic country.

5. I suspect he either had

a) Severe malaria (not impossible).
b) Another disease...which probably affected his red blood cells...and caused them to crash.

6.He did not go to a good hospital...ie a TEACHING HOSPITAL....where he could have been tested...and a cause found.

(As an example,old family friend...had kidney issue...thought to be due to overuse of painkillers...but further investigaiton at a teaching hospital revealled cancer. Sad story).

7. Malarial drugs can be given in overdose. And they can cause issues. But MOST OF THE TIME...when we prescribe malarial drugs...we usually tell patients how to take them (MOST pharmacists , nurses, even lab techies know the appropriate dose of malarial drugs...not just doctors). So...it is possible he was already on IV malarial drugs...which might indicate severe malaria (rare, but happens)...WHICH on its own can account for the low blood level and emaciation.

8.I am tired of the Malaria/typhoid diagnosis. Only way you can diagnose typhoid effectively is by a stool test, OR a urine test OR by culturing bone marrow. Widal is not reliable...but because the other tests take time, we have no choice. So, I am assuming he did not have typhoid...untill I see a culture report.

9. Why am I writing this ling story...so that people don;t shout 'Doctors'.! I know the Nigerian medical field has a lot of improving to do...but this case ....we need further info before we cry negligence.

So apt.
You need to be recommended to join the investigation panel.
I love your analysis.
Re: How Chris Ekejimbe Died Of Malaria Drug Overdose by jennann(f): 9:27pm On Oct 21, 2018
Definitely could not have had 'acute malaria' for over 4wks. Probably had a chronic medical condition.
Nigeria is endemic for Malaria, so adults who have lived a long time in this country should have enough immunity to fight the disease without the protozoa causing severe cases of the illness in the person.
When you try one hospital and you are not satisfied with the services you receive there, please try another, probably a higher one (in terms of referral system).
Finally, an autopsy would have to be done to ascertain true cause of death.
May his soul rest in peace!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Huddah Monroe Slams Lagos Big Boys / ''My Breakup With Toke Makinwa Almost Ruined My Business'' - Maje Ayida / Baba Ijesha: We Are Sad, Disappointed - Theatre Practitioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.