Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

The Poor State Of Lagos Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Poor State Of Lagos Roads (6167 Views)

Poor State Of Nigerian Prisons (photos) / PDP To Summon Minister Over Poor State Of Federal Roads / Presidency Reacts To ACN On Jonathan Use Of Lagos Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by AloyEmeka8: 2:37am On Jul 17, 2010
On the matter of the poor state of Lagos roads

By Abimbola Adelakun, Published: Thursday, 15 July 2010

God knows how much I hate to over flog the issue of the poor state of Lagos roads but I cannot help but revisit the matter now and then especially since nothing concrete has been done so far.

The problem is, Lagos roads are bad.

It is ironic that government focuses on vehicles that are road worthy while forgetting that most roads are not even car worthy. I live in an area where the road is so bad that driving through the place is a nightmare. A part of the road was hurriedly repaired but with two or three heavy rainfalls, the outer layer has been washed away and the façade underneath has been revealed for all to see.

That is not the only sorry story. The road leading to my house is so bad that whenever it rains, I am ashamed when a visitor comes to see me. The road issue has brought us untold sufferings. One has to dodge Okadas, dodge vehicles, dodge wheel barrows and every kind of moving vehicles just to survive moving round the area. It is highly frustrating.

The road has been under repairs for about two years now. God knows when the local government (I am told it is the LG that is constructing the road) will get its act together and complete the road once and for all.

Well, from all indications, the problem is not limited to my place alone. From a reader who lives in another part of Lagos whose name I will decline to mention, I have a list of roads that are in a very bad shape. All over the city, people are complaining about potholes and other problems with the road.

A trip round oshodi, Ikeja, Agege, Aswani road, isolo way etc shows that the problem is a general one. In fact, I am tempted to believe that every road in Lagos is bad. A friend of mine actually pointed out that there are only six good roads in Lagos: kudirat Abiola,Awolowo Road,Itire Road,Bourdillon Road and Lekki Road. I will like to add the new UniLag road to that list. The rest are either nor strong enough or have been seriously damaged.

http://www.punchng.com/blog_read.aspx?read=210
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by babapupa: 3:20am On Jul 17, 2010
u don take break from Akala threads?

Get a f/o/rkin/g life.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by AloyEmeka8: 3:21am On Jul 17, 2010
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by babapupa: 4:03am On Jul 17, 2010
Sure, there are bad roads in Lagos, we all know that so this is really a useless piece of information. The fact is, there are many good roads too. When are you going to bless us with good and uplifting info about the so many good roads?

Please excuse me if you are allergic to good and bad is all you know about. There's got to me more to our existence than your endless supply of Akala and other negative and depressing threads. 

Have you showed face in paddy lo's Ikoyi bridge thread? Nope. But if na some negative nonsense about Lagos state, you for don show up to give your dose of negative comments.

You try small today sha, I was expecting another Akala thread. Abeg clap for yourself.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by maree7(f): 4:15am On Jul 17, 2010
Whether anybody likes it or not by the GRACE of GOD,  Lagos is going to become a MEGA CITY with Good Roads , Constant Electricity, Constant Water supply , Much more Jobs , Good Health care system , the whole nine yards. IF IT PAINS YOU SO MUCH. DEAL WITH IT.

And if anybody likes they can go and start looking for pot holes on the road or articles that degrade Lagos. That is some people's job, and it is needed for development. THE MORE NEGATIVE YOU SEE IN LAGOS THE BETTER LAGOS GETS.

THE DEVELOPMENT OF LAGOS HAS NOT FINISHED SO STOP BEING SO QUICK TO JUDGE. IT IS A PROCESS BE PATIENT.

Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by maree7(f): 4:19am On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

Sure, there are bad roads in Lagos, we all know that so this is really a useless piece of information. The fact is, there are many good roads too. When are you going to bless us with good and uplifting info about the so many good roads?

Please excuse me if you are allergic to good and bad is all you know about. There's got to me more to our existence than your endless supply of Akala and other negative and depressing threads. 

Have you showed face in paddy lo's Ikoyi bridge thread? Nope. But if na some negative nonsense about Lagos state, you for don show up to give your dose of negative comments.

You try small today sha, I was expecting another Akala thread. Abeg clap for yourself.

lol, so you too noticed. . . I can read them like a book.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by babapupa: 4:40am On Jul 17, 2010
maree7:

lol, so you too noticed. . .  I can read them like a book.

I know the usual suspects and their sad and pathetic playbook, especially the OP. They'll never start threads or say anything about the other side of the Niger and their backward existence over there, but they are ready to lose sleep and die over other people's state's and problems. Everyday, it's Lagos state, Ekiti, Akala and other ridiculous nonsense.

What about your own people? Don't you think they need the same attention and focus you needless shower everyday on other people?

The same OP once lampooned the Lagos state government for initiating electric vehicles. Just imagine. Just like their leaders, they lack vision.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by bkbabe90(m): 4:58am On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

I know the usual suspects and their sad and pathetic playbook, especially the OP. They'll never start threads or say anything about the other side of the Niger and their backward existence over there, but they are ready to lose sleep and die over other people's state's and problems. Everyday, it's Lagos state, Ekiti, Akala and other ridiculous nonsense.

What about your own people? Don't you think they need the same attention and focus you needless shower everyday on other people?

The same OP once lampooned the Lagos state government for initiating electric vehicles. Just imagine. Just like their leaders, they lack vision.

Whoa, chill!!! yOU Cant be referring to the almighty Biafrans as hypocrites! They just "looking out" for yall. . . . . . even if your area is more developed than theirs!!!
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by babapupa: 5:05am On Jul 17, 2010
bk/babe90:

Whoa, chill!!! yOU Cant be referring to the almighty Biafrans as hypocrites! They just "looking" out for yall. . . . . . even if your area is more developed than theirs!!!

I don't need their attention and I don't want them to look out for me. Obviously, their communities could use all the help and attention in the world.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by maree7(f): 5:08am On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

lol, I wonder why some people are so quick to notice the speck of wood in others eyes but intentionally choose not to notice the Big log in theirs.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by femmy2010(m): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2010
Only a blind person would not notice that we have much more better road than we had 3 years ago.
There is hadly a local govt or cda where a road construction,re-construction an maintenance is not going on.
Am no politician and have never voted b4 in my life but would do to re-endorse fashola for a 2nd term come 2011.
God willing.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Gbawe: 11:37am On Jul 17, 2010
femmy2010:

Only a blind person would not notice that we have much more better road than we had 3 years ago.
There is hadly a local govt or cda where a road construction,re-construction an maintenance is not going on.
Am no politician and have never voted b4 in my life but would do to re-endorse fashola for a 2nd term come 2011.
God willing.

Precisely . When I see articles like these lately I conclude it is written by enemies-of-progress. Those who then introduce these junk articles to Nigerian forums are equally guilty of bad belle for Lagos and Fashola. We know many roads remain bad in Lagos but it is only an enemy-of-progress that will write about bad roads without factually balancing this with an admission of the many good roads Lagos now has courtesy of Governor Fashola.

Lagosians under 30 will readily admit that , as per the issue of roads, Lagos has never had it so good !!! As I said on another thread , as a Surulere resident all my life in Nigeria, I cannot remember ever seeing Eric Moore road, Western Avenue and many other roads looking as good as they do today !!!!!

It is only detractors , enemies-of-progress and wildy irrational individuals who will focus alone on what remains undone when commonsense (except it aint so common) should lead reasonable folks to understand that , given Fashola's superb performance so far , most bad roads will eventually be renovated and new ones , where needed within the development plan, will be built.

Fashola is working with a cohesive development plan for Lagos. Lagosians on the ground can see concrete evidence of this. That is all that matters. Fashola is running the most complex, most difficult, most challenging and , by far , most populous State in Nigeria. He is doing a great job yet there is always negative attention on Lagos and Fashola while other Governors who are running their little States into the ground are ignored . It just makes me conclude that PHD (pull-him-down syndrome) is officially a Nigerian disease !!!
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by yemmight(m): 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2010
The issue with Lagos bad roads from my own view has been negligence on the part of FG.  Majority of these roads belong to FG.  I remember vividly well during Tinubu administration when state and FG are always at loggerheads as to who repairs what.  Overtime FG has warned state govt not to repair these roads.  Honestly Fashola is trying to fix some of these bad roads even at the LG levels.  In summary, FG has not been responsible in managing roads accross the nation.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Agibecky: 3:30pm On Jul 17, 2010
yemmight:

The issue with Lagos bad roads from my own view has been negligence on the part of FG. Majority of these roads belong to FG. I remember vividly well during Tinubu administration when state and FG are always at loggerheads as to who repairs what. Overtime FG has warned state govt not to repair these roads. Honestly Fashola is trying to fix some of these bad roads even at the LG levels. In summary, FG has not been responsible in managing roads accross the nation.

The FG should not be blamed for the bad roads inside Bariga, Ifako, Gbagada and other parts under the LGAs of the Lagos State Government.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by ezeagu(m): 6:20pm On Jul 17, 2010
babapupa:

bk/babe90:

Whoa, chill!!! yOU Cant be referring to the almighty Biafrans as hypocrites! They just "looking out" for yall. . . . . . even if your area is more developed than theirs!!!

Uhmm, perhaps you weren't paying attention but the name of the author of the original post is [size=15pt]Abimbola Adelakun[/size] please look for other excuses/scapegoats. Thank you.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2010
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by AloyEmeka8: 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2010
yomola:

Talking about bad roads, check this out!, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-480769.0.html#msg6402723

You better take cover before fashola worshipers descend on you. They don't care whether you are the person who posted the tread or whether na you be the author sef, na everybody must be massacred Northern mentality they will use against you. Read through this thread and see the array of insults I've received for posting something written by another person. Imagine what they will do to the real author if they see him in person.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by AloyEmeka8: 7:34pm On Jul 17, 2010
ezeagu:

Uhmm, perhaps you weren't paying attention but the name of the author of the original post is [size=15pt]Abimbola Adelakun[/size] please look for other excuses/scapegoats. Thank you.

Somehow I think Babapupa is one of these riffraffs who receive secret funding from politicians to help checkmate their critics online.  Obama, Bush, Clinton ,etc have one and I will not be surprised if Fashola has one in Babapupa. After all it will not cost him more than N200K a month to employ him for the purposes of trolling Nigerian websites and cursing out any mortal who dare to speak against them.

From the way he defends Fashola sheepishly, you will notice that he is a paid agent. Its all good because I've learned to ignore him hundred years ago. I am only sorry for the likes of KoboJunkie who wastes his saliva trying to talk sense into a mercenary.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by tpiah: 7:44pm On Jul 17, 2010
They'll never start threads or say anything about the other side of the Niger

even more insane is the fact that this aloy emeka thinks she's adept at hiding where she comes from. (not from across the niger).

one day na one day when yawa go scatter.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by dayokanu(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2010
tpiah:

even more insane is the fact that this aloy emeka thinks she's adept at hiding where she comes from. (not from across the niger).

Is she able to deceive anyone about this?

Everyone knows this is the same hotfunmi/earthmama/deepzone/osunamazon who lives in Houston Texas
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Onlytruth(m): 9:33pm On Jul 17, 2010
Wao! There are still bad roads in Lagos! shocked shocked I thought Fashola fixed them all. grin Fucking morons.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by femmy2010(m): 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2010
Only a slowpoke would think fashola can fix all roads.
Generality of Lagosian knows he is doing a great job and very much aprc8.
A goo government is one that has brought greater good to the populace and in my un-biased opinion he has done well.
Eko o ni baje ooOO
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by babapupa: 4:35am On Jul 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Wao! There are still bad roads in Lagos! shocked shocked I thought Fashola fixed them all.  grin bleeping morons.
There are of course bad roads in lagos, even the most advanced country in the world have bad roads and the fact that you and your brother the OP posted this no news garbage and you thinking that fashola fixed or is capable of fixing all the roads in lagos clearly highlights your collective stupity and idiotic ways of reasoning. Obviously, you and your akala infatuated brother are the only dumb morons in this thread.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by bkbabe90(m): 6:57am On Jul 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Wao! There are still bad roads in Lagos! shocked shocked I thought Fashola fixed them all. grin bleeping morons.

Lets see some BIAFRAN ROADS!!!!
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by oderemo(m): 10:12am On Jul 18, 2010
Wao! There are still bad roads in Lagos! I thought Fashola fixed them all. bleeping morons
can we know your own state?
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Mariory(m): 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2010
I think this all stems from the fact that recently some folks have been posting stories of development success in Lagos. There are a number of very insecure people out there who don't like this.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Gbawe: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2010
Mariory:

I think this all stems from the fact that recently some folks have been posting stories of development success in Lagos. There are a number of very insecure people out there who don't like this.

I agree totally. In fact what you identify here is , to an extent , one of the reasons we remain underdeveloped . The incompetent and clueless leaders , who continue to promote their own kind to the detriment of Nigeria, are just mirroring the attitude of some Nigerians who cannot appreciate and support a performer simply because that person is not from their region, tribe, clan, political party , caucus, etc , etc .
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by sjeezy8: 5:08pm On Jul 18, 2010
Theres bad roads in Lagos- but they have been there for the last how many years . . . and there are many new roads in Lagos and they have been there for 2 years or less pere.

I hadnt been in gidi since 2008-09 which is still fresh infashs term but my fam is in Gidi now and they always comment on how much contruction is going on

tpiah:

They'll never start threads or say anything about the other side of the Niger

I wouldnt even open a thread about the other side of the Niger. Like whats the point

dayokanu:

Is she able to deceive anyone about this?

Everyone knows this is the same hotfunmi/earthmama/deepzone/osunamazon who lives in Houston Texas

lol - Ive always said Aloy is a Gay man or a chick - cause shes always opening threads about men .
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Tonim(f): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2010
I am just glad Aloy_emeka  has been exposed for what she truly is. Babapupa, Maree7 and others
see right through her.

She spends her whole life posting anything negative about the South West. However, when an
igbo accomplishes something, she is the first to post it.

I believe everyone can see right through her

Mariory:

GBAM! You have said it all !! Kudos to you and shame to the OP !!!!!!
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by Tonim(f): 5:29pm On Jul 18, 2010
The moderator should move this thread to this board

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-40.0.html

That's where it belongs.
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by ikeyman00(m): 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2010
toni
I am just glad Aloy_emeka has been exposed for what she truly is. Babapupa, Maree7 and others
see right through her.

She spends her whole life posting anything negative about the South West. However, when an
igbo accomplishes something, she is the first to post it.

I believe everyone can see right through her

and u think we are so stupid to believe that??

and by the way whats up with the THISDAY editior that lost his job simply by writing an article about ur darling govern

Fashola in communism ni abi ha
Re: The Poor State Of Lagos Roads by AloyEmeka8: 7:46pm On Jul 18, 2010
[size=14pt]Bad Roads In Lagos: Fashola Goofed[/size]

Author: Date: Jul 13th, 2010.

Apparently reacting to reports about the bad state of roads in Lagos State and government’s seeming insensitivity to the plight of motorists and commuters alike, Governor Babatunde Fashola, at a retreat held for members of his cabinet, permanent secretaries and other top government officials at the weekend blamed the rains for the deplorable state of the roads.

According to the governor, the situation is not peculiar to Lagos alone as states located within the coastal belt usually suffer flooding during rainy season which often damages the roads. Even in Europe, the governor asserted, roads go bad during the winter and are repaired thereafter. While pleading with Lagosians and the media to show understanding at this period, the governor assured that his administration would move quickly to repair the roads once the rains stopped.
He also seized the opportunity to inform Lagosians of the effort of his administration in road construction and rehabilitation, boasting that his administration had built more roads in the last three years than a country like Ghana did within the same period.

As much as we sympathise with the governor over the criticisms he received on the poor state of roads in the state, we regard his explanations as a feeble attempt to shield fraudulent contractors who perform shoddy jobs in the construction and rehabilitation of these roads. When you appoint a contractor on the basis of political considerations to execute road contracts, you will always have bad roads because they will cut corners to maximise their profit. Besides, political contractors have godfathers they have to give certain returns out of the total contract sum, thereby leaving them with insufficient fund to execute the project.

An investigation of most of the failed roads in the state carried out by P.M.NEWSrecently revealed that they were poorly executed by the contractors. Most of them were constructed or rehabilitated, with substandard materials and thin layers of asphalt. Whenever a little rain falls, the surface is washed away and this exposes the red clay underneath. As vehicles ply the road, potholes appear on it and they widen and become a source of nightmare for road users.

During our investigation, we also discovered that there are some well built roads in the state which are unaffected by the rains because of the thick layer of asphalt used in covering the surface and the good drainage system. Examples of these roads are the Alhaja Kudirat Abiola Road, Onikan Road, Commercial Avenue, Yaba, Awolowo Road, Ikoyi and a few others on Lagos Island and Lagos Mainland.

Infact, most of the roads in the Lagos suburbs are in a terrible state with large potholes that usually burst tyres of vehicles that mistakenly run into them. The governor should drive round roads in Ogba, College Road, Ago Palace Way, Okota, some roads in Lekki Phase 1 and 2, especially Victoria Arobieke Road end of Admiralty Road, Akowonjo, Shomolu and Bariga roads, etc. to asssess things by himself. Perhaps his aides are deceiving him that these roads are not as bad as Lagosians are complaining about. He will be shocked at the state of these roads.

The excuse by Governor Fashola that the the rains brought about the poor state of the roads rings hollow. It is the shoddy job done by contractors that has been exposed by the rains. These contractors and their corrupt, inept, incompetent collaborators in the state Ministry of Works should be brought to book.

It is a well known fact that engineers charged with inspecting these roads and advising the government appropriately on their quality have also compromised their professional integrity by approving poorly constructed roads that cannot stand the test of time. They do this after receiving gratification from the contractors. Government should give road contracts only to reputable professionals who would build durable roads according to specifications.
Engineers should also be made to do their work conscientiously and ascertain the quality of the materials used in the construction of roads. Bad jobs should not be approved and the contractor concerned should be sanctioned.

Another area we want the governor to look into is the drainages. It is true that the administration has been constructing drainages along roads in the state, but this has not had a significant effect in reducing flooding in the state because the drains drain water to nowhere. In some instances, you find most of these drainages blocked by wastes and other impediments. As a result of blocked drainages, water stays longer than necessary on the roads and this leads to erosion of the roads and the potholes are created.

Measures should also be taken against indiscriminate digging of roads in the metropolis because this also contributes to the poor state of the roads. Most important, we urge Governor Fashola to embark on filling the potholes as a palliative measure pending the total rehabilitation of the roads immediately after the rainy season.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/07/13/bad-roads-in-lagos-fashola-goofed/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Has Lost Its Fight Against Boko Haram - Obama / Kaduna Burning Now! / Osun - 20,000 OYES Cadets Graduate. 18,000 Youth Get Permanent Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.