Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? (764 Views)

Has Your Faith In God Or Religion Ever Been Seriously Challenged? / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by hilli666(m): 5:45pm On Jul 16, 2010
It struck me one day while browsing through the various topics on Nairaland that Nigerians when confronted with any sort of adversity are quick to turn to God! Such issues could be as simple as a power outage to more serious ones like a terminal illness. It seems this behavior might explain the current dismal and deteriorating state of our country. In other cultures where religion is not as prevalent, when people are confronted with problems their immediate instinct is to set out and find a solution in doing so other solutions are found! This leads to innovation and invention that ultimately better the overall society, but in our country we have adopt a dangerous doctrine and attitude "why bother when God will fix it for me"
In waiting for miracles, we have failed to seek solutions and as such we haven’t found any. Like the saying goes "Necessity is the mother of all invention" we certainly have the necessity, but when it comes to the invention we conveniently sit back and wait for God to invent it for us. So can it now be said that God or religion is one of, if not Nigeria’s greatest obstacle? Lets debate this I’m curious to hear your thoughts and viewpoints.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by manmustwac(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2010
Both. They pray to God to come down from Heaven and solve Nigeria's problems and use religion to help ease the pain suffering and hardship of life.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:31pm On Jul 16, 2010
Nigerians themselves are their own greatest obstacles. Religions and God(s) are just their instruments of self-hindrance. That is why they are now fervently looking up in the sky waiting for the end of the world that would herald in their mythical jewish hippie or the arabian normad to drop from the sky and save them from their own stupidity and immaturity. Totally pathetice lot, they are.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by mazaje(m): 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Nigerians themselves are their own greatest obstacles. Religions and God(s) are just their instruments of self-hindrance. That is why they are now fervently looking up in the sky waiting for the end of the world that would herald in their mythical jewish hippie or the arabian normad to drop from the sky and save them from their own stupidity and immaturity. Totally pathetice lot, they are.

O boi you dey vex ohhh. . . . .
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Acidosis(m): 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2010
None, our greatest problem is the 'self' psychology that co-exist right from the days of our fore fathers. Religion is not our problem but the ingrates that refuse to appreciate the commandments, and God is the last word I expect you to mention!
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by TV01(m): 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2010
Neither. Nigerians are Nigerias greatest obstacle. I suggest carpet bombing, fumigating and restocking with Ghanaians, genetically spliced with Senegambians, with perhaps with a hint of Camerounian. Why do you ask tongue?
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Horus(m): 12:14am On Jul 17, 2010
hilli666:

It struck me one day while browsing through the various topics on Nairaland that Nigerians when confronted with any sort of adversity are quick to turn to God! Such issues could be as simple as a power outage to more serious ones like a terminal illness. It seems this behavior might explain the current dismal and deteriorating state of our country. In other cultures where religion is not as prevalent, when people are confronted with problems their immediate instinct is to set out and find a solution in doing so other solutions are found! This leads to innovation and invention that ultimately better the overall society, but in our country we have adopt a dangerous doctrine and attitude "why bother when God will fix it for me"
In waiting for miracles, we have failed to seek solutions and as such we haven’t found any. Like the saying goes "Necessity is the mother of all invention" we certainly have the necessity, but when it comes to the invention we conveniently sit back and wait for God to invent it for us. So can it now be said that God or religion is one of, if not Nigeria’s greatest obstacle? Lets debate this I’m curious to hear your thoughts and viewpoints.

Religion is Nigeria's greatest obstacle. Religion is for drop outs. People hold on to religion, like a crutch because they can't make it any other way. With religion you stop being responsible for your own actions and blame someone else like God when it's something you like and the Devil when it's something you don't like.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Zodiac61(m): 12:56am On Jul 17, 2010
Both. God and religion also reinforce things like misogyny, tribalism, racism and homophobia. It amazes me, for instance, that there are Nigerian christians who believe in the so called "curse of Ham." The justification for advocating the death penalty for homosexuals is "the bible says so", or "the koran says so." The excuse for marrying a 14 year old girl, "if it was good enough for the prophet, it is good enough for me."
People get away with anything if they claim that they are acting on behalf of god. I have said it several times that Nigerians waste so many man-hours in the churches and the mosques, praying to an imaginary being that does not answer. The capacity for self-deception amongst Nigerians is amazing.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by manmustwac(m): 1:28am On Jul 17, 2010
When nigerians should be organising demonstrations or start a revolution to fight the government they would rather be fighting themselves over religious beliefs. sad
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 17, 2010
Zodiac61:

Both. God and religion also reinforce things like misogyny, tribalism, racism and homophobia. It amazes me, for instance, that there are Nigerian christians who believe in the so called "curse of Ham." The justification for advocating the death penalty for homosexuals is "the bible says so", or "the koran says so." The excuse for marrying a 14 year old girl, "if it was good enough for the prophet, it is good enough for me."
People get away with anything if they claim that they are acting on behalf of god. I have said it several times that Nigerians waste so many man-hours in the churches and the mosques, praying to an imaginary being that does not answer. The capacity for self-deception amongst Nigerians is amazing.

Cosign.
Re: Is God Or Religion Nigeria's Greatest Obstacle? by Jephyard(m): 2:58pm On Jul 17, 2010
If i had to comment, religion, culture n pride is the main problem of Nigerian

(1) (Reply)

The Real Face Of Jesus / In Pictures- President Goddluck Jonathan At The Holy Ghost Congress / Let Your Light So Shine Before Men This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.