Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU (15304 Views)

The Best Android Smartphones Under ₦40,000 ($115) / 10m Nigerians To Get Free Wi-fi Facilities As Google Station Opens / Less Than N30,000 Quality Android Smartphones In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:13am On Oct 22, 2018
If there's one thing I hate about the European Union, It's the way they keep coming up with irrelevant policies every now and then.

I can still understand the fact that Android is one of the most widely used mobile operating system on the market, hence, it is subject to scrutiny and constant assessment by regulators from the countries where it is present. However, now according to the latest reports, Google will charge $40 per device for Android.

This is coming as a result of a fine imposed on Google by the European union. In case you don’t know what happened, in July the European Commission fined the tech giant Google because they felt the company took advantage of Android’s market leadership to force distribution of the search application and Chrome on the various smartphones manufacturers. In exchange, Google provided these companies with a license to access the Play Store at no cost.

The European Commission allegedly considered this anti-competitive, because, it “denied rivals the chance to innovate and compete on merits.” Although it is appealing the fine, the tech giant Google decided to change its licensing rules to comply with the determinations of the European authorities.

This is where the issue of license collection appears. Android itself, when treated solely as an operating system, has open source and zero cost as long as there is no Google app in pre-installation. But to make it minimally usable to the user, you need to include applications and services. But these tools are not free or open source, hence, it is necessary to license them

Before the fine, the manufacturer who wanted to insert a Google application into their device (for example, the search engine) could do so if it installed everything else like Chrome, Maps, To Do, among many others. In return, there was no charge for licensing.

But that was not the only rule, as the tech giant, Google allowed the installation of competing applications. If a manufacturer wanted to distribute the Bing app, for example, it would have to position the Google search engine on the Android home screen. This is what the European Commission has played, essentially As a precaution, the tech giant Google is treating the matter with secrecy, but the documents obtained by The Verge indicate that this licensing scheme will be kept optional. If a manufacturer wants to install Google applications but does not follow the conditions of the company, it can do so, but paying for licensing.

If companies end up paying for licence for Google products expect the price of each phone released by smartphone companies to go up a bit. Unless Google decides to restrict the law to Europe else you’ll be paying more for an Android phone soon.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/10/android-smartphones-may-become-more.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Juicybreed(m): 10:56am On Oct 22, 2018
I t
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by tolexy007(m): 10:56am On Oct 22, 2018
undecided
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by BiafrodExposed: 10:57am On Oct 22, 2018
hmm
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by HolyMalaam: 10:57am On Oct 22, 2018
cheesy
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Kayharry(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
Ok
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Humblega(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
We will kuku go back to our old phone models and be doing throw back everyday.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by XTHRONE(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
It won't work in Nigeria,if it does Aba boys are there to salvage the matter.

3 Likes

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by MorataFC: 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
Ok
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Britishcoins(m): 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
My problem now is how to Meet Nnamdi Kanu

3 Likes

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by xynerise: 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
Bad news for Phone freaks and business owners
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Opinionated: 10:58am On Oct 22, 2018
Oh oh! some of their fans will still react let's keep watching, nonetheless as fr as money is involve grin grin

Have u heard or seen the new version of android? Learn the Amazing Features of the New Android 9 Pie

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
Last last everybody will be alright grin
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by ndachee: 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
Ehyaaa, for those ppl wey like flashy phones
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by phr0nesis(m): 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
I know I don't understand anything up there but I'll comment to feel among.

Tech guru like moi

5 Likes

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Obas101(m): 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
We adsense earners are also affected
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Aboguede(m): 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
If it eventually happens as reported and the EU does nothing or delay doing something and the price of Android phones increase abnormally then it is a deliberate coordinated plan by the two parties to steal from the unsuspecting European Villagers

Infact right now Android phones are more costly in the EU already compared to other continents

Example, Samsung's j5 is sold for 190 euros which is at least 80k in naira. U can check the price in ur area

And this is the major reason uk left EU because joblessness is already killing many the empty but boastful EU countries

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by SarkinYarki: 10:59am On Oct 22, 2018
This is how EU have killed most of their companies by not encouraging free economies of scale
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Astrosmart: 11:00am On Oct 22, 2018
Thank God
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by tmgtreasure(m): 11:00am On Oct 22, 2018
Mtchew.... Chiko don take over
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Mulatta(m): 11:00am On Oct 22, 2018
It's for the Europeans

3 Likes

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Brownshugar69: 11:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Na only very few of use know what this means.
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by sirhood: 11:01am On Oct 22, 2018
they know themselves
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by martineverest(m): 11:01am On Oct 22, 2018
I see android OEMs coming together to create their own Version of play store

1 Like

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Astrosmart: 11:02am On Oct 22, 2018
SarkinYarki:
This is how EU have killed most of their companies by not encouraging free economies of scale
I know Buhari supporters are always du** but the EU did the right thing..

I won't expect you to know since you support lifeless leader that put us in recession twice

3 Likes

Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 22, 2018
Britishcoins:
My problem now is how to Meet Nnamdi Kanu

grin grin
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by ossaisly(m): 11:03am On Oct 22, 2018
Na today? We re waiting
Re: Android Smartphones May Become More Expensive As Google Clashes With EU by Centcanada: 11:04am On Oct 22, 2018
Okolie! What is this news all about again? Nothing when oyibo no go give us especially we when be black when bad belle no go enter ram. Oya! We day!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Airtel 24/7 Data Plans For Heavy Downloaders / I'm Highly Disappointed With JUMIA. / How To Stop Unfortunately Ppsspp Has Stopped When Playing Pes 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.