Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule (12442 Views)

Checking Your GTBANK Account Balance Via SMS / Question On Gtb Bank Account / Questions on GTB Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by chimelavic(m): 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2010
I also love GTB. I love their services but honestly their customer services of late is not as before.
I went to collect my Naira Mastercard only to be on a stagnant cue for about 35 minutes in a branch in Ibadan.
I also had a problem last year of opening a current account at their Aba branch and till date I cannot use that account.

But honestly, Mr. Poster I still prefer them to any other bank. I also use some other banks and I alwyas say I love GTB
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by CGKing(m): 8:01pm On Jul 16, 2010
Its a jolly good policy. I have reasons to believe that some very stupid GTBank staff is releasing my account status to some very stupid outsiders. Im on them though and will soon expose the very stupid GTBank staff. I think I have a very good lead.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by CGKing(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2010
Its a jolly good policy. I have reasons to believe that some very stupid GTBank staff is releasing my account status to some very stupid outsiders. Im on them though and will soon expose the very stupid GTBank staff. I think I have a very good lead.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Jencejyde(m): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2010
Not just Gtbank,but a couple of other banks usually have one or two very rude and arrogant customer service personnel. Anyways this is naija and if you need to get something done then you have to do it the (Hard, man no man, every-every) way. I never let a rude personell get away with insults from me and im quick to remind whoever it is that if they think they are too busy too handle the issue at hand. Then i also have loads of very important things to do with my time and they can find some other job and stop wasting mine. One or two quick stern words usually alerts the senior officers who will now calmly come to handle the issue.

Anyways, that's just me but i beleive the way we market in Nigeria especially in the banking system leaves a lot to be desired.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by soloqy: 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2010
ud4u:

Not quite long I opened account with them that I started hearing that fraudulent people use to clone people's ATM Cards to withdraw their money, especially GTB accounts.

The question now is;

1.  Why is it rampant with GTB?

2.  Are there some insiders that specialize in this dreaded business?

Please anybody with the above answers are welcome

So @ poster, I don't know whether the above questions are one of the reasons they want you to check your balance with ATM or through Net.

Cheers

With every success comes diverse challenges. In Nigeria now, GTB can be said to be a successful brand and the accolades keep coming(they just won another award).
Its therefore not surprising if they become a target of fraudsters. But these fraudsters, most often than not, get away with their crime due to the carelessness of the customer. Take for instance, the fake mails from fake websites claiming to be from GTB, asking people to go online and add their pin and debit card numbers. GTBANK has made so much noise about this emails and have always told customers that they will never ask anyone to send their pins or card numbers on a website but people keep falling into that trap and keep losing money.It happened recently to a girl I know. This is not GTbank's fault is it? You cant say there was an insider that created a fake website(even the domain is different from GTBank domain so how people fall into this trap is beyond my comprehension).

But this issue may not be site wide and may just be a measure put in place by the particular branch to decongest their banking hall .

Anyways, for you and maybe Blue Mallam who have serious bones to pick with them, GTBank has a thriving and official Facebook page. Just search for it and go there and embarrass them with your comments and posts on their wall. Even if someone doesnt reply you, at least you will be sure they are aware of the issues.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by DeepSoul(f): 11:27pm On Jul 16, 2010
I checked my GT account ystday at my branch.
And it was done nicely, without complaints.
Customer service in my branch isn't bad at all.

The tellers however!! That one na different tory.
I guess each branch has its bad egg(s)
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by iotama22: 7:31am On Jul 17, 2010
I don't blame whoever originated this thread. I don't think it's right to blame this guy for making this forum his first port of call. I understand it's an unbiased forum. So people are free to express their opinions in order to right wrongs and straighten/redress national matters.

As a former employee, I can tell a lot of GOOD THINGS about that wonderful bank even despite the controversy that trailed my exit from that bank. If any fraud is committed on your account in GTBank then be very sure that the management WILL do its best to address your case. Their managers just like their MD are professionals to the core so just report any case to them and be very sure something will done quickly.

If you are not getting the kind of services you need, you can also escalate your case via email or phone call. Even if you want to contact their MD direct, he is a very free man. And you can get his direct email and phone number at www.gtbank.com.

I hope by now the originator of this thread has seen that GTBank is a good bank and among the very best on the continent. So I'll advise he should go back and talk to the concerned bank staff and his/her branch manager. I am too sure they can work out whatever you need for you.

Thanks.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by axeman85(m): 8:01am On Jul 17, 2010
the same experience i had wth gtb during the week, went to the branch at allen roundabout jst after sweet sensation, to make a withdrawal as i didnt have my atm or chqbook with me, but i knew my account details and aso had my drivers licence. i explained to the cashier who told me that without chqbook or atm i cant make a withdrawal as it was a current account, she then told another collegue to ask someone else who told me that i would have to write a letter and they will fax it over to my account office in bank anthonyway and then wait for him/her to authprize it all because of 10k. they went further to waste my time by telling me to go to customer service to tell me what to do when they fully know what the score was. to cut the long story short i had to go back home and pick my atm but i wasnt impressed at all.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by superstar1(m): 9:41am On Jul 18, 2010
@ Poster,

apology for the way you were treated and i greatly appreciate the way you aired your dissatisfacction. Let me clarify one or two things, GTBank is without arguement one of the most customercentric banks in Nigeria and all the accolades that they have been getting is not fluke. The bank spent millions of naira to deploy e-platforms that will make banking easier for its customes and most likely they are trying to encourage customers to use these fraud free platforms.

You do not need to go to the banking hall just to check ur balance, get hooked on their internet banking, wit one click u will get ur balance. If u are afraid of fraud deactivate fund transfer from it. You can also call GTConeect which is a 24hours customer service centre to check your balance. The beauty is that it is toll fre. The number is 0800482666328. If u use all these channels, we will assist them to decongest their banking hall to a great extent and we the hardened GTBank ustomer we stop complaining of long queues.

Some people were complaining of fraud on their a/cs, but sncerely we all know that all banks are prone to this and GTBank sent mails and texts to all their customers warning them about the fraud. Apart fromthat they deactivated all their customers old cards whish is fraud prone and made a new card which is internationally acceptable and to a large extent fraud fre, They may not be perfect but I like them beacuse they are ery proactve.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by 981Tommy: 10:17am On Jul 18, 2010
financial industry
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by ROCKJ1(m): 12:02pm On Jul 18, 2010
GTBANK Again!!!
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by iotama22: 12:52pm On Jul 18, 2010
otukpo:

This is a daft post!
A customer is complaining abt her experience wih the bank and u ar talking abt de-marketing.
So if am not pleased with the services am getting from a service provider, i shld keep my mouth shut because of pple like u.

In case u don't know, i am a customer of GTBank and i use other banks too. Among the banks i use, GTB is the one their services always put me off.

Their customer service is poor, they are just living on past glory. I have several experiences with them and what i try to do is limit my transactions with them.

Any day any time, i will take Zenith, Stanbic over GTB in customer service.

NOTE: The same thing would have happened to you if you had gone to cash a UBA cheque as a non-UBA account holder. I have had somewhat similar experiences with UBA as a non-account holder. In fact before my experiences, I discovered UBA was juicing out certain amount from me on my up country transactions in 2003-2005, and I closed down that account!!! GTBank has never done such spurious transactions on my account before.

Going by how I left GTBank, I should even be castigating them but I tell you the bank is tha best. No bank would have honoured that your cheque oga because it would be a contravention of CBN's modus operandi for Nigerian banks. The id cards you presented are not tenable under CBN's provisions. So don't blame GTBank on that; rather, blame CBN!!!

Thanks.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by iotama22: 12:56pm On Jul 18, 2010
mike oscar:

@Aproko,
You are spot on. This same GT Bank early this summer , I was in Lagos and I got a cheque for some N200k naira from a friend who has an account with them. I decided that since I was in the vicinity I would take advantage and cash the cheque across the counter.
I approached a young lady after waiting patiently in line for about 10minutes. She took the cheque and started to process it then She requested for my ID which I did, She went into a small office for about 5minutes and returned to ask if I had an account with GT Bank to which I said No. She then paused and asked me if I had a driver's licence and I brought out my Drivers licence from the state of Texas. She took it went in for another couple of minutes and returned to ask if I had a Nigerian driver's , licence and I said No then another colleague of her's jumps in and starts asking blackmailing me for not having an account with the bank which would have made things easier, then for the first time I asked them what was wrong with my oil/gas ID card and my U.S. driver's licence and watch this, their response was they could not trace any of those to the Nigerian system. I told them I had an old Nigerian driver's identity at home but it was useless anyways, I sought to speak with a supervisor who was way too busy so I left and paid the check into my (good old) UBA account grin. This was a painful experience in terms of PR, Time wasted etc and Probably could have been diffrent in another branch but I don't expect anybody to shout me down without looking at the issues at least. Our banking industry is going through a very trying period and a little help in terms of human relations could go a long way you know.

NOTE: The same thing would have happened to you if you had gone to cash a UBA cheque as a non-UBA account holder. I have had somewhat similar experiences with UBA as a non-account holder. In fact before my experiences, I discovered UBA was juicing out certain amount from me on my up country transactions in 2003-2005, and I closed down that account!!! GTBank has never done such spurious transactions on my account before.

Going by how I left GTBank, I should even be castigating them but I tell you the bank is tha best. No bank would have honoured that your cheque oga because it would be a contravention of CBN's modus operandi for Nigerian banks. The id cards you presented are not tenable under CBN's provisions. So don't blame GTBank on that; rather, blame CBN!!!

Thanks.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by mansmith(m): 9:03pm On Jul 18, 2010
i have nerver had any pleasant experience at gtb,so sad.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by otukpo(f): 8:59am On Jul 19, 2010
iotama22:

Thanks.

Pls stop the comparison with UBA. i never mentioned UBA in my post cos i know they are worse. MAke comparison with very good and dynamic banks.
GTB customers care staff are mostly rude and show no concern abt customers' plight.
They always feel they are doing u a favour being ur bank.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by otukpo(f): 9:06am On Jul 19, 2010
Blu Malam:

I actually had the same experience last week at Wuse Branch. Its a new policy for the customer service desk to deal with the ever-increasing number of atm card-related complaints, balance enquiry is strictly throug GTCONNECT. There's a phone with an attendant on each customer service desk and a free to use desktop preset to the GTCONNECT website.

Having said this,i am still of the opinion that GTB customer service staff are rude (at least all the one in my branch) and hardly ever show genuine concern for your problem. My 2 cents.[/quote

A good observation @ the bolded
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by dessy01(m): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
chimelavic:

I also love GTB. I love their services but honestly their customer services of late is not as before.
I went to collect my Naira Mastercard only to be on a stagnant cue for about 35 minutes in a branch in Ibadan.
I also had a problem last year of opening a current account at their Aba branch and till date I cannot use that account.

But honestly, Mr. Poster I still prefer them to any other bank. I also use some other banks and I alwyas say I love GTB

I prefer GTB to any bank in Nigeria. Despite the fact that they are having lapses, they have proved to
be one of the best in Nigeria.

Last week, I register for my Naira MasterCard and I got it 1 hour later on the same date. Which bank fit
do that one
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by 080Nigeria(m): 5:31pm On Jul 19, 2010
I love GTB. It's been my bank for quite some time now. However, even I must admit that GTB is now experiencing the 'problems' of growth. Now, their services are not as fast as they were before. Sometimes, I have to queue for very long to do anything in the bank. I have been trying to get a new ATM card for close to 6 months. Payments are not posted immediately in many branches. Sometimes, they are not even posted until like 6-7 hours later.

As I said earlier, I love GTB. But I am posting this because I really think they need to strategize to solve the 'problems' coming with growth if they don't want to lose good and loyal customers. angry angry angry
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Mauricemoh: 11:51pm On Jul 19, 2010
I believe that if you have any issue with any bank endeavour to ask whoever is your account officer. As an account holder you must have an account officer and if your account officer can not give you satifactory response, then try calling the customer services or visiting the branch to see the Branch Head or Head of operations who are in better position to give you all the necessary detail you required. GTB is one of the best bank in Nigeria and are known for quality and superior service even though 70% of their staff are on contract.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 20, 2010
i had the same experience yesterday, my ATM card was missing so i rushed to the bank to bank to have it blocked only for me to be told that i need to get a police report and i was like what if one of this fraudulent people is with my ATM and while i was running about for police report the person is busy withdrawing all my life savings? The customer service person was just looking @ me. That she was rude, insultive and dismissive is not a big deal to me, i bank regularly with GTB and i know that their rudeness is legendary. So said okay give me my account balance so that i can transfer my money into my skye bank account and she said "Mr Man our new policy is that account balance can only be checked with your ATM". Hello!! didn't i just tell her that my ATM card is missing? I demanded for her supervisor and who gave me my balance and had my money transferred. Like Sanusi said they are nothing but gambling centers.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by pingu2k5(m): 9:55am On Jul 20, 2010
Ok, I am not so vast in the use of the internet and I am not interested in the use of ATM because it is fraud-prone, how am I supposed to know my account balance other than inquiring at Customer Service desk

I think banks should only advise their customers on the use of their products and technologies and not enforce them on their customers.

@Poster: Thank God for competition, you can change your bank if you are no longer pleased with your current bank's services and the delivery of their services.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by seyibrown(f): 1:26pm On Jul 20, 2010
My last experience with them was in 2006 when I was paying some money into a friend's bank account. The female teller was very very very very rude. I couldn't help wondering why she was taking out any frustrations she had on me and whether she thought sitting behind that counter was the best position she would attain in life. I had known since that time that GTB wasn't my kind of bank.

As regards UBA, E be like say I get about 600 Naira for there. Opened the account because I got a UBA cheque but when I saw how backwards they were and how they charged money for making a withdrawal from a branch other than the one where I opened my account, I comot all my money leave the minimum balance (in 2005), just in case i get another crazy UBA cheque!  grin
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by odedele: 5:36pm On Jul 20, 2010
had a very bad xperience wit one of their brh recently.most of dis banks r living on past glory.D so called recued banks r fearing beta now.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by sammoR: 6:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
Like Youngies said, you shuld have walked up to the branch manager or operations head to lay your complaint. I am sure this would have been easily resolved. You can still check your balances at any Gtbank customer care desk. Takes only a few minutes. As per ATM fraud, it's not like a gtbank thing oooo. People are not too careful with their card details, you hold your acrd loosely on the queue while waiting to use the atm, a fraudster sees the details on the card(and they'r quite smart), your card gets cloned and you blame gtbank. Please guard your card and pin details like it's your life(Your ATM is linked to your account and has your hard earned money on it). Never allow any one close to you while making your withdrawals. Lastly rush to the nearest GTbank and collect you MAstercard Naira Card. It's much safer.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by skillmyman(m): 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2010
TWO things,

CBN is now very tough of KYC issues and it is easier to trace money posted into an account than paid over the counter.
and I think that is why your Nigeria's drivers licence was asked for.
The other way to think is that they are marketing you just to open an account but i guess they went abt it in an immatured way!

CBN is also working on paying western union into an account and not paying over the counter like the current practice is.

I also think we need to imbibe the culture of using technology in our daily lives instead of wasting precious time. that is y gtbank came out with Gtconnect so customers can get all information about their accounts through the facility.
It is better you check ur balance using internet banking facility from ur office instead of going all the way to the bank just to check ur account balance.

cheers guys!!
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by PLENTYNAIR(m): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2011
I am wondering which of the GTBank you guys are castigating. So far I have never had any unsatisfactory session with the three branches I always use. The only prob I can think of is the long time wasting ques I sometimes encounter in the BULK DEPOSIT department.
Re: GTB Bank And Their Checking Balance Rule by walcolm(m): 10:26am On Nov 16, 2011
@OP,

if you say you opened a sub-account and you have decided you will only transact on that account by being physically present at the banking hall, then i hope you wont come here to cry if the bank charges you for every banking hall transaction on that account if those transactions could have been done via any of their self service channels?

money has been spent to provide the self service channels (phone, internet and atm) at no cost to the customer, if you choose not to use those facility and take up space and staff manhour in the banking hall because you feel like it, then expect to pay extra in charges

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Law Compels Zimbabwe Banks To Accept Cattles, Goat And Sheep As Collateral. / Is It Possible For One To Retire In His 40s / How To Get Opay Aggregator Code (for Fast POS Approval)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.