Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread (426044 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by jamoyakz: 2:24am On Oct 26, 2018
stevewale:
Nice thread ... relocated to US via K1 ... cool and smooth process ...
could you share your experience in detailed from start to finish?
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:11am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
Hi guys,

I am a K1 Visa applicant. I had to create this thread because I couldn't find a thread that's specially dedicated to Fiancee (K1) Visa Application. My motivation for the creation of this thread is the USA Visit Visa Thread which have been really helpful to lots of nairalanders and guests (shout out to LadyGuinivere and Co).

K1 Visa is unique because it has both non-immigrant and immigrant features hence the need to have a dedicated thread where issues can be thrashed out.

My hope is that both successful, delayed and intending K1 Visa applicants will be active on this thread so we can all learn from each other. Also I hope we can get the Visa Officers to offer their professional comments once in a while.

So I'll provide a brief guide on how to proceed with the K1 Visa application. Please correct me in the places where I'm wrong so I can effect the changes.

The first step in the visa application is the filling of a petition using the form I-129F by your US citizen fiancee whom you must have met in person. The filled form is submitted to USCIS at their US address. If the petition is approved, it is sent to the NVC who in turn sends it to the US Embassy here in Lagos.

Once the US Embassy receives your casefile, you can now proceed with the second step which is to fill the DS-160 form and schedule an Interview.

After the interview, you will be issued a K1 Visa if you were successful which allows you entry into the States. You must marry your fiancee within 90 days of entry.

Details of the process involved can be found here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

I recommend we all read the info on the link before asking specific questions on this thread.

Oya let the discussions begin smiley

Honorable Mentions

It’s not a must to meet your fiancé. There are waivers for that. Very hard to qualify but some have done it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 26, 2018
ediku208:

If you register your marriage at ikoyi it's no more a K1 intent but a K3 visa would be needed. Cause you guys have proof of marriage

K3 ke? You mean CR1 or IR1?

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
Why must it be in Nigeria if I may ask as well?

The most important thing is that the two meet in person and are sure that they love each other. Wherever they meet is of no substance.

It doesn’t have to be in Nigeria but pictures with relatives in their home setting might sway certain VOs.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 26, 2018
Chapecoense:
Nice thread, I have a question: Can the US citizen Use a joint sponsor if they have an income that is not sufficient enough?

Yes. He can also use his property or the foreigners property.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
I think it's the tax return of the petitioner (the US citizen) that they are asking for. But if you as the beneficiary have tax clearance, fine and good. But the compulsory documents required of you the beneficiary is the medical report, police clearance, divorce certificate (if previously married), birth certificate (from NPC), bank account statement, and evidential documents to prove you have met your fiancee and that you love him/her.

Police clearance is not difficult to get. You can get it same day within few hours.

Where are you getting the info that the foreigners bank account is needed?

It’s not. What would that prove?
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 5:26am On Oct 26, 2018
ediku208:

The citizens parents can co-sponsor for the K1 to work also . So it depends on what is preferable

It doesn’t have to be the parents. It can be anybody.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 8:18am On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It’s not a must to meet your fiancé. There are waivers for that. Very hard to qualify but some have done it.

Theoretically there are waivers BUT it's hard and almost impossible to get the visa from Nigeria if you have not met in person as Nigeria is regarded as a high fraud area.

Culturally or even based on religion, nothing stops the couple from meeting physically in our environment.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 8:19am On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

K3 ke? You mean CR1 or IR1?

Yes, there is a K3 for married couples.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by ediku208: 8:26am On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

I was beginning to think weather I was getting everything wrong ..
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 8:39am On Oct 26, 2018
ediku208:

I was beginning to think weather I was getting everything wrong ..

However, there is no point doing a K3 for married couples as the processing time is similar hence no advantage at all.

The best bet for married couples is use the CR1 or IR1 depending on how long they have been married for.

Meanwhile, this thread is for the K1 so let's not lose focus.

2 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by ediku208: 10:07am On Oct 26, 2018
Thanks bro .....
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There are no waivers here in Nigeria as it is not a taboo in our culture for the couple to meet before getting married. The US Consulate here in Lagos knows this so any couple from Naija seeking such waiver is on a long thing.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 10:36am On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Where are you getting the info that the foreigners bank account is needed?

It’s not. What would that prove?
The bank account of the beneficiary as well as that of the petitioner is needed. These are documents to show that the beneficiary will not be public charge on immigrating to the States.

The bank account documents of the petitioner is the most important as the K1 Visa will bring the beneficiary over to the States to depend on him or her

That of the beneficiary is not as important as the petitioner but might be needed as well. If he or she has other source of wealth such as landed properties, shares, bonds, etc, it's best he or she brings evidence to the interview as well. These would supplement that of the petitioner.

Remember also that even though the K1 Visa is an immigrant visa, it has some non-immigrant component as well thus it's adviced that documents that could demonstrate ties to Nigeria be brought as well by the beneficiary. They need to be sure that the beneficiary will not hesitate to come back to Nigeria should the marriage not work out wink.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by CrispyMentalist(m): 10:59am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
The bank account of the beneficiary as well as the petitioner is needed. These are documents to show that the beneficiary will not be public charge on immigrating to the States.

The bank account documents of the petitioner is the most important as the K1 Visa will bring the beneficiary over to the States to depend on him or her

That of the beneficiary is not as important as the beneficiary but might be needed as well. If he or she has other source of wealth such as landed properties, shares, bonds, etc, it's best he or she brings evidence to the interview as well. These would supplement that of the petitioner.

Remember also that even though the K1 Visa is an immigrant visa, it has some non-immigrant component as well thus it's adviced that documents that could demonstrate ties to Nigeria be brought as well by the beneficiary. They need to be sure that the beneficiary will not hesitate to come back to Nigeria should the marriage not work out wink.

You're right. You technically still have to demonstrate you qualify for the K1 "non-immigrant visa" irrespective of your petitioner meeting the sponsorship requirement. Meeting the requirement to be a sponsor only goes as far as getting your petition approved. The onus is still on you to prove you meet the requirements for a K1 visa during your interview.
However, you don't need to pad up your account to prove anything. Having a good job with stable income should suffice.

Modified: This is only with regards to consular processing at the interview stage. It has no bearing on the initial K1 application.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
The bank account of the beneficiary as well as that of the petitioner is needed. These are documents to show that the beneficiary will not be public charge on immigrating to the States.

That of the beneficiary is not as important as the petitioner but might be needed as well. If he or she has other source of wealth such as landed properties, shares, bonds, etc, it's best he or she brings evidence to the interview as well. These would supplement that of the petitioner.

You’re completely incorrect.

For anyone that’s really serious about this please go to VisaJourney.Com for proper guidance, there’s a healthy contingent of Nigerians on there.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 26, 2018
LegitBachelor:
There are no waivers here in Nigeria as it is not a taboo in our culture for the couple to meet before getting married. The US Consulate here in Lagos knows this so any couple from Naija seeking such waiver is on a long thing.

So it’s agreed that there’s a waiver. The waiver is not just for cultural taboo.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

Theoretically there are waivers BUT it's hard and almost impossible to get the visa from Nigeria if you have not met in person as Nigeria is regarded as a high fraud area.

Culturally or even based on religion, nothing stops the couple from meeting physically in our environment.

There is a waiver and regardless of how tough it might be to use. If this thread is meant to be informative then everything should be spelt out.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

Of course there is but it’s not commonly used anymore.

It was used back when the wait time for approvals was much longer.

How many K3s were approved at USEL in the past year?
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 26, 2018
CrispyMentalist:

You're right. You technically still have to demonstrate you qualify for the K1 "non-immigrant visa" irrespective of your petitioner meeting the sponsorship requirement. Meeting the requirement to be a sponsor only goes as far as getting your petition approved. The onus is still on you to prove you meet the requirements for a K1 visa during your interview.
However, you don't need to pad up your account to prove anything. Having a good job with stable income should suffice.

You don't need a job to qualify for a K1 visa.

The US Consulate does not ask for the beneficiary's bank statement.

The list below is specific requirements by the US Consulate in Lagos:

'INSTRUCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR FIANCÉ (E) VISA APPLICANTS

Dear Applicant,
The U.S. Consulate General, Lagos is ready to proceed with your fiancé (e) visa application. After you have paid your fee and scheduled your appointment you will come for your interview. Please review the following information carefully as you prepare for your interview.

The following are required for the visa interview.

1. Form DS-160: Fill out the online DS-160 visa application.

2. Visa Fee:

3. Schedule the interview: You must schedule your visa interview appointment. You will need your payment receipt number to schedule the interview.

4. International Passport: Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past your interview date.

5. Affidavit of Support (including tax returns): All applicants are required to have an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134 and an IRS Tax Return). It is required for ALL applicants to demonstrate that the immigrant is not likely to become a public charge while in the United States. If the petitioner makes LESS than the minimum for their Household size, they MUST get a joint sponsor to also submit an Affidavit of Support along with their most recent tax return.

6. Medical Exam: Arrange for a medical examination by one of the physicians listed. You are responsible for paying for the medical exam. The medical exam is only valid for six (6) months and must be valid in order for you to travel to the U.S. It is recommended that you get the medical exam 2 weeks before your interview date. A medical exam is required for all applicants, regardless of age.

7. Police Certificate: Applicants age 16 or older must submit a police certificate for ALL countries in which they have resided for more than one year after reaching age 16 (If you have ever lived or studied in another country for more than one year, you MUST get a police report from that country). The police certificate must have been issued less than 1 year ago.

8. Passport Photos:

9. Original Documents: Bring evidence that will support your case (Bring a photocopy of all original documents) including but not limited to:
(i) Marriage certificates (ii) Birth certificates (iii) Divorce certificates (iv) Adoption decrees (v) Death certificates (vi) Photographs of you and the petitioner together at various times in your relationship

10. Other Supporting Documents: Bring evidence of the ongoing relationship you have with the applicant, including but not limited to:
Photographs, Chat logs from social media, Phone records showing both phone numbers and duration of call, Email correspondence

11. Court and Immigration Records: If you have been convicted of a crime or other offense, in the United States or elsewhere, obtain a certified court record covering each offense. If you previously resided in the U.S., you are encouraged to bring evidence of your immigration status during your stay, and records of any previous U.S. visa extensions and deportations that would be relevant for review.'

Those are what is needed for the interview.

When a case reaches the embassy / consulate, the required information will be sent to the beneficiary as a guide.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There is a waiver and regardless of how tough it might be to use. If this thread is meant to be informative then everything should be spelt out.

I assume this is to provide help specifically for Nigerians in Nigeria.

Any visa application from Nigeria is unlikely to be be granted if the condition of physical meeting is not met. So, best is to meet that requirement rather than hoping for a miracle that will not happen.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

I assume this is to provide help specifically for Nigerians in Nigeria.

Any visa application from Nigeria is unlikely to be be granted if the condition of physical meeting is not met. So, best is to meet that requirement rather than hoping for a miracle that will not happen.

So USCIS put out a bulletin that stated that Nigerians are excluded from using the meeting requirement waiver?

If the thread is meant to be informative then all needs to be laid out.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 12:14pm On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Of course there is but it’s not commonly used anymore.

It was used back when the wait time for approvals was much longer.

How many K3s were approved at USEL in the past year?

I already stated that here.

sharpman1:

However, there is no point doing a K3 for married couples as the processing time is similar hence no advantage at all.

The best bet for married couples is use the CR1 or IR1 depending on how long they have been married for.

Meanwhile, this thread is for the K1 so let's not lose focus.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

I already stated that here.

I never said you didn’t.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 12:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

So USCIS put out a bulletin that stated that Nigerians are excluded from using the meeting requirement waiver?

If the thread is meant to be informative then all needs to be laid out.

Oga, It's okay.

Just know that the US Consulate in Lagos is unlikely to approve a K1 Visa if the condition of meeting in person in the past 2 years is not met.

The job of the USCIS is to approve petitions. Approving petition is not the same as granting visa. Many people with approved petitions have been denied visas.

The job of the consulate is to GRANT the visa. The Consulate in Lagos is unlikely to (and i am trying to avoid using WILL NOT) grant a visa if the couples have not met physically at least once in the past 2 years.

As a matter of fact, the more the physical meetings, the better the chances of being issued to K1 visa.

The end game is to get the K1 visa and not just to have the petition approved. An approved petition is actually worthless if the visa is not granted because the decision of the VO can't be appealed.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

Oga, It's okay.

Just know that the US Consulate in Lagos is unlikely to approve a K1 Visa if the condition of meeting in person in the past 2 years is not met.

The job of the USCIS is to approve petitions. Approving petition is not the same as granting visa. Many people with approved petitions have been denied visas.

The job of the consulate is to GRANT the visa. The Consulate in Lagos is unlikely to (and i am trying to avoid using WILL NOT) grant a visa if the couples have not met physically at least once in the past 2 years.

As a matter of fact, the more the physical meetings, the better the chances of being issued to K1 visa.

The end game is to get the K1 visa and not just to have the petition approved. An approved petition is actually worthless if the visa is not granted because the decision of the VO can't be appealed.

Oga, it’s okay too.

You are not a USEL VO nor work for USCIS so you can’t say what can or can’t be approved.

Moral of my write up is to show that a waiver exists.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by jamoyakz: 1:47pm On Oct 26, 2018
hi guys please how much does the medical examination cost and which hospital is accredited to doing it
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 1:54pm On Oct 26, 2018
jamoyakz:
hi guys please how much does the medical examination cost and which hospital is accredited to doing it

Two hospitals in Lagos.

The Consultants Practice
The Children’s Practice
25 Raymond Njoku
Ikoyi
Lagos
Telephone: 01-893-0723,
01-461-1941

Q-Life Family Clinic
Plot 155A Prince Ade Odedina Street
Off Ajose Adeogun
Victoria Island Annexe
Lagos, Nigeria
Telephone: 01-804-2000,
01-726-2840

You can can find out the cost from them
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by jamoyakz: 1:57pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

Two hospitals in Lagos.

The Consultants Practice
The Children’s Practice
25 Raymond Njoku
Ikoyi
Lagos
Telephone: 01-893-0723,
01-461-1941

Q-Life Family Clinic
Plot 155A Prince Ade Odedina Street
Off Ajose Adeogun
Victoria Island Annexe
Lagos, Nigeria
Telephone: 01-804-2000,
01-726-2840

You can can find out the cost from them
thank you please do you if there is anyone in Abuja
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
jamoyakz:
thank you please do you if there is anyone in Abuja

If you are applying for a K1, i expect the consulate to send you instructions and requirements.

The accredited hospitals are listed in the instructions for the K1.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by CrispyMentalist(m): 2:19pm On Oct 26, 2018
sharpman1:

You don't need a job to qualify for a K1 visa.

The US Consulate does not ask for the beneficiary's bank statement.

The list below is specific requirements by the US Consulate in Lagos:

'INSTRUCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR FIANCÉ (E) VISA APPLICANTS

Dear Applicant,
The U.S. Consulate General, Lagos is ready to proceed with your fiancé (e) visa application. After you have paid your fee and scheduled your appointment you will come for your interview. Please review the following information carefully as you prepare for your interview.

The following are required for the visa interview.

1. Form DS-160: Fill out the online DS-160 visa application.

2. Visa Fee:

3. Schedule the interview: You must schedule your visa interview appointment. You will need your payment receipt number to schedule the interview.

4. International Passport: Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past your interview date.

5. Affidavit of Support (including tax returns): All applicants are required to have an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134 and an IRS Tax Return). It is required for ALL applicants to demonstrate that the immigrant is not likely to become a public charge while in the United States. If the petitioner makes LESS than the minimum for their Household size, they MUST get a joint sponsor to also submit an Affidavit of Support along with their most recent tax return.

6. Medical Exam: Arrange for a medical examination by one of the physicians listed. You are responsible for paying for the medical exam. The medical exam is only valid for six (6) months and must be valid in order for you to travel to the U.S. It is recommended that you get the medical exam 2 weeks before your interview date. A medical exam is required for all applicants, regardless of age.

7. Police Certificate: Applicants age 16 or older must submit a police certificate for ALL countries in which they have resided for more than one year after reaching age 16 (If you have ever lived or studied in another country for more than one year, you MUST get a police report from that country). The police certificate must have been issued less than 1 year ago.

8. Passport Photos:

9. Original Documents: Bring evidence that will support your case (Bring a photocopy of all original documents) including but not limited to:
(i) Marriage certificates (ii) Birth certificates (iii) Divorce certificates (iv) Adoption decrees (v) Death certificates (vi) Photographs of you and the petitioner together at various times in your relationship

10. Other Supporting Documents: Bring evidence of the ongoing relationship you have with the applicant, including but not limited to:
Photographs, Chat logs from social media, Phone records showing both phone numbers and duration of call, Email correspondence

11. Court and Immigration Records: If you have been convicted of a crime or other offense, in the United States or elsewhere, obtain a certified court record covering each offense. If you previously resided in the U.S., you are encouraged to bring evidence of your immigration status during your stay, and records of any previous U.S. visa extensions and deportations that would be relevant for review.'

Those are what is needed for the interview.

When a case reaches the embassy / consulate, the required information will be sent to the beneficiary as a guide.

A K1 is still a non-immigrant visa even though technically it eventually leads to the beneficiary becoming an immigrant. However, this doesn't happen in all cases.Therefore, you need to satisfy all the requirements for a non-immigrant visa before you'll be issued one. I know a friend who went through the K1 process like I did and the petitioner eventually did not marry him when he got to the US. He ran out of Status when his marriage window lapsed. At that level, his stay became illegal.

The whole idea of being 'eligible" for a "visa" is to ensure you have enough motivation to return back to your home country when things go wrong. A job, property, etc., serve as some kind of proof that you'll return to your country if your fiancee doesn't marry you. That's why they typically ask you to provide "evidences that'll support your case"- they're not just limited to what they ask for.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 2:22pm On Oct 26, 2018
EgunMogaji:

So it’s agreed that there’s a waiver. The waiver is not just for cultural taboo.
Yes there's a waiver. But we are being practical here. The US Embassy is aware of our culture and religion. They know our norms allow couples to meet before marriage. Note that "meet" doesn't imply sleeping together or meeting alone. The couples can meet in the presence of others. It's permitted in Christianity and in Islam. They also know it's permitted in our culture. So it will be near impossible for such waiver to be granted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (259) (Reply)

Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.