Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,811 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' (14803 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by EmagNig(m): 5:21pm On Oct 22, 2018

A Nigerian-American authour Nnedi Okorafor has come under fire on Twitter after she replied Talk is Cheap to an upcoming author who had boasted that she will one day be one of the best writers to come out of Nigeria.

The young writer had taken to her Twitter page to write on her aspiration and how she will be revelled in the future as one of the best writers to have come out of the country.

She wrote:

I am going to be one of the best writers to come out of Nigeria.

Then in what sounded as a mis-interpreted chastisement, Nnedi Okorafor had written:

Talk is Cheap

This surely didn't go well with the young write who believed the established authour looked down on her and she responded in what can be considered as a clap back:

Lmao this was so unnecessary and disappointing from you smh. I thought you were magic but this is such as basic reply. Also, have you heard of speaking something into existence?

See the exchange:

The exchange between the duo actually generated a whole lot of reactions on Twitter with some people being on the young writer's side with the explanation that Nnedi ought to have either corrected her in a well understandable manner.

And some even went further to chastise the young writer for not utilising to opportunity she had to have gained the attention of the world-famous authour.

But in her defense, Nnedi mentioned that was her usual mode of telling students to do more and not just say the words.

A check on her twitter page even indicated same reply she gave to someone in 2017.

https://lailasnews.com/twitter-drama-between-nnedi-okorafor-upcoming-author-she-told-talk-is-cheap/

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Tamarapetty(f): 5:35pm On Oct 22, 2018
These two should be taken to daura aswell

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by pzphoto(m): 5:59pm On Oct 22, 2018
Problem tiyin niyen

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by slapandfall(m): 6:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
aeiou
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
This is what blogging has turn into smh

5 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
as a matter of fact, she is indeed very correct...Talk is Cheap

Walk the Talk

upcoming author my ass...all I see is a dumb ass.
she couldn't even read between the lines. SMH

so much for our Twitter generation

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Kenekingisback: 6:23pm On Oct 22, 2018
Have huge respect for Nnedi but she fall my left hand with this beer parlour comment sef undecided

8 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by freethinker01: 6:24pm On Oct 22, 2018
Both of them are wrong. There are other ways she could have put it that it wouldn't have sounded insulting and on the other hand, the girl lacks emotional intelligence... That would have been her motivation but not a form of clap back as she reasons it. My opinion though

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by imitateMe(m): 6:25pm On Oct 22, 2018
Even those who created social media don't use it for such nonsense. Black men and women have IQ problem.

4 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by SageTravels: 6:25pm On Oct 22, 2018
I did see insult there. I saw motivation. talk is cheap to me is a call the wake up and respond with a good script.

Talk is Cheap True

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Olohunjedalo(m): 6:26pm On Oct 22, 2018
NoSidonLook:
as a matter of fact, she is indeed very correct...Talk is Cheap

Walk the Talk
Talk is cheap!

2 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by EdoBozz(m): 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2018
There is nothing wrong with what she said. Talk is cheap... Means be a doer and not a talker.

I wonder how the other lady can become the best writer when she can not comprehend a simple statement.

Their problem sha..

13 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by adioolayi(m): 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2018
Talk is cheap.... Meaning: Act it out, Get at it...Just do it... She was actually trying to push the young writer unfortunately she didn't get it

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by ictjobber: 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2018
Women are their own problems
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by SEONaijaExpert: 6:31pm On Oct 22, 2018
That young writer didn't get the message, she took it as an insult.

Practically, her senior colleague was right about her... Talk is cheap!

2 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by okwabayi(m): 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
Wait o, I didn't see any random insults or 'hmm' replies. Is one trying to tell me the IQ on Nigerian Twitter is higher than here?
All I see is a civil discussion, something which hardly exists here.

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by omoadeleye(m): 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
Ori young writer yen ti buru grin grin she can't even handle handle sarcasm to talk of criticism

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by naturefellow(m): 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
lazy bloggers. Just be on,twitter and Instagram,all day to get news.

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Fierce11: 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2018
There's nothing like "just do it" or any "motivation" in what she wrote,, her reply was the usual damage control done by foolish celebrities.
YOU: "I'm gonna be great".
ME: "Talk is cheap".
That's a terrible morale killer.
Talk is cheap.. I know.. But sense is cheaper..
Unfortunately, Nnedi could not afford it.

20 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by SexyVina(f): 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2018
Talk is cheap
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by ictjobber: 6:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
yeyerolling:

And what is wrong with this blog post?
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by jetz(m): 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2018
Tis a case of misinterpretation i guess
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by DBossNG(m): 6:43pm On Oct 22, 2018
ok
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by cmecproblem(m): 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2018
Deep down we all know what nedi meant, she shouldn't try to cover up, very shameful, just apologize.

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by mimimile93: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Kentrasso(f): 6:57pm On Oct 22, 2018
“Talk is cheap” doesn’t sound like motivation at all. For an outsider reading it, it’s like saying “you’re no good”, “you can’t do it”. Very demeaning

7 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by akinszz: 6:57pm On Oct 22, 2018
Iranu

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 22, 2018
Kentrasso:
“Talk is cheap” doesn’t sound like motivation at all. For an outsider reading it, it’s like saying “you’re no good”, “you can’t do it”. Very demeaning
Very true.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mary Apocalypse Rise of Titans / Lilyjoe Wins Nairaland 200-Word Competition / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.