Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,931 members, 7,799,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies (3463 Views)

How Relevant Are The HSE And PMP Certifications? / How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? / What Exactly Is Cfa And How Relevant Are They? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by cashful(m): 6:07pm On Jul 16, 2010
Do you belong to any professional body? In what ways have you benefited from this organisation(s). have they really been relevant to your career and professional growth (or did you join them just to belong),
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by cashful(m): 9:44pm On Jul 17, 2010
for example, if you are an engineer, do you belong to NSE or registered with Coren? if no why, and if yes how as the membership benefited you.
something like this for whatever career or profession you are engaged in, thanks
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2010
cashful:

for example, if you are an engineer, do you belong to NSE or registered with Coren? if no why, and if yes how as the membership benefited you.
something like this for whatever career or profession you are engaged in, thanks

COREN? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

When I served in '98, they showed up in our camp, sold us some brochure for N300 (we paid out of our lean 1.6k), promised to ensure we all got posted to work as engineers, and we never heard from them again.

I think COREN and NSE are useless. Rather than creating technical standards, they are busy creating cadres, and promoting discrimination between uni and poly graduates. Most of them are daft old academics and desperate government contractors anyway.
I have never looked their way since NYSC, and will not be doing so anytime soon.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by cashful(m): 10:15pm On Jul 18, 2010
AjanleKoko:

COREN?  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

When I served in '98, they showed up in our camp, sold us some brochure for N300 (we paid out of our lean 1.6k), promised to ensure we all got posted to work as engineers, and we never heard from them again.

I think COREN and NSE are useless. Rather than creating technical standards, they are busy creating cadres, and promoting discrimination between uni and poly graduates. Most of them are daft old academics and desperate government contractors anyway.
I have never looked their way since NYSC, and will not be doing so anytime soon.

i share your opinion Ajanlekoko, i did buy the form for COREN(@ NYSC), and nothing came out of it, and presently the only reason i am considering registering with either of them is majorly not for professional reasons .

but i would love to hear from guys that are benefiting from professional bodies that they belong to.
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by AjanleKoko: 8:57am On Jul 19, 2010
^^
Try the accounting and banking bodies, law, and possibly the medical sciences.
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by lekside44(m): 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2010
they are very relevant. only if they are doing things the way its meant to be done
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by cashful(m): 2:59pm On Aug 05, 2010
lekside44:

they are very relevant. only if they are doing things the way its meant to be done

expatiate please using one example
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by webbaba: 1:28am On Aug 28, 2010
Professional bodies in Nigeria are only interested in getting money from as much as they could get with empty promises in return.
Check computer CPN, NCP and some local forensic assoc around.

They are laughables grin
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2010
Two very professional bodies in Nigeria are ICAN and COREN.
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by webbaba: 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2010
cashful:

Do you belong  to any professional body? In what ways have you benefited from this organisation(s). have they really been relevant to your career and professional growth (or did you join them just to belong),
Forget about those Nigerian based professional assoc presently- they are cults and discriminates.
This nation needs people and service oriented prof. assoc., visionary, and benefiting that are not out to rip the society now.
Its time some new assocs come up to compete with the old cabals Don't you agree with me?
Re: How Relevant Are Nigerian Professional Bodies by marjo: 5:09pm On Aug 31, 2010
I believe they are not relevant.

I am with ICSAN and CIPMN. i used to be with NIM till they became a "dugbe" association. every post NYSC graduate is a member !!

ICSAN is only really relevant to lawyers which i am not but did it then because i wanted a career change and it was recognised in the commonwealth nations. When i did the exams way back in the early 90's it wasnt specifically a law thing till lawyers hijacked it and insisted that all corporate secretaries who are usually lawyers must have ICSAN.

NIM - because i was entering mgt cadre i joined up. i left cos i saw that they just wanted numbers and were marketing every Ngozi, Iyabo and Fatima. they were practically selling their membership like crayfish sad

I am also a CIPMN member  and am an HR practitioner. You can never post a professional enquiry and get a reply. their website is never updated. their HR forum in non-existent.

In short, i have gained nothing from them. they all eventually are big boy clubs and the only thing they know how to do is collect subscriptions, levy one thing or another and increase exam fees.

Havent you seen how NBA is stealthily becoming, under the guise of modernising, an elitist organisation. Check them out in This Day on Tuesdays.

I am purely a member because employers insist on these professional memberships. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Improve Employee's Engagement / HND Holders For Direct M.sc Program / How Much Does Agusto & Co Pay Fresh Graduates (entry Level)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.