Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,007 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Differences Between A CV And A Resume - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Differences Between A CV And A Resume (28680 Views)

How To Write A Resume? / 5 Elements Of A CV That Determines If You Get An Interview Invite / 4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Danurugwo: 6:27am On Oct 24, 2018
Ever wondered why a Brit applies with a CV and an American with a resume? And why does an Aussie apply with both? There are a few differences between the two types of application documents and this article will straighten out your queries as well as tell you where in the world you are likely to use which document. Let me kick off the bonanza by introducing the contender in the blue corner…

CV:
A CV (Curriculum Vitæ, which means course of life in Latin) is an in-depth document that can be laid out over two or more pages and it contains a high level of detail about your achievements, a great deal more than just a career biography. The CV covers your education as well as any other accomplishments like publications, awards, honours etc.

The document tends to be organised chronologically and should make it easy to get an overview of an individual’s full working career. A CV is static and doesn’t change for different positions, the difference would be in the cover letter.

Resume:
A resume, or résumé, is a concise document typically not longer than one page as the intended the reader will not dwell on your document for very long. The goal of a resume is to make an individual stand out from the competition.

The job seeker should adapt the resume to every position they apply for. It is in the applicant’s interest to change the resume from one job application to another and to tailor it to the needs of the specific post. A resume doesn’t have to be ordered chronologically, doesn’t have to cover your whole career like and is a highly customisable document.

Differences:
As stated, three major differences between CVs and resumes are the length, the purpose and the layout. A resume is a brief summary of your skills and experience over one or two pages, a CV is more detailed and can stretch well beyond two pages. The resume will be tailored to each position whereas the CV will stay put and any changes will be in the cover letter.

A CV has a clear chronological order listing the whole career of the individual whereas a resume’s information can be shuffled around to best suit the applicant. I would say the main difference between a resume and a CV is that a CV is intended to be a full record of your career history and a resume is a brief, targeted list of skills and achievements.

Let’s revise:

CV – long, covers your entire career, static
Resume – short, no particular format rule, highly customisable

Usage around the world:
A resume is the preferred application document in the US and Canada. Americans and Canadians would only use a CV when applying for a job abroad or if searching for an academic or research oriented position.

In the UK, Ireland and New Zealand, a CV is used in all contexts and resumes aren’t used at all. The CV prevails in mainland Europe and there is even a European Union CV format available for download.

In Germany, the CV is more commonly known as a Lebenslauf (true to the latin origins) and is only one of many application document the poor German job seekers must produce to get an interview.

In Australia, India and South Africa, the terms resume and CV are used interchangeably. The term resume is used more for jobs in the private sector and CV is more commonplace when applying for public service positions.

Question:
So what gives if you apply for an American company in Europe or vice versa? The jaded folks in HR will accept both types although I would recommend you use the local version. It’s not that hard to convert your document after all and if you hit a brick wall, just ask me for help.

Which do you prefer, the CV, the resume, both, none? Please share your experience in the comments below!

Read more article @www.worldjobtrends.com
Believe me you would love them.

Article source
https://www.worldjobtrends.com/differences-between-a-cv-and-a-resume/

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by femtex007(m): 7:52am On Oct 24, 2018
Thank u
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 24, 2018
To all those still seeking for jobs, I pray that your prayers will be heard...

But above all, I'll advise you to go learn a skill and start freelancing instead of waiting for an employer to help you pay your bills.

Freelancing is real and with it, you can make 5 times the average salary of a Nigerian worker all from the comfort of your home.

I hope someone acts on this advice.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Olatunde10(m): 7:52am On Oct 24, 2018
Good post op
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by dreamwords: 7:53am On Oct 24, 2018
what of different between a child and a pikin smiley

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by qanda: 7:55am On Oct 24, 2018
Ok
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Uche308: 7:57am On Oct 24, 2018
I think I prefer the CV cuz I have not really understood this resume.
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by koffsman(m): 7:57am On Oct 24, 2018
Op thanks for this makes a whole lot of sense aje
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by cooldipo(m): 7:58am On Oct 24, 2018
Job is the koko

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by DannyJ19(m): 8:03am On Oct 24, 2018
Quite educative.
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by anayolity: 8:16am On Oct 24, 2018
apart from affiliate marketing ...whats the best side hustle i can do online
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by vRendoh(m): 8:18am On Oct 24, 2018
Nice one Bro! ....

Not some doggy pose or pancake face pretending to be beautiful ... shocked shocked shocked
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by naturefellow(m): 8:20am On Oct 24, 2018
Uche308:
I think I prefer the CV cuz I have not really understood this resume.
CV is more common place in Nigeria. The 2-4 pages print you go make at your local business center.

Whereas, Resume is a brief, or compressed CV. Often contained in a single page, or two pages maximum.
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by basty: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2018
Good

Educating.
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Danurugwo: 8:28am On Oct 24, 2018
You are always welcomed to www.worldjobtrends.com as many more article awaits you.
Thanks
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Princedapace(m): 8:28am On Oct 24, 2018
Nice

But you can learn a skill and freelancing while u job hunt.. Or make it a full time job like I have done.

Check my profile and read my thread to see how you can enroll.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by tunary(m): 8:32am On Oct 24, 2018
dreamwords:
A child is an adjebotter, a Pickin is an adjekpako.
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Kufbee: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2018
Interesting to know, thanks. But you didn't tell us which one is obtainable in Nigeria
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by ejerukeuzezi(m): 8:36am On Oct 24, 2018
nice one
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by eneyoduke(m): 8:40am On Oct 24, 2018
Kufbee:
Interesting to know, thanks. But you didn't tell us which one is obtainable in Nigeria

Use ur head don't act like Jack that was kill by the army of the zoo
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by policysamuel(m): 8:40am On Oct 24, 2018
dreamwords:

u daft bruh
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Wantedmiller: 8:44am On Oct 24, 2018
BlackAfrican:

But above all, I'll advise you to go learn a skill and start freelancing instead of waiting for an employer to help you pay your bills.

Freelancing is real and with it, you can make 5 times the average salary of a Nigerian worker all from the comfort of your home.

Please can you help a brother?

about this freelancing!
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by tunary(m): 8:45am On Oct 24, 2018
dreamwords:
A child adjebutter, a pickin adjekpako
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 24, 2018
Kufbee:
CV but some businesses are beginning to use resume
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by tunary(m): 8:47am On Oct 24, 2018
anayolity:
apart from affiliate marketing ...whats the best side hustle i can do online
Affiliate marketing or suffer head marketing
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by DBossNG(m): 9:12am On Oct 24, 2018
ok
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by DaCharis2016: 9:34am On Oct 24, 2018
BlackAfrican:

Like which ones can u suggest me that are high paying?
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by waleadex(m): 9:54am On Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for sharing...
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by Kezmanp(m): 10:09am On Oct 24, 2018
BlackAfrican:

hello there, m interested how does it works?
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by TGMISKY(m): 10:10am On Oct 24, 2018
Nice post
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by tolexy111: 10:52am On Oct 24, 2018
I see. For cheap website that cost less that N25000, contact me!
Re: Differences Between A CV And A Resume by phransix2: 10:58am On Oct 24, 2018
BlackAfrican:

pls can u mail me freelancing sites and how I can start? phransix2@yahoo.com

thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Healthstream Alliance Called Me For An Interview / His New Boss Struck The Centre Of His Palm With First Finger, First Handshake / BAT Culture Questionnaire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.