Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

How US And The UK Prisons Differ - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How US And The UK Prisons Differ (754 Views)

U.S. Bureau Of Prisons To Probe Hushpuppi Over Viral Feast At Fort Dix Facility / Cooked Weed(edibles)and Smoking,how Do They Differ And Which One Is Better / Deputy Superintendent Of Prisons Arrested For Armed Robbery In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How US And The UK Prisons Differ by ItuExchange(m): 12:19am On Oct 24, 2018
How bad are US prisons compared to prisons in the UK?

I was arrested in Spain back in 2012 and spent 11 months in prison in Madrid before being extradited to the U.S. where I spent almost a further 5 years.

The prison in Madrid was 100 times more humane than every jail and prison I was housed in in the U.S.

I don’t have any direct experience of serving time in a British prison but had several friends who successfully transferred back to the U.K to serve the remainder of their sentences. Their feedback was that they were extremely happy to be back home albeit in prison, and that conditions were much more humane.

The American prison system is brutal to say the least. Suicide in County Jails is extremely high compared to the rest of the population and one reason is that mental health institutions are closing down by the bucket load, meaning that the only alternative is to send these people to County Jails when they step out of line.

The American prison system is big business and the statistics regarding the countries percentage population on a global scale compared to their prison population on the same scale is staggering. While the U.S. Accounts for less than 5% of the world’s population it actually accounts for around 22% of the world’s prison population.

Whole towns have been built around prisons. It costs the tax payer around $30,000 USD per annum to house a federal inmate and not far off that for State inmates. Big business indeed. On a federal scale, the government certainly wants to squeeze every last dollar out of the tax payer as the early release policy only extends to around 12% reduction of the sentence for good behaviour. The British system has an automatic release policy after 50% of a sentence is served. What this means to the U.S prisoner compared to the British prisoner is that a six year sentence translates in real terms to 5 years and 3 months compared to 3 years respectively.

Ultimately, I don’t recommend prison to anyone anywhere in the world, but if you are set on going make sure your crimes have no connection to the U.S!

Source: https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-US-prisons-compared-to-prisons-in-the-UK

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by peteruuu(m): 12:52am On Oct 24, 2018
Just incase....

I was here.
Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by generalissimo(m): 7:06am On Oct 24, 2018
peteruuu:
Just incase....

I was here.
You are confusing us. You didnt mention which of the prisons you were. UK or US
Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by peteruuu(m): 8:20am On Oct 24, 2018
generalissimo:
You are confusing us. You didnt mention which of the prisons you were. UK or US

Lol. None bro. Maybe you have difficulties in understanding simple English language.

1 Like

Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by Godmother(f): 9:16am On Oct 24, 2018
Sorry for your experience bro. I don't wish a prison life on anyone, no matter how short the sentence

Another thing, be happy you weren't kept in a Nigeria prison. My church organizes weekly outreaches to these places and the condition I met some of these inmates in will make even you the free man commit suicide.

1 Like

Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by harley88(m): 10:52am On Oct 24, 2018
See your life... jumping from prison to prison. Unrepentant ogre
Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by okwabayi(m): 2:56pm On Oct 24, 2018
I think someone has posted this here from time to time.
The truth is prison is hell. No different from war or famine. Man treasures his freedom and will do anything, even die to ensure it.
I read a lot about conditions in prison and watch occasionally YouTube clips on how things are in the belly of the beast. One thing is for sure, I will never step foot into those walls.
Re: How US And The UK Prisons Differ by AjalaJ(m): 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2018
But some animals deserve to be there.

(1) (Reply)

Surprising Moment Woman Starts Performing Yoga In Her Seat On Board A Plane / Two Fraudsters Sentenced To Jail In Edo State (photo) / MC Oluomo Stabbed With A Poisoned Knife; Both Native & Medical Doctor Incharge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.