Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,990 members, 7,799,402 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule (12428 Views)

Checking Your GTBANK Account Balance Via SMS / Question On Gtb Bank Account / Questions on GTB Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by tijehi(f): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2010
I have three accounts with GTB, a current , savings and sub savings. I've current and savings accounts on my Master Naira card and internet banking service, but i declined including my sub-savings account on both services. My reason was to avoid the current wave of crime that has to do with bank customers accounts been debited without authorization from the customer especially via ATM machines and the Internet. Thus, my sub-savings is my own special vault where no fast technology can touch. For any transaction on that account means me going to the bank.

This morning, I went to GTB bank to check the balance on that particular account, only for the customer service staff to tell me that she couldnt check for me, that i need to do so with my master naira card or use the net, i told her that the account was not on those services, she suggested i add it, i said no, that i had my reasons, she said she was sorry that she couldnt check my balance for me, that its a new rule in the bank.

Now, why would GTBank enforce such rules on their customers? I am a customer, i can make decisions concerning my account as far as its not against banking ethics or illegal. It is so painful. Anyways I hope they rescind their military-like decision, 'cus with such decisions they are bound to loose a lot of their customers.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by youngies(m): 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2010
Who paid you to come here and de-market GTB?  undecided
Among all the commercial banks in Nigeria today, GTB ranks very high in ethics and good customer care.

If you have experienced any form of difficulty with your account, please channel it to the Branch Manager.
If his answers are not satisfactory, petition his/her superiors till you get a satisfactory response.

NL shouldn't be your first point of call, unless you have an ulterior motive.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by seyibrown(f): 12:08pm On Jul 16, 2010
I don't know how their system works but I think it's crazy that you go to your bank and they refuse to give you the information you need and which they hold! What happens if you lose all your cards or web access information? Would their response still be the same?
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by youngies(m): 12:10pm On Jul 16, 2010
Your asking the wrong man cool

Don't be afraid to go into the Manager's office and ask him all the questions that are bothering you.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by ud4u: 12:20pm On Jul 16, 2010
Not quite long I opened account with them that I started hearing that fraudulent people use to clone people's ATM Cards to withdraw their money, especially GTB accounts.

The question now is;

1.  Why is it rampant with GTB?

2.  Are there some insiders that specialize in this dreaded business?

Please anybody with the above answers are welcome

So @ poster, I don't know whether the above questions are one of the reasons they want you to check your balance with ATM or through Net.

Cheers
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2010
@poster

kindly ask for the branch manager, or her supervisor. and lay ur complains to him. the customer service might just be one of the regular Idiots we have that r very rude but they tend to work as customer service in nigeria

i dont think it is yet a general thing on all branches/
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by cupper: 12:53pm On Jul 16, 2010
Every account has an attached employee called "account officer'. He will be in a best position to explain the decision to you.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by abhosts(m): 1:00pm On Jul 16, 2010
GTB is arguably the most patronized Bank in Nigeria at the moment. They have probably introduced this measure to trim down the crowds in their banking halls. Why should account balance enquiries lead to endless queues when you can easily check your balance with any ATM Machine or Via the Internet?

Banks expend a great deal of resources to Procure and Maintain these Facilities so that their human resources can be well harnessed for more daunting tasks.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by teskyg: 1:05pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ youngies,shouldn't be your first point of call, unless you have an ulterior motive.Don't be a baby.The young Man can choose any medium ofvoice his concerns.A lot of customers have been complaining about GTB recently.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by babaowo: 1:10pm On Jul 16, 2010
nigeria has no banking system,what they
have is money collectors branches, all the
banks are flopped,all of them.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by KGNAIRA: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2010
Everywhere in the word, Customers have the right to choose which service(s) they want including the electronic channel the want. These things are not by force. If they have to many customers, they have a choice to stop taking on more customers or employ more hands to service the growing customer base.

If this story is true, it is not acceptable.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2010
@Poster: There is no risk whatsoever linking your accounts to GTBank's card services or internet banking. If you're profiled for internet banking, you can use the same log in details for GTConnect, which is a phone service.

For your convenience, I will advise the internet banking which is safe and convenient as you can check your balance at your convenience. Any time, anywhere.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by cold(m): 1:46pm On Jul 16, 2010
KG_NAIRA:

Everywhere in the word, Customers have the right to choose which service(s) they want including the electronic channel the want. These things are not by force. If they have to many customers, they have a choice to stop taking on more customers or employ more hands to service the growing customer base.

If this story is true, it is not acceptable.
My thoughts exactly.Why would anyone dictate to me how to run my account,and what's all that nonsense about having too many customers.Utter bullocks if you ask me.Banking in Nigeria can be so exasperating.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2010
As a customer, wouldnt you just prefer the easy way out. Its just like going to a customer service centre of your mobile operator each time you want to check your balance.

When you have assurances of a fraud free platform like the internet banking platform, why shouldn't you take advantage of it.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by nnemak(m): 2:02pm On Jul 16, 2010
This story it not new , One of my bankers tried it last year and they are begging peeps now!! They refused to check balance and would ask you to get an ATM card!

It seems the most of the bank in Nigeria have forgotten the essence of SAVINGs account.
How can one save with an ATM!!!! grin grin grin
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by dustydee: 2:04pm On Jul 16, 2010
Oceanic bank wants me to get a verve card and pay for it after giving me an ordinary atm card that i paid for less than a year ago. who is supposed to compensate me for the remaining 2 years on my card?
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by cecegorz(m): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2010
@OP

I will advice you call GTConnect anytime you want to make enquiries on any of your account. It is a toll free number you can call at the convenience of your room and get a polite answer.

Again, nobody can force you to have an ATM card on a savings account else the essence will be utterly defeated.
As somebody already pointed out, whenever junior officers act too zealous (as our police friends are wont to), don't go to that low level of shouting and bragging, just ask to speak with his/her superior. If it is indeed a company policy or other wise, you will get a more convincing explanation.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Aproko(f): 2:52pm On Jul 16, 2010
OP,

Are you saying you walked out of the branch without asking to see the manager, head of operations or even your account officer? All you had to do was ask to see any of these people and explain why you don't want their 'extra' services on that particular account!

then again, there are 23 other banks, banking is easier than you think.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by mikeoscar: 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2010
Who paid you to come here and de-market GTB?
Among all the commercial banks in Nigeria today, GTB ranks very high in ethics and good customer care.

If you have experienced any form of difficulty with your account, please channel it to the Branch Manager.
If his answers are not satisfactory, petition his/her superiors till you get a satisfactory response.

This is very , very rash. If you felt you had one or two tips to help him get good services at that bank then say so but nicely my friend, and you've got the answer in there somewhere in your post except that you have refused to acknowledge His frustration but rather chose to attack His motive.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by otukpo(f): 3:07pm On Jul 16, 2010
youngies:

Who paid you to come here and de-market GTB?  undecided

This is a daft post!
A customer is complaining abt her experience wih the bank and u ar talking abt de-marketing.
So if am not pleased with the services am getting from a service provider, i shld keep my mouth shut because of pple like u.

In case u don't know, i am a customer of GTBank and i use other banks too. Among the banks i use, GTB is the one their services always put me off.

Their customer service is poor, they are just living on past glory. I have several experiences with them and what i try to do is limit my transactions with them.

Any day any time, i will take Zenith, Stanbic over GTB in customer service.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by mikeoscar: 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2010
OP,

Are you saying you walked out of the branch without asking to see the manager, head of operations or even your account officer? All you had to do was ask to see any of these people and explain why you don't want their 'extra' services on that particular account!

then again, there are 23 other banks, banking is easier than you think.

@Aproko,
You are spot on. This same GT Bank early this summer , I was in Lagos and I got a cheque for some N200k naira from a friend who has an account with them. I decided that since I was in the vicinity I would take advantage and cash the cheque across the counter.
I approached a young lady after waiting patiently in line for about 10minutes. She took the cheque and started to process it then She requested for my ID which I did, She went into a small office for about 5minutes and returned to ask if I had an account with GT Bank to which I said No. She then paused and asked me if I had a driver's licence and I brought out my Drivers licence from the state of Texas. She took it went in for another couple of minutes and returned to ask if I had a Nigerian driver's , licence and I said No then another colleague of her's jumps in and starts asking blackmailing me for not having an account with the bank which would have made things easier, then for the first time I asked them what was wrong with my oil/gas ID card and my U.S. driver's licence and watch this, their response was they could not trace any of those to the Nigerian system. I told them I had an old Nigerian driver's identity at home but it was useless anyways, I sought to speak with a supervisor who was way too busy so I left and paid the check into my (good old) UBA account grin. This was a painful experience in terms of PR, Time wasted etc and Probably could have been diffrent in another branch but I don't expect anybody to shout me down without looking at the issues at least. Our banking industry is going through a very trying period and a little help in terms of human relations could go a long way you know.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by DaMayor1: 3:39pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ youngies,
As much as ur entitled to ur opinion, I advice you reason with your head(if theres something in it) and not ur Ass.
what a dumb reply to the poster. FYI this is a social network that serves to educate & better inform people.
GTB being a good bank doesn't make them above the law esp when my money is involved.
MAGAA!!!!
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by tijehi(f): 4:08pm On Jul 16, 2010
@yougies

For the record, nobody paid me to lay such complain. it happened and i wanted to share and find out peoples opinion on the whole disturbing issue. if reading it upsets you, just go to another topic. you dont need to be rude.

@ the concerned lot.

Thanks for your numerous advice', I'll definitely discuss with my account officer or operations manager.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by kaiosama(m): 4:19pm On Jul 16, 2010
GTB is a good bank, so i don't agree with u Mr.poster. i check my balance this morning being 16 july and there was nothing like that.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by mickey2000(m): 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2010
SIMPLE
just deposit 1k into the account and they will send u an alert starting your new balance.

i also have a current account and a savings account with GTB
just got a text that my savings account is now linked to my ATM Card.
will be going to the bank to tell them that they should reverse it
because i told them when i opened the savings account that i don't
want it linked to my ATM.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by saintchux(m): 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2010
youngies:

Who paid you to come here and de-market GTB?  undecided

If GT is the best bank, why this?

You must be a staff of GT, please advice them to stop such. The much they can do is the verify the person's signature and photograph. You can even confirm balance via phone if the person can problem answer to some question like

The domicile branch?
mother's maiden name?
Last three or five transactions
etc

But for a customer to walk into the banking hall & you refused to give the person balance, Sanusi must hear this.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by saintchux(m): 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2010
dappssee:

As a customer, wouldnt you just prefer the easy way out. Its just like going to a customer service centre of your mobile operator each time you want to check your balance.

When you have assurances of a fraud free platform like the internet banking platform, why shouldn't you take advantage of it.

Internet bank fraud free?

Mind you mobile operator do not charge you for checking your balance.
If the banks should get a toll free balance enquiry alert, that will be good. But I bet you most of the sms alert in the bank comes with a cost attached to it.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by obailala(m): 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2010
I find this story difficult to believe but if it actually happened, i think the poster should have seen some other staff of the bank cos its clear that the customer care individual she saw woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Secondly, if its a new policy, then this policy exists only in that particular branch of GTb where the poster visited cos i checked my balance yesterday at GTb with a customer care staff even though i was with my ATM card.

Its understandable why they are doing this but if u aren't comfortable and they insist on their "new policy," there are 23 other good banks out there. Just ask the customer care staff for a plain sheet of paper to draft a letter to close ur account and highlight clearly ur reasons. . .BTW, just pray they don't ask u to use ur master naira card or the net to close the account  grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Exponental(m): 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2010
if truly the cutomer service attendant did that, y not ask to see a superior officer. it's ur right to be attended to. apology would be made and d service u requested for shall be granted as long as u are d bonafide account holder.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by exago(m): 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2010
Try talking to your account officer to know why they took such measures
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by BluMalam(m): 6:28pm On Jul 16, 2010
I actually had the same experience last week at Wuse Branch. Its a new policy for the customer service desk to deal with the ever-increasing number of atm card-related complaints, balance enquiry is strictly throug GTCONNECT. There's a phone with an attendant on each customer service desk and a free to use desktop preset to the GTCONNECT website.

Having said this,i am still of the opinion that GTB customer service staff are rude (at least all the one in my branch) and hardly ever show genuine concern for your problem. My 2 cents.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Luno Bitcoin Wallet Requesting For BVN For Verification / How To Start Up A Tutorial Centre And Start Making Millions Of Naira / How I Made My First Million From The Comfort Of My Home In Two Months.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.