Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! (29435 Views)

Sallah: NATCOM DG, Dr. Baba Mohammed Felicitates With Nigerians / New Year: NATCOM Boss Felicitates With Nigerians / Best Places To Generally Meet Girls In Lahore & Dating Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by meobizy(f): 8:52am On Oct 22, 2018
The problem I see in these scenarios is lack of a maintenance culture. It is an African problem. I am beginning to believe it is one thing the white man possessed but Africans refused to imbibe.

If there were people to act on hand as security personnel then all these would not happen. I am happy to see the facilities could exist in the first place which means our problems stem from people non-willing to put in action most of the time.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Jaqenhghar: 8:52am On Oct 22, 2018
greatcrown:
There is nothing wrong with Nigerians.
Everything highlighted up there is just failed leadership.

In every sane society government will deploy her mercenary to ensure people who are constituting nuisance are adequately punished.

But here in Nigeria, our leaders would rather lament like the OP instead of fixing the problem.

It is so unfortunate that even in your apartment, you could not motivate others to do the right thing.

Anybody can talk about the problem but it will require people of strongly will to come up with solution.

So OP please go back to your house, clean the clogged alternative drainage and encourage those ladies to do same.
Building a stronger and better Nigeria begins with each of us.
Thays a big black fat lie. You have never been to a "developed" society then. No one has time to monitor you. People just have the natural inclination to do whats right because they understand its to their benefit. There are deviants of course and those ones are a minority. Must they deploy people to always monitor you? Even something as simple as dispose of your trash properly for your health government must monitor you. SMH

10 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 8:53am On Oct 22, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Bullshit. I keep saying the poverty levels in Niggeria is not as bad as Niger republic nut you dont see Niger people behaving thay way
Sir , it is poverty related . The only difference between them and us is the fact that they (Niger ) have morals . We on the other hand do not regard morals ; we let our poverty-mindset corrupt our own morals ; which in turn causes us to do questionable things.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Vince77(m): 8:53am On Oct 22, 2018
getukudo:
In my area, state govt had contracted Gitto to build a new road for a village that had no road at all. Contractors had moved to site, workers, equipments and all. I was shocked when youths blocked the contractors, seized their equipments and even beat up some of the workers. When I enquired about what happened, I was told that the chief had ordered the youths to demand for 20million from the contractors before starting work which the contractors had settled the chief 2M and youths 1M before proceeding to site.

I knew from that day that there's something wrong with us as a people.

Chai... Please where did this happen?
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 8:55am On Oct 22, 2018
Proffdada:
education not poverty. Education can get rid of poverty. I don't mean only formal education but education within society. Elders,church, parents,peer groups etc. In the old days,it's done through folk tales but today it's otherwise. I'm even scared for the newer generations watching violence and immorality.
Sir , education cannot help when it comes to poverty . Sorry . A hungry man will never learn anything ; no matter how advantageous it may be in the long-run
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by chronique(m): 8:55am On Oct 22, 2018
Sadly true. There's something wrong with most Nigerians. When I think about it all, I just come to the conclusion that we are living in a psychiatric nation.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 22, 2018
The leaders are only a reflection of the majority people. This is the hard truth we need to tell ourselves. There are many good and sane Nigerians. It is unfortunate that the number of bad ones outweighs the good the reason for the generalization. Majority always carry the vote.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by 1x2x3: 8:56am On Oct 22, 2018
People say the problem is illiteracy but it is not. Illiteracy isn't an excuse.
Every circumstances the op listed can and will happen in USA if surveillance and adequate security isn't in place.

Citizen biometric Database and cctv surveillance is enough to prevent 70% of the crime and nuisance happening today + a working judiciary system.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by mycar: 8:56am On Oct 22, 2018
Add bigotry to it my dear
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Ugosample(m): 8:57am On Oct 22, 2018
Famzer:

In life it's what you focus on that expands,there is nothing strange about having deviants in a society. If you study sociology you would have been taught.Some months back,British teenagers were sneaking out of UK to join ISIS and the whole world was shocked with repeated school and public shooting massacre in the US.
In that same Jos,an imam provided safe haven for Christians during religious skirmishes. The same Nigeria defeated recession while countries filled with angels like Greece and Venezuela couldn't. This is the Nigeria that's the biggest economy in Africa and trudging on despite our flaws. While lamenting and displaying subtle subterfuge,why don't you pick one area of our national problems as a university graduate and dedicate your best towards solving that problem. You will then have a basis to mobilize others. True leaders don't lament,they face challenges head long and never stop until they overcome the problem.

story story

the negatives are so so so much

it's hard to focus on the "positives"
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Proffdada: 8:58am On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
Sir , education cannot help when it comes to poverty . Sorry . A hungry man will never learn anything ; no matter how advantageous it may be in the long-run
like I said, education is not going to school only.

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Tinalex(f): 9:00am On Oct 22, 2018
Famzer:

In life it's what you focus on that expands,there is nothing strange about having deviants in a society. If you study sociology you would have been taught.Some months back,British teenagers were sneaking out of UK to join ISIS and the whole world was shocked with repeated school and public shooting massacre in the US.
In that same Jos,an imam provided safe haven for Christians during religious skirmishes. The same Nigeria defeated recession while countries filled with angels like Greece and Venezuela couldn't. This is the Nigeria that's the biggest economy in Africa and trudging on despite our flaws. While lamenting and displaying subtle subterfuge,why don't you pick one area of our national problems as a university graduate and dedicate your best towards solving that problem. You will then have a basis to mobilize others. True leaders don't lament,they face challenges head long and never stop until they overcome the problem.

Famzer o...are you a Nigerian who resides in the country? Op just wrote something innovative and cogent which is the bane of all ruckus in this country and all you could reply is whatever you spewed up there? One of Nigeria's problem spotted already...Oga wey study sociology!!!!

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Proffdada:
like I said, education is not going to school only.
I know what you said ; you spoke of oral-education through the use of folklore , right ?
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Jaqenhghar: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
Sir , it is poverty related . The only difference between them and us is the fact that they (Niger ) have morals . We on the other hand do not regard morals ; we let our poverty-mindset corrupt our own morals ; which in turn causes us to do questionable things.
Oga you are almost touching on the actual problem. Do you know that mo matter how much a Niggerian earns he will still steal. I went for a conference once in abuja. See how they were rushing snacks. The peole rushing these snacks were well placed people some of whom earn big money. Tell me what kind of poverty is that one suffering? That snack at most will not be up to 2k a man who earns something like 500 -800k a month will be rushing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by 1x2x3: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Thays a big black fat lie. You have never been to a "developed" society then. No one has time to monitor you. People just have the natural inclination to do whats right because they understand its to their benefit. There are deviants of course and those ones are a minority. Must they deploy people to always monitor you? Even something as simple as dispose of your trash properly for your health government must monitor you. SMH

You lie. They monitor you with cctv in streets and security showing up within 5 mins of distress call. If you know you are traceable you won't commit certain crime. These people have database and can easily identify and locate anyone constituting nuisance.

3 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by achillesfoot(m): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
kennygee:

I will. But one thing I know is, people will most certainly put the now ahead of the future when it comes to food and hunger.

Please do not use French revolution and make a comparison to Nigerians ohh, You will be wasting your time.. French na Europeans, you and i know those people can die for their beliefs. Nigeria na Africa and you know how the typical Nigerian would say, i cannot come and die. so you for no bother to read any French wetin wetin. but you can take time to learn their language not their revolution.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Jaqenhghar: 9:03am On Oct 22, 2018
1x2x3:

You lie. They monitor you with cctv in streets and security showing up within 5 mins of distress call. If you know you are traceable you won't commit certain crime. These people have database and can easily identify and locate anyone constituting nuisance.
Clearly you have never been there. Is it everywhere there are CCTV? OK before the popularity of CCTV tell me how they were monitoring people since you know so much.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Ugosample(m): 9:03am On Oct 22, 2018
mudiana:
Nigeria awkward, very awkward. You create something beautiful or of great importance and before you know, it gets destroy or stolen. In Benin, you provide street lights and the next thing trucks and buses starts running into them. Same goes for road dividers. Manhole covers for drainages gets stolen at nyt. Nigeria is a self destructive country. You want to fix a road for them and youths of the community tell you that you have to pay them for it cos they have been the ones maintaining the roads. I want to leave this country becos a lot of the pple don't have right thinking minds. I can't live in hell twice but I can try live in heaven twice. Canada pls accept me with open arm.

you have said it all

a self destruct country
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by daveP(m): 9:03am On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
...but the bulk of those engaged in such acts come from the poor
Sure! And they are ready to kiss the feet of the rich white in turn are so so comfy with passing a few currencies around, and feel the world owes them some respect cos of this act. I agree too. Most Nigerians are so so uncouth and have bad environmental sanity, most especially the ladies. Behind outside and very very dirty and unkempt inside. Seems the only clean world to them should be their rooms(that's of its even clean, tidy).

Not to talk of boundary disputes, and like that streetlight issue, selling to the highest bidder will continue to give the imbalance our society currently experiences. Lemme not go into Phcn and the NPF.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by nokatakata: 9:04am On Oct 22, 2018
our leaders are extremely useless. if our leaders would do their job, i swear Nigeria will be the best African country to live in...people won't be struggling to travel out. The things are, i don't see any hope for this country. sometimes i wish the british can just come back and colonize us again or some strong country should just bomb the whole of Nigeria and forget we exist. the country is too useless
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Ugosample(m): 9:06am On Oct 22, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Oga you are almost touching on the actual problem. Do you know that mo matter how much a Niggerian earns he will still steal. I went for a conference once in abuja. See how they were rushing snacks. The peole rushing these snacks were well placed people some of whom earn big money. Tell me what kind of poverty is that one suffering? That snack at most will not be up to 2k a man who earns something like 500 -800k a month will be rushing.

it's the repugnant mentality prevalent in that $hithole

Even back in the day when I used to volunteer in different villages across Africa, you will not see them rush food or goodies and they are in a much worse state than Nigeria (well except the Liberian, those ones are even worse than Nigerians)

4 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Tinalex(f): 9:07am On Oct 22, 2018
meobizy:
The problem I see in these scenarios is lack of a maintenance culture. It is an African problem. I am beginning to believe it is one thing the white man possessed but Africans refused to imbibe.

If there were people to act on hand as security personnel then all these would not happen. I am happy to see the facilities could exist in the first place which means our problems stem from people non-willing to put in action most of the time.
How can we imbibe something that is not dictated by one stupid tradition? We are so backward as Africans cos we refuse to be liberalists. Everything about us is conservative and this has affected everything I mean talk of every strata in this country. Everything in Nigeria has a particular way they do it, and you dare not explore a new way to make same thing more efficient, they either tag you as being possessed, I too know or disobeying the gods. Just name one thing in this country that does not follow existing precedence!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by philkoms: 9:07am On Oct 22, 2018
Famzer:

Finally,when the naysayers say there's casting down,I will say there's a lifting up.

U re on point.if all of us can have this attitude am sure things will change.
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by 1x2x3: 9:07am On Oct 22, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Clearly you have never been there. Is it everywhere there are CCTV? OK before the popularity of CCTV tell me how they were monitoring people since you know so much.

Bro without a cctv ordinary picture is enough to capture anyone in a developed country because they have a biometric Database.

Do you know people can easily take pictures of these rascals but what can our security operatives do with mere picture of a face without identifiable database?

If someone mistakenly transfer 500k to you before it is as good as gone but with BVN you know you can't take that money and get away with it. So automatically you will behave according.

4 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Ugosample(m): 9:08am On Oct 22, 2018
princeking2:

C'mon fella,
Stop motivating yourself with leadership traits that you sillying don't have. That post up there is insightful. Some Nigerians really have something wrong with them. Take it or leave it, we have a lot of folks in Nigeria who would obey the laws and act good because they know that punishment is attached.
Let's look inside us and get little things done rightly and help create an atmosphere of excellence. It begins from inside.

exactly
Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Sir , some people might be rich on the outside but at heart they are poor . My mum worked for Patience Jonathan in 2015 . The woman being the first lady , and with all the wealth of the nation at her feet was poor at heart ; she was having trouble paying those who worked for her , and even when she did pay , it was always half payment! So some people are just like that . It could be based on their past experiences with poverty and that has brought them to have that kind of mindset

2 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by YomiBankz(m): 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
This is best piece i have read on NL this year...this writer just defined every of my thoughts about Nigeria and Nigerians...we need to get in line...some of us are unlucky to be uneducated, maybe perhaps that's the reason why some Nigerians misbehave so to say, fine, education helps sharpen one's reasoning, but i believe self discipline matters a lot too..i mean we all know what is right and wrong, we just need to discipline ourselves to do right always. Building a greater Nigeria begins with us, those little things we over look matter.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Fhowe: 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
Can you be carefree if you are rich ? No. A poor person does not consider himself or the things he does ; he is trying to survive. But this is not so with the rich .
yes you can be rich and care free ,a simple illustration the state of the road that leads to where you stay is bad and you know you have the power and influence that can draw the attention of the government to fix it up but you careless cause you drive a Prado and it can take the potholes easily on the short run but on the long run once the prado develops a fault you spend higher so it is as simple as that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Amhappy(f): 9:10am On Oct 22, 2018
Nigeria is a very complex society. I remember when i was serving and my friend was sick so we visited the government hospital and it was in a very bad state. While chatting with the CMD,he told us that its more than 3 times since he took over efforts have been made to renovate the hospital. But when the money arrives the villagers will mobilize to the hospital and demand that the money should be shared instead.

5 Likes

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by qanda: 9:12am On Oct 22, 2018
God bless the writer for this deep soul search. For one, I think implementation of policies by enforcement agencies will help and punishment of offenders. However, the enforcement agents are no better... unfortunately.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by afroxyz: 9:12am On Oct 22, 2018
Famzer:

In life it's what you focus on that expands,there is nothing strange about having deviants in a society. If you study sociology you would have been taught.Some months back,British teenagers were sneaking out of UK to join ISIS and the whole world was shocked with repeated school and public shooting massacres in the US.
In that same Jos,an imam provided safe haven for Christians during religious skirmishes. The same Nigeria defeated recession while countries filled with angels like Greece and Venezuela couldn't. This is the Nigeria that's the biggest economy in Africa and trudging on despite our flaws. Instead of lamenting and displaying subtle subterfuge,why don't you pick one area of our national problems as a university graduate and dedicate your best towards solving that problem. You will then have a basis to mobilize others. True leaders don't lament,they face challenges head long and never stop until they overcome the problem.
Finally,when the naysayers say there's casting down,I will say there's a lifting up.

This is our problem. Rather than take stock and seek how to be better people we keep shifting the bulk to the next person. Through his write up is it not clear to you that he has identified the problem of value and character and is seeking to remedy it through his write up? Or did you just want to comment. Choosing to end your quote with a biblical passage whereas the people that brought the religion to you have abandoned it and developed themselves.

1 Like

Re: Something Is Generally Wrong With Nigerians!!! by Shelumiel: 9:14am On Oct 22, 2018
Fhowe:
yes you can be rich and care free ,a simple illustration the state of the road that leads to where you stay is bad and you know you have the power and influence that can draw the attention of the government to fix it up but you careless cause you drive a Prado and it can take the potholes easily on the short run but on the long run once the prado develops a fault you spend higher so it is as simple as that
The example you gave is has no relation to the carefree attitude of the rich. Why ? Because is the job of the government to fix roads ; that is why citizens(both rich and poor) pay taxes to the government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 7 Things That Consume Nigerians’ Money Most / TB Joshua Reacts To New Gay Law / The Big Python We Killed In My Community (IKO NTA) Akwa Ibom (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.